The Education Forum

New Dallas Documents Online

Gary Buell

I was going to try and keep these all together, but the Forum software will only allow a certain number of quoted blocks at one time, so I'll have to split them up.

Group 19. Congratulatory letters to Wade. Invitations to speak at various law conferences around the country. Letter to Pres. Johnson asking him to appoint Wade as Attorney General of U.S.

11/26/63 issue of The Worker calling for an independent commission.

Article from 11/29/63 issue of Deutche National Zietung. Investigation of Oswald as Walker shooter stopped by Robert F. Kennedy.

pdf 105b. p. 2. Article in 10/31/63 issue of The Wanderer of St. Paul, MN by author, Taylor Caldwell. JFK is surrounded by military men in Duluth, MN. Does he feel he is in personal danger? "The mere thought of Mr. Kennedy being assassinated should make all of us shudder..."

pdf 106a. Biographical article about Henry Wade. In WWII he served on the USS Hornet in the Pacific, along with fellow classmate John Connally.

Steve Thomas

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steve,

I'm sure I speak for everyone in expressing appreciation for you Wading through that mess.

Ron

Exactly. Thanks, Steve. I took a quick look the other night and noticed one thing that may or may not be of significance. I don't recall reading it elsewhere. Despite the repeated story that Oswald personally delayed his getting into the garage, and that his actions allowed Ruby to get in place. Graves (I believe) testified that they WAITED to bring Oswald out into the garage until someone (I don't think he says who) "gave them the all clear". Who would this "someone" be? Patrick Dean?

I'll need to look into this further. but it sounded like a possible lead.

Steve,

I'm sure I speak for everyone in expressing appreciation for you Wading through that mess.

Ron

Here, here, a feather in your caps, to Gary too, and others taking invitory, many thanks for your notes, and sharing research.

And keep an eye out for Mary Simm's box of papers and docs, as I have a feeling it is there, somewhere in the haystack.

BK

Steve,

Ron

Here, here, a feather in your caps, to Gary too, and others taking invitory, many thanks for your notes, and sharing research.

And keep an eye out for Mary Simm's box of papers and docs, as I have a feeling it is there, somewhere in the haystack.

BK

Bill

I have a meeting in Dallas soon. Do you have any question you would like for me to ask?

I was going to try and keep these all together, but the Forum software will only allow a certain number of quoted blocks at one time, so I'll have to split them up.

Group 19. Congratulatory letters to Wade. Invitations to speak at various law conferences around the country. Letter to Pres. Johnson asking him to appoint Wade as Attorney General of U.S.

Article from 11/29/63 issue of Deutche National Zietung. Investigation of Oswald as Walker shooter stopped by Robert F. Kennedy.

pdf 105b. p. 2. Article in 10/31/63 issue of The Wanderer of St. Paul, MN by author, Taylor Caldwell. JFK is surrounded by military men in Duluth, MN. Does he feel he is in personal danger? "The mere thought of Mr. Kennedy being assassinated should make all of us shudder..."

pdf 106a. Biographical article about Henry Wade. In WWII he served on the USS Hornet in the Pacific, along with fellow classmate John Connally.

Steve Thomas

Group 20. Congratulatory letters to Wade. Some wacko letters.

pdf 107b. Article in the newspaper, the Daily News. Appears to have been written five days after the assassination. Many remaining questions unanswered. Article says Kennedy hit in the throat by the first shot, angling downwards, according to a Dallas neurosurgeon who saw the wound. Refers to a film shot by an amateur that sounds much like the Zapruder film. Says three shots, one in the throat, one hit Connally, then the head shot. Makes no reference to a wound in the back.

Steve Thomas

pdf 107b. Article in the newspaper, the Daily News. Appears to have been written five days after the assassination. Many remaining questions unanswered. Article says Kennedy hit in the throat by the first shot, angling downwards, according to a Dallas neurosurgeon who saw the wound. Refers to a film shot by an amateur that sounds much like the Zapruder film. Says three shots, one in the throat, one hit Connally, then the head shot. Makes no reference to a wound in the back.

Group 21. Congratulatory letters to Wade.

Steve Thomas

Peter,

Throat wound angling downward!?!? Interesting and new, perhaps....Did it name the neurosurgeon?

