The Education Forum

Albert E. Burke

John Simkin

I am the daughter of the late Dr. Ruth C. Burke - research scientist, Yale School of Medicine and the late Dr. Albert (E.) Burke, former private advisor to JFK, and, for 15 or 20 years or so, quite a popular political/social commentator of the 1950's & 1960's.

I'm finally preparing to write my father's biography. It will focus on his first years teaching at Yale & show how he viewed the then-new medium of television as a tool for both teaching and learning. As a young professor in 1951 who was very concerned about our own country's dependence upon so many other countries for natural resources, he successfully brought the very first televised programs of public education into America's living rooms. It was his effort to still "make people think" together as a nation, to not become complacent now that the War years were behind us.

Later, his 1962 book, titled "Enough Good Men - A Way of Thinking" was a compilation of scripts from his 1961-1964 shows on NBC - and which is now a very clear snapshot of that era.

It is interesting to have grown up as the child of a man whose opinion was sought by many in power and to have seen, experienced and lost things in life because of my father's work during that period of time.

I find this site to be a wonderful resource as well as a helpful place, actually. There's a lot of information and some great people here. I feel right at home.

Welcome to the forum. I am also interested in the activities of Dr. Albert E. Burke. Your father attended a meeting at the home of Haroldson L. Hunt. Later he gave an account of the meeting.

I have listened to communists and other groups that can only be called enemies, accuse us of the worst intentions, the most inhuman ways of doing things, as the most dangerous people on earth, to be stopped and destroyed at all costs... But nothing I have heard in or from those places around us compared with the experience I had in the Dallas home of an American, whose hate for this country's leaders, and the way our institutions worked, was the most vicious, venomous and dangerous I have known in my life. No communist ever heard, no enemy of this nation has ever done a better job of degrading or belittling this country. That American was one of this nation's richest and most powerful men!

It was a very special performance by a pillar of the American community, who influences things in his community. It was a very special performance because in that living room during his performance - in which he said things had reached the point where there seemed to be 'no way left to get those traitors out of our government except by shooting them out' during that performance, there were four teenagers in that room to be influenced. His views were shared on November 22, 1963.

Interestingly, the man accused of that crime claimed to be a Marxist, a communist. But my host assured me - when I objected to his remarks - that he believed as he did because he was anti-communist!

What happened in that home in Dallas, of one of America's richest and most powerful men, shashed that goal of America as a united country for the four teenagers in on that conversation that night.

I'd also like to welcome Helen to the forum.

A question: Do you have a transcript or are aware of the content of a speech Albert Burke gave in Dallas titled, 'The Sputtering Fuses From Berlin To Havana'? This would have been in late 1961.

Albert Burke below.

James

Dear James,

No, I do not know of it but it doesn’t mean I do not have it stored. There is a lot of material of my father’s yet to go through – his life’s work.

When looking back, it was around 1961 when things became difficult for our family because of “certain things” he had said on the air. Can you tell me anything more about the speech – where it was given, etc.? Among the vast material I have stored are the original tapes from his first shows on the air, from back in the early 1950’s all the way through his last shows on NBC in 1964- when he was forced off the air.

I’m not sure there were many people who realized that my father spoke Russian fluently.

He died in 1999.

Thank you for the photo of my father. I really don’t know where you ever found it – and I truly appreciate it, very much.

Thanks also to all for the welcome. I have been talking with John Simkin on and off for several years about my dad, ever since first finding a post here about him. John has been very supportive about finding out just what my father’s knowledge was, who the players were in his life by 1964, and why. I do recall that he was an advisor and friend to JFK, who often came up to our farm to just talk with him. It was a casual atmosphere, as many people from all over the world came to visit often, back in those days. My father had an office in the woods but after our home close by was burned to the ground 7 weeks after JFK’s death, his life changed and his television career halted. I do know more information and hope to piece things together better, someday.

Peter wrote:

The danger never was from the far left, but the far right and they have been the

ones doing all the damage, despite the

offical and rightwing propaganda to the contrary. While the 'left' was peacefully protesting in the streets, organizing unions and fighting fo

various civil rights, vote, justice, etc. the Far Right was plotting the assassn

tion of and other harm to anyone to their 'left'...

Welcome back to Fantasy Land.

There is of course not one scintilla of evidence linking anyone from "the far right" to the assassination, but for, perhaps, the statements of Joseph Milteer.

I have of course my doubts about the true political allegiance of LHO and whether he was indeed a patsy. But as it now stands, JFK was killed by a left-winger whose wife was living with a lady whose allegiance was also to the left.

