The Education Forum

Blackmailing the Vatican?

Guest David Guyatt

Guest David Guyatt

Three years ago, on 13th October 2004, the Knights Templar demanded an apology from the Pope for their dissolution on Friday, 13th October 1307. An apology was to be provided in time for their Order’s 700th anniversary on 13th October 2007.

And so it was with the announcement, on 4th October 2007 – 7 days before the 700th anniversary - that the Vatican did indeed apologise to the Order of knights, by publishing parchments of their trials, all those years ago, in which it is shown that they did not commit heresy at all but, rather, were subjected to the greed of the king of France who desired their wealth and who leant of the then Pope to have them rounded up and their possessions seized.

The question, if anyone cares, is what do the Knights Templar have on the Vatican that would induce it, after 700 years, to issue an apology???

The number “7” features quite prominently in matters surrounding the Knights Templar. Reading behind the lines is also advised. The Templars were also very good at cryptography and were the original bankers of the West and the “Promissory Note” derived from their coded use of such.

David

Hertford, home of the Holy Grail

An ancient secret society; a demand for a papal apology; and a network of hidden tunnels. Strange things have been stirring in Hertfordshire recently. Oliver Burkeman goes in search of the Knights Templar and, perhaps, the cup of Christ

Tuesday January 4, 2005

The Guardian

One of the problems with secret societies - especially the kind whose members exert a shadowy influence on the course of world events - is that they can be a bit difficult to track down. Never was this more true than of the Knights Templar, the ancient Catholic order rumoured, among other things, to know the whereabouts of the Holy Grail. Officially, the Templars don't exist, having been driven underground by the pope more than 600 years ago; in The Da Vinci Code, they are described as inhabiting "a precarious world where fact, lore and misinformation had become so intertwined that extracting a pristine truth was almost impossible". Nobody even seems to agree on what the Holy Grail is: some say it is the cup used by Jesus at the Last Supper; others that it was used to collect his blood at the crucifixion. Needless to say, the Templars haven't been too eager to clarify any of this publicly.

Then, late last year, the group apparently made an unprecedented communication with the outside world. It emerged that the Templars were demanding an official apology from the Vatican, for having persecuted them in the 14th century - and that the Vatican was giving "serious consideration" to the matter. The demand came in a letter, signed on behalf of the grand master of the Templars. And for the conspiracy theorists who have pursued the knights for centuries, it was accompanied by a tantalising clue: an address. In Hertford.

If there is something implausible in the idea that huge stretches of world history have been secretly coordinated from a market town just north of the M25 - well, maybe that's what they want you to think. The local newspaper, the Hertfordshire Mercury, certainly seems convinced: over the past few months it has published several intriguing stories quoting local Templars, who told its reporter of a secret network of tunnels under the town that was still in use by the order. "It reaches beyond well known central Hertford locations," one Templar said, "including the tourist office, the castle, Monsoon, Threshers, the post office, Bayley Hall, and the council offices." Treasures of "immense importance" were hidden there, it was claimed. Was the quest for the Holy Grail finally about to come to an end? More surprisingly still, was it about to come to an end underneath Monsoon on Market Place?

The man who has persuaded the Vatican to consider apologising, Tim Acheson, meets the Guardian in icy morning fog in Hertford, wearing smart pinstriped trousers and a thick winter overcoat. His midnight-blue sports car is parked nearby. "As you might expect," he says, setting the tone for the day, "there are going to be some things that I'm not able to discuss."

Acheson claims to trace his ancestry to a renowned Scottish Templar family of the same name, though he won't confirm his own role in the group. Might he just be a practical joker who managed to fool the Vatican? "That could well be, couldn't it?" he says, as we order coffee in a Hertford establishment closely modelled on All Bar One. "I can't tell you anything to prove that I'm not. I think that would be a perfectly reasonable theory."

There is, however, sound historical footing for the idea that a Vatican apology might be warranted. The Templars were victims of their own success: they had been granted the right to operate, during the era of the Crusades, with unprecedented freedom, levying taxes and growing rich by establishing some of Europe's first banks. (According to legend, they also invented the biscuit.) Envy and hostility ran high, until, on Friday, October 13 1307 - the original unlucky Friday the 13th - hundreds of Templars were arrested in France. They stood accused of homosexuality, of devil worship, of crimes "horrible to contemplate, terrible to hear of", in the words of King Philip of France, who ordered the arrests. They were tortured, by the Inquisition, into admitting heresy, including their scandalous belief that Jesus had had children with Mary Magdalene. Their grand master, Jacques de Molay, was burned at the stake a few years later, and the Templars were officially disbanded by the Pope.

But only officially. "The vast majority of Templars either escaped, or didn't escape, but survived," Acheson says. So how did they end up in Hertford? History records that a number of them were imprisoned in Hertford Castle, but how did Hertford become a centre of operations? "I can't really tell you that. All I can tell you - it's going to be quite vague - is that they flourished in western Europe." He explains that there is a stained-glass window in St Andrew's Church, just down the street, that contains a clear metaphorical allusion to the Holy Grail, and a cryptic hint that it might be hidden in Hertford. In the picture, Acheson adds, Jesus and Mary Magdalene are looking at each other "in a very meaningful way". (Later, I find the window, interrupting local parishioners who are decorating the church for Christmas. I think I can see what Acheson means about Jesus's expression, although mainly he just looks a bit depressed.)

Among the many things that don't quite add up about the Templars' request for an apology is: why now? Why break the silence, drawing all manner of unwanted curiosity from Grail hunters and Da Vinci Code tourists? Public accountability is a laudable goal, but it's hardly something you expect from the secret rulers of the universe. Indeed, when a group of amateur archaeologists recently announced their intention to investigate Hertford's tunnel network, someone posted a message on a local website warning that anyone who tried would be "dealt with". The message read: "Anybody intending to find out more, let alone discover hidden areas of the labyrinth, should check their life insurance policy very carefully indeed."

Acheson simply says he thinks it would be fitting for the Vatican to issue their apology in time for 2007, the 700th anniversary of the start of the Templar suppression. "Among my peers, there are people like me who believe that these issues deserve further attention ... There's a new generation coming through that strongly believes it's time to be a bit more open. I'm part of that generation." Besides, he says ominously, "Things are about to happen that will deserve attention."

The notion that "things are about to happen" recurs throughout the Templar conspiracy theories that clog up the internet. Seemingly, 2000 had been awaited as a watershed, the moment the Templars' secret knowledge would cascade into the public domain. It didn't happen, of course.

So what sort of "things" is Acheson talking about?

"I can't tell you."

OK. But could you maybe give me a rough idea of the timescale? Are these things going to happen this year? This decade? Next century? "I honestly can't tell you. I know it sounds ridiculous, but I can't tell you."

Acheson takes me on a walking tour of Hertford, and proves a knowledgeable guide, but a frustratingly cryptic one, too. So I decide to take matters into my own hands and head for Monsoon. Gemma, the manager, responds far more patiently to Grail-related inquiries than might arguably be her prerogative. There's no tunnel beneath the shop, she insists, "just the store room" - but it's "definitely haunted. When we have sales meetings there you can hear someone walking over our heads, or doing the vacuuming. But upstairs, the shop's closed and empty."

Has she ever found anything unexpected down there? Like maybe a cup, or something? "No," she says. "But there is ... the Accessorize cupboard." She leads the way through the store to the adjoining branch of Accessorize, pushing past a display stand of silky hats towards a corner cupboard. Opening it, she points to a square piece of metal resembling a manhole cover, sunk into the floor. "We don't know what's under there. But there's a strange smell." She enlists a colleague, Jo, who has worked there longer. "Have they ever looked underneath there?" Gemma asks.

"Yes," Jo replies. It would be atmospheric to be able to report, at this point, that her eyes open wide with terror, that she starts to tremble. But she doesn't. "It smelt a lot," is all she can remember.

Generally, in fact, the people of Hertford seem rather reticent on the subject of the Grail. Do they know something they're not telling? Eventually there seems nothing for it but to abandon any attempt at subtlety and ask Acheson directly.

"Tim," I say, as we walk through the fog back to his car, "do you know where the Holy Grail is?"

We stop at the kerbside to let an articulated lorry pull out. Then we cross the road, past a Mazda dealership, towards the car park.

"No," Acheson says after a while, with a thoughtful expression. "No, I'm afraid I don't."

Other links:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article396786.ece

http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/em/fr/-/1/hi/worl...ope/7044741.stm

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml...ews/2007/10/05/

There is, however, sound historical footing for the idea that a Vatican apology might be warranted. The Templars were victims of their own success: they had been granted the right to operate, during the era of the Crusades, with unprecedented freedom, levying taxes and growing rich by establishing some of Europe's first banks. (According to legend, they also invented the biscuit.) Envy and hostility ran high, until, on Friday, October 13 1307 - the original unlucky Friday the 13th - hundreds of Templars were arrested in France. They stood accused of homosexuality, *of devil worship*, of crimes "horrible to contemplate, terrible to hear of", in the words of King Philip of France, who ordered the arrests. They were tortured, by the Inquisition, into admitting heresy, including their scandalous belief that Jesus had had children with Mary Magdalene. Their grand master, Jacques de Molay, was burned at the stake a few years later, and the Templars were officially disbanded by the Pope.

David .... I read a book a few years ago called 'The Head Of God' about the templar links to Roslyn Chapel , and it mentioned something about the worship of a shrunken bearded head by the name of Baphomet that the author suggested may have been the BE-headED of John The Baptist.

http://www.templarhistory.com/baphomet.html

http://www.templarhistory.com/head.html

I don't usually do this, but I am now bumping this post and a few others, as there were moderated posts here that were not approved immediately, and might be left in the back possibly unnoticed.

Edited by Antti Hynonen

David wrote (my emphasis):

Three years ago, on 13th October 2004, the Knights Templar demanded an apology from the Pope for their dissolution on Friday, 13th October 1307. An apology was to be provided in time for their Order’s 700th anniversary on 13th October 2007.

