The Education Forum

Silvia Odio a New Look

A few years ago, when I visited the 6th Floor Museum, Gary Mack was very helpful in providing me with access to information held dealing with Maj. General Edwin Anderson Walker. On the same trip I was allowed access to the Walker collection stored at the Univ. of Texas. I do not remember exactly which collection it was from but there was an outline, written by Walker's secretary, detailing what had been bookmarked by Walker in his copies of the 26 volumns of supporting commission evidence.

The outline was general...with very little information provided except vol. and page. Upon reviewing this information further I was surprized to find that a large number of the references marked had to do with the Silvia Odio event. A year or so later the Bugliosi book came out and we find that the ONE area that admitidly stumped the BUG was the Silvio Odio case. I thought this interesting that both Walker and Bugliosi seemed to find some common interest in this subject but at the time I filed this information away and have not had cause to reconsider it until the past couple of days.

Believe me I am no expert on the subject of Silvia Odio but a quick review brings up the names of Bernardo De Torres and Edwin Collins. These two men, it seems, may have been the two persons that accompanied "Leon" (assumed to be Oswald) to the home of Silvia Odio.

Without revealing my complete interest I am drawn to the fact that it seems that Gerry Hemming was involved closely with both Collins and De Torres.

Without reinventing the wheel does this seem to be the accepted consensus, that Hemming was involved with these men?

If so this new avenue seems to potentially support another thread of my patchwork assassination story.

It seems that Hemming is a man that knew both MG Walker and had met Oswald prior to Oswald departing for the Soviet Union. If Hemming was also associated with two men that were with Oswald when he visits Odio it would seem possible that all these people may fit into one "compartment" or series of intelligence "compartments" that are connected and that they were Oswald's fellow travelers as Oswald journeyed toward Mexico City.

Of course this supports where I have been going with my research but where it then leads may surprize alot of people. For myself it sheds light on a speculated upon but missing piece to my puzzle.

Please provide any thoughts/leads that any of you may have on the Silvia Odio/Collins/De Torres/Hemming connections.

Jim Root

Hi Jim,

Just to clarify things, it was many years ago now that I suggested the 'Leopoldo' character in the Sylvia Odio affair was Bernardo De Torres. GPH agreed with this and later said same to Joan Mellon.

I was also the one who suggested that Ed Collins be looked at as a candidate for 'Angel'. GPH vehemently disagreed with this and ultimately offered up Angel Murgado as being this individual. Joan Mellon followed up and wrote about it which then sparked much debate here.

I have serious doubts that Murgado was involved.

Ed Collins was a member of the Interpen group and trained men on No Name Key. He was part of the extreme right wing and had associations amongst the KKK and JBS. Collins died in 1964 under suspect conditions and there was some suggestion that GPH and Steve Wilson knew more than what they said publically.

I submit that Ed Collins was the man calling himself Lee Harvey Oswald in Montreal during late summer of 1963. He had infiltrated a peace march that was to start in Canada and end in Guantanamo. The Canadian controller for this being Robert Emmett Johnson who knew Collins from Miami.

Collins was also an associate of Felipe Vidal Santiago and both men where injured in a suspect boat explosion that they ultimately survived. This happened in December of 1963 and also involved the journalist Dickey Chapelle. The rumors were that this was an attempt on their lives by one Col. Bishop after Vidal had given an interview to Chapelle which to this day has not surfaced.

I am far from convinced that Collins was Angel but I submit the De Torres identification is solid.

De Torres was also well known to the Interpen group and had close associations with William Seymour and Dennis Harber. Harber is someone who remains under researched as he knew Gen. Walker well and was a regular visitor. Again, rumor has it that Harber was visiting Walker at the time of the so-called attempt on his life.

De Torres was also an associate of an unknown Cuban exile who I submit was photographed by Jim Murray in Dealey Plaza during the immediate aftermath of the assassination.

De Torres and Collins below.

FWIW.

James

James

Thank you for your reply.

Perhaps I can pick your brain for a few more thoughts.'

"De Torres was also well known to the Interpen group and had close associations with William Seymour and Dennis Harber. Harber is someone who remains under researched as he knew Gen. Walker well and was a regular visitor. Again, rumor has it that Harber was visiting Walker at the time of the so-called attempt on his life."

