The Education Forum

Vehicle Speed v. Zapruder Film

The 6th Floor Museum did not allow Roland Zavada to use the Zapruder B&H414 camera for the test film he shot for his report... So, Zavada acquired 4 of them (most with serial numbers close to old Abe's camera) for the DP test. David Lifton related a fascinating story regarding the first attempt Zavada's group undertook re Dealey Plaza film test shoot. Talk about klutzes....

It seems that I recall that Zavada's request came too late and it wasn't that he couldn't use Zapruder's camera for testing, but rather that clearance to use the original couldn't be obtained by the date that it was sought. It might be worth contacting the Museum to see if there is more to the story than what you have implied, David ... after all, one wouldn't want to mislead the readers - would one.

Bill Miller

It seems that I recall that Zavada's request came too late and it wasn't that he couldn't use Zapruder's camera for testing, but rather that clearance to use the original couldn't be obtained by the date that it was sought. It might be worth contacting the Museum to see if there is more to the story than what you have implied, David ... after all, one wouldn't want to mislead the readers - would one.

Bill Miller

I got to wondering just how hard would it be for someone to seek information needed to better understand what actually occurred pertaining to Zavada using the Zapruder camera for testing. So I made a simple request to Gary Mack to remind me again what he had told me so long ago. The following is what Gary had to say. Why someone like David Healy could not make such a simple request is beyond me, but regardless of his short comings ... this is what I was told.

Reply from Gary Mack:

Hi Bill,

The Sixth Floor Museum had nothing to do with Roland Zavada's inability to use the Zapruder camera for testing. The camera has been owned by the National Archives since 1966 and they control access to it. Here is why permission was denied Zavada by both the ARRB and NARA.

To begin, the original camera had been on exhibit at the Museum since 1995; it was hand delivered by a NARA conservator who supervised its installation in a secure case in the Museum's main exhibit along with other original cameras used in Dealey Plaza. According to Zavada in a March 28, 2000 email to NARA, he requested access to the camera late in the ARRB's lifetime (1998) but his request was declined by the ARRB due to budget problems.

Zavada's March 28, 2000 email also mentioned he would be in Dallas two days later and would like to conduct some tests with the Zapruder camera. Zavada acknowledged the short advance notice adding that if there weren't enough time to approve his request, he anticipated a return visit to Dallas later in the Spring.

NARA replied to Zavada on March 29 saying the Museum was not authorized to open the exhibit case without a NARA representative being present and that a NARA person needed to be present during any camera tests. Therefore, due solely to the timing of Zavada's request, access was denied because NARA arrangements could not be made in time.

Zavada did not make another request and the camera was returned to NARA in April 2001.

I am not aware of any interest on the Museum's part to deny access to that camera. In fact, I specifically recommended to the Museum's director that we should provide any assistance the ARRB, NARA or Zavada might need.

Gary Mack

As much as it would appear that certain entities would like to, as ususal, divert the subject matter,

it remains Vehicle Speed v. Zapruder Film.

http://www.assassinationresearch.com/zfilm/z025.jpg

And, since intervals of "10" are always nice to work with.

http://www.assassinationresearch.com/zfilm/z172.jpg

http://www.assassinationresearch.com/zfilm/z182.jpg

Distance travelled down Elm St.--------Approximately 14 feet. =

1.4 feet per frame X 18.3 = 25.62 feet per second X 60 = 1,537.2 feet per minute X

60 = 9,223.2 feet per hour/5280 = 17.468 mph.

Anyone of the opinion that the Presidential Limo was travelling at a speed of approximately 17.5 mph shortly after

having made the turn onto Elm St.?

As much as it would appear that certain entities would like to, as ususal, divert the subject matter,

Actually Tom ... it cannot just be limited to the Zapruder film because it was shown on this forum that the limo speed was consistent in all the assassination films taken during the shooting.

Bill Miller

Actually Tom ... it cannot just be limited to the Zapruder film because it was shown on this forum that the limo speed was consistent in all the assassination films taken during the shooting.

Bill Miller

Well then, either I slept through that or else you merely made it up.

A. There is absolutely nothing which is even "consistent" in the Zapruder film/vehicle speed comparison.

B. That I am aware, there has never been any other accurate comparison of vehicle speed v. flim, other than extremely limited work with the Nix film, and for which absolutely no actual survey work has ever been done.

http://history-matters.com/archive/jfk/wc/...Vol17_0452a.htm

In "harmony" with the Vanishing Turn topic, this happens to be item/line "A", which is the sign post with the "No Parking" sign on it.

Which happened to be exactly 2-feet in from the street curb and exactly 5.8 feet back from a line projected along the wall of the building directly out into Houston St. "F"

With information such as this, one could easily compute a "vehicle speed" were one to actually have the vehicle coming down Houston St. and into and through the radius turn.

Especially if one could determine the "radius distance" travelled by the Presidential Limo.

In "harmony" with the Vanishing Turn topic, this happens to be item/line "A", which is the sign post with the "No Parking" sign on it.

Which happened to be exactly 2-feet in from the street curb and exactly 5.8 feet back from a line projected along the wall of the building directly out into Houston St. "F"

With information such as this, one could easily compute a "vehicle speed" were one to actually have the vehicle coming down Houston St. and into and through the radius turn.

Especially if one could determine the "radius distance" travelled by the Presidential Limo.

perhaps DMyers could help.....

perhaps DMyers could help.....

Nope!

Already more than sufficient erroneous information floating around.

And, rest assured that "one" can determine all that is necessary, provided that they have Mr. West Survey notes as well as the accompanying survey plats.

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=12898

Perhaps Chris will openly share what information is now in his possession in regrds to the actual radius distance, etc;.

After all, this is purportedly the "Education Forum".