The Education Forum

Eulogy of Bobby Kennedy by Edward Kennedy

John Simkin

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Stephen Turner
Beran, a freelance writer, contends that at the time of his death in 1968, RFK had an almost neo-Reagan outlook on politics and life.

How can anyone get it so wrong?

Certain Authors seem to percieve Bobby Kennedy as an empty vessel into which almost any Political nostrum can be poured, The Communist who tried to kill Castro, The loving family Man, who murdered Marilyn, and now the Liberal Neo-Con. Whilst certain elements of these claims may be true, the overwelming majority of it is balderdash, and no doubt a further attempt to confuse contemporary belief's about the true nature of the Brothers, and what they stood for.

Stephen's post is an excellent example of spirited but civil debate.

He attacks an argument as "balderash" without hurling insults at the proponent of the argument. I see no problem with calling an argument or an opinion "balderash", "poppycock" or even "hogwash". Although, again, I am not sure if the use of such vindictives is of any persuasive value.

But Stephen who in the world labeled RFK as a "Communist who tried to kill Castro?" Those who are aware of the Kennedys' war against Cuba, with sabotage, etc., would never call either brother a Communist, for heaven's sake--outside perhaps of the more fevered members of the JBS--but back then they were unaaware of our war against Cuba.

Guest Stephen Turner
Stephen's post is an excellent example of spirited but civil debate.

He attacks an argument as "balderash" without hurling insults at the proponent of the argument. I see no problem with calling an argument or an opinion "balderash", "poppycock" or even "hogwash". Although, again, I am not sure if the use of such vindictives is of any persuasive value.

But Stephen who in the world labeled RFK as a "Communist who tried to kill Castro?" Those who are aware of the Kennedys' war against Cuba, with sabotage, etc., would never call either brother a Communist, for heaven's sake--outside perhaps of the more fevered members of the JBS--but back then they were unaaware of our war against Cuba.

Tim, both brothers were regularly portrayed (Right wing press granted) as Communist appeasers, indeed some went as far as to claim they were proto Communist, or, at the very least, as having Communist sympathies. Perhaps the word "Communist" was a bit strong, but not by much IMHO.

Stephen, I tghink you must distinguish between responsible conservative journalism and opinions and the denizens of the extreme right. The extreme right held radical opinions to be sure but its numbers were small and its influence minimal. Journals such as National Review were highly critical of JFK's polcies but to my recollection NR never suggested that either or both brothers were sympathetic with Communism. How could they be? Dad would have whipped them within an inch of their life!

And again tis a pity the public was unaware of the extent of the brothers' secret war against Cuba.