The Education Forum

NSAM 261 Four Leaves

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just speculation, William. Nothing to get exited about.

Every major secret defense installation should have a sham?

Here's a project nicked the rock. So a sham rock somewhere is not entirely implausible.

Coincidentally, the Irish Shamrock (Oxalis Deppei (iron cross, faux clover)) has four leaves.

• 4 months later...

Bundy, Security Memo on Covert Cuban Operatsions; Sept. 24, 1963

http://www.maryferrell.org/mffweb/archive/...mp;relPageId=20

THE WHITE HOUSE

WASHINGTON

September 23, 1963

SECRET EYES ONLY

MEMORANDUM FOR MEMBERS OF THE SPECIAL GROUP

SUBJECT: Covert Operations Against Cuba – Securtiy Within the Government

As you know, in August the U.S. Government directed two “exile” raids against targets in Cuba. From the evidence now available, it appears that our security, with respect to U.S. participation in these operations, was excellent.

While there will always be public speculation as to the extent of U.S. involvement in raids of this type, I think we would all agree readily that it is important that there be only speculation and no direct knowledge. Unfortunately, the maintenance of a high degree of security is not a simple matter in view of the numbers of people within the Government who have to know a little or much about a U.S. – directed raid against Cuba.

For example, without counting CIA personnel and secretarial and staff personnel of other agencies, there were probably over 20 people in the Executive Branch who knew details of the August raids while many other people were generally acquainted with the U.S. involvement. Among others, the Navy knew where the attack boats were going; the Coast Guard, Customs, and INS knew about the “comings and goings” of the raiders; a few DOD people, who had to procure special equipment for the raids, could presumably surmise that something was going on somewhere and a few intelligence watch officers and press officers were told for their background, that the U.S. Government as aware of the raids.

I think there are two important, if obvious, security lessons we have learned from the August raids - - one, that it is in the nature of the problem that many people probably have to know something about such raids; and two, that these people apparently can maintain adequate security. At the same time, in view of the truth that security leaks were more likely to occur when substantial numbers of persons are involved, it seems essential to me that we constantly convey the high importance of security to others who are privy to information about our covert activities against Cuba. May I ask that members of the Special Group take such steps within their areas of authority as they think appropriate, and may I in particular urge that the Central Intelligence Agency, as executive agent for these enterprises, emphasize the importance of security to all those with whom it has necessary business on these matters, so that we can maintain the high level of security set in these recent operations.

Signed

McGeorge Bundy

Bundy, Security Memo on Covert Cuban Operatsions; Sept. 24, 1963

http://www.maryferrell.org/mffweb/archive/...mp;relPageId=20

Could this be the memo referenced in the HIGGINS memo of the following day Sept.24?

"16. After the JCS meeting Admiral Riley called Colonel Higgins into his office and read a letter from Mr. McGeorge Bundy which discussed secrecy measures necessary related to Cuba CIA operations. Admiral Riley directed Colonel Higgins to have the nature of this letter put out through SACSA control to SACSA contact points to insure an adequate system for secrecy within the military services. Admiral Riley stated he was returning the letter to Mr. Gilpatric as he did not want written communication by SACSA, but to put this out orally. This was transmitted to Colonel Wyman who will take the action to prepare an appropriate memorandum for the record to be filed with General Ingelido in accordance with further direction by Admiral Riley."

For some reason I don't think so. A pat on the back and saying that two dozen bureaucrats can keep a secret doesn't seem like it is worthy of an oral briefing, with no records kept, and then have a record of it like this kept.

The two approved missions of August 1963 were probably the August 18 maritime attack at Puerto Casilda, on the south coast of Cuba, and the August 19 bombing raid on Santa Lucia in Pinar de Rio.

I am interested in any details of these two missions, if anyone has anything on them. They should have made the news, and Castro should have commented on them.

Noam Chomsky apparently does mention them in Understanding Power, as they are mentioned in the footnotes, if anybody has those references.

Thanks,

BK

THE WHITE HOUSE

WASHINGTON

September 23, 1963

SECRET EYES ONLY

MEMORANDUM FOR MEMBERS OF THE SPECIAL GROUP

SUBJECT: Covert Operations Against Cuba – Securtiy Within the Government

As you know, in August the U.S. Government directed two “exile” raids against targets in Cuba. From the evidence now available, it appears that our security, with respect to U.S. participation in these operations, was excellent.

While there will always be public speculation as to the extent of U.S. involvement in raids of this type, I think we would all agree readily that it is important that there be only speculation and no direct knowledge. Unfortunately, the maintenance of a high degree of security is not a simple matter in view of the numbers of people within the Government who have to know a little or much about a U.S. – directed raid against Cuba.

