The Education Forum

Is Fabregas vital to Arsenal's continued challange for honours?

Guest Stephen Turner

Guest Stephen Turner

To me without him, and possibly Hleb, Arsenal look a completely different team, and one with a very soft centre. Middlesboro should have beaten them much more easily yesterday, and they were there for the taking at St james park on Wednesday, not to mention the fowl up in Europe.

So, thoughts on this. Because to me without Cesc Aresenal look like the Arsenal of last year, pretty, but pretty easy to roll over when the going gets tough.

To me without him, and possibly Hleb, Arsenal look a completely different team, and one with a very soft centre. Middlesboro should have beaten them much more easily yesterday, and they were there for the taking at St james park on Wednesday, not to mention the fowl up in Europe.

So, thoughts on this. Because to me without Cesc Aresenal look like the Arsenal of last year, pretty, but pretty easy to roll over when the going gets tough.

I agree. They also miss Mathieu Flamini. However, I don't think you will win anything without a strong British spine in the team. What would Chelsea have been over the last few years without Lampard, Terry and the two Coles? West Ham had 8 players from Britain (6 from England) in yesterday's starting line-up. An Englishman came on as substitute and scored the winning goal.

Guest Stephen Turner

I agree. They also miss Mathieu Flamini. However, I don't think you will win anything without a strong British spine in the team. What would Chelsea have been over the last few years without Lampard, Terry and the two Coles? West Ham had 8 players from Britain (6 from England) in yesterday's starting line-up. An Englishman came on as substitute and scored the winning goal.

Yep, I forgot about Flamini. in some respects I admire Wenger, his teams always play delightfull football, and when you consider what style the Gunners prefered before he turned up, thats no small complement. but all teams need some steel at heart when things don't go according to plan, and Arsenal just looked like sulky little boys who could'nt get their own way last night. Eboue is a disgrace.

Guest Gary Loughran

I think Arsenal miss him as much as any team that loses a truly world class player. All United's losses this season have come in the combined absence of Rooney and Ronaldo.

In Arsenal's case, as has already been highlighted, Flamini is missing. This is the whole centre midfield partnership...of course they will struggle. Fabregas is like Keane in that they are players who can dictate and control the pace of a game. They control more games in 1/3 of a season than Lampard has in his career...if ever.

Add Diaby, Hleb and Van Persie and there is the sense that Arsenal are missing nearly half their first team. The expectancy of winning the championship was to a large degree dependent on retaining an injury free team. I would question Diarra's inclusion. I feel Denilson is much better, but I suppose Wenger is leaning towards experience.

Guest Gary Loughran

Hi Stephen,

I notice in your sig

ALL THE PRISONS BUILT BY MEN ARE BUILT WITH BRICKS OF SHAME.

BALLARD OF READING JAIL.

Did you know that line is also in Oscar Wildes similarly titled Ballad of Reading Gaol.

:blink:

Gary