The Education Forum

The Rifle found in the Texas School Book Depository

John Simkin

In an article published in The Village Voice on 26th April 1976, Dick Russell points out that the first police reports described the weapon found in the Texas School Book Depository as a German 7.65 Mauser bolt-action rifle. However, the Warren Commission concluded that the only rifle that Oswald owned was a “6.5 Mannlicher-Carcano”.

The article deals with the release of 1,466 pages of CIA files in April 1976. It includes a CIA analysis of the rifle that was used dated 28th November, 1963: “The weapon which appears to have been employed in this criminal attack is a Model 91 rifle, 7.35-caliber, 1938 modification.”

The CIA report goes on to say that “the Italian military authorities decided to eliminate all the Model 91’s (6.5 and 7.35 calibers)”. The report goes on to say that an American company undertook to purchase and modify some 100,000 of these rifles: “The first lot of 7,000 Model 91s which Adam (Company) put on the American market had disastrous results. Many of them burst, with frequently fatal consequences, and many did not fire. This forced Adam to withdraw all the rifles from sale and check them before putting them back on the market.”

How do members explain this identification problem?

Has Deputy Sheriff Roger Craig's identification of the 6th floor rifle as a 7.65 Mauser been discussed elsewhere on the Forum over the years?

Craig, as I imagine you all know, spoke clearly about this on camera (also in 1976) in Mark Lane's documentary Two Men in Dallas.

Lane's film is on YouTube in five clips. This second clip contains Craig's discussion of what was found on the 6ht floor:

Craig's account on its face strikes me as awfully persuasive, and Lane (in same clip) goes on to support it with some documentation and chat.

??

Edited by William Ney

Guest Tom Scully
Has Deputy Sheriff Roger Craig's identification of the 6th floor rifle as a 7.65 Mauser been discussed elsewhere on the Forum over the years?

Craig, as I imagine you all know, spoke clearly about this on camera (also in 1976) in Mark Lane's documentary Two Men in Dallas.

Lane's film is on YouTube in five clips. This second clip contains Craig's discussion of what was found on the 6ht floor:

Craig's account on its face strikes me as awfully persuasive, and Lane (in same clip) goes on to support it with some documentation and chat.

??

"Roger Craig" http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.ph...mauser&st=0

....in post #21: http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.ph...st&p=131778

Edited by Tom Scully