And so it was with the announcement, on 4th October 2007 – 7 days before the 700th anniversary - that the Vatican did indeed apologise to the Order of knights, by publishing parchments of their trials, all those years ago, in which it is shown that they did not commit heresy at all but, rather, were subjected to the greed of the king of France who desired their wealth and who leant of the then Pope to have them rounded up and their possessions seized.

If October 4th is SEVEN days before the 700th anniversary then the date would be October 11, would it not? Last I checked 4 plus 7 is 11.

But I do believe the dissolution was on Friday the 13th and that if I recall started the superstition about Friday the 13th.

I am glad the Vatican apologized to the Knights. About time, I'd say!

Edited by Tim Gratz

Guest David Guyatt
David .... I read a book a few years ago called 'The Head Of God' about the templar links to Roslyn Chapel , and it mentioned something about the worship of a shrunken bearded head by the name of Baphomet that the author suggested may have been the BE-headED of John The Baptist.

http://www.templarhistory.com/baphomet.html

http://www.templarhistory.com/head.html

Duane, the skull known as Baphomet was certainly an important symbol to the Templars and there have certainly been connections made to Rosslyn chapel for all sorts of reasons. The word "Baphomet" was enciphered and the Atbash cipher deciphered it as SOPHIA a greek word meaning wisdom. All very curious. The skull, of course, had very strong connections to the middle ages alchemists and was regarded as a symbol par excellence of the alchemical alembic. But there certainly appear to be many deep secrets tied up here.

David

Guest David Guyatt
David wrote (my emphasis):

If October 4th is SEVEN days before the 700th anniversary then the date would be October 11, would it not? Last I checked 4 plus 7 is 11.

But I do believe the dissolution was on Friday the 13th and that if I recall started the superstition about Friday the 13th.

I am glad the Vatican apologized to the Knights. About time, I'd say!

Tim,

We've had this debate about numbers before. C'mon... everyone knows that 4 + 7 = 13. Sheesh. B)

Yes, you're right that the Friday 13th superstition began as a result of the arrest and dissolution of the Templars. It's curious how some things propogate themselves, I think.

My guess is that the Pope was forced to apologise.

But who really knows.

David

Geez! All this Panzer Pope garbage has been thoroughly debunked. Why don't you

check out the http://markriebling.com links posted by Claudio. Or check out:

The Myth of Hitler's Pope which was written by a Rabbi who knew whereof he spoke.

The author of Hitler's Pope it turns out, even doctored photos of the Pope at a von Ribbentrop

reception on the cover of the book, to hide the fact that it occurred in 1927 and not 1937 as he

had claimed. This author even recanted after the publishing of The Myth of Hitler's Pope and

admitted he was wrong. Dead wrong. I already posted these links. Can you also admit

that you are wrong on this topic after reading about Mark Riebling's upcoming book

called "The Vatican Assassins" which documents 3 attempts at Tyrannicide by Pope Paul XII?

Or read what the author of The Myth of Hitler's Pope said about recently revealed documents

and what his conclusion is about these unjustified attacks on Pope Pius XII? Boy I hope so.

To perpetuate these discredited Vatican attacks seriously questions your credibility in my mind

at least. Seriously.

Here is the link to Vatican Assassins by Mark Riebling...

http://www.markriebling.com/archives/00000230.html

Was the Pope a Nazi?

Pius XII, pope from 1939 to 1958, has been accused of complicity in the Holocaust because he failed to denounce explicitly the extermination of the European Jews. This allegation has strained relations between Catholics and Jews, and has led many prominent liberal Catholics to repudiate the "centralized model of papal power" which Pius exemplified. Yet whatever this pope's attitudes toward Jews, it is important not to conflate those attitudes with his policies toward the Nazis. In fact, Pius was a committed opponent of Hitler -- and even tried to help kill him.

by Mark Riebling

On March 21, 2000, a helicopter landed on Mount Scopus, Israel, overlooking Old Jerusalem. Pope John Paul II shuffled out onto the helipad, leaning on a cane. He had come to Israel to realize a lifelong dream: To retrace the footsteps of Jesus, from birth to death to resurrection. The Holy Father was grimly aware, however, that his pilgrimage would be haunted by history. Two days earlier, Jewish protesters had spray-painted the landing site with red swastikas and the question: "Where were you Catholics during the Holocaust?"1

During the Holocaust John Paul, then known as Karol Wojtila, had belonged to a political branch of the Polish military resistance. To avoid arrest by German forces he had hid in the Krakow archbishop's palace from August 1944 until January 1945. He had witnessed the persecution and murder of Jewish friends from his hometown, Wadowice; he had seen, too, the indifference of many Polish Catholics to the fate of the Jews. Time had not erased the terrible memories. As pope he sought redemption by stressing the two faiths' common biblical roots, and by forging Vatican diplomatic ties with Israel. In Jerusalem he pushed these efforts a step farther. He went to the Western Wall, and prayed, and pushed a piece of votive paper into its fissures.2 Then, at the Yad Vashem Holocaust Memorial, he offered an unprecedented expression of grief.

"As bishop of Rome and successor of the Apostle Peter," he said in the candlelit Hall of Remembrance, "I assure the Jewish people that the Catholic Church... is deeply saddened by the hatred, acts of persecution, and displays of anti-Semitism directed against the Jews by Christians, at any time, and in any place." After kneeling in silent prayer, the pope crossed the hall, its floor engraved with the names of death camps, to greet six Polish Holocaust survivors. When one of the survivors began crying, John Paul gently patted her arm.3

Jewish leaders were disappointed with the pope's declaration at Yad Vashem. "I waited for statements that would speak about people from the Church who had committed crimes against the Jewish people," lamented Meir Lau, Israel's Chief Ashkenazic Rabbi. Specifically, Lau had hoped that John Paul would censure the wartime pope, Pius XII, for silence and inaction during the Holocaust. "It is impossible to correct a crime of the past, without any mention, for example, of Pius XII, who stood on the blood of the victims and did not say a word."4

Ceremony at Yad Vashem Holocaust Memorial.

Over that one point, over that one pope, Catholic-Jewish detente would deadlock.5 Even as Catholicism's ambiguous relation to Nazism became the defining issue of his pilgrimage, the pope refused to fault his wartime predecessor.6 To the contrary, John Paul repeatedly hailed him as a "great pope."7 Proceedings were even underway to beatify Pius -- the last step before making him a saint.8 Israel had asked the Vatican to delay beatification for 50 years, so that historians could study the "Pius Problem." But John Paul would not bend to outside pressure, and his aides were unwilling to wait for scholarly consensus. "Why wait fifty years?" asked Jesuit Father Peter Gumpel, who was overseeing Pius' beatification. "Five-hundred years would not be enough for historians to agree."9

It was Pius XII's unlucky lot to head the world's largest religion, and smallest sovereign-state, during the bloodiest years of the bloodiest century in history. The princes of the Church had once thought him the ideal wartime pope: Before he was elected Pius XII, when he was still Cardinal Eugenio Pacelli,10 his realism and discretion had made him the dean of papal diplomats. As Pope, his courtly bearing befitted the Vatican's Renaissance-like world of "rustling silk, hushed conversations, and insults measured in the depths of bishops' bows."11 Yet the pressures on Pius, moral and political pressures more intense than those endured by any previous pope, took an undeniable toll. He had a nervous stomach, and by war's end, although he stood six feet, he weighed only 125 pounds. In public, he was seldom photographed smiling; in private, he was probably unhappy.12 To nuns in the papal household he was a pale, severe figure, "with black penetrating eyes lost in the glint of rimless spectacles,"13 who liked to keep important threads in his own hands, and who was happiest at his desk, surrounded by dictionaries.14 His deputies called him "Segregatus," Latin for "one who keeps himself apart."15 His only constant companion was a pet goldfinch, which he had found injured in the Vatican gardens and nursed to health. He slept little, knelt in prayer for hours. He seemed to have divorced his body, to develop his soul; to some, he seemed more a disembodied spirit than a man. At the time such descriptions were considered flattering, as prescriptions for a holy life. Many called Pius a living saint; Vatican bureaucrats took telephone calls from him on their knees.16 No one questioned British novelist Graham Greene's 1951 encomium on "a pope who so many of us believe will rank among the greatest."17 Yet in the second half of the twentieth century, Pius XII's reputation would be transvalued by one the strangest and most total makeovers in the annals of biography.

During his own time he had been thought an opponent of Hitler. Though as Cardinal Secretary of State he had negotiated a concordat (1933) with the Third Reich, the future Pius XII was only carrying out the appeasement policies of then-Pope Pius XI, who had earlier signed a concordat with Mussolini, and who vowed "to negotiate with the Devil himself" to preserve Church freedoms.18 Pacelli was pessimistic about the Nazis by 1934, and to the punch of public criticism he was beaten only by Churchill.19 "The Church will never come to terms with the Nazis," Pacelli told 250,000 pilgrims at Lourdes, in April 1935, "as long as they persist in their racial philosophy." In the same speech he condemned "superstitions of race and blood" as "contrary to the Christian faith."20 Reich propagandists did not fail to perceive or to publicize his hostility. A few weeks before he was elected Pius XII (March 2, 1939), the Nazi press included him in a rogue's gallery of "Agitators in the Vatican against Fascism and National Socialism."21 The morning after his election, The New York Times noted that the new pope was greeted with "applause around the world, except in Germany," where the Berlin Morgenpost granted that he was "not regarded with favor... because he was always opposed to Nazism."22 In 1942 the Reich Propaganda Ministry printed ten million copies of a pamphlet attacking "the present pro-Jewish pope."23 By July 1943 Hitler was plotting to kidnap Pius XII, to silence and neutralize him.24 S.S. chief Heinrich Himmler advocated his public execution.25

A 1937 S.S. cartoon mocking the future Pius XII as a supporter of Jews and anti-Nazis. The caption reads: "She's not too pretty. But she cooks well!"

