The Education Forum

The Parkland Cuban:

Greg Parker

Peter, Myra & Mark

The issue of misspelled names is a huge one. But it's not always insurmountable. One example: the names of the witness I found appears once in the 26 volumes. In trying to track this person down, it became obvious that no-one has such a surname. On a hunch, I added a particular letter and immediately found him. Others have also been found despite their names not appearing anywhere in the records with the right spelling.

Assuming a misspelling can also be a trap. One example: There was an FBI report issued after the assassination detailing a report sent to USIA by a "Bernard Weisman" accusing Chinese Communists. I immediately thought that it had to be Bernard Weissman of Black Border ad fame - especially since his name is incorrectly spelled with one "s" in some documents. It took a few years, but I finally found a government record which showed that the USIA did in fact employ a "Bernard Weisman". Two different spellings, and now I knew it was also two different people.

The Hosey/Jose argument had merit... but only up until James confirmed there really was an employee named Hosey (McCoy). Just to confuse things further... the White Pages lists no "Hosey McCoy"... but there is a listing for a Hosery McCoy in Alabama. Is this another misspelling... or just a case of cruel parents :huh:

I agree. I'm working on a matter now and asked NARA if they had any files on this person. Answer was 'No'. It seemed impossilble. I had someone take a look at all varients of the first letter changed and 'bingo', we found the file - first letter changed on folder, yet inside EVERY time the name was spelled perfectly correctly. The folder was changed ON PURPOSE TO HIDE IT.....as the name is a very, VERY important one...no 'john doe', this. This is exactly the endless problem we face. When I submit FOIAs I even offer varients of spellings - as they will use anything to deny all - especially now. A few times it might be the stupidity of the DPD and others, but even a very illiterate American knows the name and how to spell Jose. I belive Mae Brussell once did a show on mis-spellings and transpositions of names.

Good points Greg.

And Peter, I was just thinking how interesting it'd be to have a list of misspelled names in this case.

Maybe that episode of Mae's show is archived online.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Greg,

Buried in the Dallas assassination archives is the original of a memo from OA Jones to Chief Stevenson and Captain Fritz. The date is listed as "unknown". A copy of this however, is also in the archives, and it gives the date as Nov 22, 1963.[3]

The text of the Memo is reproduced here:

To: Chief Stevenson

Captain Fritz

Subject: Information on threats against President Kennedy

The wife of Detective RE Abbott said that a former employee at Parkland Hospital was heard by Mrs Johnson on the admission desk and a orderly named HOSEY saying that President Kennedy would be killed. The former employee was a Cuban.

His name can be furnished by Mr Morgan, who is Mrs Abbott's supervisor.

OA Jones

Captain of Police

It is a pity Weisberg did not know of this memo at the time he was writing Whitewash. It seems to have gone largely unnoticed or ignored ever since.

I think I may have a little something for you.

Robert E. Abbott was a Detective in the Criminal Investigation Division, Forgery Bureau.

http://www.maryferrell.org/mffweb/archive/...p;relPageId=165

The memo to M.W. Stevenson was from Captain O.A. Jones, the Head of the Forgery Bureau.

http://jfk.ci.dallas.tx.us/03/0399-001.gif

The Price Exhibit 2-35 are statements of various Parkland Hospital employees concerning the events of November 22-24. They can be found in volume 21 of the WC Hearings.

On page 249 of this Exhibit, is the report of Ass't Administrator Bob Holcomb concerning the shooting of Oswald on the 24th. In it, ...says that Admitting Orderly Holse

was in the morgue. Holse is mentioned at least three times on that page.

http://www.maryferrell.org/mffweb/archive/...p;relPageId=273

Since Cap't Jones memo says that Mrs. Johnson was on the admissions desk, I'm willing to bet that Admitting Orderly, Holse is the orderly in question.

Steve Thomas

Greg,

The Price Exhibit 2-35 are statements of various Parkland Hospital employees concerning the events of November 22-24. They can be found in volume 21 of the WC Hearings.

On page 249 of this Exhibit, is the report of Ass't Administrator Bob Holcomb concerning the shooting of Oswald on the 24th. In it, ...says that Admitting Orderly Holse

Also on page 248 of that Exhibit, Holcomb wrote that on Sunday afternoon, he and others contacted Department Heads about supplying the office with a current list of employees in each of their departments. "Miss Gannon and Mrs. Reddick accumulated the lists and, I believe were complete before early evening."

So, we know that at one time, there was a list of current hospital employees held in the office as of 11/24/63.

Steve Thomas

Greg,

Also on page 248 of that Exhibit, Holcomb wrote that on Sunday afternoon, he and others contacted Department Heads about supplying the office with a current list of employees in each of their departments. "Miss Gannon and Mrs. Reddick accumulated the lists and, I believe were complete before early evening."

So, we know that at one time, there was a list of current hospital employees held in the office as of 11/24/63.

Steve Thomas

Steve, terrific work! I think you've got the right guy. The DPD report identifies "Hosey" as being an orderly in the Admissions office.

