The Education Forum

Apollo 17: A Little More Controversy

Duane Daman

Utter nonsense. Or anti-Apollo disinformation if you prefer.

The "lost" telemetry tapes for ALL of the Apollo missions are now "anti-Apollo disinformation" ?? ... It's a FACT that the telemetry of "mankind's greatest achievement" is missing.

Now who's grasping at straws ?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow Duane, you are starting to look like the scarecrow in the Wizard of Oz with all of this clutching of straws....

Well, I'd much rather be the scarecrow than the Wizard of Oz ( good analogy Craig ! ) who hides behind a curtain of deceit, the way NASA does, when duping people into believing that the Van Allen radiation belts are not at all dangerous to human life.

I might not be able to find any "figures" to support my argument, but the current scientific articles are finally admitting just how dangerous deep space radiation really is for manned space flights ... and NASA has finally admittd that humans are not venturing out to the Moon or to Mars until the proper radiation shileding can be developed sometime in the future.

Wow, what spin! Try again next time...if you can find the facts and the heart to admit your gross errors....

I might not be able to find any "figures" to support my argument, but the current scientific articles are finally admitting just how dangerous deep space radiation really is for manned space flights ... and NASA has finally admittd that humans are not venturing out to the Moon or to Mars until the proper radiation shileding can be developed sometime in the future.

I don't know how many times people have to keep repeating this to you:

LONG TERM EXPOSURE.

A Mars mission will require 18 months or so, there and back. Not the 12-odd days for Apollo to go to the Moon and back.

(These times include surface activity)

The next lunar missions are not just talking about a quick 2 or 3 days visit; they are talking about staying for weeks or months.

The Mars missions will be staying for months.

LONG TERM EXPOSURE.

Think about it this way: it's okay for you to have x-rays taken of your teeth 10 or 12 times over your lifetime (perhaps even more).... but the technician will jump behind a protective screen. If it's safe for you, why not for them?

Why? Because they are subject to LONG TERM EXPOSURE.

Edited by Evan Burton

The "lost" telemetry tapes for ALL of the Apollo missions are now "anti-Apollo disinformation" ?? ... It's a FACT that the telemetry of "mankind's greatest achievement" is missing.

Well, no, you are wrong again:

Technical spokesman for the group is Bill Wood, a retired Apollo tracking station engineer in Barstow, California. He supported all of the Apollo missions at Goldstone — part of NASA's worldwide network of deep space antennas run by the Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL) in Pasadena, California.

Wood hasn't been happy of late with some reports saying that they are looking for "missing Apollo videotapes" — as well as tabloid claims that NASA had somehow bungled a task.

"That's the furthest thing from the truth," Wood told SPACE.com. "There are no lost Apollo video tapes," he emphasized.

http://www.collectspace.com/news/news-081406a.html

If you would like Bill Wood's email address, please PM me and I'll ask if I can give it out.

Here's the actual quote from my post.

"You’d think if the Apollo moon landing had actually occurred, the film and photogaphy used to document the events would be treasured and preserved like gold and diamonds in a vault. However, now NASA has admitted to LOSING THEM ENTIRELY?!"

No mention of lost telemetry tapes. The claim was that ALL the film and photography has been lost. Which is utter nonsense of course. Either that or disinformation.

No mention of lost telemetry tapes. The claim was that ALL the film and photography has been lost. Which is utter nonsense of course. Either that or disinformation

I think it's pretty obvious that the author of that statement meant the original telemetry tapes that NASA thought so little of that they got "lost" in the bowels of the Goddard Space Flight Center, never to be found again ... and not the degraded video copies that are paraded about on the ALSJ today.

LONG TERM EXPOSURE.

Yes, that would be the excuse used by NASA today, as to why they need to develope the proper radiation shielding before they will be able to "return" to the Moon .

Edited by Duane Daman

No mention of lost telemetry tapes. The claim was that ALL the film and photography has been lost. Which is utter nonsense of course. Either that or disinformation

I think it's pretty obvious that the author of that statement meant the original telemetry tapes that NASA thought so little of that they got "lost" in the bowels of the Goddard Space Flight Center, never to be found again ... and not the degraded video copies that are paraded about on the ALSJ today.

He may well have meant that, how can either of us know since he explicitly stated all the film and photography had been lost, and didn't mention telemetry?

LONG TERM EXPOSURE.

Yes, that would be the excuse used by NASA today, as to why they need to develope the proper radiation shielding before they will be able to "return" to the Moon .

Why isn't long term exposure a valid reason? If you're going to be on the moon for a matter of weeks or months, the chances of encountering a powerful flare or CME is going to increase. Astronauts fall under the same law as radiation workers in the US for the purposes of lifetime exposure to radiation. Doesn't it make sense that they'd try and minimise the potential threat from various sources of radiation?