The Education Forum

Was the Cuban Consul in M.C. Replaced after LHO's Visit?

In the typewritten "I could not take a chance on reqesting (sic) a new visa unless I used my real name" letter to the Washington D.C. Soviet Embassy on 11/09/63, LHO says, "... the Cuban consulate (sic) was guilty of a gross breach of regulations, I am glad he has since been replaced." ...

A few questions:

1) Do we know the name of the Cuban consul Oswald had to deal with?

2) Was he replaced after LHO's visit(s)?

3) If so, how would LHO have known by 11/09/63 that the consul had indeed been replaced?

Thanks,

--Thomas

Edited by Thomas Graves

In the typewritten "I could not take a chance on reqesting (sic) a new visa unless I used my real name" letter to the Washington D.C. Soviet Embassy on 11/09/63, LHO says, "... the Cuban consulate (sic) was guilty of a gross breach of regulations, I am glad he has since been replaced." ...

A few questions:

Azcue

Yes. On Nov 18 by Alfredo Mirabal Diaz.

3) If so, how would LHO have known by 11/09/63 that the consul had indeed been replaced?

Mirabal was there at the time of the alleged Oswald visit. Consul in training.

Thanks,

--Thomas

A few questions:

Azcue

Thanks,

--Thomas

Thanks Greg,

It's interesting that Mirabal Diaz didn't become Consul until after LHO's letter to the Sov. Embassy in DC. Either O. was very observant while at the Cuban Embassy or Mr Azcue said to him, "I'd like you to meet Mr. Alfredo Mirabal Diaz. He's a Consul-in-training and will be replacing me in a couple of months."

--Thomas

Edited by Thomas Graves

A few questions:

Azcue

Thanks,

--Thomas

Thanks Greg,

It's interesting that Mirabal Diaz didn't become Consul until nine days after LHO's letter to the Sov. Embassy in DC. Either LHO was very observant while at the Cuban Embassy or Mr Azcue said to him, "Mr Oswald, I'd like you to meet Mr. Alfredo Mirabal Diaz. He's a Consul-in-training and will be replacing me in a couple of months."

--Thomas

Thomas, I did not word it very well. He actually became the Consul on Sep 2. Azcue stayed on to train him, leaving him to his own devices on Nov 18.

Azcue handled Oswald (or "Oswald") only because Mirabal did not speak English. I think it's likely this was explained to Oswald.

But speaking of Mirabal, what do you make of this?

http://www.maryferrell.org/mffweb/archive/viewer/showDoc.do

A few questions:

Azcue

Thanks,

--Thomas

Thanks Greg,

It's interesting that Mirabal Diaz didn't become Consul until nine days after LHO's letter to the Sov. Embassy in DC. Either LHO was very observant while at the Cuban Embassy or Mr Azcue said to him, "Mr Oswald, I'd like you to meet Mr. Alfredo Mirabal Diaz. He's a Consul-in-training and will be replacing me in a couple of months."

--Thomas

Thomas, I did not word it very well. He actually became the Consul on Sep 2. Azcue stayed on to train him, leaving him to his own devices on Nov 18.

Azcue handled Oswald (or "Oswald") only because Mirabal did not speak English. I think it's likely this was explained to Oswald.

Greg,

Thanks for the clarification.

(BTW, I tried that link but all I got was an error message...)

--Thomas

A few questions:

Azcue

Thanks,

--Thomas

Thanks Greg,

--Thomas

Greg,

--Thomas

Sorry... try this

http://www.maryferrell.org/mffweb/archive/...amp;relPageId=3

A few questions:

Azcue

Thanks,

--Thomas

Thanks Greg,

--Thomas

Greg,

--Thomas

Sorry... try this

Greg,

Beats the you-know-what out of me. What do you make of it?

--Thomas

Edited by Thomas Graves

• 2 months later...

(posted on this thread a few months ago by Greg Parker)

Bump. Check out the fascinating document that Greg posted via the "link." Any theories?. Thanks. --Thomas

Edited by Thomas Graves

(posted on this thread a few months ago by Greg Parker)

Bump. Check out the fascinating document that Greg posted via the "link." Any theories?. Thanks. --Thomas

Thanks,

The mention of recovery of a suitcase has any number of implications and possibilities.

The overarching impression though of the dialog is that it was scripted by Mel Brooks for a Get Smart episode.

Meet me in the park to partake of the food my wife has prepared. Ya.

• 2 weeks later...

A few questions:

Thanks,

--Thomas

Thomas,

The letter to the Soviet embassy was as phony as Oswald's alleged visits to the Soviet and Cuban embassies in Mexico.

Soviet Ambassador to the United States, Anatoly Dobrynin, sent a telegram to Moscow on November 26, 1963, about the letter.