As a side note, when I was looking for further information, I discovered the chief clerk in the Admissions office was a Ulah McCoy. Very strange given James R identified an employee named "Hosey" McCoy as a possibility. Incidentally, James - I hope you're riding out the rough weather up there where you are...

Steve, Not having a first name for Holse makes it difficult to trace him. That means finding the employee lists is still a priority in identifying the Cuban. I don't think it's an exaggeration to suggest that identifying him could be a case breaker.

Greg,

Steve, Not having a first name for Holse makes it difficult to trace him. That means finding the employee lists is still a priority in identifying the Cuban. I don't think it's an exaggeration to suggest that identifying him could be a case breaker.

Parkland is the chief teaching school for the UT Southwestern Medical Center.

Here's a web site for their Library:

http://www4.utsouthwestern.edu/library/

One of the choices is, "Ask a Librarian"

Perhaps you could send an email and ask if they could find an employee list from 1963, like the one that Holcomb put together on 11/23/63.

Also, the National Archives has a Parkland Memorial Hospital collection of records here:

http://www.archives.gov/research/jfk/findi...-materials.html

Steve Thomas

Greg,

Parkland is the chief teaching school for the UT Southwestern Medical Center.

Here's a web site for their Library:

http://www4.utsouthwestern.edu/library/

One of the choices is, "Ask a Librarian"

Perhaps you could send an email and ask if they could find an employee list from 1963, like the one that Holcomb put together on 11/23/63.

Thanks Steve, but after looking at the library policy, I don't fit into any of the categories of those who can use the service and would need to seek "special approval" from the board.

Also, the National Archives has a Parkland Memorial Hospital collection of records here:

http://www.archives.gov/research/jfk/findi...-materials.html

I note these materials were donated by the 6th Floor Museum. Maybe Gary Mack knows if the material includes such lists?

Another alternative is trying to track down Dr Godinez.

Steve Thomas

Greg,

Captain Fritz

The wife of Detective RE Abbott said that a former employee at Parkland Hospital was heard by Mrs Johnson on the admission desk and a orderly named HOSEY saying that President Kennedy would be killed. The former employee was a Cuban.

OA Jones

Captain of Police

I wrote the Dallas Police Association.

They have no contact information on Det. Robert E. Abbott and do not know if he is still alive.

I have not been able to find any web-based information on the Robert Holcomb or Robert Struwe mentioned in Price's WC Exhibit.

Steve Thomas

A former Dallas policeman wrote me and said:

I knew Bob Abbott. At his retirement he had more years on the DPD than

anyone, 45 years. He has been deceased for quite a number of years.

Another member, now deceased, of the Forgery Bureau surpassed Bob's 45

years.

OT: just as an aside note, another former Dallas policeman told me that the guys in the Forgery Bureau seemed to stay on their jobs forever.

(Looks like it)

Steve Thomas

Steve and James,

thanks for all the effort you've both put in on this.

I'm pretty much convinced now that the only records likely to be obtained would be lists of employees involved in the admission and treatment of JFK, Connally and LHO.

The person we're looking for may or may not be on such lists. It's not even clear as to when exactly he left Parkland.

I'm going to try and locate Godinez, though I have doubts as to how helpful he is likely to be, given comments made by Mrs Connell at the time regarding the general attitude of the Cubans when it came to protecting their own.

The only other hope I can see is a longshot - someone reading this who either knows who the Cuban was - or at least remembers Hosey / Holse and coming forward with information.

• 1 year later...
Steve and James,

I'm pretty much convinced now that the only records likely to be obtained would be lists of employees involved in the admission and treatment of JFK, Connally and LHO.

The person we're looking for may or may not be on such lists. It's not even clear as to when exactly he left Parkland.

I'm going to try and locate Godinez, though I have doubts as to how helpful he is likely to be, given comments made by Mrs Connell at the time regarding the general attitude of the Cubans when it came to protecting their own.

The only other hope I can see is a longshot - someone reading this who either knows who the Cuban was - or at least remembers Hosey / Holse and coming forward with information.

Although I cannot provide any information regarding Hosey, there is with the addition of what I will post here an emerging picture of Dallas Cuban's that is a lot more intertwined with the medical community in Dallas than I ever would have imagined.

Call it a factoid, call it meaningless, but read the following...

Get ready for another weird connection

SALAZAR, JORGE ----- Sources: WC Vol 19, 534; CD 1085u, p. 4 Mary's

Comments: WC Vol 19, p. 534 uses "3128" Harlandale. There was no 3128 Harlandale. Salazar was iron worker for Weaver Iron. His wife, Rosa, was technician for Cairns, Noteboom & Garza Clinical Lab (they were ones who examined Harper bone fragment). CD 1085u, p. 4, states "these meetings [Alpha 66] are almost always held in the home of Jorge Salazar, residence, 3126 Hollandale, Dallas."

So hear you have Jorge Salazar's wife Rosa, who gosh knows, might have been another Mother Teresa for all I know, working in the same clinical lab that is analyzing the Harper fragment......

