The Education Forum

• 1 month later...

John,

I seldom check any forums on this site other than the JFK and Political Conspiracies ones. Thus, I know I am really late in extending my deepest condolences to you over the loss of your wife.

It certainly sounds like she was a special lady. Again, forgive me for offering such belated sympathy.

Btw, I also think the poem you shared with us was brilliant.

John,

I seldom check any forums on this site other than the JFK and Political Conspiracies ones. Thus, I know I am really late in extending my deepest condolences to you over the loss of your wife.

It certainly sounds like she was a special lady. Again, forgive me for offering such belated sympathy.

Thank you for your kind comments. Members might wish to know that the St Barnabas Hospice received over £1,250 as a result of my posting about the death of Judith.

John,

Thank you for your kind comments. Members might wish to know that the St Barnabas Hospice received over £1,250 as a result of my posting about the death of Judith.

I have also just been made aware of your recent loss and apologize for the belated sympathies as well.

You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. I will make a donation in her name to St Barnabas Hospice later this week.

• 1 year later...

Judith left this poem for me to find after her death:

Miss Me But Let Me Go

When I come to the end of the road

And the sun has set for me,

I want no rites in a gloom-filled room.

Why cry for a soul that is free?

Miss me a little, but not too long

And not with your head bowed low,

Remember the love

that we once shared

Miss me-but let me go.

For this is a journey

that we all must take,

And each must go alone,

It's all a part of the master plan

A step on the road home.

When you are lonely and sick of heart,

Go to the friends we know.

And bury your sorrows

in doing good deeds,

Miss me-but let me go.

I have just found out the author of this poem. It is Edgar Albert Guest (August 20, 1881, Birmingham, England – August 5, 1959, Detroit, Michigan). He was a prolific American poet who was popular in the first half of the 20th century and became known as the People’s Poet. His poems were published in newspapers and "Miss me - but let me go" was circulated amongst soldiers fighting on the Western Front. It appears that they often sent the poems back to loved ones in America. As they usually left off the name of the poet, it is generally thought that we do not know who wrote it.

Judith left this poem for me to find after her death:

Miss Me But Let Me Go

When I come to the end of the road

And the sun has set for me,

I want no rites in a gloom-filled room.

Why cry for a soul that is free?

Miss me a little, but not too long

And not with your head bowed low,

Remember the love

that we once shared

Miss me-but let me go.

For this is a journey

that we all must take,

And each must go alone,

It's all a part of the master plan

A step on the road home.

When you are lonely and sick of heart,

Go to the friends we know.

And bury your sorrows

in doing good deeds,

Miss me-but let me go.

I have just found out the author of this poem. It is Edgar Albert Guest (August 20, 1881, Birmingham, England – August 5, 1959, Detroit, Michigan). He was a prolific American poet who was popular in the first half of the 20th century and became known as the People’s Poet. His poems were published in newspapers and "Miss me - but let me go" was circulated amongst soldiers fighting on the Western Front. It appears that they often sent the poems back to loved ones in America. As they usually left off the name of the poet, it is generally thought that we do not know who wrote it.

My own thoughts, thanks for posting it.