The Education Forum

An Old Subject

As attachment is included an enlargement of the HSCA photo of the anterior throat wound of JFK, as well as one of the letters of my correspondence with Dr. Malcolm O. Perry in regards to the ER Room Treatment of JFK.

Most who are familiar with the topic are also aware that the size of the anterior throat wound which JFK had upon arrival at Parkland, is a major issue in exactly what is responsible for this wound.

Primarly, this issue surrounds the reported size of the wound, which by virtually all accounts, was only from some 3mm to

5mm in size.

(see arrow on photo for wound location)

In that regards, John Dolva long ago took this photo and through the wizardry of a computer, closed the wound and demonstrated the "best" indication of what this wound actually apeared like prior to Dr. Perry having performed the tracheotomy incision.

And, although I copied it, where is is I certainly do not know at this point.

Therefore, John, if still out there, perhaps you or someone else who copied it can post the "closed wound" photo for all to see.

Nevertheless, this posting is not in regards to the size of the anterior throat wound which Dr. Perry as well as many others saw at Parkland.

It is about the size of the surgical incision.

I couldn`t help but notice that your letter was dated May 7th 1993.Although I`m having some difficulty trying to read his response,I would think that it was possible by this time that Dr. Perry might have chosen to not give you an honest answer because,it could possibly have meant the shortness of life.

Edited by Michael Crane

Thomas H. Purvis Posted Today, 01:28 AM

As attachment is included an enlargement of the HSCA photo of the anterior throat wound of JFK, as well as one of the letters of my correspondence with Dr. Malcolm O. Perry in regards to the ER Room Treatment of JFK.

Most who are familiar with the topic are also aware that the size of the anterior throat wound which JFK had upon arrival at Parkland, is a major issue in exactly what is responsible for this wound.

Primarly, this issue surrounds the reported size of the wound, which by virtually all accounts, was only from some 3mm to

5mm in size.

In that regards, John Dolva long ago took this photo and through the wizardry of a computer, closed the wound and demonstrated the "best" indication of what this wound actually apeared like prior to Dr. Perry having performed the tracheotomy incision.

Therefore, John, if still out there, perhaps you or someone else who copied it can post the "closed wound" photo for all to see.

Nevertheless, this posting is not in regards to the size of the anterior throat wound which Dr. Perry as well as many others saw at Parkland.

Thanks for sharing that.

Had Dr. Perry been completely honest and willing to recall this issue, he would have mentioned his own views regarding whether this wound was an entry or an exit wound as well as his recollections of the dimensions of it.

On the other hand I do know that the Parkland Doctor's have been spoken to about this issue on numerous occasions, therefore I can understand why they are reluctant to do it again and again. One old event in particular comes to mind and that's the Robert Groden documentary. I can't but help think of all the attending Doctor's who placed the palms of their hands in the occipital-parietal regions of their own heads to demonstrate the size and location of the head injury of JFK.

I couldn`t help but notice that your letter was dated May 7th 1993.Although I`m having some difficulty trying to read his response,I would think that it was possible by this time that Dr. Perry might have chosen to not give you an honest answer because,it could possibly have meant the shortness of life.

My apology for the "lightness" of the handwritten response.

My copier is low on printing ink and I have been attempting to reduced down the originals in order to save posting space and get more stuff in.

$70.00 a pop for the inkjet cartridges begins to dig into the pocketbook, with as much other work as I do on the computer.

Nevertheless, it says:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Mr. Purvis,

As I said, I did not even take time to wipe the blood away before I made the tracheostomy incision. Time was critical. I have no real idea what size that exit wound was, and didn't consider that important. Attempts to save his life weere the important consideration."

MO Perry"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dr. Perry might have chosen to not give you an honest answer because,it could possibly have meant the shortness of life.[/b

Most are aware that Dr. Perry was under the initial impression that the anterior throat wound was a wound of ENTRANCE.

As were others who observed it.

In fact, some of them are still under the impression that the wound was quite possible a wound of entrance, but they have no factual evidence one way or another to support this, other than the SMALL SIZE of the wound which they observed.