No, it didn't, but they have a graphic in that article showing the bullet trajectory. Take a look at it here:

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dw...cs2/jfk107b.pdf

The graphic shows the first shot coming from the right front and elevated from a point higher than JFK.

Steve Thomas

Steve Thomas

Group 22. Congratulatory letters to Wade. A couple of notes that are not complimentary.

pdf 128. Letter from Major C.C. Booth, C.A.L. Member of Texas Parole Board. Expresses disgust at Belli's actions:

"It's a sad thing to swallow when anyone from California, a state that was among the first to mix..."

"Too bad you all didn't have some decent man who slapped that misfit in the mouth..."

"As Chairman of the Dallas County Democratic League, of which we claim several hundred membership, all of whom are REAL WHITE MEN (100%) Democratic, not that black and tan Roosevelt Johnson brand..."

Steve Thomas

Group 22. Congratulatory letters to Wade. A couple of notes that are not complimentary.

pdf 128. Letter from Major C.C. Booth, C.A.L. Member of Texas Parole Board. Expresses disgust at Belli's actions:

"It's a sad thing to swallow when anyone from California, a state that was among the first to mix..."

"Too bad you all didn't have some decent man who slapped that misfit in the mouth..."

"As Chairman of the Dallas County Democratic League, of which we claim several hundred membership, all of whom are REAL WHITE MEN (100%) Democratic, not that black and tan Roosevelt Johnson brand..."

Steve Thomas

Group 23. Newspaper articles.

pdf 136. Article in Thunderbolt, "Jews Involved in Assassination." Referenced earlier

p. 6 Article in New York Herald, "A Death in Emergency Room No One, by Jimmy Breslin - an article about Malcolm Perry.

p. 9 New York Journal American, "What Jack Ruby Told to Warren." second installment by Dorothy Kilgallen

"And while he never admitted that the reported meeting (of Tippit, Ruby, Weissman and a rich oil man in the Carousel, he never directly denied it either."

p. 13 L.A. Times 8/19/64 "Warren Panel Has No Comment on Ruby Story." How Kilgallen got ahold of Ruby's testimony to Commission.

p. 14 L.A. Times, "Federal Agents Probe Ruby Testimony Leak."

transcripts of Ruby's testimony.

pdf 137 L.A. Herald-Examiner, "Ruby Tells of Worry For Family." more Ruby transcripts

p. 4 Dorothy Kilgallen, "Sinister Forces in Dallas."

p. 8 L.A. Times, "Ruby Swings at Attorney in Jail Cell." "Jack Ruby took a swing at one of his lawyers during a conference in his jail cell Thursday..."

pdf 138. p. 14. Miami Herald "Probe Asked of Oswald Diary Leak."

p. 15 Miami Herald, 6/26/64, "Warren Report to Pin Loner Tag on Oswald." by Drew Pearson.

pdf 139 p. 2. "Soviet Police Paid Oswald." excerpts from Oswald's diary

p. 7. "Oswald Alone Killed President, Says RFK." (to a Polish crowd).

pdf 140 excerpts from LHO diary.

Steve Thomas

Group 23. Newspaper articles.

pdf 136. Article in Thunderbolt, "Jews Involved in Assassination." Referenced earlier

p. 6 Article in New York Herald, "A Death in Emergency Room No One, by Jimmy Breslin - an article about Malcolm Perry.

p. 9 New York Journal American, "What Jack Ruby Told to Warren." second installment by Dorothy Kilgallen

"And while he never admitted that the reported meeting (of Tippit, Ruby, Weissman and a rich oil man in the Carousel, he never directly denied it either."

p. 13 L.A. Times 8/19/64 "Warren Panel Has No Comment on Ruby Story." How Kilgallen got ahold of Ruby's testimony to Commission.

p. 14 L.A. Times, "Federal Agents Probe Ruby Testimony Leak."

transcripts of Ruby's testimony.

pdf 137 L.A. Herald-Examiner, "Ruby Tells of Worry For Family." more Ruby transcripts

p. 4 Dorothy Kilgallen, "Sinister Forces in Dallas."

p. 8 L.A. Times, "Ruby Swings at Attorney in Jail Cell." "Jack Ruby took a swing at one of his lawyers during a conference in his jail cell Thursday..."

pdf 138. p. 14. Miami Herald "Probe Asked of Oswald Diary Leak."

p. 15 Miami Herald, 6/26/64, "Warren Report to Pin Loner Tag on Oswald." by Drew Pearson.

pdf 139 p. 2. "Soviet Police Paid Oswald." excerpts from Oswald's diary

p. 7. "Oswald Alone Killed President, Says RFK." (to a Polish crowd).

pdf 140 excerpts from LHO diary.

