The Education Forum

UFOs and the Invasion of Iraq

John Simkin

A recent survey showed that only 34% of Americans want the US troops to stay in Iraq. It is the same percentage that believe in ghosts and UFOs.

John...please explain how this non-sequitur is relevant. Are they

the SAME 34%? Does the same group prefer hamburgers over

hotdogs? Who took this poll? What were the pollsters' viewpoint?

It is like saying 34% of men prefer blondes over brunettes...so what?

Jack

Guest David Guyatt

Personally, I prefer my aliens coloured green. Grey is such a dull, uninteresting colour. And since the US Marine Corp is sometimes called the "Green Machine", I think we can begin to see that US troops really are aliens...

At the very least they're aliens in Iraq. Illegal aliens, that is.

David

Guest Stephen Turner

So 66 % of Americans want the troops out. Pity none of them are currently resident in the White House.

43% of Armenians believe Tony Blair, and Hugh Grant are the same person.

81% of folically challenged Mancunians think anal probing a "good idea"

56% of Lesbian conservative sun worshipers would like to holiday in Great Yarmouth( for Kathy, Dave and David)

and a staggering 92% of prostetic limb producers live in Saudi Arabia.

Edited by Stephen Turner

Guest David Guyatt
56% of Lesbian conservative sun worshipers would like to holiday in Great Yarmouth( for Kathy, Dave and David)

Yum. I'm now booking my hols there for next Summer. Do they have a Lesbian beach there -- like Brighton's nudist beach? Methinks I'm going to have to dust off my trusty Box Brownie.

But the thought of sitting in Dmitri's fish 'n' chips parlour, downing a warm can of lemonade and beating the brittle fish batter off my piece of pacific cod with a 14lb hammer, and gazing quietly at the sparking azure sea, cringing uder the pulsating midday sun and watching the denizens of the nearby golden sands beach frolick in all their glory -- as I keep an eagle eye on the rusting fishing fleet tied up in the harbour is, well, so alluring...

180px-Lesvos.jpg

The paradisiacal Greek Island of Great Yarmouth from the air (courtesy of the Isle of Lesbos tourist board)

This alleged "island" looks suspiciously like a bullet-deformed third thoracic vertebra.

Hold it! I've just hit on a marketing scheme for a new female undergarment.

The Verte Bra -- It Stiffins that Special Man's Spine... (at least)

Should this be on its own thread?

Guest David Guyatt
Should this be on its own thread?

Better dangling by a thread than not dangling at all...

Is your incredibly creative and noble undergarment restricted entirely to females? It is rumoured that some minor male members of the British royal household have taken a personal interest in your idea? As soon as they disengage their noses from bagloads of white powder that is.

A recent survey showed that only 34% of Americans want the US troops to stay in Iraq. It is the same percentage that believe in ghosts and UFOs.

Jack

Jack,

I think you deserve an answer to this question, and await John's answer.

I don't know why JS has not responded, but I think that he is tired of "conspiracy theorists" being bunched into the same category as UFOs, and is trying to turn over the apple cart with this switcharooo - linking those who support the war in Iraq with those who believe in UFOs.

Get it?

As for me, I don't think it is a matter of belief in conspiracies or UFOs.

From what I understand, Project Blue Book, the Air Force's UFO program, was directed by General Cabell, the brother of the Mayor of Dallas, and the guy who failed to convince JFK of the necessity of another air strike at the Bay of Pigs.

From the multitude of Blue Book records released it is apparent that UFO reports were used to cover for the U2 project, a psychological warfare diversion that was successful for a decade.

While it is easy to dismiss "conspiracy theorists" and UFOs in the same breath, it is not so simple to psychological warfare techniques used to control the thinking and beliefs of entire populations.

Bill Kelly

Guest David Guyatt

Jack

Jack,

I don't know why JS has not responded, but I think that he is tired of "conspiracy theorists" being bunched into the same category as UFOs, and is trying to turn over the apple cart with this switcharooo - linking those who support the war in Iraq with those who believe in UFOs.

Get it?

From what I understand, Project Blue Book, the Air Force's UFO program, was directed by General Cabell, the brother of the Mayor of Dallas, and the guy who failed to convince JFK of the necessity of another air strike at the Bay of Pigs.

From the multitude of Blue Book records released it is apparent that UFO reports were used to cover for the U2 project, a psychological warfare diversion that was successful for a decade.