And, which many KNOW BEYOND ANY REASONABLE DOUBT WAS NOT a wound of exit for a 6.5mm medium to high velocity bullet.

However, none that I am aware of have ever considered that their life was in danger from discussing what they know that they observed.

Especially since it is pretty much a matter of written record within the Parkland records as well as the WC Testimonies, and other public statements.

Thomas H. Purvis Posted Today, 01:28 AM

5mm in size.

Thanks for sharing that.

Had Dr. Perry been completely honest and willing to recall this issue, he would have mentioned his own views regarding whether this wound was an entry or an exit wound as well as his recollections of the dimensions of it.

On the other hand I do know that the Parkland Doctor's have been spoken to about this issue on numerous occasions, therefore I can understand why they are reluctant to do it again and again. One old event in particular comes to mind and that's the Robert Groden documentary. I can't but help think of all the attending Doctor's who placed the palms of their hands in the occipital-parietal regions of their own heads to demonstrate the size and location of the head injury of JFK.

Thanks for sharing that.

My thanks to John Dolva for his computer work in which he "closed" the wound, and I would hope that he is around and would repost his works.

In his work, we can all see almost exactly what the Parkland personnel saw.

I can't but help think of all the attending Doctor's who placed the palms of their hands in the occipital-parietal regions of their own heads to demonstrate the size and location of the head injury of JFK.

Well, if and when one finally places into perspective the third/last/final shot impact/aka the EOP impact, down in front of James Altgens position, which ultimately is responsible for this additional damage, which most certainly was present in the skull of JFK, then no one has to attempt to discredit those of Parkland who are, in a addition to accurately reporting, quite knowledgeable as to what they observed in the occiput region of the skull.

therefore I can understand why they are reluctant to do it again and again

Better words are not available!

Because persons did not understand the evidence, many have made unsupported accusations by the dozens against many of these persons.

Even honorable persons tire of attempting to tell the truth, only to be disbelieved by either the "establishment" or those who have an already pre-set agenda.

And, due to the actions of many of these previous persons, many doors were in fact closed.

However, I manage to "sneak" into a back window or two while the "naysayers" were knocking on the front door.

It's all in WHO you know!

But back to the "Gash", as that is what this branch of the topic is actually about.

I couldn`t help but notice that your letter was dated May 7th 1993.

Yes, but!

If you read the top of the letter, it stated:

"During our telephone conversations and in previous correspondence"

Of which, the initial date of contact, by telephone, is recorded in some book--somewhere--in some box.

However, the first written correspondence, which was some 4-full typewritten pages, was written earlier than the May 7th date, just as there were repetitive and followup telephone calls.

P.S. I happen to have an entire "sackfull" of MD friends and associates, some of whom have gained positions of some note.

And, just like having a gun in a knife fight, it never hurts to "whip out the big guns" if one wants to get in the door.

I might add that in addition to considerable other medical training, I was also taught "advanced diving physiology"; "advanced recognition and treatment of diving injuries; as well as "Advanced Hyperbaric Medicine" by USN DMO (Diving Medical Officer) Dr. Ed Tucker, who was at the time, one of the foremost authorities on Hyperbaric Medicine in the US.

In addition to the fact that I was the Commanding Officer of the facility running the ONLY full-time available diving Recompression Chamber in the Southeastern US, (located in Key West, FL) which was available for the treatment of military as well as civillian diving injuries. (United States Army Special Forces Underwater Operations Course/School)

Therefore, I had a substantial advantage on many, and fully recognized the significance of "SUBCUTANEOUS EMPHYSEMA"

http://www.history-matters.com/archive/jfk...Vol17_0029b.htm

I couldn`t help but notice that your letter was dated May 7th 1993.

Yes, but!

If you read the top of the letter, it stated:

"During our telephone conversations and in previous correspondence"

Of which, the initial date of contact, by telephone, is recorded in some book--somewhere--in some box.

However, the first written correspondence, which was some 4-full typewritten pages, was written earlier than the May 7th date, just as there were repetitive and followup telephone calls.

