The Education Forum

Today in History

Tim Gratz

Today of course marks the 44th anniversary of the official "beginning" of the Cuban missile crisis, the beginning of a seminal thirteen days in the history of the Kennedy presidency.

Perhaps ironically it was also on the same day (October 22, 1962) that the "Test Fleet Trial" (United States v. Hoffa) began in Nashville.

Edited by Tim Gratz

Guest David Guyatt
Today of course marks the 44th anniversary of the official "beginning" of the Cuban missile crisis, the beginning of a seminal thirteen days in the history of the Kennedy presidency.

Perhaps ironically it was also on the same day (October 22, 1962) that the "Test Fleet Trial" (United States v. Hoffa) began in Nashville.

Tim, you're becoming a numerologist!

Twice 22 = 44 or, if you use my school of maths, as expounded by Monty Python, it comes to something completely different.

David

Guest David Guyatt
Interesting, David.

And 44 plus 22 will, unfortunately (maybe fortunately since it gives me several more years to enjoy life) be my age in a few years!

Me too. That would then make both of us two thirds of the way along to being the devil incarnate --- only one further 6 to gather in. I think it is time to half the equation... Old ain't fun.

David

Guest David Guyatt

Speaking of death (a quick sign of the cross followed by a hiss!), and eels (yum - I don't think), I wonder if William Colby met any during his ill-fated boating "accident"?

Incredibly bad taste comment, I know -- but I place the entire blame my parents, my upbringing, the schools I attended and the fishpaste sandwiches I was forced to eat as a child...

David

Quote:

Teacher: "Who can tell me what 7 times 6 is?"

Student: "It's 42!"

Teacher: "Very good! - And who can tell me what 6 times 7 is?"

Same student: "It's 24!"

Unquote

I went to that school! B)

October 22 now seems like an interesting date:

(1) On October 22, 1963, the Cuban missile crisis started and the DOJ trial against Jimmy Hoffa started.

(2) On October 22, 2002, Richard Helms died.

(3) On October 22, 2007, there were oral arguments by the D.C. Court of Appeals in the Morley v US (CIA) matter (about the Joannides/DRE documents).

An interesting series of events re JFK/JFK assassination.

Guest David Guyatt
That is mathematical dyslexia, David.

Beats me how I got to be a bank treasurer... they were a very profitable outfit too. Our division was literally full of spooks from SIS. I guess it helps to be slydexic in situations where you never know if the hand of the man you are shaking is covered in other people's blood. Mind you, I've met a great deal more of those types (and far worse) since taking up the noble art of stringing words together. Out of the fire and into the frying pan, eh.

Numerologically speaking don't get hooked on "22". I did several years ago and it leads to some mighty curious places. If I weren't so daft I'd even suggest the possibility of it being used as a cipher.

Oh well, back to banging nails into the walls with my forehead...

David