While it is easy to dismiss "conspiracy theorists" and UFOs in the same breath, it is not so simple to psychological warfare techniques used to control the thinking and beliefs of entire populations.

Bill Kelly

I entirely agree that UFO's are psychological warfare and mind control elements. I know I harp on about this and (yawn) send everyone to sleep (yawn again)... The US also planned to use a rash of UFO sighting to cloak a nuclear first strike against the USSR. Now unless them thar grey aliens are philosophically aligned with financial capitalism and right-wing politics, this should be sufficient to demonstrate that they are a useful myth and nothing more.

Get it?

Recently Jim DiEugenio accused me of believing in UFOs because I suggested that Mary Pinchot Meyer was killed by the CIA. It is a common tactic to try and suggest that some people believe in all conspiracy theories as a way of undermining their research. As Bill suggests, I was doing a "switcharooo".

Jack

Jack,

Get it?

Bill Kelly

Bill...Cabell was not connected to BLUE BOOK. From Wikipedia....

Public USAF UFO studies were first initiated under Project Sign at the end of 1947, following many widely publicized UFO reports (see Kenneth Arnold). Project Sign was initiated specifically at the

request of General Nathan Twining, chief of the Air Force Materiel Command at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base. Wright-Patterson was also to be the home of Project Sign and all subsequent official

USAF public investigations.

Sign was officially inconclusive regarding the cause of the sightings. However, according to U.S Air Force Captain Edward J. Ruppelt (the first director of Project Blue Book), Sign's initial intelligence

estimate (the so-called Estimate of the Situation) written in the late summer of 1948, concluded that the flying saucers were real craft, were not made by either the Russians or U.S., and were likely

extraterrestrial in origin. (See also extraterrestrial hypothesis.) This estimate was forwarded to the Pentagon, but subsequently ordered destroyed by Gen. Hoyt Vandenberg, USAF Chief of Staff, citing a

lack of physical proof. Vandenberg subsequently dismantled Project Sign.

Project Sign was succeeded at the end of 1948 by Project Grudge, which had a debunking mandate. Ruppelt referred to the era of Project Grudge as the "dark ages" of early USAF UFO investigation.

Grudge concluded that all UFOs were natural phenomena or other misinterpretations, although it also stated that 23 percent of the reports could not be explained.

Jack

Jack,

Get it?

Bill Kelly

I entirely agree that UFO's are psychological warfare and mind control elements. I know I harp on about this and (yawn) send everyone to sleep (yawn again)... The US also planned to use a rash of UFO sighting to cloak a nuclear first strike against the USSR. Now unless them thar grey aliens are philosophically aligned with financial capitalism and right-wing politics, this should be sufficient to demonstrate that they are a useful myth and nothing more.

David...I would say SOME sightings fall into the category you

mention...BUT NOT ALL. There ARE sighting of unexplainable

and unidentified flying objects. I think you would agree that

ALL have explanations...but we just don't know the explanations

yet. I have a friend who saw (in the 60s) a silvery disk fly between

two clouds while he was driving from Texas to Oklahoma. Twice

I have seen "strange lights" at night which could not be explained.

Back during early satellite times, I sat in my yard and looked to

see if I could see Sputnik (etc.). About ten p.m. I saw a light slowly

moving very high in the sky from east to west. I didn't know what

it was. SUDDENLY, it turned at a right angle and zoomed off to

the south and disappeared at VERY HIGH SPEED. No aircraft I

knew of could maneuver like that. I have no idea what it was.

Recently from my driveway I noticed in the east directly over

the DFW airport area a very bright light. It was stationary

and not moving, but too bright to be a planet. It was not an

airliner light, which I frequently see moving in that same location. I

figured it might be a police helicopter shining a spotlight. I

turned away for less than a second...AND THE LIGHT DISAPPEARED.

I have no idea what I had seen, but it was unidentifiable.

My opinion is that UFOs exist. As of now, we do not understand

what they are. And they are not just a modern phenomenon.

Take the case of the Aurora airship of the 19th century, or

the Biblical account of Ezekiel SEEING A WHEEL IN THE

AIR; AND WITHIN THE WHEEL WAS A SMALLER WHEEL...etc.

Or the Mayans and Aztecs, who carved monoliths of what

appeared to be spaceships with beings inside.

Jack

I saw a UFO some 30 years ago that I wouldn't attribute to psych ops or mind control. I would attribute it to, well, an unidentified flying object (flying straight up).