P.S. I happen to have an entire "sackfull" of MD friends and associates, some of whom have gained positions of some note.

And, just like having a gun in a knife fight, it never hurts to "whip out the big guns" if one wants to get in the door.

I might add that in addition to considerable other medical training, I was also taught "advanced diving physiology"; "advanced recognition and treatment of diving injuries; as well as "Advanced Hyperbaric Medicine" by USN DMO (Diving Medical Officer) Dr. Ed Tucker, who was at the time, one of the foremost authorities on Hyperbaric Medicine in the US.

In addition to the fact that I was the Commanding Officer of the facility running the ONLY full-time available diving Recompression Chamber in the Southeastern US, (located in Key West, FL) which was available for the treatment of military as well as civillian diving injuries. (United States Army Special Forces Underwater Operations Course/School)

Therefore, I had a substantial advantage on many, and fully recognized the significance of "SUBCUTANEOUS EMPHYSEMA"

http://www.history-matters.com/archive/jfk...Vol17_0029b.htm

Well, let's try that again!

Prior to continuation of the "Gash" and the "Subcutaneous Emphysema", perhaps one may learn something about how to "win enemies and influence friends" from the following which was a part of my initial letter to Dr. Perry.

AKA= It helps to arouse curiosity!

P.S. One just may want to leave their "footprint" in a variety of locations, without having actually left their scent which can be followed.

It always helps to be able to go back and point to the footprint later.

"Namedropping" sometimes helps!

Dr. Jack Doyle is from Texas, and is relatively well known, and, although from Oklahoma, the "Ringrose Clinic" and Dr. Robert Ringrose are also quite prominently known.

P.S. Dr. Perry was also provided with all of the information and facts necessary to "authoritatively state" that the anterior throat wound of JFK was in fact a "Wound of EXIT".

(note: having attachment trouble again, plus attempting to type with a dog in my lap, so either ignore or excuse the typo's.)

Subcutaneous Emphysema:

------------------------------------------------

http://www.jpgmonline.com/article.asp?issn...9;aulast=Pandey

Endotracheal intubation related massive subcutaneous emphysema and tension pneumomediastinum resulting in cardiac arrest.

--------------------------------------------------

http://thorax.bmj.com/cgi/content/abstract/34/5/665

Tracheal laceration with massive subcutaneous emphysema: a rare complication of endotracheal intubation

Our patient sustained a laceration of the membranous portion of the trachea associated with massive subcutaneous emphysema after an apparently uneventful intubation.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Intubation:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intubation

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As I have discussed elsewhere on this forum, the Subcutaneous Emphysema indication for JFK, also happens to be the "Red Flag" which demonstrates that a medical error was made at Parkland.

JFK arrived in the ER and was immediately intubated.

-----------------------------------------

Dr. PERRY - At the time I entered the door, Dr. Carrico was attending him. He was attaching the Bennett apparatus to an endotracheal tube in place to assist his respiration.

Dr. PERRY - He had just attached the machine and at this point it was not turned on. He was attempting to breathe.

In the lower part of the neck below the Adams apple was a small, roughly circular wound of perhaps 5 mm. in diameter from which blood was exuding slowly.

I asked Dr. Carrico if the wound on the neck was actually a wound or had he begun a tracheotomy and he replied in the negative, that it was a wound, and at that point--

---------------------------------------------------

What had primarily caused this frothy blood was the fact that during intubation, the "cuff"/inflatable ball on the endotracheal tube had been inflated in a position which placed it ABOVE the tracheal tear present in JFK's neck.

Thusly, when the positive pressure respritory machine was hooked up, in addition to filling JFK's lungs with oxygen, they were also filling his entire neck and chest cavity as the gas was escaping out the tracheal tear and thusly entering the neck and thoracic cavity.

Thereafter, Dr. Perry began the tracheotomy on JFK.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tracheotomy

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mr. SPECTER - Why did you elect to make the tracheotomy incision through the wound in the neck, Dr. Perry?

Dr. PERRY - The area of the wound, as pointed out to you in the lower third of the neck anteriorly is customarily the spot one would electively perform the tracheotomy.

