The Education Forum

Why was the Forum Down?

Guest Gary Loughran
I couldn't get the forum for five days. Why? This is by far the longest time it had been down, and it ontologically bummed me out, as I had just done lots to promote the forum, and now all these new folks( in my immagination?) couldnt check out the forum.

Nathaniel, I can only guess that the bandwidth limits were exceeded.

Without being certain, it is likely the forum is permitted X amount of throughput per month, per contract, if this is exceeded then the excess typically has to be purchased. With the limit reached so close to a new month it may have been prudent to wait until the new months allocation.

Else John S was not around to look into the problem.

I couldn't get the forum for five days. Why? This is by far the longest time it had been down, and it ontologically bummed me out, as I had just done lots to promote the forum, and now all these new folks( in my immagination?) couldnt check out the forum.

Without being certain, it is likely the forum is permitted X amount of throughput per month, per contract, if this is exceeded then the excess typically has to be purchased. With the limit reached so close to a new month it may have been prudent to wait until the new months allocation.

Gary's explanation is correct. Andy and myself have tried to persuade members to reduce the size of images posted, deleting early images, etc. but with no avail. Therefore, at the end of each month I have had to buy extra bandwidth. I thought by not doing this it might impose some discipline on members. If that amounts to a conspiracy, than that is what it was.

"reduce the size of images posted"

this is important. Size (when defined in Bytes) can easily be manipulated by assorted freeware utilities that do not significantly degrade the eyes perception of the image, ie the message the poster is trying to convey. For example a JPG saved posted lossless compared to one posted at 75% compression are visually practically indistinguishable but the Byte size difference is VERY considerable.

Format or file extension is also a factor and various types of documents are better suited for different formats. It behoves members to educate themselves on these issues. Other topics have covered this.

A continually repeated exhortation that members avail themselves of free account file hosts and get up to speed on posting links to offsite documents, images stored there, is also recommended. Photobucket for example seems to work well.

Inconsequential oneliners and the follow up readings and posts also contribute to Bandwidth use.

I got the message "bandwidth exceeded" and thought for a moment that Sgt. Pepper and the boys had overindulged on the turkey and dressing.

Gary's explanation is correct. Andy and myself have tried to persuade members to reduce the size of images posted, deleting early images, etc. but with no avail. Therefore, at the end of each month I have had to buy extra bandwidth. I thought by not doing this it might impose some discipline on members. If that amounts to a conspiracy, than that is what it was.

And to think I thought it was the poor quality of some of the more recent post that had brought it down. Maybe people will start referencing threads and post by numbers without repeatedly posting large images of floating cop torsos and absurd enlargements of alleged mallet wavers in order to cut back on wasted forum bandwidth.

Edited by Bill Miller

Folks, start using Photobucket. It is easy to use. Then this will help with this problem and your photos will alway be there.

I think that another way we can reduce the bandwidth is to watch what we quote in the replies. All too often, someone will write a very long (but usually good) post, with photos. The replies usually quote the entire post, along with the pictures, which is usually unnecessary. Not only does it use extra bandwidth, but it's very tedious for viewers who have to scroll down several pages of original message only to read "good point" as the reply. This also goes for the "quoting of quoting of quoting of quotes of replies". I think you know what I'm talking about.

Learn to use "cut and paste" along with the words "quote" and "/quote" (with brackets replacing the quotes) to only post the part of the message that is being responded to. Also, make sure that NO pictures are part of the reply and instead reference the picture in the text of the reply.

In other words, use the "add reply" or "fast reply" button instead of the "reply button.

JWK

Edited by J. William King

I think that another way we can reduce the bandwidth is to watch what we quote in the replies. All too often, someone will write a very long (but usually good) post, with photos. The replies usually quote the entire post, along with the pictures, which is usually unnecessary.

I have often wondered why people are copying the entire post they reply to. Often times someone will be addressing one small part of a post and yet they copy the whole damned thing ... makes no sense to me. I just assumed that some people are trying to run out the bandwidth of the forum.

Bill

I believe you are referencing the 33ft shooter location. Why not save forum bandwidth by discussing that particular topic in the correct thread instead of trying to get a cheap dig in this thread.

Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but "X" amount of bandwidth is still the same no matter what thread it is used in.