The Education Forum

Lawrence Schiller

John, I do not have the book with me but I will post it tomorrow.

Apparently RFK and Dulles got along quite well. When LBJ wanted Dulles to undertake some mission concerning school desegregation, he enlisted the assistance of RFK and I have read the transcript of a three way call between LBJ, RFK and Dulles.

No doubt RFK wanted some of the secrets of the JFK administration's efforts against Cuba kept secret (even if JFK/RFK were not privy to the assassination attempts they certainly authorized acts of war against Cuba). RFK may have wanted Dulles on the WC specifically to keep those secrets. That, of course, is only surmise on my part.

It should also be remembered that when RN criticized JFK in his book "Six Crises" Allen Dulles publicly defended JFK.

Thanks Tim.

My apologies, it was not Schiller that I was thinking of that was the intellectual author of the Warren Report. The person I am thinking of also has a germanic name.

I am told that Schiller was the only journalist allowed to interview the Manson family.

John

Thanks Tim.

My apologies, it was not Schiller that I was thinking of that was the intellectual author of the Warren Report. The person I am thinking of also has a germanic name.

I am told that Schiller was the only journalist allowed to interview the Manson family.

John

John,

As to the author of the Warren Report, are you thinking of Otto Winnaker?

James

Thanks Tim.

John

John,

James

Thanks James, he's the man. Can you remember anything of his past? Wasn't he somehow tied up with the nazis?

John

Thanks Tim.

John

Forgive the comic relief:

Gilbert Gottfried: "I was interviewing Charlie Manson in the prison cafeteria and he said to me, 'Is it hot in here or am I crazy?'"

And from the same, well, odd perspective: "I was introduced to Jackie Kennedy and I just had to ask her, 'Do you remember where you were when you heard that ... '"

Edited by Charles Drago

Thanks Tim.

John

John,

James

I don't know who Otto Winnaker is, but if anyone was the intellectual father of the WC, it was Eugene Rostow, imo. Rostow was Dean of Yale Law School at the time.

Apart from being the first to suggest the establishment of the WC to LBJ, he also wrote this piece of purple prose about the Warren Report in the Washington Post on the first anniversary of JFK's death:

The Report is a masterly and convincing state paper. It has the high polish of legal writing at its best, carefully composed, terse, restrained and meticulous. In a detached and judicious tone, it deals with every feature of the case, discussing and evaluating the basis for the conclusions the Commission reached, and their rejection of the various contrary theories which had been advanced.

Edited by Mark Stapleton