The Education Forum

Secret Service Stands Down in Dallas Appearance

http://www.star-telegram.com/dallas_news/story/486413.html

Posted on Thu, Feb. 21, 2008

Police concerned about order to stop screening

By JACK DOUGLAS Jr.

Star-Telegram Staff Writer

DALLAS -- Security details at Barack Obama's rally Wednesday stopped screening people for weapons at the front gates more than an hour before the Democratic presidential candidate took the stage at Reunion Arena.

The order to put down the metal detectors and stop checking purses and laptop bags came as a surprise to several Dallas police officers who said they believed it was a lapse in security.

Dallas Deputy Police Chief T.W. Lawrence, head of the Police Department's homeland security and special operations divisions, said the order -- apparently made by the U.S. Secret Service -- was meant to speed up the long lines outside and fill the arena's vacant seats before Obama came on.

The Secret Service did not return a call from the Star-Telegram seeking comment.

Several Dallas police officers said it worried them that the arena was packed with people who got in without even a cursory inspection.

They spoke on condition of anonymity because, they said, the order was made by federal officials who were in charge of security at the event."

Ahem.

By JACK DOUGLAS Jr.

DALLAS -- Security details at Barack Obama's rally Wednesday stopped screening people for weapons at the front gates more than an hour before the Democratic presidential candidate took the stage at Reunion Arena.

The order to put down the metal detectors and stop checking purses and laptop bags came as a surprise to several Dallas police officers who said they believed it was a lapse in security.

Dallas Deputy Police Chief T.W. Lawrence, head of the Police Department's homeland security and special operations divisions, said the order -- apparently made by the U.S. Secret Service -- was meant to speed up the long lines outside and fill the arena's vacant seats before Obama came on.

The Secret Service did not return a call from the Star-Telegram seeking comment.

Several Dallas police officers said it worried them that the arena was packed with people who got in without even a cursory inspection.

They spoke on condition of anonymity because, they said, the order was made by federal officials who were in charge of security at the event."

Ahem.

This is not a joke is it? This is ......insane.

Dawn

Perhaps it's a warning to him?

Or a mind game. The kind of thing that can make you edgy and put you off your stride.

As one of the 20,000+ people who stood outside of the Target Center in frigid weather on 2.2.08 in Minneapolis for over 2 hours, waiting for the doors to open, I can tell you that no diligence was spared for the sake of expediency. There are only approximately 8 lanes of entry into the TC, which is used for basketball and is a relatively cozy venue, and each of us (who were told ahead of time not to bring backpacks or bags) had our purses searched, and we were also wanded before being allowed to enter.

I am uncomfortable and dismayed that there would be any less security in Texas, of all places, especially when the weather certainly cannot be as severe as it was here that day.

I think Obama needs our prayers.

As one of the 20,000+ people who stood outside of the Target Center in frigid weather on 2.2.08 in Minneapolis for over 2 hours, waiting for the doors to open, I can tell you that no diligence was spared for the sake of expediency. There are only approximately 8 lanes of entry into the TC, which is used for basketball and is a relatively cozy venue, and each of us (who were told ahead of time not to bring backpacks or bags) had our purses searched, and we were also wanded before being allowed to enter.

I am uncomfortable and dismayed that there would be any less security in Texas, of all places, especially when the weather certainly cannot be as severe as it was here that day.

I think Obama needs our prayers.

I'm trying not to freak out here, and I've been telling myself that if something happened to Senator Obama it'd just be too blatant... But this is beyond ominous.

Am I over reacting?

By JACK DOUGLAS Jr.

Ahem.

Perhaps history repeating itself. Could this be a type of "security probe" before a main event located somewhere else?

I worry about the man as he gathers momentum. I worder if he or his advisors knew about this at the time. I do not think they would have O.K'ed that. If they did then he had better get new advisors. I was told by a DP who was on detail that the feds should not have been in charge.. "..they took charge..". Sounds familiar to me.

name='William Plumlee' date='Feb 22 2008, 04:19 AM' post='138209']

By JACK DOUGLAS Jr.

Ahem.

Perhaps history repeating itself. Could this be a type of "security probe" before a main event located somewhere else?

I worry about the man as he gathers momentum. I worder if he or his advisors knew about this at the time. I do not think they would have O.K'ed that. If they did then he had better get new advisors. I was told by a DP who was on detail that the feds should not have been in charge.. "..they took charge..". Sounds familiar to me.

Tosh: excellent points.

This story must be spread far and wide. Lots of people have been worried about Obama. Of course it could happen again. And of course Dallas would be perfect. Who'd stop it? Who'd tell the truth? Our press? History has already repeated too many times in our damn lifetimes. A good friend of mine compared Obama to "JFK MLK and Bobby" a few days ago. Perhaps the powers that be are making the same comparisons. No Myra you're not overreacting. "Lone nuts" are everywhere. I think this is also a warning to someone else .

Dawn

By JACK DOUGLAS Jr.

Ahem.

This story must be spread far and wide. Lots of people have been worried about Obama. Of course it could happen again. And of course Dallas would be perfect. Who'd stop it? Who'd tell the truth? Our press? History has already repeated too many times in our damn lifetimes. A good friend of mine compared Obama to "JFK MLK and Bobby" a few days ago. Perhaps the powers that be are making the same comparisons. No Myra you're not overreacting. "Lone nuts" are everywhere. I think this is also a warning to someone else .

Dawn

You might recall some 8-12 mos. ago a Ku Klux Klan leader, [if there is such a thing] threatened or made threatening comments re Barrack Obama, the story came and went, but I never heard whether the KKK figure was arrested, detained or held for questioning, which, in itself is disturbing; If the threat had been leveled at a GOP candidate, do you think it would not be widely known what happened then?

The bottom line, and that which is patently obvious is that Obama is the candidate of change, not the candidate of the status quo, [see The rest of the Field.]

And that my friends makes Barrack a clear and present danger to those who would like to continue the madness of the last seven? [just seven] years.

There needs to be an investigation........and at the very least, the word needs to go forth........

By JACK DOUGLAS Jr.

Ahem.

I think we need to do everything possible to insure that he and his advisors know about this now. I plan to phone and email his team, as well as write letters to media, and post on blogs and forums to publicize this incident. I'm also considering starting a website to monitor this situation.

I don't know what else to do at the moment.

I know Obama's message is all about hope, but this is too alarming to just hope he's safe.

By JACK DOUGLAS Jr.

Ahem.

Dawn

I guess we're not the only ones reacting this way.

Get a load of DU today:

http://www.democraticunderground.com/

Multiple threads on the subject, above the fold.

By JACK DOUGLAS Jr.

Ahem.

Dawn

You might recall some 8-12 mos. ago a Ku Klux Klan leader, [if there is such a thing] threatened or made threatening comments re Barrack Obama, the story came and went, but I never heard whether the KKK figure was arrested, detained or held for questioning, which, in itself is disturbing; If the threat had been leveled at a GOP candidate, do you think it would not be widely known what happened then?

The bottom line, and that which is patently obvious is that Obama is the candidate of change, not the candidate of the status quo, [see The rest of the Field.]

And that my friends makes Barrack a clear and present danger to those who would like to continue the madness of the last seven? [just seven] years.

There needs to be an investigation........and at the very least, the word needs to go forth........

Agreed Robert.

Let the word go forth...

This will be my project for the day, and likely for much longer.