Jump to content
The Education Forum

George Patton assassinated by the OSS?

John Simkin

Recommended Posts


General George S. Patton was assassinated to silence his criticism of allied war leaders claims new book

'We've got a terrible situation with this great patriot, he's out of control and we must save him from himself'. The OSS head General did not trust Patton

The newly unearthed diaries of a colourful assassin for the wartime Office of Strategic Services (OSS), the forerunner of the CIA, reveal that American spy chiefs wanted Patton dead because he was threatening to expose allied collusion with the Russians that cost American lives.

The death of General Patton in December 1945, is one of the enduring mysteries of the war era. Although he had suffered serious injuries in a car crash in Manheim, he was thought to be recovering and was on the verge of flying home.

But after a decade-long investigation, military historian Robert Wilcox claims that OSS head General "Wild Bill" Donovan ordered a highly decorated marksman called Douglas Bazata to silence Patton, who gloried in the nickname "Old Blood and Guts".

His book, "Target Patton", contains interviews with Mr Bazata, who died in 1999, and extracts from his diaries, detailing how he staged the car crash by getting a troop truck to plough into Patton's Cadillac and then shot the general with a low-velocity projectile, which broke his neck while his fellow passengers escaped without a scratch.

Mr Bazata also suggested that when Patton began to recover from his injuries, US officials turned a blind eye as agents of the NKVD, the forerunner of the KGB, poisoned the general.

Mr Wilcox told The Sunday Telegraph that when he spoke to Mr Bazata: "He was struggling with himself, all these killings he had done. He confessed to me that he had caused the accident, that he was ordered to do so by Wild Bill Donovan.

"Donovan told him: 'We've got a terrible situation with this great patriot, he's out of control and we must save him from himself and from ruining everything the allies have done.' I believe Douglas Bazata. He's a sterling guy."

Mr Bazata led an extraordinary life. He was a member of the Jedburghs, the elite unit who parachuted into France to help organise the Resistance in the run up to D-Day in 1944. He earned four purple hearts, a Distinguished Service Cross and the French Croix de Guerre three times over for his efforts.

After the war he became a celebrated artist who enjoyed the patronage of Princess Grace of Monaco and the Duke and Duchess of Windsor.

He was friends with Salvador Dali, who painted a portrait of Bazata as Don Quixote.

He ended his career as an aide to President Ronald Reagan's Navy Secretary John Lehman, a member of the 9/11 Commission and adviser to John McCain's presidential campaign.

Mr Wilcox also tracked down and interviewed Stephen Skubik, an officer in the Counter-Intelligence Corps of the US Army, who said he learnt that Patton was on Stalin's death list. Skubik repeatedly alerted Donovan, who simply had him sent back to the US.

"You have two strong witnesses here," Mr Wilcox said. "The evidence is that the Russians finished the job."

The scenario sounds far fetched but Mr Wilcox has assembled a compelling case that US officials had something to hide. At least five documents relating to the car accident have been removed from US archives.

The driver of the truck was whisked away to London before he could be questioned and no autopsy was performed on Patton's body.

With the help of a Cadillac expert from Detroit, Mr Wilcox has proved that the car on display in the Patton museum at Fort Knox is not the one Patton was driving.

"That is a cover-up," Mr Wilcox said.

George Patton, a dynamic controversialist who wore pearl handled revolvers on each hip and was the subject of an Oscar winning film starring George C. Scott, commanded the US 3rd Army, which cut a swathe through France after D-Day.

But his ambition to get to Berlin before Soviet forces was thwarted by supreme allied commander Dwight D. Eisenhower, who gave Patton's petrol supplies to the more cautious British General Bernard Montgomery.

Patton, who distrusted the Russians, believed Eisenhower wrongly prevented him closing the so-called Falaise Gap in the autumn of 1944, allowing hundreds of thousands of German troops to escape to fight again,. This led to the deaths of thousands of Americans during their winter counter-offensive that became known as the Battle of the Bulge.

In order to placate Stalin, the 3rd Army was also ordered to a halt as it reached the German border and was prevented from seizing either Berlin or Prague, moves that could have prevented Soviet domination of Eastern Europe after the war.

Mr Wilcox told The Sunday Telegraph: "Patton was going to resign from the Army. He wanted to go to war with the Russians. The administration thought he was nuts.

"He also knew secrets of the war which would have ruined careers.

I don't think Dwight Eisenhower would ever have been elected president if Patton had lived to say the things he wanted to say." Mr Wilcox added: "I think there's enough evidence here that if I were to go to a grand jury I could probably get an indictment, but perhaps not a conviction."

Charles Province, President of the George S. Patton Historical Society, said he hopes the book will lead to definitive proof of the plot being uncovered. He said: "There were a lot of people who were pretty damn glad that Patton died. He was going to really open the door on a lot of things that they screwed up over there."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm not much into WWII history, but if what the story says about Eisenhower is true, no wonder they offed Ol' Blood and Guts. Patton would have caused Adlai Stevenson to be elected president in 1952. Which would have meant no Guatemala coup? No Bay of Pigs? No Dallas? More and more, U.S. history looks like history by assassination.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Has anybody here read the book?

