The Education Forum

Recession hits West Ham?

Guest Gary Loughran

Guest Gary Loughran

I've been alarmed at some reports recently which suggest West Ham are about to offload a handful of players. This comes on the back of a media campaign against Curbishley which has all the hallmarks of a hatchet job being fed by someone at the club.

Landsbanki the bank run by the West Ham owner has been hit hard by the euphemistically entitled 'credit crunch'. There is effectively no money at West Ham currently and the debt incurred in the takeover is looking like it may need serviced by the sale of players - as well as reducing wage bills.

To date we have seen Pantsil, Zamora and Ferdinand leave for a total of £14.3 million and Behrami come in at £5 million (all without manger approval - perhaps even real knowledge). We have offloaded Ljunberg to the tune of a £3 million payoff. Solano was released also. I now read that Bellamy is looking likely to sign for Man City - no fee mentioned. I get the feeling this is not the end and that any serious bids will be considered.

I, however, have no sympathy for Curbishley. His signings have been atrocious. Even last year he sold off, for great profit, a lot of Pardew's players - something he cannot do with his own purchases. Last year when Niall Quinn and various uninformed media sources stated that West Ham were big spenders, inflating the market values of players...they were deliberately misstating the fact that West Ham worked very close to break even. I believe our net spend was £3 million - compared to Quinn's £30+ million. It makes you wonder what background is done by journalists today.

The powers-that-be at West Ham have set Curbishley, what should be the reasonably realistic goal of top 7 - something Curbishley has said is an unreasonable expectation - nothing like the stench of ambition to wake you up to what West Ham is all about. Undoubtedly we will hear the 'time for youth' stories emanating to alleviate the fact that young players are going to be unnecessarily blooded to underpin the poor management of the club. This situation is as serious - if less understandable - than the firesale that occurred following relegation when scumbag Terry Brown sold off every asset he could to make West Ham a viable proposition for his partner in crime Kia Joorabchian. Cole, Defoe, Kanoute, Sincair and more were all sent packing, in the greatest football shame story since Bosman effectively ruined the great Ajax team.

I ahve no faith in anyone within the West Ham management structure to resolve this for the good of the club and the fans. Like the players on Sunday it seems that abject surrender is and always has been the name of the game at West Ham. Whatever happened to the great spirit that people talk of in the East End - West Ham more and more seems like a vehicle to make money. I know that is what business is all about and I don't want to see West Ham go the way of Leeds etc. However, football means more to the 36,000 who go to the Boleyn every Saturday or like me just bloody support the damn club.

We deserve better?

I've been alarmed at some reports recently which suggest West Ham are about to offload a handful of players. This comes on the back of a media campaign against Curbishley which has all the hallmarks of a hatchet job being fed by someone at the club.

Landsbanki the bank run by the West Ham owner has been hit hard by the euphemistically entitled 'credit crunch'. There is effectively no money at West Ham currently and the debt incurred in the takeover is looking like it may need serviced by the sale of players - as well as reducing wage bills.

To date we have seen Pantsil, Zamora and Ferdinand leave for a total of £14.3 million and Behrami come in at £5 million (all without manger approval - perhaps even real knowledge). We have offloaded Ljunberg to the tune of a £3 million payoff. Solano was released also. I now read that Bellamy is looking likely to sign for Man City - no fee mentioned. I get the feeling this is not the end and that any serious bids will be considered.

I, however, have no sympathy for Curbishley. His signings have been atrocious. Even last year he sold off, for great profit, a lot of Pardew's players - something he cannot do with his own purchases. Last year when Niall Quinn and various uninformed media sources stated that West Ham were big spenders, inflating the market values of players...they were deliberately misstating the fact that West Ham worked very close to break even. I believe our net spend was £3 million - compared to Quinn's £30+ million. It makes you wonder what background is done by journalists today.

