The Education Forum

List of Officers Responding to Tippit Shooting

Here is the list of officers responding to the Oak Cliff "Signal 19, officer" – 37 in all – subject to any additions or corrections:

105 – J.M. Poe and L.E. Jez

93 – H.M. Ashcraft

19 – Sgt. C.B. Owens

79 – B.N. Anglin

211 – Ray Hawkins (and) Baggett

95 – M.N. McDonald and T.R. Gregory

85 – R.W. Walker

221 – H.W. Summers

91 – W.D. Mentzel

223 – C.T. Walker

75 – E.G. Sebastian

??? – T.A. Hutson

76 – H.H. Horn

111 – J.G. Pollard

77 – W.E. Smith

22 – L.L. Hill

550 – Capt. W.R. Westbrook and Sgt. R.D. Stringer (with unknown officer)

550/2 – Sgt. G.L. Hill

15 – Capt. C.E. Talbert

29 – J.N. Williams

66 – F.S. Williams

242 – B.E. Thornhill

Officers Walker (85) and Mentzel (91) were already in Oak Cliff at the time of the shooting of Officer Tippit. Officer J.N. Williams (29), a canine corps officer, arrived in Oak Cliff following the call to the theater.

Officer F.S. Williams first appeared on the scene (via radio) just before the 1:34, and Officer B.E. Thornhill (242) radioed being at "R.L. Thornton and Marsalis" at approximately 1:40.

Patrolman H.H. Horn (76) radioed "en route over there" shortly after 1:27, and Sergeant R.D. Shipley (16), Area Commander for the Northeast Substation, radioed that he was "out on East Jefferson" at about 1:28, but both later reported[ii] that they had been dispatched to the TSBD and remained there the rest of the afternoon."

Criminal Investigation Division Detective B.K. Carroll, Vice Squad Officer K.E. Lyons, and Detective Paul Bentley, the senior polygraph operator for the department, were also present during the search and arrest at the Texas Theater. Detective Bentley had ridden down to 10th and Patton with crime scene investigators W.A. Barnes and Captain G.M. Doughty.

Lieutenant E.L. Cunningham together with Detectives E.E. Taylor, J.B. Toney and M.A. Buhk, were dispatched by Captain O.A. Jones at the Trade Mart to proceed to the Elm and Houston scene, but diverted themselves to Oak Cliff.[iii] Detective Toney filed a similar report, but indicated that they had been "cruising the Oak Cliff area" at the time.[iv] This "cruising" is explained by both Lt. Cunningham and Detective Buhk, who noted that they had arrived in Oak Cliff in time to participate in the surrounding of the library.[v]

(Interestingly, Lieutenant Cunningham reported that, while the four men had been en route from the Trade Mart to Elm and Houston, they received a radio call for "all available units to report" to the Oak Cliff shooting scene. No such broadcast was made. Detective Buhk, on the other hand, noted that they "heard the report of an officer being shot," and that Lt. Cunningham had "decided we could do more good by going to that location immediately rather than by way of the scene of the President's shooting" [emphasis added], an estimation held by several officers, as has been shown. Buhk implies that they expected that they would be dispatched to Oak Cliff after arriving at Elm and Houston to attend to the officer's shooting instead of the President's.)

Unit 305, manned by any or all of Detectives Landle, Beck and/or Boyce from the Criminal Investigation Division was also heard on the radio only a short while after it was announced that a "suspect on the shooting the police officer is apprehended and en route to the station," telling dispatch to "tell that squad to stand by there for me with that man."

In addition to the 32 officers named above, Officers B.L. Jones and M.D. Hall (district 102), and G.W. Hammer (districts 26 and 27) stated in separate reports that they had responded to the Oak Cliff "Signal 19," as did Officer J.M. Lewis (districts 35 and 36). Finally, Detective J.R. Leavelle is reported to have been at the scene,[vi] making a total of 37 officers known to be in Oak Cliff in response to the shooting of Officer Tippit.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In an unusual turn of events, Officers J.N. Williams and S.E. Norman of the canine corps were requested by Captain Talbert to report to Elm and Houston because, Talbert radioed following his request at about 1:00, the Depository building would "be a hard one to search out thoroughly without those dogs." Williams and Norman were dispatched to retrieve their dogs from home at about 1:16, and Williams was assigned at about 1:35 by dispatch to "Marsalis and Jefferson," the site of the library. When Norman called in at 1:48 asking where to go, Captain Talbert said that they were not needed at the Oak Cliff murder scene, but told dispatch to "send him to the Texas Theater, if they don't need him down at the book bindery." Dispatch at first assigned him to also go to Oak Cliff, but upon hearing that Williams was just two blocks from the theater, changed Norman's assignment to Elm and Houston.