Steve Thomas

Group 23 pdf 141. Picture of Jack Ruby. Look into those eyes and tell me if the hairs on the back of your neck don't stand up.

pdf 142. The Star News, Pasadena, CA. 12/23/63 "Pistol Taken From Ruby Case Witness." (Little Lynn)

p. 6. Picture of Bill Decker

p. 7. Picture of Little Lynn

articles about the trial

p. 12. David Conrad Glass of Klamath Falls, OR called Albuquerque FBI and told them he was enroute to Dallas to testify in Jack Ruby case. Asked if he had been subpoened as a witness, he said no. Later on 2/17/64 he is arrested in the courthouse carrying a gun. You can find a few more details on this in the DPD Archives, Box 18, Folder# 9, Item# 4.

pdf 143. Belli thinks phones and hotel room is being bugged.

Article, "Judge Bans Searching of Ruby Trial Jurors."

p. 6. Article. 6 weeks prior to assassination, Oswald phones New York radio station WOR and asks to be put on the air and be interviewed about the Fair Play For Cuba Committee. Says he will pay for trip to New York himself. When radio personality says no, Oswald goes into a tirade.

p. 9. San Francisco Examiner, 2/17/64. "Belli Blasts Dallas." "My Suite Bugged, Searched."

pdf 145. p. 4. S.F. Examiner, 4/19/64. "Mirror, Mirror on the Wall." article by J. Frank Dobie. Review of book by (FNU) Leslie. Scathing article about Dallas and the Citizens Council of Dallas.

p. 12 "Mystery of Balding Oswald." "...why the suspected assassin, Lee Harvey Oswald lost more than half his hair in the 2 1/2 years he lived in the Soviet Union."

Steve Thomas

Steve -

Thanks again for doing all this.

That article about the call to WOR "about six weeks before the assassination" is intriguing on a number of different levels and is new to me. That would have been Oct 11, so it would not seem possible that Oswald could have called him from Louisiana around that date. So was someone impersonating Oswald? Also, it's interesting that the call was "paid" and that "Oswald" volunteered to travel to New York (perhaps on his own dime) to do a radio interview.

Steve Thomas Does Dallas MN.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dw.../DN-jfkfight_01

dflick@dallasnews.com

It appears that what happened in Dallas will stay in Dallas.

Dallas County District Attorney Craig Watkins Jr. said Friday that, while he will not make a final decision until next week, he probably will donate long-hidden documents regarding the assassination of President John F. Kennedy to The Sixth Floor Museum at Dealey Plaza.

"I feel an obligation," he said. "This is where I live, this is where it happened, and I think it would be good for tourism and good for the local economy to keep the documents at The Sixth Floor Museum."

The 15 boxes of materials were stashed and then kept secret by Mr. Watkins' predecessors for four decades before being revealed by Mr. Watkins two weeks ago.

In a Feb. 18 news conference announcing the collection's existence, Mr. Watkins said he intended to donate it to a museum, and he left open the possibility that it might go somewhere outside Dallas.

The stakes were raised recently when a federal judge urged Mr. Watkins to donate the thousands of pages of JFK-related materials to the National Archive's Kennedy Assassination Collection in College Park, Md.

U.S. District Judge John R. Tunheim of Minneapolis was speaking as a private citizen, but one with some standing. He served during the 1990s as chairman of the U.S. Assassination Records Review Board, which was established by Congress to collect all previously undisclosed records related to the assassination and assess their value.

The National Archives' JFK collection "is a treasure trove of information, preserved under ideal conditions and accessible to the public," Judge Tunheim wrote in a Feb. 22 letter to Mr. Watkins.