The powers-that-be at West Ham have set Curbishley, what should be the reasonably realistic goal of top 7 - something Curbishley has said is an unreasonable expectation - nothing like the stench of ambition to wake you up to what West Ham is all about. Undoubtedly we will hear the 'time for youth' stories emanating to alleviate the fact that young players are going to be unnecessarily blooded to underpin the poor management of the club. This situation is as serious - if less understandable - than the firesale that occurred following relegation when scumbag Terry Brown sold off every asset he could to make West Ham a viable proposition for his partner in crime Kia Joorabchian. Cole, Defoe, Kanoute, Sincair and more were all sent packing, in the greatest football shame story since Bosman effectively ruined the great Ajax team.

I ahve no faith in anyone within the West Ham management structure to resolve this for the good of the club and the fans. Like the players on Sunday it seems that abject surrender is and always has been the name of the game at West Ham. Whatever happened to the great spirit that people talk of in the East End - West Ham more and more seems like a vehicle to make money. I know that is what business is all about and I don't want to see West Ham go the way of Leeds etc. However, football means more to the 36,000 who go to the Boleyn every Saturday or like me just bloody support the damn club.

We deserve better?

It will be a scandal if Bellamy and Ashton are sold at this point of the season. The people who have bought their season-tickets should sue to get their money back.

I thought Curbishley looked like the fight had been taken out of him (that is of course the way the team played). If it does happen I hope he comes out against the board and does not take it lying down. However, I don't expect him to resign. His only chance is to be sacked for attacking the board.

Guest Gary Loughran

West Ham have officially stated Bellamy is not for sale.

They have also said that they have invested in player(s) this year. Whilst I hate to nitpick - our investment in the plural of player is a bit deceiving. Yes Behrami is one player. However the Czech keeper is a direct replacement for Richard Wright - a keeper I would much rather have preferred to stay and can hardly be termed investment as it is a year loan.

The only other player, to my knowledge was a project player - a young defender from Iceland at little or no cost - who like any young project is more likely to fail than succeed.

They have only invested in one first team player to date.

Guest Gary Loughran
West Ham have officially stated Bellamy is not for sale.

Scott Duxbury also says that the club is unwilling to sell any player in the first-team squad. I suppose that means they will not sell Ashton.

Which is good news, should he stay fit.

Guest Gary Loughran
Undoubtedly we will hear the 'time for youth' stories emanating to alleviate the fact that young players are going to be unnecessarily blooded to underpin the poor management of the club.

Nothing, if not predictable. I note Curbishley seems to be playing ball now and justifying the sale in a way that suggests he was fully involved.

Lastuvka was a necessary, though much cheaper 'investment' after they let Richard Wright go.

The two statements I have highlighted can be seen as incongruous - though given Duxbury's talk about investing yesterday...

They wouldn't now sign a player to a new contract and declare it as 'like signing a new player' to disguise the lack of investment.

FROM WHUFC.COM

"Alan Curbishley has claimed that his squad will not miss the newly-departed Anton Ferdinand due to his squad's strength in depth.

Talking on whufc.com this lunchtime, Curbishley revealed that he now expected youngster James Tomkins - who had made just six first team appearances - to step up to the plate, whilst maintaining that Ferdinand's sale was the right decision for West Ham United.

"I wish Anton well in the future," he said. "There has been a lot of speculation over the transfer but the bottom line is that we have a lot of defenders at the club and the circumstances around the deal mean it was the right decision.

"As I have said previously, I am confident we have a strong enough squad and this will especially encourage James Tomkins to show me what he is capable of doing. I am also looking to bring in one or two players to go with Jan Lastuvka and Valon Behrami who we have signed this summer."

Curbishley, who refuted reports that Ferdinand would be leaving United only last Friday reiterated that reports linking Craig Bellamy with the exit door were 'nonsense'.

Meanwhile Scott Duxbury thanked Ferdinand for his 'loyal service', before suggesting that Ferdinand's departure would aid the development of future stars through the club's Academy.