One problem with the theory is that Truman, who disliked Donovan and apparently initially opposed the formation of a standing peacetime intelligence service order the OSS disbanded several months before Patton’s ‘accident’. The Research and Analysis Branch was transferred the State Department the SI and X-2 branches to the War Department. Donovan quit Sept 28 just before the OSS expired on Oct. 1. It’s hard for me to believe An Army officer would conspire to murder an Army general based on the orders of a general who had been forced out of his command and retired 2 ½ months earlier (1).

Did Wilcox mention this if so how did he deal with it?

Though Donovan’s subordinate was put in charge of the War Department’s remnants of the OSS, Brig. Gen. John Magruder was a career military officer (commissioned 1910, a year after Patton) (2) and I think unlikely to be part of such a plot.

Other questions:

Patton seems to have been conscious for a least part of the intervening time and his wife was at his bedside (3) (4). If someone attacked him after the crash why didn’t he say anything?

Were the other occupants of the car in on it? The other general in the car was his chief of staff (4) Patton’s driver conveniently died in 2003.(5) He is reported to have remarked “What a hell of a way to die. I think I’m paralyzed” to Gay (4).

Why would Patton have been allowed to live 12 days, why would they wait till he’d recoved? Why would they have left it up to the Soviets to finish him off?

Since the revelations he was going to make would not have been embarrassing to the Soviets why would they want to kill him?

Can a ‘low velocity’ ‘rubber bullet’ really break someone’s neck?

If so, could it do so in a way that wouldn’t be obvious to doctor?

Did such a weapon exist in 1945?

Similarly did a "refined form of cyanide that can cause embolisms, heart failure and things like that." Exist in 1945, how would Bazant know so specifically what methods the Soviets used?

What role exactly did Bazata claim to have played according to one review he “said he didn't do the deed, saying the "accident" in Bad Nauheim near Germany's Black Forest had been staged by an acquaintance whom he did not or would not name.”

I’m also suspicious of revelations made decades after the fact, worse when the revelations are made a 3rd party years after the person’s death.

Another major source Stephen Skubik died in 1996 believed the OSS had been penetrated by the Soviets

1) https://www.cia.gov/library/center-for-the-...s/oss/art10.htm

2) http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/jmagruder.htm

3) http://www.eaec.org/newsletters/2004/NL2004Jan.htm

4) http://www.usa-patriotism.com/articles/hp/patton-02.htm

5) http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P2-11112075.html

6) http://www.ukrweekly.com/old/archive/1996/409612.shtml

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That man was Daniel Bazata, Wilcox’s main source. According to a Spanish Holocaust revisionist he said the following at the Washington Hilton Sept 25, 1979:

"For divers political reasons, many extremely high-ranking persons hated Patton. I know who killed him. Because I am the one who was hired to do it. Ten thousand dollars. General William Donovan himself, director of the O.S.S, entrusted me with the mission. I set up the accident. Since he didn't die in the accident, he was kept in isolation in the hospital, where he was killed with an injection".


So I’m going to have to withdraw my complaint that Bazata’s confession was posthumous but the part about it coming decades after the fact still stands.

The quote above was a back translation from Spanish so those might not have been his exact original words. The Spanish original cites Vol. V, # 42, 15-X-1979,pgs. 16-18 of The Spotlight but I was unable to find the original text.

http://www.vho.org/aaargh/fran/livres4/Bochaca-Crimines.pdf [pg 230]

According to an anonymous webpage “Douglas Bazata told the Washington Star that he was given $10,000 to “put him down”. He claims he did not assassinate Patton, but was told how it was done by a fellow spook credited for the deed. Polygraph tests taken by Bazata gave no evidence of lying.”


So if Bazata is to be believed at least 7 people (besides Donovan) were in on it or knew what happened but didn’t say anything.

Patton himself


Gen. Gay

Patton’s driver

The truck driver

The assassin

The 3rd man on the truck.

Without reasonable answers to the questions I raised in my previous post especially 1) why the order was carried out month after Donovan was out of the picture and 2) why Patton said nothing despite surviving the attack, the claims of the book are suspect to say the least

Link to comment
Share on other sites

"For diverse political reasons, many extremely high-ranking persons hated Patton. I know who killed him. Because I am the one who was 

hired to do it. Ten thousand dollars. General William Donovan himself, 

director of the O.S.S, entrusted me with the mission. I set up the 

accident. Since he didn't die in the accident, he was kept in 

isolation in the hospital, where he was killed with an injection." -- 

Douglas Bazata (O.S.S. spy) 

That man was Daniel Bazata, Wilcox’s main source. According to a Spanish Holocaust revisionist he said the following at the Washington Hilton Sept 25, 1979:

"For divers political reasons, many extremely high-ranking persons hated Patton. I know who killed him. Because I am the one who was hired to do it. Ten thousand dollars. General William Donovan himself, director of the O.S.S, entrusted me with the mission. I set up the accident. Since he didn't die in the accident, he was kept in isolation in the hospital, where he was killed with an injection".


You should really pay better attention.