For example, without counting CIA personnel and secretarial and staff personnel of other agencies, there were probably over 20 people in the Executive Branch who knew details of the August raids while many other people were generally acquainted with the U.S. involvement. Among others, the Navy knew where the attack boats were going; the Coast Guard, Customs, and INS knew about the “comings and goings” of the raiders; a few DOD people, who had to procure special equipment for the raids, could presumably surmise that something was going on somewhere and a few intelligence watch officers and press officers were told for their background, that the U.S. Government as aware of the raids.

I think there are two important, if obvious, security lessons we have learned from the August raids - - one, that it is in the nature of the problem that many people probably have to know something about such raids; and two, that these people apparently can maintain adequate security. At the same time, in view of the truth that security leaks were more likely to occur when substantial numbers of persons are involved, it seems essential to me that we constantly convey the high importance of security to others who are privy to information about our covert activities against Cuba. May I ask that members of the Special Group take such steps within their areas of authority as they think appropriate, and may I in particular urge that the Central Intelligence Agency, as executive agent for these enterprises, emphasize the importance of security to all those with whom it has necessary business on these matters, so that we can maintain the high level of security set in these recent operations.

Signed

McGeorge Bundy

http://www.maryferrell.org/mffweb/archive/....do?docId=10286

NARA Record Number: 202-10001-10070

http://www.maryferrell.org/mffweb/archive/...amp;relPageId=2

Here's a DOD report on military preparations in support of CIA operation 3101

in October, 1963, (by Col. P.A. Wyman, who must be one of Krulak's guys), which mentions the September 24 briefing and LeMay.

While it appears this mission, to destroy oil facilities, was postponed by Krulak or "Higher Authority," this could be related to the late October raid that made the headlines and front page of NYT on Nov. 1.

It seems like they were ready to go to war to protect a mother ship, like the Rex, but then let its cover be blown, and not really care.

Bk

I always wondered why after the Assassination, on a shadow bus from Texas back to LA, when I asked an agent sitting in front of me on Sunday the 24th "who shot Kennedy?" and he said they had a meeting with Hoover and it was a test on Kennedy's security that went wrong... when I asked him what agency he was with he said "NASA".

I figured he has got to be kidding ....Then in Garrison's book he talks about some of Oswalds friends in New Orleans got Jobs with NASA.

Then latley I hear the JFK offered cooperation with Russia on aspects of the space program and I also heard that NASA has its own security agency.

Could this have somethin to do with the 4 or falling Leaves?

From http://www.questia.com/googleScholar.qst?docId=5001392321

"indeed, in one particularly important respect, the president's cooperative policy was virtually a mirror image of his competitive one: its culmination was a proposal for a lunar landing. On September 20, 1963, in a speech before the United Nations (UN) General Assembly, Kennedy invited the USSR to join the United States in developing a joint expedition to the moon, the same mission he had justified two years earlier primarily on the basis of American-Soviet rivalry. As might be expected, this proposal was met with incredulity, if not alarm, by a number of U.S. officials, including many members of Congress. The president would spend what were to be the last two months of his life trying--not altogether successfully--to reconcile what many saw as a blatant contradiction in his policies."

Edited by Jim Glover

Guest Tom Scully
http://www.maryferrell.org/mffweb/archive/....do?docId=10286

NARA Record Number: 202-10001-10070

http://www.maryferrell.org/mffweb/archive/...amp;relPageId=2

Here's a DOD report on military preparations in support of CIA operation 3101

in October, 1963, (by Col. P.A. Wyman, who must be one of Krulak's guys), which mentions the September 24 briefing and LeMay.

While it appears this mission, to destroy oil facilities, was postponed by Krulak or "Higher Authority," this could be related to the late October raid that made the headlines and front page of NYT on Nov. 1.

It seems like they were ready to go to war to protect a mother ship, like the Rex, but then let its cover be blown, and not really care.

Bk

Bill,

http://books.google.com/books?hl=en&so...sa=N&tab=wp

The Bay of Pigs‎ - Page 210

Howard Jones - History - 2008 - 237 pages

905; Briefing sheet by Col. PA Wyman, Special Operations Division, SACSA, Jan. 29, 1964....

...and from your own blog post:

http://jfkcountercoup.blogspot.com/2009/01...ng-25-sept.html

.....16. After the JCS meeting Admiral Riley called Colonel Higgins into his office and read a letter from Mr. McGeorge Bundy which discussed secrecy measures necessary related to Cuba CIA operations. Admiral Riley directed Colonel Higgins to have the nature of this letter put out through SACSA control to SACSA contact points to insure an adequate system for secrecy within the military services. Admiral Riley stated he was returning the letter to Mr. Gilpatric as he did not want written communication by SACSA, but to put this out orally. This was transmitted to Colonel Wyman who will take the action to prepare an appropriate memorandum for the record to be filed with General Ingelido in accordance with further direction by Admiral Riley.

