The Education Forum

Vladimir I. Toumanoff

Stephen Roy

Does Vladimir I. Toumanoff come up anywhere on the LHO or JFK case radar?

He's usually listed as a State Department official (and he testified before Sen. Joe McCarthy). What caught my attention is that he was one of the two US representatives at the trial of U-2 pilot Francis Gary Powers in Moscow in 1960. The other was Richard Edward Synder.

He's usually listed as a State Department official (and he testified before Sen. Joe McCarthy). What caught my attention is that he was one of the two US representatives at the trial of U-2 pilot Francis Gary Powers in Moscow in 1960. The other was Richard Edward Synder.

As far as I know only very slightly. That was thru Adolph W. Schmidt who along with RICHARD HELMS managed OSS ops in Germany after WW2. Later, when Schmidt was appointed ambassador to Canada, Toumanoff was his principal political advisor.....unless of course someone on the forum has more. Denis.

Edited by Denis Pointing

As far as I know only very slightly. That was thru Adolph W. Schmidt who along with RICHARD HELMS managed OSS ops in Germany after WW2. Later, when Schmidt was appointed ambassador to Canada, Toumanoff was his principal political advisor.....unless of course someone on the forum has more. Denis.

There is nothing at NARA when searching under simple search full name, there are 90 listings under Schmidt under last name only.....when it comes to the JFK Saga, obviously there is Larrie - CUSA et al, but any Germanic name is of interest to me.....but, just the same for Russian as well......

And NARA has come under suspicion for me, I look thru a lot of de-classified stuff at maryferrell.org, and some names that a year or two ago, that would pull up results, don't anymore, at NARA, that is ...There is, of course, the benign explanation that, since, according to NARA there are no longer any quote "classified" unquote documents anymore, that some names might not appear, but common sense would tell you the comment is not actually true, if it were, it would mean the year is 2017, and all the files have been released.....Must be nice to jack with people and get away with it......

Edited by Robert Howard

Interesting, Denis. Thanks!

Snyder had worked for CIA in the past, but allegedly became a legit State officer. Yet is interesting that he was chosen to attend the trial of a CIA pilot in 1960. Ditto with Toumanoff.