The Education Forum

that awful Premier League vacuousness

Guest Gary Loughran

Guest Gary Loughran

Probably my favourite sports writer and one of my favourite players - Dunphy hits the spot again, it's part of the banal life sucking PC world in which we live

Roy Keane's ghost-writer has accused the Sunderland manager of becoming a "rent-a-quote" and being "sucked into that awful Premier League vacuousness".

Eamon Dunphy, a pundit on RTE in Ireland, helped former the Manchester United Keane write his 2002 autobiography.

But he has been unimpressed with recent comments from the Irishman.

He told the 'Pat Kenny Show' on RTE: "I know Roy well and the one thing he hated when I knew him and when we were working on that book was the bull-**** that was a part of manager-speak and part of player-speak.

"But now he holds these lengthy press conferences every week in which he anoints David O'Leary to be the next Ireland manager, anoints Terry Venables to be the next Ireland manager.

"He talks about how wonderful it is for the Premier League to play games abroad and he's just become rent-a-quote. It's quite extraordinary.

"This is a sharp, smart, outstanding human being and he's just been sucked into that awful Premier League vacuousness. It's sad to see."

And here again he hits the spot (an article I meant to post a looong time ago) - RTE's - The Premiership show and their football coverage in general is superior in every way with respect to punditry that anything the BBC or SKY produce

post-5199-1202899969_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gary Loughran