Now....a couple of curious details for you to possibly chew on. Lt. Col. PA Wyman, was an personal intimate of John Eisenhower during the latter's father's presidential administration. Wyman was chosen as sole godfather at the April, 1956 baptism of John Eisenhower's son, and Mrs. Wyman served as one of two co-godmothers. At the time of that baptism, Lt. Col. Wyman's residence is reported as in Norfolk, VA, an interesting post for a Lt. Col., unless he was USMC, and John Eisenhower was stationed at Ft. Belvoir, near Washington, DC.

The period around the time of that April 23, baptism was a busy one (from what has not been redacted) for president Eisenhower:

http://www.eisenhowermemorial.org/presiden...ogy/1956-04.htm

Presidential Papers > Chronology > April 1956

21 Washington. Appointments with S. Adams and G. D. Morgan; A. Whitman; Colonel A. J. Goodpaster, Jr.; R. Montgomery, R. R. Bowie, and K. McCann (off the record); E. T. Benson, G. D. Morgan, G. Hauge, and I. J. Martin. Departs for golf at Burning Tree Country Club with General O. N. Bradley, Major J. S. D. Eisenhower, and Colonel P. A. Wyman. To Statler Hotel with Mrs. Eisenhower to make television address at American Society of Newspaper Editors annual banquet. Following television address, makes off-the-record address to banquet.

22 Washington. [Page Missing.]

23 Washington. Appointments with B. M. Shanley; G. D. Morgan; Colonel A. J. Goodpaster, Jr.; H. W. Dodds, L. Carmichael, P. F. Brundage, S. Adams, and H. Pyle; S. Adams; B. M. Shanley and M. J. McCaffree; R. B. Anderson. Receives group from American Council on NATO. Other appointments with B. M. Shanley and Colonel W. H. Draper; J. W. Barker and W. L. Batt. Receives honorary membership in American Society of Mechanical Engineers. Other appointment with A. Nielsen. To swimming pool. Afternoon appointments with Colonel A. J. Goodpaster, Jr.; S. Adams; C. Burgess, W. K. Scott, R. D. Francis, S. Adams, General W. B. Persons, and Colonel A. J. Goodpaster, Jr.; B. M. Shanley, J. C. Hagerty, and Colonel W. H. Draper; A. W. Dulles and Colonel A. J. Goodpaster, Jr.; J. C. Hagerty. Practices golf on White House grounds. Evening appointment with S. Adams and Colonel W. H. Draper. Motors with J. C. Hager

In March, 1963, Brig. Gen. John Eisenhower suddenly resigned his officer's commission, forfeiting at 19 years of service, his pension for 20 years of service. He was selected at the time, to attend the War College in the fall, usually a sign of future promotion in rank. Eisenhower did not adequately explain his reasons for resigning, so close to pension eligibility:

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=ytETA...esign&hl=en

John Eisenhower Resigns From Army .Ike's Son Accepts Position With Ny...

Eugene Register-Guard - Google News Archive - Mar 25, 1963

President Dwight Eisenhower has submitted a letter of resignation from the Army and taken a position with a New York publishing firm. ...

Edited by Tom Scully

• 6 years later...

Bump - has anyone come up with anything new on Project Four Leaves?

Bill,

I know a lot of focus is put on it having to do with communications - and it may well do - but what specifically would such communications be about? My hunch is that this is all tied in with ICBMs are other military hardware.

Look to the symbolism of the four leaf clover for clues... Eve carried one out of the Garden of Eden... the beginning and the end... WWIII

• 2 weeks later...

Bill et al, I would be guessing Four Leaves may refer to plans for the Pine Gap ground satellite station near Alice Springs, introduced to Australia's Parliament in I think Dec 1965 as a DARPA project for something like "high altitude space research", but importantly for real time detection of Eurasian missile launches, nuclear tests etc. Pine Gap became important enough to overthrow Whitlam in 1975 when he started asking questions about CIA control of Pine Gap, AND important enough to pull the plug on Nugan Hand, dump Opp Leader Hayden for the more reliable Hawke in l983, so he could once more renew the treaty covering PG.

Going sideways with Larry’s suggestion of “FOUR LEAVES” having to do with “VELA” nuclear detection satellites, the letters in the word “VELA” are contained in the word “LEAVES”. Maybe someone had a clever anagram going here.

My personal metaphor re Four Leaves is the five-party UKUSA intelligence-sharing agreement (yeh right) between US, UK, Canada, Australia and NZ- the US of course being the stem to which all data flowed. Such a deal involving CIA satellites AND ground stations would serve many purposes, not least to mollify CIA and maybe even Curtis LeMay.