Jews were as nearly laudatory as the Nazis were hostile. Zionist newspapers celebrated his election,26 and praised his posture throughout the war. His first encyclical,27 Summi Pontificatus, was especially revered.28 "The spirit, the teaching and the work of the Church," Pius wrote in October 1939, ''can never be other than that which the Apostle of the Gentiles preached: 'there is neither Gentile nor Jew.'"29

Jewish groups hailed Pius' use of Vatican radio to denounce German atrocities,30 and extolled his sheltering of Italian-Jewish scholars in the Vatican's libraries.31 In 1945 the World Jewish Congress gave Pius more than $1 million (at present value) for charity works, in "gratitude to the august Pontiff for his work in support of persecuted Jews."32 Albert Einstein was among the many prominent Jews who publicly expressed admiration.33

Nations warring with Germany considered Pius an ally. British and U.S. propagandists reprinted his 1942 Christmas address, which denounced the persecution "of hundreds of thousands who, without any fault of their own, sometimes only by reason of their nationality or race, are marked down for death or progressive extinction."34 Practically every public statement the pope made during the war was praised for its outspokenness by The New York Times. "The voice of Pius XII," that paper averred in December 1941, "is a lonely voice in the silence and darkness.... he is about the only ruler left on the Continent of Europe who dares to raise his voice at all."35 Nor was Allied praise merely wartime "PR," masking a less charitable view: Pius was identified as an anti-Nazi in secret intelligence-reports to President Roosevelt.36 Even the weekly of the Communist International -- no friend of the Church -- termed Pius "the leader of the Catholic [anti-Nazi] resistance movement."37

The consensus frayed only after the war, as Stalin caged Eastern Europe.38 Aiming to discredit the ancien regimes, communist propagandists systematically accused Catholics and other "reactionary" groups of collaborating with Hitler. Bishops were hauled into show trials, and on January 14, 1946, in the Czech-communist magazine Prace, Pius himself was branded a Nazi stooge.39 He had been "soft" on Nazism, it was claimed, because of his "obsessive panic" over atheistic communism.40 The Soviet line was toed by some Western leftists; in 1950, for instance, Leon Poliakov suggested in Commentary that Pius's anticommunism had caused him to keep "silent" on the Holocaust.41 World opinion was largely unaffected, however, and even Poliakov doubted whether stronger-worded protests would have deterred a madman like Hitler. The allegation of "silence" had so little impact that when Pius died (Oct. 9, 1958), Golda Meir was among the many Jewish leaders who openly mourned him. "When fearful martyrdom came to our people," she said, "the voice of the pope was raised for its victims."42

The real Pius-controversy began in February 1963, when Rolf Hochhuth's play Der Stellvertreter (The Deputy) premiered on a Berlin stage. Hochhuth, an anti-clerical43 Protestant and former member of the Hitler Youth,44 filtered the Stalinist critique through a psychological prism.45 Pius was to Hochhuth a ruthless executive, "an over-ambitious careerist," a moral coward who cared more about Vatican stock-holdings than about Hitler's victims.46 The play was especially critical of Pius for failing to save the Jews of Rome: For nearly nine months, Hochhuth charged, the pope had "looked on in silence while the victims were being loaded on trucks in front of the very door of the Vatican."47 As one of the Deputy's leads, a young Jesuit, laments: "A Vicar of Christ who sees these things before his eyes and still remains silent because of state policies, who delays even one day... such a pope... is a criminal."48

Hochhuth's play started an intellectual firestorm. His portrait of Pius was protested by a former Deputy-Chief Prosecutor at the Nuremberg trials,49 by both the British and German wartime ambassadors to the Holy See,50 and by the Director of International Affairs for the Anti-Defamation League of B'nai B'rith.51 American Jewish organizations pressured one Broadway producer into to dropping the play, and tried to dissuade another from backing it.52 In Paris some ticket-holders rushed the stage and tried to keep the actors from going on.53 But the outcry only publicized what might have otherwise died on the media vine.54 The Deputy was quickly translated into 20 languages, and the controversy captured the popular imagination. After two decades of shamed silence, a clamorous inquiry into the Holocaust had begun.55 The capture of genocide-planner Adolf Eichmann (1960), the publication of Raul Hilberg's seminal Destruction of the European Jews (1961), and the discovery of Anne Frank's diary (1962) created a craving for explanations. Lodging blame with Pius XII helped explain the inexplicable.56

In later years it would sometimes be forgotten that Pius' reputation was ruined by a work of fiction. In the play's afterward, Hochhuth admitted that "...the action does not follow the historical course of events.... I allowed my imagination free play."57 But fiction had often done more to mold mass consciousness than dry chronicle of fact. Frank Norris' The Octopus had led to regulation of big business; Harriet Stowe's Uncle Tom's Cabin had changed white minds about slavery; Eugene Sue's The Wandering Jew had bred anti-Jesuit hysteria in Europe. Hochhuth's play influenced popular opinion in a similar way.58 Though a Mike Wallace television documentary on Pius, produced just before The Deputy, did not mention the dispute, no later biography could fail to consider it.59

Over time the critical voices became a chorus. Scholars reevaluated Pius XII's public statements, and found them wanting.60 Words which had once seemed bold turned out to be mere generalities, church-centered and oblique.61 Most damningly, it was alleged that the pope had never mentioned the Jews at all in his wartime remarks. Though Pius had used the word in his first encyclical, his supposed papal failure to say "Jew" became the great dogma of the academic sub-discipline which could be termed "Pius Studies." Thus Michael R. Marrus, Professor of Holocaust Studies at the University of Toronto:

The Vatican relentlessly refrained even from pronouncing the word 'Jews' throughout the entire war.62

-- and David I. Kertzer, Professor of Social Science at Brown University:

As millions of Jews were being murdered, Pius could never bring himself to publicly utter the word 'Jew.'63

-- and Daniel Jonah Goldhagen, Associate Professor of European Studies at Harvard:

In public statements by Pius XII... any mention of the Jews is conspicuously absent. ... Pius XII chose again and again not to mention the Jews publicly.64

In a work which won the National Jewish Book Award, Susan Zuccotti actually quoted surrounding passages of Summi Pontificatus, then pronounced:

The encyclical never mentioned Jews.65

Even the Vatican's relator in the Pius beatification proceedings, Jesuit Father Peter Gumpel, seemed unaware of the Pope's words.

It is true that in his public protests Pius XII never used the word 'Jew.'66

A consensus thus emerged that Pius had been "silent" -- just as Hochhuth had charged. From this alleged silence, papal complicity in the Holocaust was inferred. The editors of The New York Times, who during the war asserted that Pius "put himself squarely against Hitlerism,"67 now faulted him for his "failure to stand squarely against the evil that swept across Europe."68 The Holocaust Museum in Washington put up an exhibit about Pius' alleged silence; the Bronx Museum of Art purchased a painting, "Nazi Butchers," featuring Pius in full papal regalia. He became the anti-hero of a black legend, replete with wild, unsupported accusations.69 Jewish activists alleged on Larry King Live that Pius had used a "ratline" of convents and monasteries to smuggle 30,000 Nazi war-criminals to South America, where Vatican gold purportedly financed lavish Fourth-Reich hideouts.70 People were willing to believe the worst; the Pius debate had created a serious image-problem for the whole Church.

The image problem was aggravated by one highly problematic image. An April 1997 article in The New Yorker, by the liberal Catholic James Carroll,71 featured a vintage photo of what appeared to be Pope Pius XII, saluted by German soldiers. The prominence in the foreground of a combat helmet, of the style made famous by German soldiers in World War Two, lent the clear impression that Pope Pius XII was being given a Nazi honor-guard.72 The Vatican in fact received angry letters from people who saw the photograph and thought the pope was serving as some kind of adviser to Hitler.73

What readers did not know, and The New Yorker did not impart, was that the photograph was taken in 1927, six years before Hitler took power, and twelve years before Pacelli became pope. The papal nuncio was simply receiving the dignified treatment accorded all diplomats by a democratic government, under which Jews had full rights. Nevertheless, the photograph became a favorite of those who sought to portray Pius XII as complicit in the Holocaust. In March 1998 it was spread over two pages in the New York Times Magazine, illustrating an article packed with criticism of Pius by a host Jewish leaders.74 In October 1999 the photo appeared in The Atlantic Monthly, accompanying yet another article by Carroll.75 A month later it graced the cover of a bestselling book by British journalist John Cornwell, where it seemed instantly to prove that Pius was, as claimed in the provocative title, "Hitler's Pope."

Pacelli leaves a 1927 reception for German President von Hindenburg.

Cornwell's publishers heightened the effect of the image by quite underhanded means. The caption from the rear cover of the dust jacket on British editions stated falsely that the photograph was taken in March 1939, the month Pacelli was made pope. Given that caption, and the fact that Pacelli was dressed in diplomatic robes resembling the finest in papal wear, a fair-minded person could have concluded from the photo -- as did at least one reviewer of the book76 -- that Pius visited Hitler just after being elected pope.77

The same image, cropped and blurred.

Even more subtle and ingenious was the device used by Cornwell's American publisher, the Viking Press. They also used the photo, but altered it. Everything in the frame except the faux-Pius was digitally defocused, and the result seemed even more dramatically to validate Cornwell's thesis. The soldier to Pacelli's left was so badly blurred that it was impossible even for a well-trained observer to recognize that he wore a Weimar rather than a Nazi uniform. Further, the photo had been cropped, so that the car door -- characteristic of automobiles from the 1920s -- had disappeared. The cropping and the blurring removed any clues that the photo did not date from the Nazi period.78 The apparently incriminating image, so effectively associated the scandalous title, sealed the reputation of Pius XII as a partner in the massacre of millions.79

By March 2000, as John Paul II knelt and prayed in the dark hall at Yad Vashem, the Pius Problem could be summed up in one question: Why hadn't the pope done more to resist Hitler? Critics posited cowardice, insensitivity, political calculation, anti-Semitism, and apathy; some just said Pius was a Nazi, and left it at that.80 Catholic apologists countered that the pope was silenced and paralyzed by a desire to save lives, since "a strong condemnation would have increased the persecution."81 Both sides in the debate generally agreed, however, that Pius did little or nothing to oppose the Nazis.82

Both sides were wrong. The entire Nazi era was marked by dramatic, if secret, Church resistance, in which the pope played a pivotal role. The signature element in this resistance was Pius XII's participation in the conspiracies to kill Adolf Hitler.