I have a copy of a Dec. 2005 email from someone named "Tom" that suggests that in an interview, shortly before his death, Hilaire du Berrier claimed to have been at Gen. Walker's home when the "errant gunshot crashed through Walker's Dallas home." Seems it may be possible that several people may have been around. I have seen numerous pieces of correspondence between du Berrier and Walker to know that they were very familiar with one another and corresponded regularly. Du Berrier was a person that Walker turned to when his "Pro Blue Program" came under fire seeking guidance to understand why he was being "burned" by US Intelligence. Any idea who "Tom" may have been?

GPH suggested to me that Du Berrier was a close associate and said, "Our ongoing relationship with Hilaire D.B. was extensive" in a note where he said Walker had in fact been "... a member of the "Team" which inserted Oswald (and other persons of interest) into the USSR."

Seems to be no doubt that Hemming/Collins/De Torres were all somewhat associated with Walker as well as with each other.

So why do we find these same people comming together as Oswald travels to Mexico City?

And how solid is the official story of Oswald in Mexico City???????

Jim Root

Edited by Jim Root

Hi Jim,

First off let me congratulate you on the work you are doing. You are the voice of reason amongst the insanity and I do believe what you are doing will help get to the heart of this conspiracy.

No idea who "Tom" is but Hilaire du Berrier is definitely someone worth pursuing. He was indeed close to Walker but I don't know if he was there during the so-called assassination attempt.

Hilaire du Berrier was responsible for initiating a story regarding a young guy pulling up in front of Walker's house and throwing a US flag down on the lawn - a young man who resembled Oswald. The vehicle he was driving was a late 1950's blue and white Mercury. This tied into another story which was reported to the Feds regarding Oswald, Marina and the kids pulling up in the same type of vehicle and visiting a furniture store looking to get some work done on a rifle - the store once having a gun department.

Hilaire du Berrier also involved himself in the RFK assassination saying that Kennedy's visit to a synogogue was the reason why he was killed. Du Berrier spent some time in California regarding this and allegedly visited the Camarillo Ranch - why, I have no idea but there is some material here on this forum regarding that location.

Hilaire du Berrier and a man named Dwight Coffman at one time were described as chief foreign affairs advisers to George Wallace. Du Berrier was also on intel duties in Algeria and worked with Jean Souetre. All in all, some curious associations.

As to the official story of Oswald in Mexico, I do not think he was there but instead visiting Sylvia Odio. I submit Oswald was in Mexico during late July of 1963 with Richard Case Nagell.

FWIW.

James

Believe me I am no expert on the subject of Silvia Odio but a quick review brings up the names of Bernardo De Torres and Edwin Collins. These two men, it seems, may have been the two persons that accompanied "Leon" (assumed to be Oswald) to the home of Silvia Odio.

Without revealing my complete interest I am drawn to the fact that it seems that Gerry Hemming was involved closely with both Collins and De Torres.

Without reinventing the wheel does this seem to be the accepted consensus, that Hemming was involved with these men?

If so this new avenue seems to potentially support another thread of my patchwork assassination story.

Like Jim and James I have been very interested in Edwin Collins for some time. I tried to interview Gerry P. Hemming about Collins on this forum. As everyone knows, Gerry was rarely straight-forward in his answers. I always found that he was the most informative if he lost his temper. When I suggested he might have been involved in the death of Collins he retorted on the 27th August, 2005:

Edwin Anderson Collins was murdered by Castro "fellow-travelers" upon their discovery of his identity, and just a few weeks after he was tasked to penetrate their "protest march" from Canada, down the east coast, and on to Havana, and GITMO. Steve Wilson and I identified his body at the Medical Examiner's morgue, and when I questioned an assistant there as to the severe lacerations, cuts and bruises on Eddy's face and scalp - he responded that: "This was most likely due to crabs and other critters munching on the corpse post-mortem!!"

Upon my questioning exactly how a corpse (in salt water) might continue to bleed, acquire bruises, and suffer contusions and edema after only 8 hours + in Biscayne Bay (400 yards off the docks of Dinner Key & City Hall) - police detectives Tony Fontana and Bill Cloy charged into the room demanding to know our purposes.

