The Education Forum

Ralph Bequer

Just before Bernardo De Torres left for New Orleans to help Jim Garrison's investigation, he had some press and in one of those interviews, said that he was going to be travelling with Ralph Bequer, who supposedly was De Torres' partner in his detective business.

Has anyone got any information on this Bequer character and or did he show up at all in Garrison's investigation?

James

Edited by James Richards

• 2 weeks later...

Hi James,

whilst I don't claim to be an expert by any means, I have studied the Garrison case a fair bit and I can;t remember ever hearing the name. Unless it was a cover name for some other more well known character. You don't know if De Torres ever had any direct dealings with Gordon Novel do you?

Edited by Francesca Akhtar

Francesca,

My apologies for not responding to your first post as I lost this thread in the shuffle. Poor form on my part I'm afraid.

Firstly, I have nothing that directly ties Torres to Novel but there is a hint of a mid to late 1960's contact through Mitch WerBell but that should be treated as pure speculation.

As to the Torres interview, the reference to Bequer I came across was a newspaper interview.

James

Not of much value James, but the name most likely has Basque origins, much like Echevarria and Goicoechea. It may have an origin in Spain as a major family presence in Cuba dating back many years, much like Vazquez [basque] and other family names from Puerto Rico, etc. Not common Spanish names, hailing from the Euskara.

According to family history, the Baron Miguel de Araoz (circa 1850's)went to Cuba from Oviedo and settled in Trinidad, Cuba. The title of Baron came along with lands in Cuba that included the Bequer Palace (was in ruins in the late 1950's). This was due to work done for the spanish monarchs.

There appear to be a number of Bequers living in Miami today, suggesting emigration to the US via Cuba.

- lee

Francesca,

My apologies for not responding to your first post as I lost this thread in the shuffle. Poor form on my part I'm afraid.

Firstly, I have nothing that directly ties Torres to Novel but there is a hint of a mid to late 1960's contact through Mitch WerBell but that should be treated as pure speculation.

As to the Torres interview, the reference to Bequer I came across was a newspaper interview.

James

Hi James,

no apology needed. It's easy to lose track of threads on this forum as there are so many posts a day. I do it all too frequently and then can't find them again!

I just wondered if perhaps Novel could be 'Ralph Bequer'. Probably not. Interesting what you say about Werbell. I'm not surprised to read your 'speculation' though.

I don't suppose you happen to remember which newspaper it was in do you?

Thanks

Francesca,

James

Hi James,

no apology needed. It's easy to lose track of threads on this forum as there are so many posts a day. I do it all too frequently and then can't find them again!

I just wondered if perhaps Novel could be 'Ralph Bequer'. Probably not. Interesting what you say about Werbell. I'm not surprised to read your 'speculation' though.

Thanks

Francesca,

If I remember correctly, the stories appeared during late February and early March of 1967. Publications such as the San Antonio Light and the Pacific Stars and Stripes carried stories related to Torres.

During these interviews, Torres also claimed he was employed to help the Secret Service protect JFK in Miami four days before his assassination. He said he and some other Cubans were there to look out for trouble makers. And yes, I'm serious.

Torres also said that the Warren Commission was incomplete and that more details would come to light. I believe he was referring to possible revelations that Castro was behind the hit as some folk had not given up on this original scenario. I gather they saw the Garrison investigation as an opportunity to push their agenda. They were certainly determined.

James

Francesca,

James

Hi James,

Thanks

Francesca,

If I remember correctly, the stories appeared during late February and early March of 1967. Publications such as the San Antonio Light and the Pacific Stars and Stripes carried stories related to Torres.

During these interviews, Torres also claimed he was employed to help the Secret Service protect JFK in Miami four days before his assassination. He said he and some other Cubans were there to look out for trouble makers. And yes, I'm serious.

Torres also said that the Warren Commission was incomplete and that more details would come to light. I believe he was referring to possible revelations that Castro was behind the hit as some folk had not given up on this original scenario. I gather they saw the Garrison investigation as an opportunity to push their agenda. They were certainly determined.

James

Thanks for the info James. Very interesting, especially the story about Torres being in Miami - I had not heard that before. If he was indeed there, no doubt it was to help the Secret Service. Of course.........