[TO BE CONTINUED: This article is a selection from the preface of Vatican Assassins? The Pope, the Jesuits, and the Plot to Kill Hitler, forthcoming from HarperCollins.]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Footnotes

Allesandra Stanley, "Pope Begins His Holy Land Pilgrimage in Jordan," The New York Times, March 21, 2000, p. A-10; "Pope Looks Toward the Promised Land," The New York Times, March 21, 2000, p. 1; The New York Times, March 22, 2000, p. A-8; Associated Press (NY), March 19, 2000, 1334 EST.

Andrew Sullivan, "Christianity's Original Sin," The New York Times, January 14, 2001, Section 7, p. 5.

Jocelyn Novecek, "Pope Speaks at Holocaust Memorial," Associated Press, March 23, 2000; Alessandra Stanley, "At Yad Vashem, Pope Tries to Salve History's Scars," The New York Times, March 24, 2000, p. A-1; Hubert B. Herring, "Pope Speaks of Holocaust During Visit to Israel," The New York Times, March 26, 2000, Section 4, p. 2; David I. Kertzer, The Popes Against the Jews (Alfred A. Knopf, 2001), p. 6.

The New York Times, March 24, 2000; Associated Press (NY), March 7, 2000, 1121 EST.

Rabbi Jack Bemporad, director of the Center for Interfaith Understanding, acknowledged that attacks on Pius were causing "a Catholic backlash"; Jesuit Father Peter Gumpel warned that the attacks would lead to "a rise of anti-Semitic feeling." In June 1999 the Rev. David Jaeger, Vatican delegate on a committee to improve interfaith relations, termed the Pius accusations a "blood libel," then pointedly condemned portrayals of Jesus in Jewish religious texts. Jaeger claimed, for instance, that the Hebrew word for Jesus, "Yeshu," was an acronym for "May his name and memory be erased." Catholics had also long resented that the Talmud referred to Yeshu as the bastard son of Miriam (Mary) and a Roman solider named Pantera; the story had been circulated as 150 A.D., when the Christian writer Origen heard it from the pagan philosopher Celsus. Alessandra Stanley, "Book Revives Issue of Pius XII and Holocaust," The New York Times, November 3, 1999, p. A-3; Margherita Marchione, Pope Pius XII: Architect for Peace (Mahwah, New Jersey: Paulist Press, 1999), p. 29; "Background For Pope's Visit To Holy Land," Fides (Rome) March 16, 2000; "Vatican Official Miffed at Israel," Associated Press, July 20, 1999; Ian Wilson, Jesus: The Evidence (San Francisco: Harper Collins, 1984), pp. 62-64.

John Jay Hughes, "Hitler, the War, and the Pope," Association of Contemporary Church Historians Newsletter, Vol. VI, no. 11, November 2000.

"Jews Would Welcome Archive Opening," AP, March 26, 1998. When journalists questioned John Paul about Pius' wartime record, the normally mild pontiff reacted sharply, and advised them to read the work of a Jesuit Historian, Father Blet (Pius XII and the Second World War: According to the Archives of the Vatican [Mahwah, New Jersey: Paulist Press], 1999).John Jay Hughes, "Hitler, the War, and the Pope," Association of Contemporary Church Historians Newsletter, Vol. VI, no. 11, November 2000.

The beatification proceedings were begun by Pope Paul VI in 1964.

Marchione, loc. cit.

Throughout this work, I refer to him as "Pacelli" for the time before he was pontiff (1876-1939), and as "Pius XII" for the term of his pontificate (1939-58).

John Cooney, The American Pope: The Life and Times of Francis Cardinal Spellman (Times Books, 1984), p. 33.

All these traits are frequently noted by biographers. For portraits by two Vatican officials who worked closely with this pope, see Robert Leiber, "Pius XII," Stimmen der Zeit, November 1958, and Domenico Tardini, Memories of Pius XII, Rosemary Goldie, Tr. (Westminster, Maryland: Newman Press, 1961). For early portraits in English see Camile Cianfarra, The Vatican and the War (E.P. Dutton, 1945), pp. 79ff; Kies van Hoek, Pope Pius XII: Priest and Statesman (Philosophical Library, 1945); Charles Hugo Doyle, The Life of Pope Pius XII (Sydney: Invincible Press, 1947); Piero Bargellini, Pius XII: The Angelic Shepherd (New York: The Good Shepherd Publishing Corporation, 1950); Alden Hatch and Seamus Walshe, Crown of Glory: The Life of Pope Pius XII (Hawthorn Books, 1956); Nazareno Padellaro, Portrait of Pius XII, Michael Derrick, Tr. (Dutton, 1957); Katherine Burton, Witness of the Light: The Life of Pope Pius XII (New York: Longmans, Green and Co., 1958); Barrett McGurn, A Reporter Looks at the Vatican (Coward-McGann, 1962), pp. 47-108. Interesting details and anecdotes are also given in François Charles Roux, Huit ans au Vatican, 1932-1940 (Paris: Flammarion, 1947), pp. 258ff.; Branko Bokun, Spy in the Vatican: 1941-45 (Praeger, 1973); Owen Chadwick, Britain and the Vatican in the Second World War (Cambridge University Press, 1986), pp. 51-52. Contemporary renderings include Michael Rust, "Pro-Nazi Pope?" Insight, Nov 15, 1999, p. 18; Peter Gumpel, "Cornwell's Pope: A Nasty Caricature of a Noble And Saintly Man," Zenit (Rome), Sept. 16, 1999; Hunter Seitz, "In Defense of Pius XII," America, Oct 12, 1996, p. 28; Judith Shulevitz, "The Case of Pius XII," The New York Times Book Review, April 8, 2001, p. 31; Kevin Madigan, "Judging Pius XII," The Christian Century, March 14, 2001, p. 6.

James Carroll, American Requiem, p. 49.

McGurn, p. 68.

Tardini, ``Pius XII.''

The wartime British Ambassador to the Vatican, D'Arcy Osborne, was among many non-Catholics who were struck by Pius XII's "saintliness." Sanchez, op. cit.

Graham Greene, "The Pope Who Remains a Priest," in Francis Sweeney, Vatican Impressions (Sheed and Ward, 1962), p. 258.

Pius XI, Address at Madragone College, May 14, 1929.

Though Churchill's public condemnations of Hitler's anti-Semitism (which began in Parliament March 23, 1933) preceded Pacelli's by two years, this was in part posture. "I can quite understand being angry with Jews," Churchill told Hitler's press officer, Putzi Hanfstaengel, in summer 1932, "and I understand resisting them if they try to monopolise power in any walk of life...." (Winston Churchill, The Second World War, Vol. 1: The Gathering Storm (Boston: Houghton Mifflin, 1948), p.p. 83-4.

See "Nazis Warned in Lourdes," The New York Times, April 29, 1935.

Volkischer Beobachter (Berlin), January 22, 1939.

Berliner Morgenpost, March 3, 1939; The New York Times, dat. cit.

Sanchez, op. cit.

Although Jesuit Father Robert Graham argued in 1998 that "the evidence of an alleged plan to kidnap the Pope is, at best, mixed," the documentation now argues strongly for the actuality of both Hitler's intent, and of S.S. plans which reached an advanced stage. The new evidence includes a 1944 memo from Paolo Porta, the Fascist leader in Como, to Vincenzo Costa, the Fascist leader in Milan. According to Porta, the Eighth Division of the S.S. Cavalry had prepared to "massacre Pius XII with the entire Vatican," due to "the papal protest in favor of the Jews." The operation was to have been carried out in January 1944, but was canceled for reasons unknown to Porta. The memo was discovered in 1998 by Professor Anna Lisa Carolotti in the archives of the Archdiocese of Milan. For skeptical dissent before Professor Carolotti's discovery, see Robert A. Graham and David Alvarez, Nothing Sacred: Nazi Espionage against the Vatican, 1939-1945. (London: Frank Cass, 1998), pp. 87.

Achim Begsen, Der stille Befehl (Munich: Nymphenberger Verlagshandlung, 1960), p. 77, and Felix Kersten, The Memoirs of Doctor Felix Kersten (Herma Briffault, ed., Ernst Morowitz, tr. Garden City, New York: Doubleday & Co., 1947), p. 109. One eminent historian of the Nazi period finds that "Kersten's various memoirs are not at all reliable about details," yet credits Kersten's "picture of Himmler" where it is "supported by other sources." See Richard Breitman, The Architect of Genocide: Hitler and the Final Solution (Alfred A. Knopf, 1991), p. 251, n. 4. While Kersten is certainly unreliable about his alleged creation of an "anti-Nazi underground," his own picture of Himmler's papaphobia accords with the known facts. In fact, Kersten was among the very first to draw attention to Himmler's now-established anti-clericism.

Palestine Post (editorial), March 6, 1939, citing the Lourdes speech as proof of his "opposition to pernicious race theories." Pius' election was lauded also by the Jewish Chronicle in London (March 10), the Synagogue Council of America, the Canadian Jewish Congress, and the Polish Rabbinical Council. For a meticulous survey see Dimitri Cavalli, "The Good Samaritan: Jewish Praise for Pius XII," Inside the Vatican, October 2000, pp. 72-77.

An encyclical is a letter sent by the pope to all the Bishops of the Church. It is typically concerned with matters that seriously affect the welfare of the faithful, and often explains the line of conduct to be taken on urgent practical questions.