Eddy Collins was one of our best swimmers, as evidenced when he was blown overboard (sans UDT the same life jacket he is pictured wearing in the No Name Key pix) - along with Dickey Chappelle, Hargraves, and Felipe Vidal on a Cuba run during early 1964.

Wilson and I tracked down the now hiding boat crew a few days later, and with less than Abu-Ghraib measures, thoroughly "interviewed" them.

Their "official" story to the police was that Eddy was drunk and that he had dived overboard to recover a dinghy which had cast adrift that night. Despite witnesses ashore reporting screams beforehand - they had insisted that had he uttered one sound they could have turned the boat around, located and recovered him. (They admitted to the police that they had motored to the dock, and "immediately" called the police??) The live-aboard boaters and shrimpers who already knew Eddy over the years, wondered about the great discrepancies in timing, especially the police report (initial call) showing that this was made some 45 minutes after the boaters heard the screams and turned on their searchlights (evidenced in their official log books). They had asked the "hippies" what was going on only 5 minutes after the screams, and just after the "protestor" boat was being tied to the dock.

Eddy Collins had been recruited by FBI agents (MIA/FO), and John Evans of the "Johns Committee" (Red-Squad) in Tallahassee - to assist in monitoring the "peace marchers". The "Mounties" (R.C.M.P.) had inserted two assets into the group in Canada, and one of these had operated together with one of our guys, who, the year previous, had worked a joint CSS/RCMP/FBI operation involving Nicaraguans, Cubans, and other foreign nationals embarking on a mission to attend training camps inside Cuba.

The day of the JFK assassination, Jim Lewis was [as usual] playing Chess at "Little Joe's" apartment by the Miami River - together with Eddy Collins, "Skinny", Dick Whatley, Bobby Willis, and Bill Dempsey. When Garman started dancing in the street soon after hearing the news from Dallas, Jim chastised him severely (along with Cuban pissed-off neighbors); He reminded him that just four days before; he had been a member of our security detail for JFK at MIA (Monday, 18th Nov.), and that he had been prepared to "take-a-bullet" for the President!!

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/JFKcollinsE.htm

Like Jim and James I have been very interested in Edwin Collins for some time. I tried to interview Gerry P. Hemming about Collins on this forum. As everyone knows, Gerry was rarely straight-forward in his answers. I always found that he was the most informative if he lost his temper. When I suggested he might have been involved in the death of Collins he retorted on the 27th August, 2005:

Edwin Anderson Collins was murdered by Castro "fellow-travelers" upon their discovery of his identity, and just a few weeks after he was tasked to penetrate their "protest march" from Canada, down the east coast, and on to Havana, and GITMO. Steve Wilson and I identified his body at the Medical Examiner's morgue, and when I questioned an assistant there as to the severe lacerations, cuts and bruises on Eddy's face and scalp - he responded that: "This was most likely due to crabs and other critters munching on the corpse post-mortem!!"

Upon my questioning exactly how a corpse (in salt water) might continue to bleed, acquire bruises, and suffer contusions and edema after only 8 hours + in Biscayne Bay (400 yards off the docks of Dinner Key & City Hall) - police detectives Tony Fontana and Bill Cloy charged into the room demanding to know our purposes.

Eddy Collins was one of our best swimmers, as evidenced when he was blown overboard (sans UDT the same life jacket he is pictured wearing in the No Name Key pix) - along with Dickey Chappelle, Hargraves, and Felipe Vidal on a Cuba run during early 1964.

Wilson and I tracked down the now hiding boat crew a few days later, and with less than Abu-Ghraib measures, thoroughly "interviewed" them.

Their "official" story to the police was that Eddy was drunk and that he had dived overboard to recover a dinghy which had cast adrift that night. Despite witnesses ashore reporting screams beforehand - they had insisted that had he uttered one sound they could have turned the boat around, located and recovered him. (They admitted to the police that they had motored to the dock, and "immediately" called the police??) The live-aboard boaters and shrimpers who already knew Eddy over the years, wondered about the great discrepancies in timing, especially the police report (initial call) showing that this was made some 45 minutes after the boaters heard the screams and turned on their searchlights (evidenced in their official log books). They had asked the "hippies" what was going on only 5 minutes after the screams, and just after the "protestor" boat was being tied to the dock.

