The Education Forum

But the Mob Would Never Whack a Politician or Prosecutor

Tim Gratz

The argument has been made from time to time that the mob does not kill politicians, prosecutors or policemen. But the NY families came closely to ordering a hit on Rudy Guliani when he was a U.S. attorney fighting the mob, per recently released FBI records:

From New York Post October 25, 2007:

5 MAFIA BOSSES ALMOST SANCTIONED HIT

By MURRAY WEISS, PATRICK GALLAHUE and ALEX GINSBERG

The bosses of New York's five Mafia families in the mid-1980s came a hair-trigger away from sanctioning a hit on then-federal prosecutor Rudy Giuliani, according to bombshell FBI records made public yesterday.

The mob bosses decided by a 3-to-2 margin not to try to whack the future mayor and presidential candidate. But before cooler heads prevailed, at least two of the dons argued fervently that the mob-busting U.S. attorney should sleep with the fishes.

Bonanno boss Philip "Rusty" Rastelli, Genovese chief Vincent "The Chin" Gigante and Luchese honcho Anthony "Tony Ducks" Corallo all cast votes to spare the headline-grabbing prosecutor, the documents show.

But the young guns of the bunch, Gambino boss John "The Teflon Don" Gotti and Colombo chief Carmine "The Snake" Persico, were said to lobby in favor of the murder.

The news surfaced on day six of the blockbuster trial of former FBI supervisor Lindley DeVecchio, who faces life in prison for allegedly orchestrating four gangland rubouts by leaking inside information to his own informant, Colombo soldier Gregory "The Grim Reaper" Scarpa.

DeVecchio's lawyers entered into evidence Scarpa's 600-page informant file, compiled of tips, reports and suggestions received between 1980 and 1992, none more compelling than the note detailing the Giuliani discussions.

"On Sept. 17, 1987, sources advised that recent information disclosed that approximately a year ago all five NY LCN [La Cosa Nostra] families discussed the idea of killing USA [united States Attorney] Rudy Giuliani and John Gotti and Carmine Persico were in favor of the hit," the Scarpa memo reads.

Edited by Tim Gratz

It is an interesting story. After I read it on the Internet I saw Chris Matthews cover it on "Hardball". The coverage, reminding readers/viewers of Rudy's early work as a crimefighter, cannot hurt his presidential bid. Regardless of what one thinks of his politics, his record as a U.S. attorney and later as the Mayor of New York were outstanding. His policies turned New York around.

Right.

And Atta met with Iraqis in Prague.

Oswald met with Kostikov in Mexico City.

Saddam tried to assassinate Bush the Elder.

The Jews torched the Reichstag.

The filthy dagos sank the Maine.

Joe McCarthy had a list of 33/59/77/91/105 card-carrying communists -- and 599 who never got cards -- in the State Department.

Thanks to rendition, torture, eavesdropping, and Jesus, 37 Al Queda attacks in the U.S. have been stopped.

An invisible man lives in the sky and sees everything we do.

And if my Aunt Carmella had testicles, she'd be my Uncle Carmine.

Perhaps Charles

Edited by Charles Drago

Good catch. Ironically, Gus Russo believes the mob faked an assassination attempt on Roosevelt in order to kill Cermak!

I think the FDR hit story was made up after the Cermak hit, not before. There is strong evidence to suggest the Outfit did assasinate Cermak. Remember that Cermak had previously sent his own hit men (cops) who tried to kill Frank Nitti.

Charles, of course I have yet to look at the actual FBI reports. But neither I assume have you. Have you?

So how can you dismiss the reports so sarcastically?

I think the answer is clear: you feel the need to because the story is contrary to your TOTC. It like saying, "Don't disturb me with the facts!"

HOORAY!

JFK IS STILL ALIVE!

IT MUST BE THE CASE (BY CHARLES' REASONING) BECAUSE THERE IS AN FBI REPORT CLAIMING HE WAS MURDERED IN DALLAS IN 1963.

Charles, I certainly agree it would be nice to read the actual reports and see who the source of the information was. I assume they will some time be available on the Internet. Heck, Rudy ought to post them on his campaign website!