One problem with Bazata’s claim is that Donovan had been out of the picture for a few moth when the crash took place and none of the people in either car not even Paton himself said said there was anything amiss.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 years later...
Guest Tom Scully

From my last post, in the George DeMohrensshildt thread,


A wierder turn is discovered. F. Skiddy von Stade, Jr.'s sister-in-law remarried less than two years after the death of Skiddy's brother, Charles. First, let's recap :

Len, what I've found is that a man named F. Skiddy von Stade, Jr. has a startling number of coincidental connections.


In his biography, GHW Bush describes F. von Stade, uncle of opera singer Frederica von Stade as an old friend, writing to Bush during F. von Stade's 14 day holiday at Aiken, SC.

F. von Stade aka F. Skiddy von Stade, Jr., is as Cass Canfield and George McMillan, a man from Aiken, SC.

He graduated from Harvard in 1938 and was assistant dean, and later dean of freshman, during a 38 years long Harvard career.

von Stade knew George L. Keenan and his wife, Joan, from the 1950's to the 1970's.

von Stade served on a Locust Valley, LI equestrian committee in 1958 with James A. Thomas, Jr.

We can assume von Stade was acquainted with Stuart H. Johnson.

von Stade's late brother Charles's wife was a secretary at CIA and the mother of opera singer, Frederica von Stade.

She was also the first cousin of Charles Clucas, married in 1954 to Phyliss DeMohrenschildt, daughter of a CIA executive and a CIA employee, herself. Charles Clucas was divorced from Phyllis in 1959 and then married Celia de Gersdorff, daughter of Washington Post's Ben Bradlee's mother's uncle.

I think I've discovered how Sara Clucas von Stade got her job as a secretary at the CIA:


New York Times - Dec 7, 1946

Mrs. Sara Worthington Clucas von Stade, widow of Lieut, Charles Steel von Stade, AUS, and daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Edward Welch Clucas of Whiteoakes, ..



Chapter X

"First Jed to Kill a Boche . . ."

, a plan to infiltrate 50 two-man teams into France was plagued with problems from the outset. Not only were the British resentful of OSS's new role, but U.S. Army G-2 did its level best to ensure that recruitment of S
personnel would be hamstrung. Donovan himself eventually became directly involved in the intra-American squabble.

"At a confrontation in the office of General Jake Devers, the American Theater commander in London, the Army intelligence man left no doubt that he trusted neither Donovan or his ideas. Donovan replied in a low voice without any inflection or emotion, "Unless the general apologizes at once, I shall tear him to pieces physically and throw his remains through these windows into Grosvenor Square."
The apologies were both immediate and prolix.

was an intelligence collection operation conducted jointly by OSS SI branch and British SIS. The paramilitary and sabotage aspects of clandestine warfare were assigned to OSS SO Branch and British SOE. The counterpart of S
in this respect was Operation J
. To coordinate this rising tempo of planning, a joint Anglo-American enterprise designated Special Force Headquarters was established. SFHQ would organize all underground resistance in France to support the coming invasion. Fifty J
teams were initially envisioned. Each to be composed of one American, one French, and one British officer. These would be dropped, in uniform, to rally and advise the
In Belgium and Holland, respective officers of those nations would take the place of the French officer in each team.

Milton Hall, an Elizabethan manor house about 100 miles north of London, was chosen as the J
training and assessment center.


"It was one of those enormous private houses which dot the English countryside and put American millionaires to shame. Almost without effort, Milton Hall swallowed the 240 men of the J
Operation, together with what the British called the "permanent party," the instructors, batmen, cooks, and drivers, who had been collected together to run the operation and to serve it."
There amid Cromwellian armor and oak-beamed hallways, the J
s learned the fine points of the sabotage trade.

Paratrooper boots thudded from a training harness into neat lawns and men practiced silent killing in the sunken gardens. From the croquet pitch came the crackle of small arms. . . . and the acrid smell of burnt powder blended with the traditional odor of boxwood and roses.

JEDBURGH field training was conducted at several other locations and it was from one of these, the royal burgh on Scotland's Jed River, that the operational name was derived. "Each man was to be hand-picked both for his high intelligence, his skills as a partisan, his personal courage, his ability to command respect, and his fairness--for a "Jed," as they were known for short, was expected to be captain, judge, confessor, and quartermaster--to say nothing of demolitions expert, gunsmith, linguist, marksman, poacher, and doctor."5

SUSSEX and JEDBURGH were part of a vast Allied plan to deceive Hitler as to the location and timing of the main assault against France. Codenamed BODYGUARD, this operation extended to virtually every theater of the war, and was the greatest deception ever attempted.

JEDBURGH's major goal was to tie down potential enemy reinforcements by employing guerilla warfare and sabotage. Since Brittany


contained sizeable numbers of German troops which could strike at the flank of the actual O
landing area, it was given special attention by the Special Forces Headquarters.

Troop concentrations in the south of France were also considered. O
's small brother--Operation A
--was an integral part of the strategic offensive. But shipping, air support, and other logistical considerations precluded launching A
until at least 8 weeks after the Normandy attack. Consequently, it was determined that resistance forces of the FFI would bear the burden of creating havoc there until the Mediterranean landings took place, and thereafter supporting the drive northward.