As I previously posted in a different thread, and this time borrowing for purposes of emphasis an admittedly ridiculous statement from VB, the left was trying desperately to pin the assassination on the far right almost before the bullets stopped flying in Dealey Plaza. And still is.

It probably would have been different if the conspirators had found a lone nut right wing patsy.

Edited by Tim Gratz

Helen,

The speech was given during September of 1961 at the Statler Hilton Hotel in Dallas. From what I can gather, the gist was that the western world could be defeated by the cutting of sources of import.

In mid 1963, Your father gave another speech in Dallas titled 'American Ideals and World Realities'. This was at a meeting of the Dallas Council on World Affairs. I believe he was grilled pretty hard regarding the John Birch Society.

I dug up some quotes by your father from that 1961 speech.

"American after American is meeting dedicated Marxists and is not able to answer their questions. We do not understand our own American history."

"You cannot defeat communism by thinking like a Communist. I am concerned about Americans who do not know enough about their own way of life to have to adopt Communist methods."

And from the 1963 speech.

"You certainly don't have to love thy neighbor, but you'd better pick a better reason not to than the color of his skin."

"For those who shout about communism, the loudest is usually the least knowledgeable. Empty barrels make the most noise and it doesn't take a loud noise to be patriotic and have concern and dedication. You can go about it in a quiet manner."

Here is another photo.

James

James, interesting quotes from Mr. Burke.

But of course it is Jesus' injunction that one should "love thy neighbor as thyself", a standard obviously almost impossible for any human to meet.

But if one attempts that standard, it of course makes no difference the color of the neighbor's skin.

Edited by Tim Gratz

James, interesting quotes from Mr. Burke.

But of course it is Jesus' injunction that one should "love thy neighbor as thyself", a standard obviously almost impossible for any human to meet.

But if one attempts that standard, it of course makes no difference the color of the neighbor's skin.

Tim, thanks for your comments.

I am here to see if I can glean any info whatsoever regarding what happened to my dad, and why. Just the lone survivor of my family, hoping to find some answers. I have never spoken about any of this before now.

Edited by Helen Burke

Helen,

The speech was given during September of 1961 at the Statler Hilton Hotel in Dallas. From what I can gather, the gist was that the western world could be defeated by the cutting of sources of import.

In mid 1963, Your father gave another speech in Dallas titled 'American Ideals and World Realities'. This was at a meeting of the Dallas Council on World Affairs. I believe he was grilled pretty hard regarding the John Birch Society.

I dug up some quotes by your father from that 1961 speech.

"American after American is meeting dedicated Marxists and is not able to answer their questions. We do not understand our own American history."

"You cannot defeat communism by thinking like a Communist. I am concerned about Americans who do not know enough about their own way of life to have to adopt Communist methods."

And from the 1963 speech.

"You certainly don't have to love thy neighbor, but you'd better pick a better reason not to than the color of his skin."

"For those who shout about communism, the loudest is usually the least knowledgeable. Empty barrels make the most noise and it doesn't take a loud noise to be patriotic and have concern and dedication. You can go about it in a quiet manner."

Here is another photo.

James

James,

Wow.

I don’t know your resources, wish I did. Perhaps you can share them with me sometime.. Thanks for the quotes.

In any case – I recall that time very well, including how the John Birch Society was absolutely after him. I think they made him an honorary member. To be honest, he was a little peeved about it.

Thanks

And thanks for the 2nd photo. I really don't know where you got the pictures from - it's just great!!

• 1 year later...
I am the daughter of the late Dr. Ruth C. Burke - research scientist, Yale School of Medicine and the late Dr. Albert (E.) Burke, former private advisor to JFK, and, for 15 or 20 years or so, quite a popular political/social commentator of the 1950's & 1960's.

I'm finally preparing to write my father's biography. It will focus on his first years teaching at Yale & show how he viewed the then-new medium of television as a tool for both teaching and learning. As a young professor in 1951 who was very concerned about our own country's dependence upon so many other countries for natural resources, he successfully brought the very first televised programs of public education into America's living rooms. It was his effort to still "make people think" together as a nation, to not become complacent now that the War years were behind us.

Later, his 1962 book, titled "Enough Good Men - A Way of Thinking" was a compilation of scripts from his 1961-1964 shows on NBC - and which is now a very clear snapshot of that era.

It is interesting to have grown up as the child of a man whose opinion was sought by many in power and to have seen, experienced and lost things in life because of my father's work during that period of time.

I find this site to be a wonderful resource as well as a helpful place, actually. There's a lot of information and some great people here. I feel right at home.

Any news on the biography of your father?