Pius XII, Summi Pontificatus (On the Unity of Human Society), October 20, 1939. The Jewish Telegraphic Agency reported on October 27 that "the unqualified condemnation which Pope Pius XII heaped on totalitarian, racist and materialistic theories of government in his encyclical Summi Pontificatus caused a profound stir... Although it had been expected that the Pope would attack ideologies hostile to the Catholic Church, few observers had expected so outspoken a document." The Allies reportedly airdropped copies of the Encyclical over Germany (Gumpel, op. cit.).

The full passage, which disproves the contention of previous scholarship that Pius XII never publicly used the word "Jew" during the war, reads as follows. After declaring that his intention in the encyclical was to witness to "the sublime precept of the Divine Master, the most sacred testament of His Heart, 'That they [mankind] all may be one' (John xvii. 21)," the pope writes: "And in order to give external expression to these, Our intentions, We have chosen the forthcoming Feast of Christ the King to raise to the Episcopal dignity at the Tomb of the Apostles twelve representatives of widely different peoples and races. In the midst of the disruptive contrasts which divide the human family, may this solemn act proclaim to all Our sons, scattered over the world, that the spirit, the teaching and the work of the Church can never be other than that which the Apostle of the Gentiles preached: 'there is neither Gentile nor Jew, circumcision nor uncircumcision, barbarian nor Scythian, bond nor free. But Christ is all and in all' (Colossians iii. 11).

On January 26, 1940, the Jewish Advocate hailed Vatican Radio's "outspoken denunciation of German atrocities in Nazi [occupied] Poland." A June 1943 broadcast to France said: "He who distinguishes between Jews and other men is unfaithful to God and is in conflict with God's command." Nazi propaganda chief Josef Goebbels ordered the arrest of anyone listening to Vatican broadcasts, which he termed "more dangerous for us than those of the communists" ("New Studies Document Pius XII's Opposition to Nazism," Zenit (Rome), March 14, 2000).

When Mussolini imposed anti-Semitic laws in March 1940, Pius XII named several displaced Jewish scholars, including geographer Prof. Roberto Almagia, to posts in the Vatican Library. The March 29 Kansas City Jewish Chronicle said that these acts proved the Pope's "disapproval of the dastardly anti-Semitic decrees." See Cavalli, op cit.

The gift totaled 2 million lire, which Zucotti (p. 300) measures "about $20,000" at the 1945 conversion rate. Pius promised that the money would go exclusively to needy persons of Jewish descent. The New York Times, October 11, 1945; "Jewish Recognition of Pope Pius XII's Support," Zenit (Rome), July 30, 1999, citing a letter from the Vatican, dated October 27, 1945, signed by Monsignor Giovanni Battista Montini (the future Pope Paul VI). The 1945 document was discovered by Lorenzo Cremonesi, the Italian newspaper Corriere della Sera's Jerusalem correspondent, who was researching a book on the history of Israel's relations with the Holy See.

Einstein said: "Only the Church stood squarely across the path of Hitler's campaign for suppressing truth. I had never any special interest in the Church before, but now I feel a great admiration because the Church has had the courage and persistence to stand for intellectual truth and moral freedom. I am forced thus to confess, that what I once despised, I now praise unreservedly" (Time, December 23, 1940, p. 38). Some critics insist, however, that Einstein and other prominent Jews were displeased with Pius XII's lack of more forceful statements and actions, and lauded the Church only in the hope of gaining Vatican recognition for Israel. Apologists counter that accolades such as Einstein's predated prospects of Israeli statehood; regarding later praise, "it strains belief that those Jews who had lived and survived the horror of the Holocaust would so coldly and callously sacrifice the memory of the 6 million dead for what would surely be minimal political advantage" (Robert P. Lockwood, "Pius XII and the Nazis," The Christian Century, April 18, 2001, p. 35). Indeed, the imputation of such motives would seem to play to the very worst stereotypes of Jews as cunning, cynical manipulators of gentiles. For more on this aspect of the controversy, see "Judging Pius XII," The Christian Century, March 14, 2001, p. 6, and Father John Pawlikoski in Commonweal, July 17, 1998.

Pius XII, Christmas Address, printed in The New York Times, December 25, 1942, p. 10. Professor Michael Phayer (The Catholic Church and the Holocaust, 1930-1965, Bloomington, University of Indiana Press, 2000, p. 49) asserts that "in reality, very few people understood him [Pius XII], and no one, certainly not the Germans, took it [the Christmas 1942 address] as a protest against their slaughter of the Jews." In fact, the Nazis regarded the address as a brazen protest against the Holocaust. "His speech is one long attack on everything we stand for," concluded a January 22, 1943 report by the Reich Main Security Office (RSHA). "God, he says, regards all peoples and races as worthy of the same consideration. Here he is virtually accusing the German people of injustice towards the Jews, and makes himself the mouthpiece of the Jewish war criminals." (Anthony Rhodes, The Vatican in the Age of Dictators, 1973, pp. 272-273). The New York Times, for its part, reasserted that "This Christmas more than ever he [Pius XII] is a lonely voice crying out of the silence of a continent..." (editorial, December 25, 1942, Late Day edition, p. 16).

Late Day edition, p. 24. Wartime headlines in The New York Times included: "Pope Condemns Dictators, Treaty Violators, Racism" (Oct. 28, 1939); "Vatican Denounces Atrocities in Poland; Germans Called Even Worse Than Russians" (January 23, 1940); "Pope is Emphatic About Just Peace: Jews' Rights Defended" (March 11, 1940); "Pope is Said to Plead for Jews Listed for Removal from France" (August 6, 1942); and "Vatican Scores Germans: Denounces Decision to Intern and Strip All Jews in Italy" (December 4, 1943).

The secret Allied assessment was based partly on decrypted German and Vatican cable traffic. Office of Strategic Services (OSS) Director William Donovan informed FDR that "...the anti-Nazi church elements, organized in cells... of both the clergy and the laity, have saved thousands of Jews.... by clandestine action undertaken at great personal risk" ("A Report from Switzerland on the German Churches," Oct. 31, 1944, NA, RG 226, Entry 162, Roll 24, Frames 662-63). OSS analyst Dewitt C. Poole had earlier reported to Zurich station chief Allen Dulles on "the clergy's splendid behavior in defense of Jews," lamenting that these acts could not be publicized without endangering priests in Nazi-dominated territory. Poole nevertheless recommended "that as much material as possible about this particular point should be ready for the moment where it can serve to refute accusations of this point" (OSS 226/16/1131, Oct. 10, 1944, Annex B)? Poole's recommendation seems not to have been heeded.

La Correspondence Internationale, March 28, 1939.

U.S. intelligence received early warning of this propaganda offensive in December 1945, when leftist groups in Italy began accusing Church-friendly politicians of neo-Fascism (SECRET Rome Area Allied Command Security Summary No. 19, 31 Dec 1945, NA 226/174/104/799). In Switzerland the former Superior General of the German Jesuits, Father Agostinius Rosch, had apparently read communist allegations against Pius XII by the turn of the year, when he wrote to Pius XII's confidential secretary, Jesuit Father Robert Leiber, that he had read "horrifying opuses -- from East Germany -- in which the greatest blame is attributed to your boss [i.e., Pius XII]." (Rosch to Leiber/Rome, Lenzerheide, 2 January 1946, AMSJ, Akt Rosch, Handwritten).

Prace alleged that Pius XII had consented to "a solution of all Eastern European problems in favor of Germany," and that he had given his assent for Nazi propaganda chief Josef Goebbels to succeed Hitler. The charges were recapitulated (and contested) in L'Osservatore Romano (Rome), Feb. 12, 1946. Two weeks later a variant of the allegation had already sprouted in Yugoslavia, where dictator Josef Tito said: "They [the Catholics] marched jointly with [Nazi-puppet Croatian] Ustachis and were spiritual inspirators [sic] of massacres which were never condemned by them." OSS Report, Jan. 29, 1946 (NA 226/174/116/883). For earlier intimations that the Vatican was pro-Fascist, see Izvestia, February 1, 1944, and the communist pamphlet by D. Petroff, "War and the Working Class," October 9, 1944 (Pius wanted "a soft peace to let Germany escape her just deserts"). Soviet historians later alleged Hitler and Pius agreed that "The Vatican would send into the Soviet territory, with the German army, agents for implanting Catholicism, so that the occupants could subject the Soviet peoples and organize espionage and sabotage." G. Deborine, La Deuxieme Geurre Mondiale (1955); Robert A. Graham, The Vatican and Communism During the Second World War: What Really Happened? (San Francisco: Ignatius Press, 1996), pp. 117-18.