Edited by Tim Gratz

Tim,

With all these postings you should start charging admission

and taking tickets at the door. You could make a mint. They

are such a font of infinite knowledge. I am truly impressed.

No really. I take it all back. Truly amazing stuff. Keep up

the good work.

Do you have any experience as a ticket taker? Are you

taking tickets now? No waiting. Next.

Just wondering.

John

Good catch. Ironically, Gus Russo believes the mob faked an assassination attempt on Roosevelt in order to kill Cermak!

And Peter Whitmey believes that Oswald really tried to kill Connally but just missed a little bit

and got JFK in the head by mistake. Oooooops. Darn. The reason? Connally had gotten

wind of the gun running plot of Ruby and Ferrie and wanted to off him to teach him a lesson.

We should get these guys together on this thread. They would have a field day. Bang. Ooooops.

Yeah and my great uncle just wanted to kill some lowly Colonel in the Gestapo but the table leg

got in the way and the bomb got Hitler instead. Boom. Bang. Ooooops.

And Whitmey is the guy who thinks he has solved The Winnipeg Airport Incident. wow.

Tickets. Tickets. Get your tickets here. No waiting. A conspiracy for everyone. Pick

your poison. You too can be famous. Solve the mystery of the century and get a prize.

Bang. Oooops. Next. Tickets, tickets.

The argument has been made from time to time that the mob does not kill politicians, prosecutors or policemen. But the NY families came closely to ordering a hit on Rudy Guliani when he was a U.S. attorney fighting the mon, per recently released FBI records:

From New York Post October 25, 2007:

5 MAFIA BOSSES ALMOST SANCTIONED HIT

By MURRAY WEISS, PATRICK GALLAHUE and ALEX GINSBERG

The bosses of New York's five Mafia families in the mid-1980s came a hair-trigger away from sanctioning a hit on then-federal prosecutor Rudy Giuliani, according to bombshell FBI records made public yesterday.

The mob bosses decided by a 3-to-2 margin not to try to whack the future mayor and presidential candidate. But before cooler heads prevailed, at least two of the dons argued fervently that the mob-busting U.S. attorney should sleep with the fishes.

Bonanno boss Philip "Rusty" Rastelli, Genovese chief Vincent "The Chin" Gigante and Luchese honcho Anthony "Tony Ducks" Corallo all cast votes to spare the headline-grabbing prosecutor, the documents show.

But the young guns of the bunch, Gambino boss John "The Teflon Don" Gotti and Colombo chief Carmine "The Snake" Persico, were said to lobby in favor of the murder.

The news surfaced on day six of the blockbuster trial of former FBI supervisor Lindley DeVecchio, who faces life in prison for allegedly orchestrating four gangland rubouts by leaking inside information to his own informant, Colombo soldier Gregory "The Grim Reaper" Scarpa.

DeVecchio's lawyers entered into evidence Scarpa's 600-page informant file, compiled of tips, reports and suggestions received between 1980 and 1992, none more compelling than the note detailing the Giuliani discussions.

"On Sept. 17, 1987, sources advised that recent information disclosed that approximately a year ago all five NY LCN [La Cosa Nostra] families discussed the idea of killing USA [united States Attorney] Rudy Giuliani and John Gotti and Carmine Persico were in favor of the hit," the Scarpa memo reads.

I fail to see how this is on the topic of the JFK Assassination. Tickets, tickets.

John B wrote:

I fail to see how this is on the topic of the JFK Assassination

I think most understand why it is. An argument made frequently by people denying mob involvement in the assassination (including Mr. Bugliosi in his book) is that the mob never murders politicians and/or prosecutors.

The fact that the New york mafia seriously considered killing Guiliani disproves that argument. Essentially, it proves you can never say never.

Obviously the fact that mobsters in the 1980s considered killing Guiliani does not mean that mobsters in the 1960s killed JFK. What it does mean is that you cannot dismiss the latter thought merely by saying that the Mob would NEVER EVER kill a politician or a prosecutor.