The Education Forum

Presidential Humour

Tim Gratz

Besides his intellect and charm, one of the things that most attracted people to JFK was his humour.

There are several interesting parallels between the candidacy of JFK in 1960 and Mitt Romney in 2008. One of course being the religious issue. But I think Romney faces a more serious problem than JFK did since there are far fewer Mormons than Catholics.

Romney is, at least in my opinion, the most telegenic of all the candidates of either party, so in that regard he also resembles Kennedy.

And of course both are from Massaschusetts.

Now after all that is said, I am not a Romney supporter, but I recently read a blog where the candidates were asked re their funniest joke and Romney won that question hands down. So here was Romney's response:

Former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney, referring to his wife: "Well, the best one, of course, is the, 'Ann, did you in your wildest dreams see me running for president?' And then I say that she says, 'You weren't in my wildest dreams.' That gets the best response."

I have been reading Parmet's biography of JFK. It is very good and I will post some of its stories in this thread.

There are several interesting parallels between the candidacy of JFK in 1960 and Mitt Romney in 2008. One of course being the religious issue. But I think Romney faces a more serious problem than JFK did since there are far fewer Mormons than Catholics.

Maureen Dowd:

The problem with Mitt is not his religion; it is his overeager policy shape-shifting. He did not give a brave speech, but a pandering one. Disguised as a courageous, Kennedyesque statement of principle, the talk was really just an attempt to compete with the evolution-disdaining, religion-baiting Huckabee and get Baptists to concede that Mormons are Christians.

“J.F.K.’s speech was to reassure Americans that he wasn’t a religious fanatic,” Mr. Krakauer agreed. “Mitt’s was to tell evangelical Christians, ‘I’m a religious fanatic just like you.’”

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/09/opinion/...&ei=5087%0A

I'm developing a new knack. I can spot a Tim Gratz thread by its (irrelevant) title alone, without looking to see who started it.

Thanks, Tim, for bringing out this new talent in me!

I agree with Ron....since this is the JFK ASSASSINATION Debate forum....where is the relevance to the JFK ASSASSINATION ??

Edited by Mark Knight

I agree with Ron....since this is the JFK ASSASSINATION Debate forum....where is the relevance to the JFK ASSASSINATION ??

Unlike the Catholic, Kennedy, Romney must follow this.......

LDS Latter Day Saints Mormon "Political Manifesto"

Saints must consult their esslesiastical superiors to obtain permission

before accepting Any appointment that might interfere with their

religious duties.