Stalin's propaganda-theme has been followed by virtually all of Pius' non-communist critics. John Cornwell thus asserts that Pius' fears of Nazism "were overshadowed by the known aggression and goals of Communism" (Hitler's Pope: The Secret History of Pius XII, Viking Press, 1999, p. 112). Professor James Walston, of the American University of Rome, perceives a "pattern of church co-operation [with the Nazis], motivated partly by a strong anti-Communist ideology" (The Tablet, London, on-line edition, 8 July 2000). Rabbi Abraham Cooper, of the Simon Wiesenthal Center in Los Angeles, maintains: "From the Vatican's point of view, the No. 1 enemy of civilization as seen by the Catholic church was communism" (AP-NY, June 2, 1998). Israel Gutman infers that Pius sided with Germany out of "fear of the growth of communism were the Nazis to be defeated (Encyclopedia of the Holocaust, New York, Macmillan, 1990, p. 1139). Kertzer alleges that "fascist regimes were embraced [by the Vatican] as a God-sent bulwark against the great socialist evil" (op. cit., p. 15). Three points must be kept in mind here. (1) The allegation of Pius' "obsession" with communism is "pejorative and meant to be so. It implies a papal monomania, an exaggerated, unreasoning, panicky, narrow-minded reaction to the Bolshevik danger" (Graham (op . cit., pp. 12-13). (2) Critics who chastise Pius for his "obsession" with communism often overlook the very real threat that Stalin's regime posed to the survival of the Church in the USSR. (3) Pius wanted détente with the Soviet Union and an accommodation with communism. As early as 1919, when the reactionary Bavarian government of von Epp asked his cooperation in hunting down communists, Pacelli declined (Hatch and Walshe, p. 85). Throughout the 1920s and 1930s, while Nuncio to Germany and as Vatican Secretary of State Pacelli unsuccessfully sought a concordat with Moscow. His fruitless but untiring efforts are painstakingly documented by Hansjakob Stehle in The Eastern Politics of the Vatican, 1917-1979 (Athens, Ohio: University of Ohio Press, 1981). In 1933, at a party which he gave in Rome after his return from Germany, the future Pope overheard an old conservative friend, the Marchese Patrici, remark that it was a good thing Germany had a strong man now who would deal with the Communists. "For goodness' sake, Joseph," he said, "don't talk such nonsense. The Nazis are infinitely worse" (Graham Greene, "The Pope Who Remains a Priest," in Francis Sweeney, Vatican Impressions, Sheed and Ward, 1962, p. 258). On Christmas Day 1941, Mussolini's foreign Minister, Count Galeazzo Ciano, recorded in his diary that "at the Vatican the Russians are preferred to the Nazis" (The Ciano Diaries, Doubleday, 1946, p. 424). Martin Quigley, an OSS spy in the Vatican, recalls that at late as spring 1945, "the Vatican was very willing to open diplomatic relations with Russia" (Quigley, Secret Action at the Vatican in the Spring of 1945, Lanham, Maryland: Madison Books, 1991, p. 59). Quigley's recollection is supported by the report of another OSS informant, dated March 16, 1945: "From an authoritative ecclesiastical source, we have learned that... the Vatican.. understands that an agreement with Russia is necessary from the development of the Church's Universal Mission in post-war problems" (NA 226/16/1397, Confidential P.P. Report No. 111). Pius' attitude hardened only in autumn 1945, when communist intentions in Central and Eastern Europe became clear.

"It is sad to have to say that during the entire war, while the laboratories of death worked to capacity, the Pope kept his silence" ("The Vatican and the Jewish Question: The Record of the Hitler Period -- and After," Commentary, Nov. 1950, pp. 439-449). In 1949 anti-Catholic authors Avro Manhattan (The Vatican in World Politics) and Paul Blanshard (American Freedom and Catholic Power) had criticized Pius' wartime conduct, but these tracts had little impact.

L'Osservatore Romano, October 9, 1958; quoted in We Remember: A Reflection on the Shoah, Commission for Religious Relations (Vatican City), March 16, 1998. Pius XII was also gracefully eulogized by representatives of the World Jewish Congress, the American Jewish Congress, the Synagogue Council of America, the New York Board of Rabbis, the Anti-Defamation League, the Rabbinical Council of America, National Council of Jewish Women, the Union of American Hebrew Congregations, and the American Jewish Committee. The tributes of major rabbis in New York alone were so numerous that it took three issues of The New York Times to report them all. See Cavalli, op. cit., and John Jay Hughes, "Hitler, the War, and the Pope," Association of Contemporary Church Historians Newsletter, November 2000, Vol. VI, no. 11.

Hochhuth pinned the label on himself: "In certain historical periods, one must be anti-clerical" (Judy Stone, "Interview with Rolf Hochhuth," in Bentley, ed., op. cit., p. 42.). He compared Catholicism to Nazism and Bolshevism in its "demand for... unheard-of sacrifices and victims. ... They [Church leaders] do not think of the happiness of the living but of generations to come.... it is always terribly inhuman to think in this way" (Patricia Marx, "Interview with Rolf Hochhuth," Partisan Review, Vol. XXXI, No. 3, Summer 1964).

Hochhuth attempted to dismiss this experience as playing cowboys and Indians and fighting without parental supervision. See Dolores Barrancano Schmit, "Rolf Hochhuth: The Man and His Work," in The Deputy Reader: Studies in Moral Responsibility (Chicago: Scott Foresman, 1965), pp. 62-7.

Motivation, in Western ethical thought since Kant, was an essential factor in any discussion of a man's probity -- and Hochhuth's Pope was no altruist. Thus the allegation that "any intervention by Pius XII was based on practical advantage rather than moral inclination" -- a purely Kantian formulation of the ethical problem (Shira Schoenberg, "Pope Pius XII and the Holocaust," monograph in possession of the author). William Perl argues along the same intentionalist lines: Pius XII began to advise the German and Hungarian bishops that it would be to their ultimate political advantage to go on record as speaking out against the massacre of the Jews (The Holocaust Conspiracy, p. 201).

Hochhuth's postscript also described Pius as "a fence-sitter, who... wasted his time on inconsequential trifles while the tormented world... waited in vain for a word of spiritual leadership...." Rolf Hochhuth, "Sidelights on History," in The Deputy, Richard and Clara Winston, Tr. (Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press, 1997), p. 352.

Ibid., p. 324.

Hochhuth, The Deputy.

The Nuremburg prosecutor was Robert Kempner. His remarks are considered in Margherita Marchione, "Italian Voice," Ethnic NewsWatch, January 1, 1998.

Albrecht von Kessel, "The Pope and the Jews," in Bentley, ed., op. cit., pp. 71ff.; originally published in Die Welt (Hamburg), April 6, 1963. Baron Ernst Freiherr von Weizsacker, who had been Hitler's ambassador to the Vatican, and Sir D'Arcy Francis Osborne, who had been Churchill's, were both Protestants. Osborne said: "Pius XII was the most warmly humane, kindly, generous, sympathetic (and, incidentally, saintly) character that it has been my privilege to know in the course of a long life." The Times (London), May 20, 1963.

Joseph Lichten, A Question of Judgment: Pius XII and the Jews (National Catholic Welfare Conference, 1963).

Alfred Kazin, "The Vicar of Christ," The New York Review of Books, March 19, 1964.

Ibid.

Hitler himself had mused in 1942 that Catholic attempts to stifle criticism were bound to backfire. He noted that "publishers had, in fact, great difficulty in disposing of the first edition" of Alfred Rosenberg's anti-Catholic book, The Myth of the Twentieth Century, until it "was mentioned in a Pastoral Letter....[W]hen the Church had finally published all its commentaries in refutation of Rosenberg's ideas, The Myth of the Twentieth Century sold its two hundred thousandth copy." See Hitler's Table Talk: 1941-1944 (Norman, Cameron and R. H. Stevens, tr., Enigma Books, New York, 2000), p. 422 (remarks made April 11, 1942, "at dinner"). The Vatican seems never to have learned the lesson. In 1999 the first edition of Gone With the Wind in the Vatican, an expose of curial sex-and-politics by retired Monsignor Luigi Marinelli, sold only 7,000 copies before the Vatican banned it; a rushed reprint sold 100,000. See Paul House, "Cardinal Sin And Hi-Jinks In Vatican," Sunday Mail (London), August 8, 1999, p. 26.

Until the early 1960s, American Jews and their organizations had shown strangely little interest in the Holocaust. On the postwar lapse of interest in Holocaust matters, see Morris Dickstein, "Sounds of Silence," The New York Times, January 28, 2001, Section 7, p. 10, and John Lukacs, The Hitler of History (Alfred A. Knopf, Inc., 1997), p. 4.

A point made by John Jay Hughes, op. cit.

Hochhuth, "Sidelights on History," pp. 287, 348. Hochhuth was a disciple of Erwin Piscator, founder of a quasi-Marxist school of drama known as "political theater," which put prominent persons on stage for pillorying or praise, according to criteria not of historical but of political correctness. In a later play, Die Soldaten (The Soldiers), Hochhuth accused Winston Churchill of having ordered the murder of the Polish General Sikorski and his pilot, whose plane crashed close to Gibraltar, causing the death of the general. The pilot, in fact, survived and brought libel charges against Hochhuth; the suit was unsuccessful, but Hochhuth's reputation was damaged (Gumpel, op. cit.). Though generally praising Hochhuth as a playwright of conscience, editorialists in the United States questioned his objectivity: "historically... [The Deputy] is open to challenge on many points" (Echoes of the Deputy," The New York Post, editorial, March 6, 1964); "the facts [are] in dispute; the history imperfect; the indictment too severe" ("Silence," The New York Times, editorial, Jan. 28, 1964).

The play's influence was not clearly foreseen at the time: "The Deputy will not succeed in blasting the reputation of Pope Pius XII, if that is what is intended" (Tom F. Driver, "The Meaning of Silence," The Reporter, June 1964). In fact, as Kevin Madigan rightly notes, "the Pius that most people... know today -- is traceable to The Deputy and its influence" ("What the Vatican Knew About the Holocaust, and When," Commentary, October 2001, pp. 52).

"Perspectives: Pius XII," rebroadcast on The History Channel, December 26, 1997.

See especially Guenther Lewy, The Catholic Church and Nazi Germany (McGraw-Hill, 1964), Saul Friedlander, Pius XII and the Third Reich (Alfred A. Knopf, 1966), and Carlo Falconi, The Silence of Pius XII (Little, Brown, 1970).

Eamon Duffy, "Pius XII Was Not Hitler's Pope," Newsday, October 28, 1999, p. A-51.

"J'Accuse," Los Angeles Times Book Review, March 4, 2001, p. 7.

The Popes Against the Jews, Alfred A. Knopf, 2001, p. 16.

"What Would Jesus Have Done?" The New Republic, January 21, 2002, p. 23.

Susan Zuccotti, Under His Very Windows: The Vatican and the Holocaust in Italy, Yale University Press, 2000, p. 63

Gumpel, "Cornwell's Pope: A Nasty Caricature of a Noble And Saintly Man," Zenit, Sept. 16, 1999.

