The Education Forum

International Student Debate

John Simkin

Two from each country. I am expecting you to supply a large number of students for the debate.

My students will be pleased. ;)

I'm quite happy with the topics so far suggested. When I ran a similar debate last year for the Spring Day in Europe, the question of Nationality was the most popular subject. We might get some ideas for future debates from last year's debate topics

As I have said elsewhere on this forum, I'd like to do something similar this March. Perhaps this might be the opportunity for our younger (European) students to get involved in an online debate. I am intending to work with 13-14 year olds.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The respons on this page seems promising. I think the idea of John starting the first debate is good - please let us know what the topic will be as soon as possible and the date of the beginning of the debate (and a closing date if there will be one...)

The plan at the moment is to start it at the beginning of February. I would suggest that we should start a new debate every two weeks.

As our new term begins in February this date would be very convenient for me to start the first debate then.

I have another topic to offer: Imperial rule and its effects on the indigenous people.

I was reminded of the importance of this topic by the news because exactly one hundred years ago in 1904 the German troops finally defeated the peoples of what today is Namibia; the descendants of the Herero and Nama people have filed a lawsuit against the German government claiming compensation for what was done to the tribes, which the government does not want to pay.

It would be intersting to know what students think about imperialism, the uprisings of the indigenous people against the imperial powers and about the idea that the governments and taxpayers of today are expected to pay for the "crimes" committed then.

Me too - this sounds great. I will find two students from Stokesley School, Borth Yorkshire.

The topic areas sound really interesting - they'll also be perfect university interview preparation!

KerryD

I have to very able students who are currently moderators on my own forum using invision powerboard.

So you can count Chilton trinity Technology College in for sure.

We are currently holding a mini debate (about to start soon) between ourselves and our link schools (Jean Castel, France and Others) So i will inform them as well

B Collinge

We are currently holding a mini debate (about to start soon) between ourselves and our link schools (Jean Castel, France and Others) So i will inform them as well

B Collinge

What's the url Ben? I am sure there are plenty of teachers here who would like to get involved in your debates.

Thanks also for volunteering to get some students invloved in ours.

B Collinge

For Spring Day in Europe in March I'm hoping to organise a debate about general European issues for slightly younger students.

See this thread http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=24

I'd like to make it multilingual, at least English, French and Spanish. Do you think your French partners might be interested in a forum which allows them to contribute in English or French?

I teach a group of about 20 students in a subject called International relations. They are fairly grown ups, it’s their last year of studies at our school. I think that some of them would be interested to participate in debated forum debating international politics. How far has the planning for this forum come? Will this debate forum be opened in February as suggested? Will the forum be open one? I would like to have voluntary participation of all my students at this debate forum. Not just only 2 chosen students. This will enable me to spread the debate ideas to a large group (not everyone has to debate, it’s often enough to take passively part in order to enhance knowledge) and at the same time allowing the most interested student to take part and discuss the debated topics. I do feel that my students (in the same way as Marco pointed it) will feel uncomfortable in using English language in a rather difficult context.

I teach a group of about 20 students in a subject called International relations. They are fairly grown ups, it’s their last year of studies at our school. I think that some of them would be interested to participate in debated forum debating international politics. How far has the planning for this forum come? Will this debate forum be opened in February as suggested? Will the forum be open one? I would like to have voluntary participation of all my students at this debate forum. Not just only 2 chosen students. This will enable me to spread the debate ideas to a large group (not everyone has to debate, it’s often enough to take passively part in order to enhance knowledge) and at the same time allowing the most interested student to take part and discuss the debated topics. I do feel that my students (in the same way as Marco pointed it) will feel uncomfortable in using English language in a rather difficult context.

It was made clear at the beginning that this debate would be restricted to two high ability students per school (except for the case of International Schools that have the ability to provide students from different countries).

Details of these two students should be sent to Richard Jones-Nerzic. He will then arrange for them to be registered for the debate.

If you want a whole class to be involved in another debate you will need to make the necessary arrangements with Richard.

It was also decided that the first debate would take place in February. The reason for this was that Australian schools would not be able to take part before then. Richard also had a preference for the debate to be started in February. I will consult with Richard about the actual date when we will start.