To coordinate Special Force operations in the south, a Special Operations Center (SPOC) was established in Algiers, and both J
and OG teams were staged there. One of these was J
Team B
, commanded by Major Horace W. Fuller, USMCR, codename F
. With him were French Army Captain Guy de la Roche, British Major Hiram Crosby and French Lieutenant Marcel Guillemont. B
's target was Tarbes, the "adopted ancestral home" of the de la Roche family.


SOE had been active in the Tarbes area since January 1943, when Maurice Southgate (codename H
) had been parachuted into the area along with a courier, Jacqueline Nearne. H
's mission had been to determine the status of resistance forces in the Pyrenees foothills and along the Spanish border. These proved to be sound; "they numbered nearly a hundred and all had passed the same stiff initial test: escape from a prisoner-of-war camp in Germany. Some serious immediate sabotage was attempted in Tarbes arsenal at midsummer but only a day's delay was caused . . "

As D-Day approached, SOE stepped up its own activities in the Haute Pyrenees and at was to be resistance forces of the British W
circuit that B
was specifically directed.

A year later his love for adventure led him to secure a commercial pilot's license and a job with East Coast Aircraft Corporation, a small company based at Boston Airport. By that time America was in the depths of the Great Depression. In 1932, East Coast Air folded and Fuller was out of a job.

Rather than returning to Harvard, Fuller instead wangled a position as engineer on the 85' diesel auxiliary yacht
Within weeks, he was off on a round-the-world cruise during which he worked not only on the main engine, but also taught himself to handle


all of the electrical and refrigeration work.
voyage lasted 23 months.

IN 1934, his wanderlust partially slaked, Fuller went to work as an engineer at the Bethlehem Steel plant in Quincy. Eventually he became head of the department which tested diesel and gasoline engine designs. Fuller was at the Fore River factory when Germany attacked Poland . . . but not for long.

As soon as the Nazis attacked, I joined a group of Americans and went to France to volunteer my services. I was attached to the 19th Transport Regiment, 10th Division, 10th French Army Corps and served at the Front all through the battles for Flanders and on the Somme. When the Armistice came I was demobilized, a hearbreaking experience since I had just received an appointment for the next officer's course and a posting to the Foreign Legion.

Soon after returning to the United States, Fuller wrote to Marine Corps headquarters, requesting an application for training and commissioning as a Motor Transport Officer. His interests and motivation toward service as a Marine had by then already been well demonstrated, since he had served as a volunteer reserve enlisted man during his Harvard days and was carried on the inactive roles as a Corporal until 1935.10

After several months of teaching, Fuller wrote the Major General Commandant seeking a place at the formal Reserve Officer's Refresher Course. In it he pointed out that:


Having served from January until July 1940, in the line of the French Army with the 19th Regiment, 10th Division, commanded by General Georges, as a driver and small unit leader of tanks, armored cars, and ambulances, and have been engaged with the enemy covering the withdrawal of French units from Dunkirk through Flanders (where I received the Croix de Guerre on 8 June 1940), it is my desire to better fit myself with current Marine Corps methods. I hope to serve in Marine Corps armored units in the line.

Fuller got his school and a set of orders to one of the Marine Corp's newest units: the First Amphibian Tractor Battalion at Dunedin, Florida. There, Fuller was given command of Company "C" and directed to inspect the new LCTs as they came off the Food Machinery Company's Lakeland assembly lines. Following several months of training, Company "C" entrained with its vehicles and moved to the 1st Marine Division's base camp at New River, North Caroline.

By Mary 1942, Fuller had been promoted to Captain and was holding down the post of Battalion Executive Officer. He still had the job when the 1st Division sailed for New Zealand on 10 June. In Wellington, new officers and equipment reached the battalion and Fuller was given another COmpany to command. When the Marines landed at Guadalcanal on 7 August 1942, Hod Fuller's LVTs were among the first to hit the beach.

During the following weeks, the Division engaged in a series of operations which relegated the LVTs to a largely logistical role. But that did not spare Captain Fuller. On 3 October, he was inside a bunker which suffered a direct hit during a Japanese air attack. A collapsing timber smashed his leg and proved to be a ticket home.

At first, the leg seemed to heal well, but by FEbruary 1943, Fuller had developed a noticeable limp and was in constant pain.


Detached from his temporary job as Assistant G-2 of Amphibious Force Pacific, he was promoted to Major and shipped Est to the Naval Hospital at Chelsea, Massachusetts.

Five weeks later, an operation having repaired his battle damage, Fuller left Chelsea for Quantico. There he was assigned to the tactics section of the Reserve Officer Training School. But despite being elevated to Battalion Commander, Fuller was not content with watching the war go by from the shores of the Potomac. He had, in fact, already laid the ground work for a transfer to Europe. In a letter to Major Andrew Wylie, Fuller pointed out:

While sailing on various small yachts and making voyages on French and Italian sailing vessels in the Mediterranean, I have spent considerable time on the southern coast of France as well as in Sardinia, Corsica, Crete, Sicily, and Elba.