This is one of the safest and easiest spots to reach the trachea. In addition the presence of the wound indicated to me there was possibly an underlaying wound to the neck muscles in the neck, the carotid artery or the jugular vein. If you are going to control these it is necessary that the incision be as low, that is toward the heart or lungs as the wound if you are going to obtain adequate control.

Therefore, for expediency's sake I went directly to that level to obtain control of the airway.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mr. SPECTER - Would you describe, in a general way and in lay terms, the purpose for the tracheotomy at that time?

Dr. PERRY - Dr. Carrico had very judicially placed an endotracheal but unfortunately due to the injury to the trachea, the cuff which is an inflatable balloon on the endotracheal tube was not below the tracheal injury and thus he could not secure the adequate airway that you would require to maintain respiration.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And thusly, JFK's neck as well as his thoracic cavity was filled completely with oxygen.

Dr. PERRY - Yes. Once the transverse incision through the skin and subcutaneous tissues was made, it was necessary to separate the strap muscles covering the anterior muscles of the windpipe and thyroid. At that point the trachea was noted to be deviated slightly to the left and I found it necessary to sever the exterior strap muscles on the other side to reach the trachea.*

----------------------------------------------------

*Note: This is a surgical procedure which far exceeds what is normally necessary for a common "run-of-the-mill" tracheostomy. And, would require that one actually extend the size of the incision in order to locate and cut the lateral strap muscles of the neck.

This was, according to Dr. Perry, necessary due to the deviated trachea.

------------------------------------------------------

I noticed a small ragged laceration of the trachea on the anterior lateral right side. I could see the endotracheal tube which had been placed by Dr. Carrico in the wound, but there was evidence of air and blood around the tube because I noted the cuff was just above the injury to the trachea.

Dr. McClelland's presence was known to me at the time he picked up an instrument and said, "Here, I will hand it to you."

At that point I was down in the trachea. Once the trachea had been exposed I took the knife and incised the windpipe at the point of the bullet injury. And asked that the endotracheal tube previously placed by Dr. Carrico be withdrawn slightly so I could insert a tracheotomy tube at this level. This was effected and attached to an anesthesia machine which had been brought down by Dr. Jenkins and Dr. Giesecke for better control of circulation.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Many persons have questioned as well as criticized the considerably large "gaping'/gash wound in the anterior neck of JFK.

However, not unlike most of the facts, these persons have totally neglected to verify the circumstances which caused Dr. Perry to create such a large incision for what most consider such a simple operation.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR. PERRY: It was bigger than I would make for an elective situation. In a patient that's not in extremis where you're doing an elective tracheostomy you make a nice tiny skin line incision in order to minimize the subsequent scarring. In an emergency situation, you make an incision adequate to accomplish the job, and in this case it was going to take more.

First off, as demonstrates, this was a surgical exploratory operation in which Dr. Perry entered the anterior neck thinking that he would find some damage to the anterior wall of the trachea.

What he found was a deviated trachea in which he had to extend his incision in order to have surgical room to severe the strap muscles of the neck.

Thereafter, when no tracheal injury was immediately found, the exploratory work continued until such time as the damage to the LATERAL side of the trachea was found.

When this damage was located, rather than merely cutting another incision into the trachea for insertion of the tracheostomy tube, Dr. Perry merely extended his incision to the extent necessary that the tracheotomy tube could be inserted into the existing LATERAL injury to the trachea.

Now, not unlike many other aspects of the assassination and the medical evidence, one can take that information to a "Qualified" individual, with the facts that the tracheotomy tube ultimately was installed into the LATERAL wall of the trachea, (as opposed to that simple trach operation in which the tube is merely inserted in the direct anterior portion of the trachea), as well as the fact that Dr. Perry had to have surgical room to severe the lateral strap muscles of the neck in order to even locate the trachea damage, and then decide if the large anterior wound of the neck which Dr. Perry created was our of reason and rational in it's size.

P.S. One will also find, if they ask, that most "Qualified" medical personnel will also inform that had a 6.5mm full velocity bullet struck, then he trachea would have been torn and severed extensively.