Does that creep anybody out except me?

I mean Jorge Salazar 3126 Harlandale, Oswald allegation.....

Speaking of auxiliary locations to Dealey Plaza - what about employees and lunch guests at the Dallas Trade Mart?

Do we accept the claims that "JFK couldn't be allowed to leave Dealey Plaza alive?" Do claims of a car bomb parked just beyond the triple overpass keep us from looking at the luncheon site as a back-up killing ground? What if the radio call had been "No-go" in Dealey that day?

Steve and James,

Although I cannot provide any information regarding Hosey, there is with the addition of what I will post here an emerging picture of Dallas Cuban's that is a lot more intertwined with the medical community in Dallas than I ever would have imagined.

Call it a factoid, call it meaningless, but read the following...

Get ready for another weird connection

SALAZAR, JORGE ----- Sources: WC Vol 19, 534; CD 1085u, p. 4 Mary's

Comments: WC Vol 19, p. 534 uses "3128" Harlandale. There was no 3128 Harlandale. Salazar was iron worker for Weaver Iron. His wife, Rosa, was technician for Cairns, Noteboom & Garza Clinical Lab (they were ones who examined Harper bone fragment). CD 1085u, p. 4, states "these meetings [Alpha 66] are almost always held in the home of Jorge Salazar, residence, 3126 Hollandale, Dallas."

So hear you have Jorge Salazar's wife Rosa, who gosh knows, might have been another Mother Teresa for all I know, working in the same clinical lab that is analyzing the Harper fragment......

Does that creep anybody out except me?

I mean Jorge Salazar 3126 Harlandale, Oswald allegation.....

Thanks Robert... stuff like this is always intriguing, but it's unfortunately rare that it can be taken any further. That said, you may just be the person to do it.

This actually reminded me of a similar maybe-it-means-something-maybe-it-doesn't deal. Joe Molina's wife was among the cooks preparing the Luncheon at the trade mart. How did it happen that the wife of a former prominent member of an alleged extreme radical organisation get that gig? The GI Forum was considered such a risk, it was among the groups being watched closely in the lead up to the presidential visit.

On Hosey... a quick check in the White Pages shows 13 Hoseys listed in Dallas. FWIW.

http://www.jfk-online.com/jpsjmbljs.html

"Curiously, John Stanford and William Lowery had been the subject of wide-spread publicity about two months before the assassination. John Stanford, then a resident of San Antonio, was being investigated by Texas state and Bexar County authorities because of his alleged membership in the Communist party. In July of 1963, U. S. Attorney General Robert Kennedy asked Texas officials to refrain from taking action against Stanford until after the completion of Federal proceedings. (San Antonio Express, p. 5-A) On September 23, 1963, a hearing on Stanford was held before the Subversive Activities Control Board (SACB) in Washington. One of those testifying was William J. Lowery, who revealed that he had been acting as an FBI informant within the Communist Party since 1945. (Dallas Morning News, September 26, 1963, s. 1, p. 1; San Antonio Express, September 24, 1963, p. 1- A ) Lowery's testimony that he had infiltrated the American G. I. Forum and other reputable groups created some controversy. An FBI spokesman denied that the FBI had ordered the infiltrations and said Lowery had been following the orders of the Communist Party in joining those groups. (San Antonio Express, September 25, 1963, p. 10-D; September 27, 1963, p. 5-B ) In December, state and county officials raided the home of John Stanford and seized many of his papers and belongings. (San Antonio Express, December 28, 1963, p. 1-A)

Thus, the Dallas Police were suspicious of Molina because he was associated with a man who had been identified as an FBI informant on the front page of a Dallas newspaper. During his testimony before the Warren Commission, Molina attempted to talk about Bill Lowery, but was cut short by Commission counsel, Joseph A. Ball."

_____

edit:edit:@#%&*emoticon

Edited by John Dolva

Greg,
Buried in the Dallas assassination archives is the original of a memo from OA Jones to Chief Stevenson and Captain Fritz. The date is listed as "unknown". A copy of this however, is also in the archives, and it gives the date as Nov 22, 1963.[3]

Captain Fritz

OA Jones

Captain of Police

It is a pity Weisberg did not know of this memo at the time he was writing Whitewash. It seems to have gone largely unnoticed or ignored ever since.

I think I may have a little something for you.

Robert E. Abbott was a Detective in the Criminal Investigation Division, Forgery Bureau.

http://www.maryferrell.org/mffweb/archive/...p;relPageId=165

The memo to M.W. Stevenson was from Captain O.A. Jones, the Head of the Forgery Bureau.

http://jfk.ci.dallas.tx.us/03/0399-001.gif

Since Cap't Jones memo says that Mrs. Johnson was on the admissions desk, I'm willing to bet that Admitting Orderly, Holse is the orderly in question.

Steve Thomas

In line with Mark's observation, couldn't be Jose [Hosey - or really, HOE-seh] Reyse could it?

http://www.assassinationresearch.com/v4n2/v4n2contents.doc

- lee

Edited by Lee Forman