Wylie was in a position to help. Scion of a wealthy Washington family, he was head of ONI's East European desk and had direct contacts with OSS. On 1 September 1943, Hod Fuller received orders to report to Donovan.

New Year's Day 1944 found Fuller in England and awaiting assignment to the OSS Parachute Training Unit, then commanded by another Marine, Major Bruce B. Cheever, USMC.13 Shortly thereafter, he was tapped for duty as a "Jed."

Team BUGATTI left Blida, near Algiers, early in the evening of 28 June 1944. A single black B-24 flew the mission., After an unremarkable five hour flight, the drop zone was spotted, and Fuller, Crosby, de la Roche, and Guillemont "hit the silk."


On the ground, things worked equally smoothly. A resistance reception committee was on hand to great the Jedburghs and gather their equipment. By 0200 on the 29th, B
was safely stashed in a farmhouse some 6 kilometers from the small town of Montrejeau. The next day, Fuller left early for a rendezvous with George R. Starr (codename: H
), one of SOE's most daring organizers in the south of France and architect of W
Accompanying him was Anne Marie Waters (codename: C
), Starr's courier.

Since the area was swarming with Germans, Fuller travelled in civilian clothes. This was not accepted practice for "Jeds" because capture would automatically result in execution as a spy. But C
convinced the members of B
that there was little chance of avoiding Germans and that uniforms would result in instant combat The wisdom of her rationale became immediately apparent. Soon after Fuller departed, a company of SS troops was spotted moving toward the farmhouse. Only a quick exit from the second story saved detection.

We were then taken at night to the maquis camp near Arbon. Here all attempts to reach Algiers were most unsatisfactory as our B-2 (radio) set had been damaged in the drop. Although I brought another B-2 back from H
's headquarters, our first messages were always reported as indecipherable. The maquis consisted of about 100 men, all of whom were poorly armed, but with their remaining store of plastique, we immediately blew up four pylons on the 15,000 kilowatt power line through the Armon Valley. This supplied power to the aircraft factory in Toulouse,


After a fortnight of frustration caused by faulty radios, B
finally managed to raise Algiers. Then began a series of pleas for arms and ammunition:

Guns and ammo needed urgently. . . . send petrol and generator as soon as possible. . . . Area unsafe for free movement. Bren guns needed quickly.

No arms and Boche everywhere. Am sabotaging power and rail lines continually. Need supplies.

Daylight dropping impossible. Boche patrols make movement dangerous. All vehicles forbidden to move and shot at on sight. Immediate strength at least 3,000
but no arms.

By 10 July, still without supplies, Fuller decided on a risky move. A new radio and some previously delivered weapons were cached in the village of Lannemezan. Unfortunately, the two was garrisoned by 1,200 German soldiers. Captain de la Roche and a four man team volunteered to try to retrieve these desperately needed items.Moving at night in a purloined truck, they succeeded not only in getting the equipment, but also returning with it to the Arbon hideout. With the new radio, BUGATTI was finally able to regain contact with the SPOC and on the night of 16 July, a lone plane dropped containers to the maquis. Though many of these broke open before reaching the ground, the resupply proved a godsend for the next day, 600 Germans began to systematically invest the farm area.

Fuller pulled his men back to an open hillside with a wooded area protecting the flanks. De la Roche and a special contingent armed themselves with British Gammon grenades in case the enemy brought up tanks.


At about 1730, the Germans began slowly advancing toward the
positions. Taken under fire, they brought mortars and heavy machine guns into play. Eventually, the
withdrew into the forest leaving 16 dead Germans on the field and having suffered no casualties themselves.

Fuller immediately shifted his headquarters deeper into the Pyrenees, this time to the vicinity of St. Bertrand des Comminges about 16 miles to the west. While on the move, he learned that the Arbon farm had been compromised by an Italian who lived in Montrejeau. Fuller ordered the resistance to deal with him.

Several days later one of our patrols shot him in Montrejeau and he was taken to hospital wounded. We then sent a visitor to the hospital who slit his throat during the night.

BUGATTI's main camp now contained about 35 men,all of whom were well armed, but had little ammunition and few explosives. Another maquis unit at Arbas was better equipped and they began a systematic campaign of sabotage directed at railway lines and power stations. Fuller radioed a report of the fighting which ended with the sanguine phrase, "Hope I'm first Jed to kill a Boche."17

On 20 July, Fuller determined that the situation could best be handled by splitting his team into two separate parts. Captain de la Roche was directed to take charge on the Tarbes area while Fuller directed the maquis in the valleys of Nistos, Luchron, and as far east as Saint Gaudens.

Both of these groups were busy. On one occasion, de la Roche was ambushed while riding a motorcycle. He lay in a ditch while the Germans unsuccessfully searched all around him and had the traumatic


experience of watching his companion captured,tortured, and executed on the spot.

In addition to the enemy, Fuller and de la Roche were also forced to address the ticklish problem of internal rivalries in the resistance. Their position in this regard was decidedly hampered by a continuing inability to produce either weapons or money. During the entire course of B
's operation, only a single supply drop was received. The air of suspicion and mutual antagonism which surrounded the Communist FTP,
the MUR,
and the
Franc Pommies
was never fully overcome, but de la Roche, in particular, succeeded in bringing about an uneasy accommodation. The open internecine warfare which characterized all of the East European guerilla movements was thereby avoided.

