The Education Forum

Behind the Scenes: Eyewitness to Murder

By Jim Polk

CNN

March 13, 2008

Editor's note: In our Behind the Scenes series, CNN correspondents share their experiences in covering news and analyze the stories behind the events. Here, senior producer Jim Polk talks about the upcoming documentary Eyewitness to Murder: The King Assassination.

MEMPHIS, Tennessee (CNN) -- The Rev. Billy Kyles, the only person standing on the second-floor balcony of the Lorraine Motel with Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., had started to walk away when he heard the shot.

"When I turned, I could see him lying on the balcony. One of his feet was sticking through the railing, and there was this huge hole in his face," Kyles told CNN correspondent Soledad O'Brien as they stood together in front of Room 306 where the civil rights leader was gunned down 40 years ago this April.

In producing its two-hour documentary, "Eyewitness to Murder: The King Assassination," CNN Presents turned to the people who were there that day and others personally involved in the movement to tell their first-hand stories of a tragedy that still resonates today.

Fireman George Loenneke had asked to take a look through a police surveillance peephole in his fire station across the street and saw King at the moment he was hit.....

Full story: http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/03/13/bts.king....ml?iref=24hours

Eyewitness to Murder: The King Assassination airs April 3 at 9 p.m. ET on CNN.

Kyles is a witness of some degree of controversy. I hesitate to define said controversy, because I have loaned away all my coppies of Act of State. Can anyone here lend a hand?

If it wasn't Kyles, there was another person who shows up on the balcony right after King is shot and is pictured with the dead King. This person is an undercover Army Intelligence agent, and there was an Army Intel Unit that had King under survillance and witnessed the assassination.

COPA, with attorney Dan Alcorn, filed FOIA requests for the Army After Action Reports, and were denied, but after an appeal to the final court before Supreme Court, the Army released a report that was generated by the After Action Reports.

Any discussion or documentary of the King assassination that doesn't mention the Army surveillance and AAR are incomplete and misleading.

Bill Kelly

• 3 weeks later...