The Education Forum

1963 NO's Phone book online?

Does anybody know if there is a website where I can search a 1963 phone directory for New Orleans??

I'm looking for certain address locations, such as the Secret Service Field Office location.

Thanks -Bill

Is this any help William? It's the phone number of the present day Secret Service Office location. NEW ORLEANS 504-841-3260. Denis.

Does anybody know if there is a website where I can search a 1963 phone directory for New Orleans??

I'm looking for certain address locations, such as the Secret Service Field Office location.

Thanks -Bill

Bill,

"To examine non-current U.S. telephone directories (white and yellow pages) for years not included in the set of Phonefiche, one may request the paper copies in the Local History and Genealogy Reading Room by filling out a call slip using "Telephone Directory" as the call number, the town and state as the title, and the years needed as the volume numbers. You should be aware, however, that pre-1976 directories for fourteen states, the District of Columbia, and Chicago have been microfilmed by the Library of Congress and can only be requested in the Microform Reading Room (LJ 139B). Additional information about this microfilming project is contained in the following section."

http://www.loc.gov/rr/genealogy/bib_guid/t...honnoncurr.html

Also, you could ask these people to keep an eye out for one. They had a '62 NO directory for sale, but looks like someone beat you to it.

http://www.oldtelephonebooks.com/city/New%...leans/Louisiana

Or, for a nominal fee, call Herb Hackenberg, Telecommunications History Group, Denver on 1-303-296-1221 and he'll look up the '63 address for you.

Thanks -Bill

Bill,

"To examine non-current U.S. telephone directories (white and yellow pages) for years not included in the set of Phonefiche, one may request the paper copies in the Local History and Genealogy Reading Room by filling out a call slip using "Telephone Directory" as the call number, the town and state as the title, and the years needed as the volume numbers. You should be aware, however, that pre-1976 directories for fourteen states, the District of Columbia, and Chicago have been microfilmed by the Library of Congress and can only be requested in the Microform Reading Room (LJ 139B). Additional information about this microfilming project is contained in the following section."

Also, you could ask these people to keep an eye out for one. They had a '62 NO directory for sale, but looks like someone beat you to it.

Or, for a nominal fee, call Herb Hackenberg, Telecommunications History Group, Denver on 1-303-296-1221 and he'll look up the '63 address for you.

Thanks Dennis and Greg, I saw some of those listings too, maybe I'll call Hackenberg.

One thing I'm interested in is, who was "Mr. Rice", who had an office "over on Canal St." whom Carlos Quiroga mentions in his Grand Jury testimony as he is questioned by Garrison. He says he went over to tell Mr. Rice about Oswald, after he ran into disinterest from Martello and the FBI. He said he had worked for Mr. Rice "until he died". Was this SAIC John W. Rice of the NO's Secret Service?

Whoever it was, died proir to Quiroga's GJ date in 67'

That's why I'm looking for the NO's SS Field Office address.

Thom Purvis!.... any thoughts?

Thanks ,

-Bill

Thanks -Bill

Bill,

Thanks Dennis and Greg, I saw some of those listings too, maybe I'll call Hackenberg.

One thing I'm interested in is, who was "Mr. Rice", who had an office "over on Canal St." whom Carlos Quiroga mentions in his Grand Jury testimony as he is questioned by Garrison. He says he went over to tell Mr. Rice about Oswald, after he ran into disinterest from Martello and the FBI. He said he had worked for Mr. Rice "until he died". Was this SAIC John W. Rice of the NO's Secret Service?

Thanks ,

-Bill

Considering the computer problems which I am having, I was seriously thinking about going fishing.

Anyway.

Many of the SS as well as FBI as well as even later CIA personnel did considerable "inter-governmental" transfers.

Therefore, as most have found, most of he early CIA came from the FBI and even some from the SS.

Likewise, many of the SS came from the FBI, and as such, they often list themselves within the "Book" of former/retired FBI Agents.