"We know that our fans have a particular affinity with players that have come through the academy system but we think this should help us to promote even more young talent through the ranks," he said.

"This deal was also the right one for the club, given we could not agree a new contract and that there were just two years left to run on the existing one

Edited by Gary Loughran

Note, they again, add the keeper as a player brought in. The truth is Wright, a very able understudy, was replaced with a cheaper, somewhat unknown, option. I, of course hope he can play!!!

Laštůvka was a disaster when he played for Fulham on loan in 1906-07. This is what Wikipedia says about him:

"He joined Fulham on August 31, 2006, just prior to the close of the transfer window. He made his Fulham league debut on 2 December 2006 in a 2-0 loss against Blackburn Rovers. On 1 January 2007 he came on as a second half substitute for the injured Antti Niemi against Watford, where throughout the game the Fulham fans cheered his every kick or save, as they feared he would make a mistake and cost them the game. The game ended 0-0. He left Fulham after manager Lawrie Sanchez decided not to pay the asking fee Shakhtar wanted for Laštůvka."

I agree about having a lot of centre-halves. The problem is that only two of them are fit at the moment: Upson and Davenport.

Guest Gary Loughran
I am also looking to bring in one or two players to go with Jan Lastuvka and Valon Behrami who we have signed this summer."

So sayeth Curbs - though Ian "The Moose" Abrahams - TalkSport's West Ham supporting reporter - has just reported live from Upton Park (10,000 att.) that he has news that Scott Parker and George McCartney have attracted interest from other clubs. His 'source' has said it's 50/50 that at least one of them goes. If so, does this mean that the player is either "Not 100% committed to West Ham" or "not essential to the teams plans for the season" as stated by Duxbury only yesterday as the only reasons anyone further will leave Upton Park this window.

I hope both stay. However, if McCartney goes, it would take a great explanation from the board as to why they turned down Rangers and Sunderlands £5 million bids a few weeks ago.

Edited by Gary Loughran

I am also looking to bring in one or two players to go with Jan Lastuvka and Valon Behrami who we have signed this summer."

So sayeth Curbs - though Ian "The Moose" Abrahams - TalkSport's West Ham supporting reporter - has just reported live from Upton Park (10,000 att.) that he has news that Scott Parker and George McCartney have attracted interest from other clubs. His 'source' has said it's 50/50 that at least one of them goes. If so, does this mean that the player is either "Not 100% committed to West Ham" or "not essential to the teams plans for the season" as stated by Duxbury only yesterday as the only reasons anyone further will leave Upton Park this window.

I hope both stay. However, if McCartney goes, it would take a great explanation from the board as to why they turned down Rangers and Sunderlands £5 million bids a few weeks ago.

Valon Behrami has just been carried off on a stretcher so maybe that will stop any deal going through. West Ham are 1-0 down to Mansfield at the moment in the Carling Cup.

Guest Gary Loughran
Valon Behrami has just been carried off on a stretcher so maybe that will stop any deal going through. West Ham are 1-0 down to Macclesfield at the moment in the Carling Cup.

Oh Dear!!!!!

Just caught the tail end of that on Sky and was coming up to see who Hines was on for.

I think Curbs is gone no matter what happens now. Having thought about it, I think the Icelandic owner will 'cash in' on whomever he can. Then let Curb's go and appoint a new man. Slaven Bilic has been mentioned, but I'd have thought he would want some guarantees on spending etc,

Edited by Gary Loughran

Guest Gary Loughran
Valon Behrami has just been carried off on a stretcher so maybe that will stop any deal going through. West Ham are 1-0 down to Macclesfield at the moment in the Carling Cup.

Oh Dear!!!!!

Just caught the tail end of that on Sky and was coming up to see who Hines was on for.

