The Education Forum

Question For BK

Tim Gratz

Well, Bill, the complete text of Public Law No. 102-526 can be found here, to assist in your answer to my question posted on two other threads now several hours ago:

Where in that Act does it MANDATE congressional hearings on compliance with the Act?

President John F. Kennedy Assassination Records Collection Act of 1992

(Public Law No. 102-526):

http://www.accessreports.com/statutes/JFK.ACT.htm

Well, Bill, the complete text of Public Law No. 102-526 can be found here, to assist in your answer to my question posted on two other threads now several hours ago:

Where in that Act does it MANDATE congressional hearings on compliance with the Act?

President John F. Kennedy Assassination Records Collection Act of 1992

(Public Law No. 102-526):

http://www.accessreports.com/statutes/JFK.ACT.htm

Tim,

Congress has the responsiblity of overseeing the execution of all laws, and if you read the very first post in this thread, you will see that the chairman of the Oversight Committee is Henry Waxman, who divided his committee into five subcommittees, with the subcommittee (led by Clay (D. St. Louis, Mo.) being responsible for Information Policy, Census and the National Archives and Records Administration.

There is also a Waxman Oversight Sub-Committee responsible for National Security, and the JFK Act Oversight hearings could be a joint hearing of those two sub-committees, since most of the withheld records are being withheld because of national security.

I think your job is to distract me from mine.

BK

Edited by William Kelly

But Bill, this is what you wrote:

The hearings are mandated so they eventually will be held, it is only a matter of when - and to generate public interest in them when they are held. [Emphasis supplied.]

That just ain't the case.

Nobody would argue that Congress does not have the authority to investigate and hold hearings re the performance of any federal agency. That is simply a truism.

You could not even get the name of the chairman of the HSCA correct. Little wonder you misstated the law.

Of course I would support any hearings to investigate why documents were destroyed and why the ARRB closed shop while there were still documents to be processed. But obtaining such hearings will not be automatic, it cannot be said that they "eventually will be held".

But Bill, this is what you wrote:

The hearings are mandated so they eventually will be held, it is only a matter of when - and to generate public interest in them when they are held. [Emphasis supplied.]

That just ain't the case.

...... But obtaining such hearings will not be automatic, it cannot be said that they "eventually will be held".

JFK ACT

SECTION 4

JFK ACT at NARA

(d) Additional Report Requirements.

.....(3) Oversight. The Committee on Government Operations of the House of Representatives and the Committee on Government Affairs of the Senate shall have continuing oversight jurisdiction with respect to the collection...

SECTION 7

.....(L) Oversight.

(1) The Committee on Governmnet Operations of the House of Representives and teh Committee on Government Affairs shall have continuing oversight jurisdiction with respect to the official conduct of the Review Board and the disposition of the posponed records after the termination of the Review Board and shall have access to any records held or created by the Review Board.

(2) The Review Board shall have the duty to cooperate with the exercise of such oversight jurisdiction....

BK