The New York Times, December 26, 1942.

Ibid., March 18, 1998.

Shira Schoenberg (op. cit.) blames Pius XII for issuing "no such condemnation of Kristallnacht (the night of broken glass)," even though that tragedy occurred in November 1938, five months before he was elected pontiff. John Weiss recklessly asserts that Pius "supported the Nazis... even if it meant the murder of priests" (Ideology of Death, 1995). Arthur Noble, of the anti-Catholic European Institute of Protestant Studies, cites Pius XII's alleged racism as proof that "Romanism was the motivating force behind the recent war against Yugoslavia and the vicious campaign of denigration of Serbia in the 1990s" ("Vicar of Christ or Instrument of the Devil?" [1999], monograph in possession of author).

The Ratlines myth was first propagated in Ladislas Farago's Aftermath: Martin Bormann and the Fourth Reich, which claimed to follow the trails of escaping Nazi leaders. Farago indicated the number of the hotel rooms occupied by fleeing Nazis and even described the green Volkswagen transporting them; he saw his work as "an investigation in the French style, a serious study, but with no claims to mere erudition" [emphasis added]. See Father Pierre Blet, S.J. "Response To Accusations Against Pius XII: Myth Vs. Historical Fact," L'Osservatore Romano, April 29, 1998. Farago's theme was taken up by Christopher Simpson in Blowback (Collier Books, 1989, pp. 176-198) and embellished by John Loftus and Mark Aarons in Unholy Trinity: The Vatican, the Nazis, and Soviet Intelligence (St. Martin's Press, 1991). Aarons and Loftus claimed that Bormann and other fugitives were furnished with Vatican passports, were fitted with clerical robes, and were openly "driving around [Rome] in cars with Vatican plates." The authors told Larry King that "The Pope knew... Pope Pius had Nazis living in his library" ("Did the Vatican Collaborate With the Nazis?" CNN, Larry King Live, January 24, 1992, Transcript #482). Robert Graham demonstrates that U.S. intelligence reports cited as evidence by Aarons and Loftus came from a notorious fabricator, Virgilio Scattolini ("Foreign Intelligence and the Vatican," Catholic World Report, March 1992, p. 50; Marco Tosatti, "Vigilant for Historical Falsehoods," La Stampa, January 30, 1992). James Jesus Angleton, postwar chief of U.S. counterintelligence in Rome, branded Scattolini a disinformation agent under Soviet control (George Raymond Rocca interview, January 14, 1992).

"James Carroll, "The Silence," The New Yorker, April 7, 1997.

Rychlak, pp. 284-85.

Rychlak, p. 430, n. 33.

Paul Ellie, "John Paul's Jewish Dilemma," The New York Times Magazine, April 26, 1988, pp. 34-39.

James Carroll: "The Silence," The New Yorker, April 7, 1997, and "The Holocaust and the Catholic Church," The Atlantic Monthly, Oct. 1999, p. 107.

Linda Massarella, "Book Paints WWII as Hitler Ally... Vatican Files Show Pius Hated Jews," The New York Post, Sept. 7, 1999, p. 12.

The error was corrected in later versions of the dust jacket... after repeated protests from the Vatican. See Peter Gumpel, "A Journalist Reporting to Be a Scholar," Die Furch, Jan. 6, 2000, p. 1.

See the astute and painstaking analysis at Rychlak, pp. 284-85.

Cornwell's book, like Hochhuth's play, spurred a contentious bibliogony. The three years after Hitler's Pope brimmed with reconsiderations, e.g., by Pierre Blet, Pius XII and the Second World War: According to the Archives of the Vatican, Lawrence J. Johnson, tr. (Paulist Press, 1999); James Carroll, Constantine's Sword: The Church and the Jews (Houghton Mifflin, 2001); Georges Passelcq and Bernard Suchecky, The Hidden Encyclical of Pius XII, Steven Rendall, tr. (Harcourt Brace, 2001); Michael Phayer, The Catholic Church and the Holocaust, 1930-1965 (Bloomington, University of Indiana Press, 2000); Carol Ann Rittner, Stephen D. Smith, and Irena Steinfeldt, eds., The Holocaust and the Christian World: Reflections on the Past, Challenges for the Future (Continuum, 2001); Ronald J. Rychlak, Hitler, the War, and the Pope (Genesis Press, 2001); Garry Wills, Papal Sin: Structures of Deceit (Doubleday, 2000); Zuccotti, op. cit.; Kertzer, op. cit.; and Daniel Jonah Goldhagen, A Moral Reckoning: The Catholic Church and the Holocaust (Alfred A. Knopf, 2002).

A thematic assessment of these criticisms from the Catholic perspective may be found in Robert A. Graham, S.J., "How to Manufacture a Legend: The Controversy over the Alleged Silence of Pope Pius XII in World War II," in Pius XII and the Holocaust: A Reader (Milwaukee: Catholic League for Religious and Civil Rights, 1988).

This was the line of defense advanced by the Vatican Nuncio to Israel, Archbishop Piero Sambi, on the eve of John Paul II's visit. The quotation is excerpted from Sambi's statement on Israeli public television, as reported by the Associated Press (NY), March 19, 1334 EST. Albrecht von Kessel, a member of the German Legation in the Vatican City (and a member of the conspiracy to kill Hitler) insists: "We [the German resistance] were convinced that a fiery protest by Pius XII against the persecution of the Jews would have in all probability put the Pope himself and the Curia in extreme danger, but would certainly not have saved a single Jew" (Die Welt, April 6, 1963). Peter Gumpel writes: "He [Pius XII] had excellent reasons not to [use the word Jew in his public statements]. He knew that Hitler was a pathologically obsessed anti-Semite. Whenever the word 'Jew' was mentioned in his presence, he flew into a rage and intensified the criminal persecution of the latter" (Gumpel, op. cit.). The defense is developed by innumerable Catholic apologists. Defenders of Pius frequently cite a 1942 incident in which, after Dutch bishops spoke out against the deportations of Jews, the Nazis sent Catholic converts of Jewish families to Auschwitz.

A point made by Catholic historian Jose Sanchez (op. cit.). While neither critics nor defenders posit that Pius actively opposed the Nazis, most agree that he at least defied them by intervening to save many thousands of Jews. Even Leon Poliakov, the first author to criticize the Pope for his silence, grants that "Pius XII and other church dignitaries did much to personally help Jews." ("Le Vatican et la question juive," Monde juif, December, 1950). Pinchas Lapide concludes that a Church underground railroad rescued 800,000 European Jews, mainly by issuing them false baptismal certificates, disguising some in cassocks and hiding others in monasteries and convents (Three Popes and the Jews, 1967). Father Blet allows that Lapide's numbers "haven't been proven," but believes that "nobody has showed the reverse" (Stanley, op cit.). Although James Carroll insists that "no records directly tying such heroism have ever been uncovered" (Constantine's Sword, Houghton Miflin, 2001, p. 525), Poliakov (op. cit.) asserts "that secret instructions were sent out by the Vatican, urging the national churches to intervene in behalf of the Jews." In 1940, for instance, Pius XII sent a secret instruction to the Catholic bishops of Europe, Opere et caritate (By Work and Love), ordering that all victims of racial persecution be helped. These instructions, Poliakov argues, rendered other instructions unnecessary.

Guest David Guyatt
Geez! All this Panzer Pope garbage has been thoroughly debunked. Why don't you

check out the http://markriebling.com links posted by Claudio. Or check out:

The Myth of Hitler's Pope which was written by a Rabbi who knew whereof he spoke.

The author of Hitler's Pope it turns out, even doctored photos of the Pope at a von Ribbentrop

reception on the cover of the book, to hide the fact that it occurred in 1927 and not 1937 as he

had claimed. This author even recanted after the publishing of The Myth of Hitler's Pope and

admitted he was wrong. Dead wrong. I already posted these links. Can you also admit

that you are wrong on this topic after reading about Mark Riebling's upcoming book

called "The Vatican Assassins" which documents 3 attempts at Tyrannicide by Pope Paul XII?

Or read what the author of The Myth of Hitler's Pope said about recently revealed documents

and what his conclusion is about these unjustified attacks on Pope Pius XII? Boy I hope so.

To perpetuate these discredited Vatican attacks seriously questions your credibility in my mind

at least. Seriously.

John,

I like to use alliteration and so "Panzer Pope" in the caption suited my warped sense of humour. There is no need to get your knickers in a twist about it (although I think I understand why you have chosen to do so). Anyway, I actually couldn't give a damn about the current Pope - one way or the other, to be perfectly frank about it. So far as I am concerned they all tend to be cut from the same cloth - although there have been some notable exceptions.

However, the important question is: does this mean you won't now be sending me a copy of your book hard copy/pdf as promised? B) Pity that. It'll teach me not to be so generous in the future with sharing my archives off-list. Oh well, Kay Serah.

On Pope Pius, I have stated what I had been told - about him being blackmailed as an active homosexual by Angleton, and also provided the setting in which this had been told this. Is it unjustified? If you have proof that it is not true then I am all ears. On the other hand, as I stated, I was told this by two different sources one of whom I have very good reason to suppose has an inside track about it. Since I know this person's connections, you'll forgive me if I continue to disseminate this snippet of information as and where I please. But tThank you for suggesting otherwise.

I am not a catholic btw.

I also provided a story about an SS officer who had residence in the Vatican during the war, apparently on behalf of Himmler. Is that untrue? Well, maybe. But I dug-ded around in the murk for awhile and rather think it is true.

I am not a catholic btw.

Now, I could talk about the Vatican laundering loadsa Nazi gold after the war, or their involvement in laundering Marcos gold, but I don't want to cause anymore upset that is absolutely necessary. Which makes me think I should start dusting down some of my research on these subjects and post it here...

I could also write a fair bit about the Vatican knowingly selling/marketing/collateralising fake US Treasury Bonds. But I'll leave that for another time.

Did I say that I'm not a catholic already?

