The Education Forum

WHAT DOES THE PUBLIC THINK?

Tim Gratz

What would the US members think if we attempted to organize our own poll to determine what the public cureently thinks re who killed JFK, and whether a new congressional inquiry would be in order if the facts so warranted?

JFK pollster Lou Harris is usually in Key West in the winter and I may be able to get some help from him.

We could try to use the forum to agree upon the language of the poll.

We could determine the proper number of people to be polled. And then divide the number per state (according to population).

Each member who agreed to participate would be asked to select, at random, the appropriate number of people from each state assigned to him or her.

The participating members would be responsible for the postage costs.

The respondents would of course be guaranteed anonomity.

What do you think of the idea? It might also generate some news coverage.

I am unaware about how reliable it may be, but you might also consider a web-based poll.

IMO you would have to leave it open for an extended time so that people could become aware of it, would have to ensure that "multiple votes" is disabled, and indeed word the question/s carefully to avoid a bias or ambiguity.

Another alternative might by an online petition, to be presented to the US Congress.

Edited by Evan Burton

What would the US members think if we attempted to organize our own poll to determine what the public cureently thinks re who killed JFK, and whether a new congressional inquiry would be in order if the facts so warranted?

JFK pollster Lou Harris is usually in Key West in the winter and I may be able to get some help from him.

We could try to use the forum to agree upon the language of the poll.

We could determine the proper number of people to be polled. And then divide the number per state (according to population).

Each member who agreed to participate would be asked to select, at random, the appropriate number of people from each state assigned to him or her.

The participating members would be responsible for the postage costs.

The respondents would of course be guaranteed anonomity.

What do you think of the idea? It might also generate some news coverage.

Tim,

I think it's a great project for you to do.

It'll keep you busy and out of everyone hair.

The only poll that mattered is the one on the American public's confidence in their government, which was always high and began to decline in January 1964, the first such poll after the assassination, and has been in decline ever since. That poll was used to bolster the JFK Act and release the records to the public, but it hasn't changed the American people's confidence in their government, and won't until the JFK assassination records are released and the major questions about the assassination are answered.

BK