The Education Forum

Diplomatic revolt

The US State Department's recent decision to force foreign service officers to take posts in Iraq has caused a storm in Washington.

One officer said this at a recent meeting in the State Department auditorium, "I'm sorry, but basically that's a potential death sentence and you know it. Who will raise our children if we are dead or seriously injured".

http://govexec.com/dailyfed/1007/103107ap5.htm

I saw General John Elizade say on a news report last night that America might need to be in Iraq for fifty years. He chose the wrong career. Standup comedy is his real vocation.

The US State Department's recent decision to force foreign service officers to take posts in Iraq has caused a storm in Washington.

One officer said this at a recent meeting in the State Department auditorium, "I'm sorry, but basically that's a potential death sentence and you know it. Who will raise our children if we are dead or seriously injured".

http://govexec.com/dailyfed/1007/103107ap5.htm

I saw General John Elizade say on a news report last night that America might need to be in Iraq for fifty years. He chose the wrong career. Standup comedy is his real vocation.

I heard part of the meeting and one person was saying the fact, well known in the State Dept., but not to most Americans - when he said, "There are daily rocket attacks INSIDE THE GREEN ZONE!" We'll be pushed out or bombed out in a few years...but there will be little left of Iraq by that time....the real crime, by the real genocidal criminals in the Black House, formerly the White House. 

50 years! In 5 years there won't even be scorpions still alive there....just dust....much of it depleted ur

nium - a 'love note' from the American liberators. I think the only handfull of Iraqis who still

see the Americans as liberators are trapped in the Green Zone too...

They'd be killed immediately by other Iraqis, of all groupings, if they were to v

nture outside. The game will be 'up' not when the State Dept. people revolt...(but than means the next is coming

soon), but when our troops start to shoot their officers, as in Vietnam

That was what got us out of Vietnam, along with the Veterans Against the War so 

ctive in the demonstrations. Having professional [read poverty draft] military w

ll delay this only, not stop it. Let's see if the neocons grab the weapons and go fight all by themselves......

Yes, it's all starting to fall to pieces now.

Like you I only saw parts of it and I was surprised when the officer mentioned daily incoming fire in the green zone. It was news to me.

The US Government seems completely detached. Public opinion has swung strongly anti-war, yet the USG heads in the opposite direction, threatening to expand the conflict into Iran. It's a Government out of control. If an African nation behaved like that, the US would spearhead intervention. The Congress is useless--it's a fully compromised rubber stamp. The system of elected representatives is so prone to financial corruption that unless some anti-corruption mechanism is discovered, its days are numbered, imo. 51% is all that is required before full control is exercised.

Now there's problems in Pakistan destabilising the region. It looks like a revolt in the ranks of the US military might be the only thing that will stop Bush from triggering World War Three.

Edited by Mark Stapleton

Thanks for your comments, Peter.

You are certainly across these important issues, which I appreciate, although I don't have the time to respond to all of your threads.

Cluster munitions have been used extensively in Iraq. I didn't know about this. There'll be a generation of limbless Iraqis. Where's the media?

http://www.commondreams.org/archive/2007/11/05/5015/