Might first give this a check, and I would look through mine except that I am progressively re-boxing most of this junk back up and hauling it out to storage sheds, where not unlike already "lost" stuff, it can remain lost until such time as my descendants decide to dig through it.

Failing that, the New Orleans antique/junk/book stores always had lots of such items.

However, this was prior to Katrina and I have not been down there since before Katrina.

Those stores on the "High Ground" up at Ponchatoula and at Denham Springs always had some of these type items as well, to include finding lots of copies of various years of "JAMBALAYA", the Tulane yearbook.

So, the best liklihood would be to find someone who knows someone who plunders a lot in these places and put the word out for such an item.

Hoover was well known for his assignment of "Local" boy FBI Agents to the areas in which they grew up.

In that manner, he had considerable less problems with them blending in with and being accepted by the populace of the area.

Thanks -Bill

Bill,

Thanks ,

-Bill

Considering the computer problems which I am having, I was seriously thinking about going fishing.

Anyway.

Many of the SS as well as FBI as well as even later CIA personnel did considerable "inter-governmental" transfers.

Therefore, as most have found, most of he early CIA came from the FBI and even some from the SS.

Likewise, many of the SS came from the FBI, and as such, they often list themselves within the "Book" of former/retired FBI Agents.

Might first give this a check, and I would look through mine except that I am progressively re-boxing most of this junk back up and hauling it out to storage sheds, where not unlike already "lost" stuff, it can remain lost until such time as my descendants decide to dig through it.

Failing that, the New Orleans antique/junk/book stores always had lots of such items.

However, this was prior to Katrina and I have not been down there since before Katrina.

Those stores on the "High Ground" up at Ponchatoula and at Denham Springs always had some of these type items as well, to include finding lots of copies of various years of "JAMBALAYA", the Tulane yearbook.

So, the best liklihood would be to find someone who knows someone who plunders a lot in these places and put the word out for such an item.

Hoover was well known for his assignment of "Local" boy FBI Agents to the areas in which they grew up.

In that manner, he had considerable less problems with them blending in with and being accepted by the populace of the area.

Thom, I also asked Vince Palamara, if he knows anything. Looks like I'm going to have to go back to the Quarter again some day, loose ends are still flapping......

Thank ya much.

-Bill

Thanks -Bill

Bill,

Thanks ,

-Bill

Anyway.

Thom, I also asked Vince Palamara, if he knows anything. Looks like I'm going to have to go back to the Quarter again some day, loose ends are still flapping......

Thank ya much.

-Bill

If you are merely looking for the old "Federal" Office Building, it was located at 501 Magazine Street.

Not that far from the Reily Coffee Co at 640 Magazine street.

Thanks -Bill

Bill,

Thanks ,

-Bill

Thanks -Bill

Bill,

Thanks ,

-Bill

Bill, Could you ask Adele Edison ( or send me her E-mail address, I lost it ) if she remembers where SS Agent John Rice's office was? She went there and talked to him about Rivera.

Thanks,

-Bill O

Thanks -Bill

Bill,

Thanks ,

-Bill

Bill, Could you ask Adele Edison ( or send me her E-mail address, I lost it ) if she remembers where SS Agent John Rice's office was? She went there and talked to him about Rivera.

Thanks,

-Bill O

From my memory, the NO SS office was in the Federal Building.

Will hook you up with Adele.

Would like to read an obit for JWRice if he is certifiably dead.

BK

Thanks -Bill

Bill,

Bill, I'm sorry I lost this post, but I did email Adele and I'll will forward you her address.

BK

Thanks ,

-Bill

Thanks,

-Bill O

From my memory, the NO SS office was in the Federal Building.

Will hook you up with Adele.

Would like to read an obit for JWRice if he is certifiably dead.

BK

• 2 years later...

topical (among a number of others, imo) bump. [search Tulane : Thomas H. Purvis]