The Education Forum

"Havana Nocturne: How the Mob Owned Cuba and then Lost it to the Revolution" by T. J. Enclish

This is a great read on the mafia's domination of Cuban gambling and, to a certain extent, politics prior to the seizure of power January 1, 1959 by the July 26 revolutionaries.

It focuses primarily on Meyer Lansky's role, with only a modest treatment of Santo Trafficante's involvement. I need to read Scott Deitche's second book (I have read his first one on organized crime in Tampa), which addresses Trafficante.

Nonetheless, it is a well-researched treatment of a very elusive mob figure, whom I find to be fairly facinating.

We seem to take it as a fact that the mob controlled Cuban gambling operations when discussing the Cuban political dynamic in the context of the JFK assassination, but it is nice to know some of the specifics.

The book is well-written and easy to read.

This is a great read on the mafia's domination of Cuban gambling and, to a certain extent, politics prior to the seizure of power January 1, 1959 by the July 26 revolutionaries.

It focuses primarily on Meyer Lansky's role, with only a modest treatment of Santo Trafficante's involvement. I need to read Scott Deitche's second book (I have read his first one on organized crime in Tampa), which addresses Trafficante.

Nonetheless, it is a well-researched treatment of a very elusive mob figure, whom I find to be fairly facinating.

We seem to take it as a fact that the mob controlled Cuban gambling operations when discussing the Cuban political dynamic in the context of the JFK assassination, but it is nice to know some of the specifics.

The book is well-written and easy to read.

It's a great book, TJ did a ton of research. He came to Tampa a few times. I set him up with good sources who gave him some first-hand accounts of workign for Lansky in Havana, as well as some Trafficante info.

I go into more detail about Trafficante's CUban activities in The Silent Don, than I did in the first one. BUt TJ does the best at encompassing all the mob's activities on the island pre-Castro.