The Education Forum

Jack Ruby's HQ FBI file

On December 6, 1963, the FBI made a copy of Dorothy Kilgallen's column, the Voice of Broadway. In her column she started off with the murder of Karyn Kupcinet. In the same article she makes a mention of Jack Ruby knowing someone named Joe Glaser. Now, did the FBI clip this article because of Karyn's murder or because of Kilgallen mentioning Ruby?

Kathy

Edited by Kathleen Collins

As I said above, the document has a written date on it -- December 6, 1963. Karyn Kupcinet was found dead on Nov. 30 '63. She was murdered on Nov. 28, 1963. When this particular article came out, the FBI saw fit to make a copy of it. Did someone in the FBI suspect her murder had something to do with the Assassination? Irv had contacted the FBI. Hoover wrote a nice note to the LASD to encourage the investigation. But Hoover could not do anything because it didn't involve a crossing of state lines. Karyn was murdered where she lived. Could they have kept their copy of the Kilgallen column because Irv called them recently?

I also found a document where Paul "Red" Dorfman related to them that Irv Kupcinet called him in Palm Springs after Oswald was shot. According to the document, Irv asked if Red knew Ruby. Dorfman said no, I don't know any Jack Ruby. Irv said, well his real name is Rubenstein and mentioned the Waste Handler's Union. Then Red said he remembered him and that he was a very excitable man. But Rubenstein left for Dallas after Red took over the union. This was 23 years earlier. Irv had met Ruby maybe twice. Dorfman had little info to give Irv. Four days after the call, Karyn was dead. This exchange is recorded in FBI 44-24016 Ruby HQ File, Section 37, page 129.

Kilgallen's column seemed to boast that Karyn's circle of friends knew who killed her. She describes him as a most unusual young man. I think she meant David Lange, the downstairs neighbor.

But I have also read another Kilgallen column where she said the killer was a married man in her circle of friends. I can only think of Mark Goddard. But I'm sure she knew other married couples. This is probably irrelevant, but the Goddards' marriage was on the rocks. Goddard has a Master's Degree in Special Ed. He teaches school. He has another life, though he shows up at Sci Fi conventions because he acted in Lost in Space. He is married to I believe his 3rd wife and is a devout Catholic.

Kathy