By 20 July, B
had hit all its designated targets and was busy blowing railroads faster than the Germans could repair them. One of the biggest successes was complete interdiction of the line which ran south into Spain. This blocked 50,000 tons of iron ore at the frontier.

had also been ordered to destroy the oil refinery at Peyrouzet. Fuller was loath to undertake this mission because of the potential impact on the area's power economy. Happily, M. la Chaux, the manager, was a confirmed patriot of the resistance and had participated in several stiff firefights as a
commander. La Chaux proposed a simple but effective plan for eliminating production without sabotaging the equipment.
Francs Tireurs et Partisans

Mouvement Unis de Resistance



BUGATTI's headquarters now became the Hôtel Moderne, but Fuller and de la Roche did not spend much time there. For the next three weeks, both were involved in a series of actions which culminated in an organized maquis force of nearly 5,000 men. While the bulk of these forces drove northward toward Bordeaux, a series of ambushes was strung out along the Franco-Spanish frontier. Patrols in this sector captured more than 400 Germans, bringing BUGATTI's haul to approximately 1,000.

Operations were now going so successfully that Fuller was no longer content to wait in vain for request air support from Algiers. Having overrun several airfields and being a pilot, he simply organized his own airforce. Although hampered by lack of fuses for the German bombs, the planes did pay dividends in reconnaissance and liaison roles. The SPOC, while praising this innovation, firmly refused Fuller's request to send a flight back to North Africa.



(Photo courtesy Captain François de la Roche, USMCR)

As the enemy was driven from French soil, the enmity of the various factions within the

We saw the whole situation was becoming one of politics with the different groups within the FFI starting to fight among themselves for power and, as the mission which had been given us was a military one, we carefully avoided anything to do with politics. . . . We therefore began demobilizing our men. All weapons were taken and stored in a caserne at Tarbes and all military affairs in our region handed over to the FFI.
<a href="

For their work in France, Fuller and de la Roche were awarded the Silver Star and Crois de Guerre. Fuller was also mentioned in despatches by SOE and mae a Knight of the Legion of Honor by France. He finished the war with a Chinese commando battalion having been promoted to lieutenant Colonel while in the Pyrenees. Demobilized in December 1945, he worked for a succession of airlines both in the United States and abroad. Fuller was later promoted to Colonel in the Marine Corps Reserve and retired as a Brigadier General in 1957. He died in 1971.20


OSS Society Newsletter - Fall 2004

www.osssociety.org/pdfs/oss_fall_04.pdf (page 15)

File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - Quick View

I AM WRITING A PAPER on the Danish Jedburgh Mis-

sion in 1945, and would appreciate any information on

Major Riis OSS and Major Verschoor OSS who

were mentioned in the SOE files on the mission.

Original Milton Hall-trained Jeds who were involved

were LTC Hod Fuller USMC, Capt Doug Bazata,

and Capt Bill Pietsch. The files also mention OSS

W/T operators, but cannot identify them by name;

possibly Poitras, Larosse, and Litallan. Only one

team was deployed under the British Lt. Col. An-

drew Croft and this was to observe the German

surrender. Training of the Danish Jeds was carried out

at Hatherop Castle STS 45 near Fairford in

Gloucestershire. Steven Kippax -


Chapter 8


File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - Quick View

November 1944, “Accomplishments of OSS, 15654, copy in CIA Records ...... invaded along the Riviera, Fuller's team led an uprising of 5000 maquis, ambushing ...... Captain Douglas (“Doug”) DeWitt Bazata, head of Team Cedric in eastern


Douglas DeWitt Bazata, Artist And O.S.S. Officer, Dies at 88


Published: August 22, 1999

Douglas DeWitt Bazata, who served with the United States Office of Strategic Services behind enemy lines in France in World War II and later became an artist, died on July 14 in his home in Chevy Chase, Md. He was 88.

The death of Mr. Bazata was belatedly reported to The New York Times.

He was described as ''a red-haired soldier of fortune who called all colonels 'Sugar' '' in a 1978 book, ''Honorable Men,'' by William E. Colby, a former Director of Central Intelligence, and Peter Forbath.

Mr. Bazata had already served in the Marines and was a skilled boxer and marksman when he became an Army officer in 1942 and also joined the O.S.S., the forerunner of the Central Intelligence Agency.

He went on to be one of a daring group of about 50 American parachute officers who volunteered for what Mr. Colby described as ''a highly hazardous mission'' in Nazi-occupied France, Belgium and the Netherlands. Other members of the group included Stewart Alsop, later a noted journalist, and Mr. Colby....


(Page 2 of 2)

The Maquis, along with Captain Bazata and Emile, harried the German troops and, it is said, drew attention away from a sector of France's strategically important Mediterranean coast.