Eddy Collins had been recruited by FBI agents (MIA/FO), and John Evans of the "Johns Committee" (Red-Squad) in Tallahassee - to assist in monitoring the "peace marchers". The "Mounties" (R.C.M.P.) had inserted two assets into the group in Canada, and one of these had operated together with one of our guys, who, the year previous, had worked a joint CSS/RCMP/FBI operation involving Nicaraguans, Cubans, and other foreign nationals embarking on a mission to attend training camps inside Cuba.

The day of the JFK assassination, Jim Lewis was [as usual] playing Chess at "Little Joe's" apartment by the Miami River - together with Eddy Collins, "Skinny", Dick Whatley, Bobby Willis, and Bill Dempsey. When Garman started dancing in the street soon after hearing the news from Dallas, Jim chastised him severely (along with Cuban pissed-off neighbors); He reminded him that just four days before; he had been a member of our security detail for JFK at MIA (Monday, 18th Nov.), and that he had been prepared to "take-a-bullet" for the President!!

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/JFKcollinsE.htm

Montreal Peace Marchers :

Because of an allegation that Oswald was in Montreal distributing Fair Play for Cuba pamphlets in the summer of 1963, the Warren Commission received photos of Montreal peace marchers in Commission Document 729. The second set of photos, from Commission Document 87, shown here is from a Walk for Peace in August 1963.

http://www.maryferrell.org/wiki/index.php/...e_Marchers_-_p1

A few years ago, when I visited the 6th Floor Museum, Gary Mack was very helpful in providing me with access to information held dealing with Maj. General Edwin Anderson Walker. On the same trip I was allowed access to the Walker collection stored at the Univ. of Texas. I do not remember exactly which collection it was from but there was an outline, written by Walker's secretary, detailing what had been bookmarked by Walker in his copies of the 26 volumns of supporting commission evidence.

The outline was general...with very little information provided except vol. and page. Upon reviewing this information further I was surprized to find that a large number of the references marked had to do with the Silvia Odio event. A year or so later the Bugliosi book came out and we find that the ONE area that admitidly stumped the BUG was the Silvio Odio case. I thought this interesting that both Walker and Bugliosi seemed to find some common interest in this subject but at the time I filed this information away and have not had cause to reconsider it until the past couple of days.

It seems that Hemming is a man that knew both MG Walker and had met Oswald prior to Oswald departing for the Soviet Union. If Hemming was also associated with two men that were with Oswald when he visits Odio it would seem possible that all these people may fit into one "compartment" or series of intelligence "compartments" that are connected and that they were Oswald's fellow travelers as Oswald journeyed toward Mexico City.

Of course this supports where I have been going with my research but where it then leads may surprize alot of people. For myself it sheds light on a speculated upon but missing piece to my puzzle.

Please provide any thoughts/leads that any of you may have on the Silvia Odio/Collins/De Torres/Hemming connections.

Jim Root

It may be a long shot, but what are the chances that Edwin Anderson Collins and Edwin Anderson Walker both associate in right wing circles and both likely are in Dallas at the same time....

Any chance that they might be related....?

Where was E.A. Collins born?

Where was E.A. Walker traveling on or about 11/22/1963?

Hmmm.......

Hi Antti

Walker was traveling by plane into Shreveport, LA at the time of the assassination. Apparently he announced who he was to the passengers and had the pilot sign his ticket after the annoucnement of the assassination had been made. Walker would stay at the the Captain Shreve Hotel where, at 7:00am the following morning he would conduct the first of two interviews with a German publication that would break the Oswald/Wallker shooting story.

Jim Root

Walker was traveling by plane into Shreveport, LA at the time of the assassination. Apparently he announced who he was to the passengers and had the pilot sign his ticket after the annoucnement of the assassination had been made.

Interestingly, Edwin Anderson Collins was born in Shreveport, Louisiana.

(from various gardening sites)

"Shreveport is a delightful city built on rolling hills that are used to full advantage in the beautifully designed gardens, many of which are built around fine Camellia collections."

