The Education Forum

Joe Biden

Christopher Hall

What does everyone think about Joe Biden?

He is the person who would be a heartbeat away from the Presidency in an Obama Administration.

There have been 137 posts and 3649 views on the Sarah Palin thread, but no comments on Biden whatsoever.

As I recall, he was vetted and recommended by Caroline Bouvier Kennedy Schlossberg, Jim Johnson (for a little while, at least), and Eric Holder, but I don't recall seeing much about everyone's views on Biden since Obama picked him.

Was the vetting process adequate, has he helped the ticket, has he hurt it, does he have baggage, does he enhance Obama's chances on picking up certain "purple" states, what foreign policy decisions has he made in the past, ect.?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What does everyone think about Joe Biden?

He is the person who would be a heartbeat away from the Presidency in an Obama Administration.

There have been 137 posts and 3649 views on the Sarah Palin thread, but no comments on Biden whatsoever.

As I recall, he was vetted and recommended by Caroline Bouvier Kennedy Schlossberg, Jim Johnson (for a little while, at least), and Eric Holder, but I don't recall seeing much about everyone's views on Biden since Obama picked him.

Was the vetting process adequate, has he helped the ticket, has he hurt it, does he have baggage, does he enhance Obama's chances on picking up certain "purple" states, what foreign policy decisions has he made in the past, ect.?

fortunately Dem's don't have an unknown (laughing stock) and a xxxx running as VEEP... the only concern about Biden, belongs to *Sweet Sarah Palin*... and she'll (as well as some of our foreign friends) know who Sen. Joe is soon enough!

Edited by David G. Healy

I think Biden was a really dumb choice of running mate. Obama's running as an agent of change and chose one of the most old school pols he could find. Biden is infamous for putting his foot in his mouth and in no way helps Obama win over independents. Obama should have chosen a woman there are several Democratic governors and senators or a candidate froma major swing state. My first reactions when I heard the announcement were 'why'? and "Obama blew it1". Hopefully Obama can win in despite of Biden.

Not that I think he's a bad guy just that he makes a horrible running mate.

Here is a pretty good one by Joe from an interview with Katie Couric:

http://cbs2.com/politics/joe.biden.interview.2.823202.html

Joe thinks that FDR was President when the market crashed in 1929 and that he got out on the television airwaves to explain everything to the public.

I think that Joe was unaware of the facts that Hoover was President and that there was no commercial television in 1929, but it appears that those facts flew over Katie's head as well.

Like I said Biden was a horrible choice. I normally don’t agree with Ann Coulter but she said “Putin choose Biden” or words to that effect. He was picked the week of the Ossetian war and she speculated the Dems wanted someone with strong foreign policy credentials; Biden is chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee.

There have been calls for Biden might get the ax in favor of Hillary rumors floating around that this might happen.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/andy-ostroy/...ent_id=15715774

http://www.bloggernews.net/117854

Christopher,

Thanks for mentioning Biden's incredibly dumb comments about FDR addressing the nation on television in 1929. Again the double standard in the mainstream media is so obvious; just imagine if Sarah Palin ever displayed such stupidity. "Saturday Night Live" would probably devote an entire show to it. Nothing she has ever said or done compares to this. With these remarks, Biden makes Dan Quayle look positively brilliant in comparison. It's doubtful that even Dubya would say anything quite that stupid.

Combined with his inexcusable slipup recently, where he demanded a wheelchair-bound Democratic official "get up and let them see you," these recent remarks from Biden display an unprecedented combination of arrogant cluelessness and startling ignorance about very basic historical facts.

I hope that all those who think Democrats are somehow "better" than Republicans take a good look at Biden (and Obama, for that matter). There's a reason why some of us call them all Republicrats. Just watch them "work together" now to "solve" the economical crisis. These clowns put on a dog and pony show every four years; get the people riled up about abortion, gay marriage, prayer in school, etc., while it's blatantly obvious they agree on all significant issues. I wish there was a true alternative party full of "good guys" to come in and rescue us from the disaster of the Bush years, but those guys aren't modern day Democrats.

I agree with Len (imagine that!)- Biden was a horrible VP choice.

I agree with Len (imagine that!)- Biden was a horrible VP choice.

Joe Biden is a near-perfect choice, because of his solid blue-collar background and his appeal to the constituency Barack has had difficulty winning over, the guy people call SIX-PACK JOE. In addition, no one disputes that he is qualified to be President, yet he will not try to overshadow his fearless leader, the bold Barack

Of course he is no Sarah Palin and we can expect her to trounce Biden in the debate....NOT!!. Let's just compare Biden and Palin on the issue of how rape victims should be treated, since both vice-presidential candidates have a track record on this issue:

When Sarah Palin was mayor of Wasilla, Alaska, the small town began billing sexual-assault victims for the cost of rape kits and forensic exams.
when Senator Joseph Biden, the Democratic vice-presidential nominee, drafted the 1994 Violence Against Women Act, he included provisions to make states ineligible for federal grant money if they charged rape victims for exams and the kits containing the medical supplies needed to conduct them. (Senator John McCain, Ms. Palin’s running mate, voted against Mr. Biden’s initiative,

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/26/opinion/26fri4.html?em

Edited by J. Raymond Carroll

This is an article by E. J. Dionne about Joe Biden's law school plagiarism episode:

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html...75AC0A961948260

To paraphrase Andrew Sullivan, the money quotes are:

''My intent was not to deceive anyone"...."For if it were, I would not have been so blatant.''

At another point, the young Mr. Biden said that ''if I had intended to cheat, would I have been so stupid?''

This, and his borrowing from another person's speech without attribution, led to his decision to withdraw from the 1988 Presidential race.

Edited by Christopher Hall

And his son, Beau, got a job as an Assistant US Attorney, notwithstanding the fact that he flunked the bar exam 3 times:

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2077656/posts

As a lawyer, I have a lot of sympathy for someone who flunks a bar exam.

It can happen to smart people.

Flunking a bar exam 3 times, though, reflects a serious lack of knowledge, ability or both.

But how does someone who does flunk a bar exam 3 times secure a high-paying job as an Assistannt US Attorney?

Let me guess.

And his son, Beau, got a job as an Assistant US Attorney, notwithstanding the fact that he flunked the bar exam 3 times:

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2077656/posts

As a lawyer, I have a lot of sympathy for someone who flunks a bar exam.

It can happen to smart people.

Flunking a bar exam 3 times, though, reflects a serious lack of knowledge, ability or both.

But how does someone who does flunk a bar exam 3 times secure a high-paying job as an Assistannt US Attorney?

Let me guess.

sure you have sympathy... not! :rolleyes: Ya gotta invoke sympathy for your position, Christopher. You're simply taking pot shots at Biden and that's fine, be upfront, admit it! You have company, I'm sure there are more than a few GOP-Palin groupies here...

This is an article by E. J. Dionne about Joe Biden's law school plagiarism episode:

And didn't he go through a phase when he wet the bed as a kid?

But why has Sarah Palin or John McCain refused to release THEIR law school transcripts, or details of how either of them did on the Bar Exam?

Edited by J. Raymond Carroll