[ii] Commission Document 1108, pages 151 and 153

[iii] Detective Taylor related in his report (CE 2003, page 97, at WCH 24/243) noted that he, Lt. Cunningham, and J.B. Tony remained at the theater following the arrest "and took the names and addresses of the occupants of the theater." No such list was ever entered into evidence, despite several orders at the time, including by Captain Westbrook, to produce it.

[iv] Ibid. at WCH 24/244

[v] Ibid. at WCH 24/236 (Cunningham) and 24/234 (Buhk)

[vi] Ibid. at WCH 24/254

Edited by Duke Lane

• 10 years later...
On 7/25/2008 at 7:27 AM, Duke Lane said:
105 – J.M. Poe and L.E. Jez
93 – H.M. Ashcraft
19 – Sgt. C.B. Owens
79 – B.N. Anglin
211 – Ray Hawkins (and) Baggett
95 – M.N. McDonald and T.R. Gregory
85 – R.W. Walker
221 – H.W. Summers
91 – W.D. Mentzel
223 – C.T. Walker
75 – E.G. Sebastian
??? – T.A. Hutson
76 – H.H. Horn
111 – J.G. Pollard
77 – W.E. Smith
22 – L.L. Hill
550 – Capt. W.R. Westbrook and Sgt. R.D. Stringer (with unknown officer)
550/2 – Sgt. G.L. Hill
15 – Capt. C.E. Talbert
29 – J.N. Williams
66 – F.S. Williams
242 – B.E. Thornhill

It's worth resurrecting this thread....  in light of John's work focusing on WESTBROOK and CROY and their strange involvement with the Tippit murder and Oswald.

It has been theorized that when Mrs. Holan sees 2 men in a 2nd police car perpendicular to Tippit's car in the alley as Tippit is being shot... that this was WESTBROOK and CROY observing the shooting of Tippit...

No other corroboration is offered for CROY being at the scene so early... BOWLEY - who tells us the time of 1:10pm when all this happens... says the police did not show up until after the ambulance left...

"When the ambulance left, I took the gun and put it inside the squad car. A man took the pistol out and said, "Let's catch him." He opened the cylinder, and I saw that no rounds in it had been fired. This man then took the pistol with him and got into a cab and drove off. The police arrived and I talked to a police sergeant at the scene"    

CROY was a DPD reservist since 1959 (the year WESTBROOK Curry, Lumpkin and Sawyer graduate from FBI school)...was not scheduled to work the 22nd and claims to have been the first policeman on the Tippit scene....

Except as he tells it - he does a terrible job of securing the crime scene for investigation...  or even let it be known he was there...

From what I have seen, not a single soul including WESTBROOK corroborates his story... so why is he making thins up?

Mr. GRIFFIN. Were you at the scene when Tippit was there? 
Mr. CROY. Yes. 

Mr. GRIFFIN. Unassigned? 
Mr. CROY. Yes. 
Mr. GRIFFIN. I take it you are nodding your head? 
Mr. CROY. Yes. 
Mr. GRIFFIN. What time were you at the scene where Tippit was killed 
Mr. CROY. I watched them load him in the ambulance. 

Mr. GRIFFIN. Were other officers on the scene? 
Mr. CROY. None that I saw. 
Mr. GRIFFIN. What did you do when you got there? 
Mr. CROY. Got me a witness. 
Mr. GRIFFIN. Who did you get a hold of? 
Mr. CROY. It was a woman standing across the street from me. I don't recall her name. She gave me her name at that time. 
Mr. GRIFFIN. What did she tell you? 
Mr. CROY. She told me that she saw Tippit get out of the car, and I don't recall, I think she said he stepped back a couple of foot and shot him and then ran. She was pretty hysterical at that particular time (Markham?). 

Mr. CROY. Yes; and no. I talked to her, and then they talked to her, and then I talked to her, and just after I located a witness, the squad did get there. 
Mr. GRIFFIN. This conversation all took place near the scene of the Tippit killing? 
Mr. CROY. Leaning up against his car. 

70932243_CroyKenneth.jpg.d265ac6e0d206c5c2fa540eb62970b52.jpg