The Education Forum

Man in Cancellare

Borrowing from Robin's pic in the Purvis thread... cropping on the man with the hat...

Many people over the last year have commented that the man looks suspiciously like Howard Hunt. !

However the resolution of the photo does not give us a good look at a face, so we will never really know.

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/AAhunt1.jpg

Edited by Robin Unger

This is just going on memory from what may have been a clearer photo of the person: I couldn't help being struck by the similarity of the way Captain Robert Crowder, Texas Ranger, company B, Dallas 1963 set his mouth. Robert Crowder died of a heart attack on November 26, 1972 in Dallas, Texas

Guys,

I know that this picture and the identity of the person shown have been heavily discussed in the past on the forum, but I would like to add my" two cents worth" anyway, FWIW. After John Dolva mentioned Captain Crowder, I googled a picture of him sitting on his horse. Possibly some similarity there, but the bigger question is; did Captain Crowder say where he was in Dealey Plaza on Nov. 22, 1963? And, maybe more importantly wouldn't a Texas ranger wear his Stetson? Again, just some food for thought. Also, I might add, I'm not sure that my "two cents worth" would actually be appraised that high.

Terry

Edited by Terry Adams

The fellow above looks like an out-of-place Easterner, or somebody dolled up to look like one. That get-up is the all-weather spook uniform of the Hunt decades. A tweed hat, car coat, and a pipe used to be able to see an old intel hand through anything.

Note the Homburg on the head of the man ID'd on Houston Street, and later in Dealey, as John A. O'Hare. Another Easterner look - last seen on Humphrey Bogart in "Sabrina." Somebody bought a new hat for the occasion, and it's not a Stetson.

In the full version of the Dealey photo (Cancellare) at right above, Robertson and O'Hare seem to have latched on to an African-American bystander in a suit and hat, falling in step with him and using him as a "beard" to cross the center grassplot and reach the foot of the knoll. Again, they look like Easterners trying to blend in with locals. Otherwise...why would that guy be walking in step with Robertson and O'Hare?... I wish I could post the full shot, but my copy is huge.

Edited by David Andrews

Guys,

I know that this picture and the identity of the person shown have been heavily discussed in the past on the forum, but I would like to add my" two cents worth" anyway, FWIW. After John Dolva mentioned Captain Crowder, I googled a picture of him sitting on his horse. Possibly some similarity there, but the bigger question is; did Captain Crowder say where he was in Dealey Plaza on Nov. 22, 1963? And, maybe more importantly wouldn't a Texas ranger wear his Stetson? Again, just some food for thought. Also, I might add, I'm not sure that my "two cents worth" would actually be appraised that high.

Terry

No that's quite reasonable...if I wanted people to recognise me as one. Funnily enough the Texas Rangers (who weren't far away, have never (to my knowledge) been discussed.

That's a strange grouping in the detail of Robertson, O'Hare, and a dark-skinned bystander in the large Cancellare above. Is that an African-American or a Cuban? Did the Agency twins fall in step with him, as I offered previously - or is he joining step with Robertson? Even in the immediate wake of the tragedy, it's unusual to see this cross-racial grouping in the South of 1963 - or, for that matter, in the North of that time as well. (This poster born 1959, with a long memory.)

Edited by David Andrews