He also argued against giving the documents to The Sixth Floor Museum. "I have always been concerned that it may not be a proper archival facility, particularly for documents, and may not continue into perpetuity," the judge wrote.

"What will happen to the records at the Sixth Floor Museum in the long term, I do not know."

Sixth Floor's defense

Sixth Floor officials, who have made no secret of their desire to obtain the files, expressed delight Friday at Mr. Watkins' words, but they were cautious until a final decision is announced.

"We would be very pleased if they came to The Sixth Floor," said Nicola Longford, the museum's executive director.

She also said worries about the museum's ability to care for the documents are misplaced.

"I am surprised by Judge Tunheim's concern about the long-term viability of The Sixth Floor Museum at Dealey Plaza," Ms. Longford said in an e-mailed statement.

"Visitor attendance has remained steady with average annual attendance of over 325,000. The museum remains one of the most heavily visited historic sites in Texas, outside the Alamo."

The National Archives' materials dwarf The Sixth Floor's collection. National Archives officials say they have 5 million pages of documents regarding the JFK assassination. Officials at the Dallas museum say they have about 20,000 documents, though no estimate on the number of pages.

But Ms. Longford defended the quality of her museum.

"We have storage facilities that are equal to any in the country," she said.

Judge Tunheim said Friday he was disappointed by Mr. Watkins' remarks.

He said he still believes that giving the documents to the National Archives would make them more accessible to researchers, but "I understand the hometown aspect of all this."

It was a card that Sixth Floor officials were not shy about playing.

"The documents are from Dallas. They're from the Dallas County DA's office. They are best kept in Dallas," Ms. Longford said.

Mr. Watkins said Friday that his office, in any case, may have no legal choice in the matter.

He said he was researching a 1994 Commissioners Court order that instructed all county offices to turn over materials related to Jack Ruby, Lee Harvey Oswald and President Kennedy to the Dallas County Historical Foundation – which does business under the name of The Sixth Floor Museum.

Even if there is no such requirement, Mr. Watkins said, "I would probably give them to The Sixth Floor anyway."

National Archives officials said they had been discussing whether they would be interested in the Dallas County DA files.

"We want to look at what's in there before we could make a decision on whether we would accept it," said Steven Tilley, who oversees written documents at the National Archives' College Park facility.

At first glance ...

The ultimate importance of the documents is unclear.

Mr. Watkins' initial announcement made international news and was expected to trigger a frenzy among assassination history buffs.

But that frenzy has yet to happen.

After The Dallas Morning News obtained and posted the bulk of the DA files online, most comments on the newspaper's Web site and on sites devoted to the assassination expressed confusion over the meaning of the documents or frustration that they seemed random and without context.

Among history enthusiasts searching through the documents has been Steve Thomas, a librarian in Newburgh, Ind., who describes himself as an amateur assassination researcher. Over the last week, he has posted summaries of the files on a JFK assassination discussion group on www.educationforum .ipbhost.com – a site for teachers and educators.

After going through about half the files, Mr. Thomas said, he is not sure what to make of them.

"If you're looking for a historical record of the Jack Ruby trial, it puts it into the context from [former Dallas County DA] Henry Wade's perspective," he said.

But the documents are unlikely to contain any blockbusters. "If you're looking for a smoking gun," Mr. Thomas said, "you're not going to find it."

Edited by William Kelly

Dallas County District Attorney Craig Watkins Jr. said Friday that, while he will not make a final decision until next week, he probably will donate long-hidden documents regarding the assassination of President John F. Kennedy to The Sixth Floor Museum at Dealey Plaza.

"... I think it would be good for tourism and good for the local economy to keep the documents at The Sixth Floor Museum."

says it all....

Neither the Sixth Floor Museum nor the National Archives deserve the documents [iMO], but if I had to hold my nose and choose, NARA wins hands-down for many reasons. We must make sure they don't go to a private musuem dedicated to the WC point of view! I can think of better choices, but doubt the DA or County would go for them. We need to start a webpage with letters goint to the D.A. NOW!....

Peter, you've been ranting for years about the GOVERNMENT killing JFK and the GOVERNMENT covering it up and on and on. Now you want the Dallas DA files to go to the government, rather than the private, non-profit Sixth Floor. Does this really make sense to you?