Mr. Bazata, a major by the time he left the Army in 1947, was recalled admiringly by Emile in a volume of memoirs, ''Maquis,'' which came out in 1947. Emile, whose real name was George Millar, wrote that ''walking with the tempestuous Bazata toward the German lines was like riding a horse with a mouth of iron.'' Once Emile and Captain Bazata escaped the attention of nearby Germans by pretending to be innocent Frenchmen gathering mushrooms....

I see that the discussion has moved on and maybe my original post would have been better placed elsewhere, but here is a little more info on Mr Douglas Bazata who claimed to have made a failed assassination attempt on Gen Patton.

His description of the device that he maintains to have used in the attempt was that it worked on a spring and compressed air mechanism and could fire almost anything, even a tea cup. They found that the best projectile was a small cube shaped missile. I mention it to show that 18 years before Dallas a weapon of this type may have been available.

"Bazata's confident claims that a special weapon made in Czechoslovakia was used to strike Patton in the head. The weapon was designed to propel seemingly innocuous objects like metal or rocks at terrific force. This weapon, fired at about 10 yards away, allegedly caused the severe head wound and broke Patton's neck."

Douglas Bazata from http://www.associate...g4.html?cat=37:

One of the most intriguing theories that Patton was the target of a plot comes from an ex-U.S. intelligence agent who claimed he was paid to kill Patton. Douglas Bazata started his espionage career in 1926 and continued it for over 50 years in the Marine Corps and OSS. Bazata told 450 guests at the Hilton Hotel in Washington D.C. on September 25, 1979, that he was solicited by OSS head Bill Donovan to kill Patton for money.

Bazata told the Hilton Hotel audience, "For diverse political reasons, many extremely high-ranking persons hated Patton. I know who killed him. Because I am the one who was hired to do it. Ten thousand dollars. General William Donovan himself, director of the O.S.S, entrusted me with the mission. I set up the accident. Since he didn't die in the accident, he was kept in isolation in the hospital, where he was killed with an injection."[ii]

The story was reported in the Washington Star and The Spotlight magazine.[iii] Bazata claimed he was commissioned to kill Patton in a series of eight meetings with Donovan. The Washington Star reported that Bazata's interview was analyzed by a Psychological Stress Evaluator (PSE), a polygraph machine that measures stress in the voice, and reported that Bazata is telling the truth. Bazata said he was paid a total of $10,800 on two occasions by Donovan. He accepted the money and told Donovan that he would kill Patton, but in reality had no intention of trying. He said he worked with Donovan on the surface only because he feared for his life if he didn't. Soon after he was paid, Bazata was confronted by a confident and told that he too had been contracted to kill Patton. Who had hired the other man, Bazata never knew. Why Donovan wanted Patton dead was unclear to Bazata. Donovan could have been the only instigator, or been the mouthpiece for another individual or group"






WEAPONS LAW LINK...Bill Number: SB 578




H. W. Fuller, 81, Dies; Decorated Ex-Marine

Published: August 18, 1989

Horace W. Fuller, a retired United States Marine Reserve brigadier general who served at Guadalcanal and with the French Resistance in World War II, died of cancer Wednesday in a clinic on the Greek island of Spetsai. He was 81 years old and lived on Spetsai.

He spent five years on active duty with the Marines during and after World War II, rising to lieutenant colonel and earning French and American decorations. He retired from the Marine Corps Reserve as a brigadier general in 1954.

Horace Williams Fuller was born in Brookline, Mass., and earned an B.S. degree from Harvard College in 1930.

Over the years, General Fuller had homes in New England and in Greece, where he was active in shipping and other businesses, retiring in 1970.

His 1947 marriage to Sarah Clucas von Stade ended in divorce in 1951. He married Dosia Karaiskakis of Spetsai in 1952. She died in 1981.


  • Deceased's name: Robert Gorham Fuller
  • Age: 99
  • Date: November 10, 2010
  • Hometown: Westwood, formerly of Dover
  • Survived by: Sons, Robert G., Jr. of Winthrop, Maine and his wife Moira and her four children and seven grandchildren, son, Randolph J. Fuller of Boston and a number of nieces and nephews.

Mr. Fuller was predeceased by his wife, Constance, three brothers, Horace Williams Fuller, Brigadier General (Retired), U.S. Marine Corps Reserve of Spetsai, Greece, Henry Morrill Fuller, of York, Main, Benjamin Apthorp Gould Fuller, II of Waltham and a sister, Anne Hutchinson Fuller, also of Greece.

Mr. Fuller was born on May 31, 1911 in Brookline to Robert G. Fuller and Genevieve (Morrill) Fuller. While he was still of tender years, the family removed to Dover, where he spent the great part of his life. He attended Charles River School in Dover and a few years after completing his secondary education and marrying Constance W. Bader of Dover, volunteered for and served in the U.S. Army Air Corps during World War II. He was stationed in British Guiana and ferried multi-engine aircraft between there and Dakar, Africa.......

In 1954, Sara Clucas von Stade Fuller's first cousin, Charles Clucas, married Phyliss Washington DeMohrenschildt. :


Edited by Tom Scully
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest Tom Scully

Len, consider that F. Skiddy von Stade, Jr. was described as the Harvard administrator students were most familiar with.