Are you familiar with the Vatican's involvement in the Marty Frankel insurance fraud affair that ran into, well, just a few hundred million dollars back in 2002? I have lots on that story. And are you familiar with the whole P2 Vatican nexus. I think you are. What about the South African connection via Dr. Death and the fake bonds he was offing? Did you know that a couple of years ago, London, with its 400 odd banks located there, was cited as the 8th largest money laundering centre in the world. Oddly, the Vatican was cited at number 7, one place higher up the list. Guess how many banks there are in Vatican City? One. That would be the bank owned by the Pope. Naughty feller.

Yes, it is true that the Vatican Secretariat of State don't like me very much. That feeling arose, in part, from a rebuttal I wrote in a law case that proved their advocate - who had a rather grand name - was fibbing on behalf of the IOR about their claims about the IOR practises relating to their role in Laundering nazi gold. Any chance of being sainted and thus following in the footsteps of that wonderful saintly fascist-cum-misogynist, Josemaria Escriva, founder of Opus Dei, have been doomed. Pity.

Why on earth should I want to read what your blue-eyed boy, Mark Riebling, has to say about the Pope? or anything else, for that matter. Riebling is a key man at the right-wing free market think-tank, Manhattan Institute of Policy Research, that was founded by the late William Casey, former DCI of the CIA. Casey and the Mafia had a wonderful time during his pre-CIA days as Chairman of the SEC. The deals he was able to offload using inside information would make your hair stand on end. Quite apart from that, Casey was SMOM - a modest knight of Magisterial Grace

So, anything Riebling has to say can be trusted as being above board and true, eh? Hhmmm.

Sorry to say, but your closing comments about my credibility being undermined in your mind is simply laughable. Do you seriously imagine that I would care one way or the other what you think of me. Streuth. I'm an old war horse out to pasture. Stick, stones, firebombs... been there, done that, Got the scars and the T shirt.

But to be perfectly fair to you (not that you'd understand that in the slightest), I do happen to think that your line of research on the Nazi connections re Condon are very interesting and worth supporting irrespective of your ego prompted outburst.

David

Edited by David Guyatt

Here are the links to Rabbi David G. Dalin's research on the issues surrounding Pope Pius XII and he is not Catholic either at

least I don't think he is. And he is not like Marvin Liebmann either. Jewish, then Catholic, then agnostic.

If you can't combine the lessons from Vatican Assassins and from The Myth of Hitler's Pope to revise your thinking then

most if not all of your other arguments become IMHO fatally flawed. (sniff, sniff - I know) Why would you continue to publish

or promulgate these deliberate misstatements (already debunked) which can only widen the differences between religions and

religious leaders? I am not Jewish by the way and I have no vested interest in either current or past Popes, only an interest in setting

the record straight. Since my great Uncle Klaus Schenck von Stauffenberg is featured in Riebling's book I have an interest in

another person's hopefully unbiased interpretation of his role in The Plot to Kill Hitler. I have also ordered Rabbi Dalin's book and

I am not Jewish by the way but look to him for yet another hopefully unbiased view or interpretation of history. Does the fact

that both Dalin and Riebling AGREE on the subject of Pius XII coming from opposite sides of the political and perhaps religious spectrums mean anything to you at all? You must think that my response to the Pius XII issue was driven by a few years of attempted brainwashing while attending Parochial schools, right? Wrong, again. Keep guessing, bucko! Did I say that I am not Jewish, nor Italian by the way?

Read Coogan's monograph on General Pedro A. del Valle. I have come to the conclusion that del Valle was probably right all along, by the way! Way Far Right. And many people would probably reach the same conclusions after reading Coogan's work.

http://www.iisg.nl/research/coogan.doc

The other irony here is that Dalin's publisher is Regnery Press (B) of all publishers. (LOL) And they used to be known for printing nothing

but radical Holocaust Revisionism and anti-Semitic or Militia and Minuteman styled garbage. Does that make Rabbi Dalin's research

and conclusions less valid or suspect? Would Riebling's conclusions, well documented and footnoted, be biased by his other

associations and associates, none of whom I would agree with necessarily? This is truly a conundrum for everyone. Regnery was

so willing to publish anti-Clinton garbage in the 1990's it made me livid. But then again this may be all about just printing anything

to make a buck. Sure William Regnery started the pro-Hitler isolationist America First movement, and was a staunch anti-Unionist and textile magnate who lobbied Hitler to become his American source of textiles after the War then later moved on to Nuremberg criticism,

opposition to de-Nazification, Holocaust Denial publishing, McCarthyism support and opposition to Brown vs. Board of Education of Topeka, KS and opposition to any form of desegregation, plus JFK character assassination, but does that make him and his progeny bad persons for continuing the legacy and trying to impeach Bill Clinton using the free press or rather by trying to make a buck by publishing books or magazines on all of these controversial issues? You tell me. You and your cohorts seem to be in the same businesses as the Regnerys (just from a slightly different political and religious perspective) and you would know perhaps, but I could be wrong, if I am allowed this speculative tangential diatribe. Yellow journalism and inflammatory unsupported rhetoric has always been pretty profitable right and pretty easy to crank out, right, if nothing else? Just curious. Were the Regnerys Catholic or not? Does it matter? Seems important to you. Just curious.

Amazon.com: The Myth of Hitler's Pope: Pope Pius XII and His ...Amazon.com: The Myth of Hitler's Pope: Pope Pius XII and His Secret War Against Nazi Germany: Books: David G. Dalin by David G. Dalin.

www.amazon.com/Myth-Hitlers-Pope-Against-Germany/dp/0895260344 - 185k - Cached - Similar pages - Note this

The Myth of Hitler's Pope - Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaThe Myth of Hitler's Pope: How Pope Pius XII Rescued Jews from the Nazis is a book written by Rabbi David G. Dalin and published in 2005. ...

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Myth_of_Hitler's_Pope - 16k - Cached - Similar pages - Note this

Exploding the "Hitler's Pope" myth"Rabbi Dalin explodes the myth of Hitler's pope and condemns the myth-makers for not only rewriting history, but also for denying the testimony of Holocaust ...

www.renewamerica.us/columns/gaynor/050730 - 57k - Cached - Similar pages - Note this

HPR | The Myth of Hitler's PopeDefying both critics and mainstream stereotypes, Rabbi David G. Dalin has weighed in with The Myth of Hitler’s Pope, which unapologetically urges Pius XII’s ...

www.ignatius.com/Magazines/HPRweb/bk_dalin.htm - 9k - Cached - Similar pages - Note this

Human Events Book Service: The Myth of Hitler's Pope by David C. DalinBut in The Myth of Hitler's Pope, Othodox Jewish Rabbi David Dalin explodes this newly resurrected, widely accepted, yet utterly bankrupt smearing of a pope ...

www.hebookservice.com/products/BookPage.asp?prod_cd=C6800 - 33k - Cached - Similar pages - Note this

Home > Conferences & Events >In this thoroughly documented book, Rabbi Dalin explodes the myth of Hitler's pope and condemns the myth-makers for not only rewriting history, ...

www.eppc.org/conferences/eventID.104/conf_detail.asp - 39k - Cached - Similar pages - Note this

The American SpectatorThe Myth of Hitler's Pope: How Pope Pius XII Rescued Jews From the Nazis by David G. Dalin (Regnery, 209 pages, $27.95) AS A HISTORIAN OF THE HOLOCAUST, ...

www.spectator.org/dsp_article.asp?art_id=10237 - 66k - Cached - Similar pages - Note this

The Myth of Hitler's Pope: How Pope Pius XII Rescued Jews from the ... - Google Books Resultby David G. Dalin - 2005 - History - 209 pages

... widely accepted, yet utterly bankrupt smearing of Pope Pius XII, whom Jewish survivors of the Holocaust considered a righteous gentile. pacelli rychlak ...

books.google.com/books?isbn=0895260344... - Note this

The Myth of Hitler's Pope: How Pope Pius XII Rescued Jews from the ...The Myth of Hitler's Pope: How Pope Pius XII Rescued Jews from the Nazis.

www.heritage.org/press/events/ev080205a.cfm - 31k - Cached - Similar pages - Note this

Guest David Guyatt

John, you really are labouring over plots of your own making. Step back and take a breath and pause for a moment won’t you.

You have asked me to read Riebling, who is a highly suspect right-wing author of former William Casey’s (a former CIA director and a member of SMOM) think tank MIPR, and now you want me to read the Rabbi Dalin who’s publisher is known for nothing:

Quote:

“…but radical Holocaust Revisionism and anti-Semitic or Militia and Minuteman styled garbage.”

Unquote

So far as credibility goes you appear to be stoking up your own fire quite handily.

These matters aside, let’s try to fathom out what this is all about?

You have placed me – without any evidence mind – in the camp of promulgating Pope Pius as being anti-semitic. You will not find any words I’ve ever written that says that. But why worry about irritants like facts when you’re in a righterous full steam ahead mode?

It is you who came to this thread throwing your toys out of your pram prattling on about these things. I haven’t made an issue about Pope Pius being anti-semitic. The thought hasn’t even crossed my mind.

But I think I understand where your error (not the first one either) derived from, namely my caption to this thread using the words “Panzer Pope”. I can only imagine it is this? Nothing else makes sense.

So, if you would take the necessary steps to inform yourself about these matters (as opposed to getting a little confused along the way about such diverse Roman Catholic facts as misidentifying Shickshinny knights as SMOM) then you would know that the term Panzer Pope refers not to Pope Pius, but to Joseph Ratzinger, now crowned Benedict XVI. The “Panzer” nickname derived from his time when as a young boy in Germany, he was a member of the Hitler Youth. There have been various nicknames ascribed to him including “God’s Rottweiler”, the “Panzer cardinal”, “The Enforcer”. I make no observations about the veracity of this, only that the nicknames have become widespread in terms of usage.

I hope this now lays this unpleasant and unnecessary sniping to rest.

David