I think Curbs is gone no matter what happens now. Having thought about it, I think the Icelandic owner will 'cash in' on whomever he can. Then let Curb's go and appoint a new man. Slaven Bilic has been mentioned, but I'd have thought he would want some guarantees on spending etc,

Even more bad news for West Ham fans, the Daily Mail is reporting via a Staff reporter - Alarmingly, none of the 5 players mentioned is McCartney/Parker as reported earlier.

Dearie me, either everyone is going, or potentially going or reporters are taking flyers everywhere - though I do believe Ian Abrahams report.

An Aside for light relief --> Bowyer has just scored in what looks like an onslaught (if Sporting Life's text based Updates are anything to go by)

"Anton Ferdinand has highlighted the strained relationship between Alan Curbishley and the West Ham board by revealing that the club withdrew the offer of a new contract once Sunderland made an £8m bid for him.

After finally signing a four-year deal yesterday worth around £2.5m-a-year, Ferdinand disputed claims that West Ham did not want him to go.

'I'd been offered a new deal by West Ham but when Sunderland came in with a bid that offer was withdrawn,' he said.

Curbishley did not want Ferdinand to leave and now faces an uphill fight to hold onto Craig Bellamy, Lucas Neill, Carlton Cole, Matthew Etherington and Luis Boa Morte.

The board insist they are not for sale but are believed to be actively looking for replacements."

"Anton Ferdinand has highlighted the strained relationship between Alan Curbishley and the West Ham board by revealing that the club withdrew the offer of a new contract once Sunderland made an £8m bid for him.

After finally signing a four-year deal yesterday worth around £2.5m-a-year, Ferdinand disputed claims that West Ham did not want him to go.

'I'd been offered a new deal by West Ham but when Sunderland came in with a bid that offer was withdrawn,' he said.

Curbishley did not want Ferdinand to leave and now faces an uphill fight to hold onto Craig Bellamy, Lucas Neill, Carlton Cole, Matthew Etherington and Luis Boa Morte.

The board insist they are not for sale but are believed to be actively looking for replacements."

Ferdinand worth the same amount as Deco? West Ham had to take the £8m on offer. I hope they do sell Neill, Etherington and Boa Morte, if they get anyone silly enough to put in a bid. However, I would be against the selling of Bellamy and Cole.

The crowd chanted last night "You're going to get sacked in the morning." I doubt it. I expect he will stay to the next transfter window. The new man will want to bring in his own men.

Guest Gary Loughran
The crowd chanted last night "You're going to get sacked in the morning." I doubt it. I expect he will stay to the next transfter window. The new man will want to bring in his own men.

That would depend on results.

The point I'm making is with what money will the new man bring new men in. I suspect any new man will be told to sell before he buys, irrespective of what West Ham can cash in on prior to Sept 1st. The new man, should one arrive, is having his hands tied - now.

I haven't read anything on Behrami's injury. Hopefully he is OK? However that essentially leaves us with no new signings and we already look weaker than last season. I have confirmed that Lastuvka (thankfully from your scouting report) is only a 1 year loan, hardly a new signing no matter what way you spin it, especially as he, hopefully, not make the 1st team.

On a far more serious note - I am beginning to think our owner and his bank are in serious difficulties - so much so, I think it possible West Ham could be under threat. I fully understand the need to balance books, but it seems to me the ONLY cash injection (which was the transfer window Curbishley arrived in) is being retrieved by the management. West Ham are running to a standstill and are already a lesser squad than last year.

I note also he left Parker on the bench all night - a signal perhaps???

That would depend on results.

The point I'm making is with what money will the new man bring new men in. I suspect any new man will be told to sell before he buys, irrespective of what West Ham can cash in on prior to Sept 1st. The new man, should one arrive, is having his hands tied - now.

Curbishley actually said after the match that he thought he would be sacked if West Ham lost against Macclesfield.

I agree your statement makes financial sense but what kind of manager will they get in on these terms? Only a "yes man" like Roeder would agree to such a deal. The one thing we do not need is another Roeder, the worst manager in our history.