Dean of Freshmen, Harvard College

By Peter Shapiro,

Published: Friday, September 01, 1972

YOU might see him walking through the Yard in a gray three-piece suit his back stiffly erect from a polo injury three years ago. His name is Francis Skiddy von Stade Jr., and for most of the Class of '76, he is the most direct link with the overlapping jurisdictions and tangled paths of command that make up the Harvard Administration.

As dean of Freshmen, he will serve in loco parentis for the 1000 first-year men and 200 first year women residing in the dormitories in and around the Yard. He is the Harvard administrator extraordinaire, having sat in a University office since 1940, when he was chosen as an assistant dean. "With the exception of three and a half years during the War. I've been in University Hall ever since," von Stade noted last week, looking out an ivied window of Harvard's main administration building......

Skiddy had the pick of the litter, so to speak, if he was brining students such as George L. Keenan to the attention of CIA recruiters. Radcliffe was the female student, sister school of Harvard, so Skiddy could also have known Priscilla Johnson.

The only place George E. McMillan resided long term in, after 1946, aside from in SC, was in Skiddy's stomping ground during his 38 year career, Cambridge, MA :


Boston Globe - Sep 4, 1987

George E. McMillan, 74, of St. Helena Island, SC, formerly of Cambridge, ... In 1946, he moved to Aiken, SC, and became a free-lance writer covering the civil ... In 1963, Mr. McMillan was hired by NBC television as a special investigator for a

Mr. McMillan was the recipientof a Guggenheim Fellowship in 1950, a 1963 Lasker Fellow at Brandeis University, a Fellow of the MacDowell Colony, Peterborough, N.H., in 1965 and a Rockefeller Foundation Fellow at Lake Como, Italy, in 1977.

While in Cambridge, he was a student at the Boston Psychoanalytic Institute, at the Harvard Extension and at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. He was a member of the Cambridge Tennis Club and of the Badminton and Tennis Club of Boston.

When he wrote this article in 1950, George McMillan described Aiken, SC as a town of 6,000 residents.: (footnote is on pg. 40)

86 George McMillan, “H-bomb invades aristocratic lair,” Washington Post, December 3, 1950, B3.

,pdf file of McMillan's 1950 article on Aiken and its history:


.pdf file of Skiddy's father's 1967 Obituary


In 1960, george McMillan wrote a history of Aiken, SC for the chamber of commerce :

Aiken - George McMillan - Google Books

books.google.co.uk/books/about/Aiken.html?id=pVETAAAAYAAJAiken. Front Cover. George McMillan · 0 Reviewshttp://books.google.co.uk/books/about/Aiken.html?id=pVETAAAAYAAJ. Braddy's, 1960 - 14 pages ...


New York Times - Sep 30, 1937

Mrs. Josephine Houghteling Griswold of 783 Park Avenue, widow of Frank Gray Griswold and mother of Cass Canfield, president of Harper ... Bar Harbor and Aiken, SC, and at their principal country seat, in Roslyn, LI With Mrs. John Jacob ...

George McMillan and Cass Canfield both served in the Office of War Information (domestic propaganda)


Short Cab Ride in India Began Her Odyssey; A Short Ride...

New York Times - Apr 22, 1967

It was a fortunate call, Mr. Canfield was leaving the next day for an extended absence from the country. There was no question about Harper Row's interest. ...

Memoirs Sold --She Tells of Faith in...‎ New York Times


New York Times - Apr 23, 1967

... Moscow as a translator in February, 1956, when she noticed an announcement on a bulletin board ... George, who is a freelance writer, said that while .

Len, I believe the only way I have any chance to make progress in solving this conspiracy mystery is to research patterns and connections. I think I am doing that. Without backtracking too far from my commitment to observing and enforcing the forum rule not to question the motives of other members, I risk asking, what are you doing? Is it a confirming sign of the progress I am making that you are taking such an interest?

Edited by Tom Scully
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Len, I believe the only way I have any chance to make progress in solving this conspiracy mystery is to research patterns and connections. I think I am doing that. Without backtracking too far from my commitment to observing and enforcing the forum rule not to question the motives of other members, I risk asking, what are you doing? Is it a confirming sign of the progress I am making that you are taking such an interest?

That’s right Tom – Patton WAS murdered and 67 years later there is still an active conspiracy to cover it up. Those responsible for keeping the truth from coming out did not feel threatened by a novel which was made into a major Hollywood movie nor even a well-publicized history book pushing this theory nor even the considerable coverage the latter got in many mainstream media outlets including Fox. But your absurdly long and not very coherent post which probably will only be read by a few dozen people and digested by even fewer is such a threat to the truth breaking out that I was instructed to take counter measures. This essentially is what you are insinuating. I have to ask you, are you alright in the head? I’ve not seen such a mix of paranoia and delusion of grandeur since Lemkin was shown the door.

Odd also that you make 5000+ word post and then a 700+ word one but think my 16 word indicates I’m “taking such an interest”. Tommy expressed a similar sentiment do suspect he also might be trying to retard your progress?

What’s more interesting is that you are a moderator and yet once again are knowingly and blatantly violating the forum’s rules which you are supposed to enforce. The honorable thing to do would be to step down.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now
  • Create New...