The Education Forum

Facebook, the Neo Cons and the CIA

John Simkin

Interesting article by Tom Hodgkinson on the people behind Facebook:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2008/jan/14/facebook

Very interesting article John. Theil seems like a bit of a reptile. Tom Hodgkinson is not alone in despising Faceook. I have not taken a liking to it either for much the same reasons. The internet can be great in connecting people like the Ed forum does. People that may never get to meet in real life are able to work on projects, exchange ideas and support each other. People like Theil want enclose the commons for themselves and make every human interaction a commercial one and one in which they are the financial beneficiary. They want to know the ins and outs of a ducks bottom with regards to everyones private lives but with them it is all commercial in confidence. Didn't Marx say something about the worker ending up as a mere appendage on the machine? I think he would have something to say about this too. Thank goodness for the FOSS types in the industry keeping the commons open for all.

Guest David Guyatt

The CIA connections make it more than just a commercial enterprise, but also an open source intelligence gathering project (IC-ROSE) that forms part of the overall US OSINT project.

Of course, the project is even more highly favoured if it can also generate black income (by which I mean in this case bypassing Congressional oversight).

The human-computer interface is something that should also concern us for the future. As more and more kids are bred into a society that is increasingly dominated by a created cyber reality, then the ability for independent thought will, I suspect, beging to wane.

Cyber slavehood.

Guest Stephen Turner

Repulsive, and very scarry. the Human connections between people are what essentially confirs Humanity upon us, take that away and whats left? Atomised individuals, bleating at each other about the latest consumer must-have across the arid vastness of the internet. The very nemesis of John's communal intelegence.

Guest David Guyatt
Repulsive, and very scarry. the Human connections between people are what essentially confirs Humanity upon us, take that away and whats left? Atomised individuals, bleating at each other about the latest consumer must-have across the arid vastness of the internet. The very nemesis of John's communal intelegence.

Agreed, Steve. The Brave New World at its finest.

Peter is also correct, I think. The UKUSA "Echelon" eavesdropping system collects every, repeat every, electronic message -- be it phone (landline and mobile), internet, fax -- everything sent electronically across the planet and runs it through the vast computer system searching each message for "keywords". Very scary.