As you probably know, the letter states, “I had not planned to contact the Soviet Embassy in Mexico, so they were unprepared. Had I been able to reach the Soviet Embassy in Havana as planned, the embassy there would have had time to complete our business . . . . Please inform us of the arrival of our Soviet entrance visas as soon as they come.”

Dobrynin stated in his telegram to Moscow, “This letter is clearly a provocation. It gives the impression we had close ties with Oswald and were using him for some purposes of our own. It was totally unlike any other letters the embassy had previously received from Oswald. Nor had he ever visited our embassy himself. The suspicion that the letter is a forgery is heightened by the fact that it was typed, whereas the other letters the embassy had received from Oswald before were handwritten.”

Oswald had written letters to the Embassy to inform them of his wife’s current address, pursuant to her Soviet-issued visa requirements. He also wrote to the Embassy on July 1, 1963, requesting that they “rush” an “entrance visa” for his “wife” and “make the transportation arrangements” for her to go back to the Soviet Union. And as stated by the Soviet Ambassador, all of Oswald’s letters were handwritten, unlike the typed letter implying Oswald had been to the Soviet Embassy in Mexico and had plans to go to Cuba.

Dobrynin goes on to say, “One gets the definite impression that the letter was concocted by those who, judging from everything, are involved in the President’s assassination. The competent U.S. authorities are undoubtedly aware of this letter, since the embassy’s correspondence is under constant surveillance.”

As for Oswald’s desire that the Soviet Embassy “rush” an “entrance visa” for his “wife” and “make the transportation arrangements” for her to return to the Soviet Union, FBI agent James Hosty wrote up a report on Oswald on September 10, 1963, stating that, according to the apartment manager where Oswald had been living from November 1962 to March 3, 1963, “They had considerable difficulty with Mr. Oswald who apparently drank to excess and beat his wife on numerous occasions. They had numerous complaints from the other tenants due to Oswald’s drinking and beating his wife.”

On February 17, 1963, two weeks before the Oswalds moved out of the apartment, Oswald’s wife Marina wrote to the Soviet Embassy stating, “I beg your assistance to help me return to the Homeland in the USSR . . . . I am requesting you to extend to me a possible material aid for the trip . . . . My husband remains here, since he is an American by nationality. I beg you once more not to refuse my request.”

One month later, on March 17, 1963, Marina made an official “Declaration” to the Soviet Ambassador, stating, “I am applying for a visa for entry into the USSR and beg you not to deny my request. My husband remains in the U.S.A.”

The Soviet Embassy replied to Marina on April 18, 1963, stating she would have to “come to Washington in order to visit the Consulate Section of our Embassy,” and if it was “difficult” for her to do that, she would have to write a letter stating why she requested “this permission for entering the USSR for permanent residence.”

The Soviet Embassy sent another letter to Marina on June 4, 1963, telling her once again, “If it is difficult for you to visit us we request you to advise us by letter concerning reasons which made you request this permission for entering the USSR for permanent residence.”

An undated letter from Marina to the Embassy states that her “long silence” on getting back to them was due to “certain family problems” that “stood in the way.” She also says that her “main reason” for wanting to return to the Soviet Union was “homesickness” and that she was expecting her second child in October. And she states, “My husband is often unemployed . . . . We have no money to enable me to come to the Embassy.”

The Soviet Embassy wrote to Marina on August 5, 1963, and told her that her “request for entering the Soviet Union for permanent residence has been forwarded to Moscow for processing. As soon as we receive the answer we will at once advise you.”

CIA document titled “Excerpts From Unpublished Writings of Lee Harvey Oswald” quotes Oswald as having written, “When I first went to Russia in the winter of 1959 my funds were very limited, so after a certain time, after the Russians had assured themselves that I was really the naive American who believed in Communism, they arranged for me to receive a certain amount of money every month.”

A CIA memo from March 1964 that makes reference to Oswald’s unpublished writings states, “In his writings, Oswald is highly critical of Soviet rigged elections, the massing of crowds for staged demonstrations, travel restrictions, regimentation, and the lack of freedom of press, speech, and religion.”

An FBI report of January 13, 1964, states that in July 1963, at the request of his cousin, Oswald spoke to a group of seminary students in Mobile, Alabama, concerning his “knowledge” of Russia and his “experiences” in Russia. According to the FBI report, Oswald told the students that he “had been disillusioned with life in the Soviet Union and felt that communism was too oppressive to the people there.”

The idea that Oswald was in Mexico City in September 1963 and desperately trying to get a visa to return to the Soviet Union was completely manufactured to create the fear that Castro and Khrushchev were involved in assassinating President Kennedy. Besides that, Oswald was unemployed at the time and dirt poor and thus had no way of paying for a trip to the Soviet Union.