The Education Forum

How stupid are we?

Guest Gary Loughran

Guest Gary Loughran

Snippet from BBC news -

"The chancellor is standing by his assertion that the UK is facing its worst economic crisis in 60 years.

Alistair Darling told the Guardian newspaper that the downturn would be more "profound and long-lasting" than most people had feared.

Shadow chancellor George Osborne said Mr Darling had "let the cat out of the bag" about the state of the economy. "

I am no economic expert, but I had eyes, ears and a brain, last time I checked, although the latter is rapidly depleting. Meaning I, and everyone I know, was aware of being in a recession, months ago.

Even when the Bank of England, the chancellor and the business folk, told lies every month, we still knew. When we paid more for our weekly shop, we knew. When our friends got reduced wages to alleviate the downturn in glazing industry, we knew. When my pay rise was vastly beneath inflation, we knew. Every time we filled the car up, we knew. When we paid more for electricity, gas and heating we knew. When the nights out became nights in, we knew. When we bought Northern Rock with no prospect of dividends and even less of getting our money back, we knew. When no-one wanted our mortgage, we knew. When the Abbey didn't fight to retain our mortgage, we knew.

(this list is not exhaustive, nor relevant to some, but these are the base indicators used by the average person, I know - though not used the finance industry - this statement has not been regulated by the FSA)

When did they know??

Is the rest of the UK voting population really so daft as to have missed this news over the last year or are Darling and Osborne demonstrating the disdain with which the man in the street is held by the politico's and their sponsors??

Good post Gary,

For sometime I have been considering moving back to the UK (mainly because I miss my family), however you are just highlighting what has been said to me many times recently from friends.

I think the best thing for me to do is carry on building a life here (in China) and hopefully my family can benefit at a later date from my efforts. We have been talking about buying/building a house here and at first I was reluctant - but every day it is starting to become more appealing.

Steve

Snippet from BBC news -

"The chancellor is standing by his assertion that the UK is facing its worst economic crisis in 60 years.

Alistair Darling told the Guardian newspaper that the downturn would be more "profound and long-lasting" than most people had feared.

Shadow chancellor George Osborne said Mr Darling had "let the cat out of the bag" about the state of the economy. "

I am no economic expert, but I had eyes, ears and a brain, last time I checked, although the latter is rapidly depleting. Meaning I, and everyone I know, was aware of being in a recession, months ago.

Even when the Bank of England, the chancellor and the business folk, told lies every month, we still knew. When we paid more for our weekly shop, we knew. When our friends got reduced wages to alleviate the downturn in glazing industry, we knew. When my pay rise was vastly beneath inflation, we knew. Every time we filled the car up, we knew. When we paid more for electricity, gas and heating we knew. When the nights out became nights in, we knew. When we bought Northern Rock with no prospect of dividends and even less of getting our money back, we knew. When no-one wanted our mortgage, we knew. When the Abbey didn't fight to retain our mortgage, we knew.

(this list is not exhaustive, nor relevant to some, but these are the base indicators used by the average person, I know - though not used the finance industry - this statement has not been regulated by the FSA)

When did they know??

Is the rest of the UK voting population really so daft as to have missed this news over the last year or are Darling and Osborne demonstrating the disdain with which the man in the street is held by the politico's and their sponsors??

Snippet from BBC news -

When did they know??

I listen to the Today programme on Radio 4 every morning. The interviewers do their best to point out the lies of government ministers but they are shameless in promoting their version of the "truth". The really amazing aspect of this interview is that Darling actually tells the truth to such an extent that he clearly has another agenda. The story is that he fell-out with Brown soon after he became prime-minister. He realized the foolishness of the planned removal of the 10p tax band. However, Brown, refused to let him drop it as it would have looked bad for his reputation as a clever chancellor. Darling is now exerting his revenge before he is sacked in September.

Guest Gary Loughran
I listen to the Today programme on Radio 4 every morning. The interviewers do their best to point out the lies of government ministers but they are shameless in promoting their version of the "truth". The really amazing aspect of this interview is that Darling actually tells the truth to such an extent that he clearly has another agenda. The story is that he fell-out with Brown soon after he became prime-minister. He realized the foolishness of the planned removal of the 10p tax band. However, Brown, refused to let him drop it as it would have looked bad for his reputation as a clever chancellor. Darling is now exerting his revenge before he is sacked in September.

Thanks for the follow-ups. It has since been also reported as a charade by Labour. The essence being that this prediction is as low as things will get and any upturn thereafter is as a result of Labour brilliance. Some 'economist' touted this line.

I agree this was a rare truth.

Now to my conspriacy of the Ryder Cup.