The Education Forum

TAPES OF HSCA HEARINGS

Tim Gratz

Tim, most of the hearings were broadcast on public television. It is an ongoing mystery to me why they have never been widely available. After comparing some of what I have to the transcripts, and exchanging a few emails with Larry Sturdivan, I think I know why. The questions asked by the congressmen were all scripted by Blakey and his staff. Some of the congressmen strayed from the script and came off as inarticulate. Similarly, many of the "experts" made mistakes or came off as inarticulate and confused. As a result, some of the questions and responses were were re-written for the transcripts. I suspect the HSCA may have petitioned PBS to keep the evidence for this away from the public.

According to Gary Mack, NPR (national public radio) in Washington DC broadcast

ALL of the hearings and recorded it.

I made cassettes of the entire hearings, but have never listened to them. I may

have a few gaps here and there.

Jack

Jack, if you ever come across a tape of Sturdivan's testimony, and can make me a copy, I would be most grateful. I have a whole section on his testimony at patspeer.com, and have yet to settle the simple question of whether or not he said "800 feet per second" or "800 meters per second" at a key point in his testimony.

According to Gary Mack, NPR (national public radio) in Washington DC broadcast

ALL of the hearings and recorded it.

I made cassettes of the entire hearings, but have never listened to them. I may

have a few gaps here and there.

Jack

Jack, if you ever come across a tape of Sturdivan's testimony, and can make me a copy, I would be most grateful. I have a whole section on his testimony at patspeer.com, and have yet to settle the simple question of whether or not he said "800 feet per second" or "800 meters per second" at a key point in his testimony.

I have far more important things to do than listen to old tapes. However, I am in the

process of providing many things to a university, where they may be available sometime

in the future.

Jack