"Camellias have been part of ... Southern gardens for many generations. Their graceful plant forms, majestic foliage, and winter blooming characteristics (October +) make Camellias a perfect choice for every southern garden." ... in Shreveport the 'Dixie Knights' variety of Camellia Japonica grows well.

Yeah, I reckon the Camellias has something to do with it. Often traditionally it's white with a yellow spot (I suppose in full bloom by november?) and in that area in particular the Knights of the White Camellia KKK probably had a few here and there. (From memory one of the gardens was called Magnolia something.)

Yeah, I reckon the Camellias has something to do with it. Often traditionally it's white with a yellow spot (I suppose in full bloom by november?) and in that area in particular the Knights of the White Camellia KKK probably had a few here and there. (From memory one of the gardens was called Magnolia something.)

I think he was a pansy (I mean patsy).

Trying to bring this back on track some thoughts from Vincent Bugliosi:

"I would come to believe after the London trial that the very remote possibility of anti-Castro Cuban exiles being involved with Oswald in the assassination, even if in the most tangential of ways, was the only conspiracy possibility in the entire case that had any merit." Reclaiming History Pg 1335

"...I feel that the slight preponderance of evidence is that Oswald was, in fact, the American among the three men who visited Odio. I say that for several reasons. One is that there is, as trial lawyers like to say, that unmistakable 'ring of truth' to Odio's tetimony." Reclaiming History Pg 1309

"Although we have seen that the evidence of time and place compels the conclusion that Oswald could not have visited Odio on September 26 or 27, 1963, and most probably did not do so on September 25, there nevertheless are countervailing reasons why we cannot automatically dismiss Odio's allegations---namely, her credibility and corroborating evidence." Reclaiming History Pg 1307

"The HSCA, after a thorough evaluation of all the evidence, stated that 'the committee was inclined to believe Sylvia Odio' to the extent that 'three men did visit her apartment in Dallas prior to the Kennedy assassination and identified themselves as members of an anti-Castro organization,' and that 'one of these men at least looked like Lee harvey Oswald and was introduced to Mrs. Odio as Leon Oswald." Reclaiming History Pg 1308

"The likelihood is that the event Odio described did, in fact, take place, most probably on the evening of September 24 or 25, 1963. In an April 28, 1964, letter to J. Edgar Hoover, Rankin, general counsel for the Warren Commission, wrote that 'the only time (oswald) could have been in odio's apartment appears to be the nights of September 24 or 25, 1963, most likely the latter.'

"With respect to September 24, teh Warrren Commission concluded that t'under normal procedue' Oswald could not have received his Tesas unemployment compensation check in New Orleans, which was dated and mailed on Monday, September 23, 1963, before 5:00 am on September 25, 1963, a Wednesday. However, marina told the FBI that Oswald received his unemployment check ever Tuesday. In fact, the Warren Commission itself sadi that Oswald cashed the previous week's check at the Dixie Store in New Orleans on Tuesday, September 17, 1963. If, then, Oswald had received his next check on Tuesday, September 24, it's possible he cashed it at the Winn-Dixie Store between 8:00 am and 1:00 pm on that day, not, as believed, the following day, Wednesday, September 25."

Reclaiming History Pg 1310

"In fact, Marina told the Warren Commission that Oswald told her he intended to leave New Orleans the very next day after her departure on September 23, 2963, that is, September 24."

Reclaiming History Pg 1311

"This September 24, 1963, scenario would also be compatible with Mrs. Twiford's belief that she sensed Oswald was calling her 'from the Houston area,' somewhere 'between seven and ten o'clock' in the evening. (If Oswald and teh Cubans were at odio's door on September 25, however, since the incident took place at 9:00 pm in Dallas, he could not have called Twiford fromt eh Houston area that evening)." Reclaiming History Pg 1311

"Since the weight of the evidence in the Odio case is that the event Odio described did, in fact, take place, the countervailing evidence prompting the inference that her story is not believable should yield. it yeilds in this case, in my view, by accepting the probability that the seemingly airtight case the Warren Commission fairly and effectively constructed against Odio's story is somewhere defective, be it in teh documentary evidence (e.g. as to the earliest time oswald could have received his unemployment check in New Orleans) or the recollection of witnesses as to the dates and times they saw or spoke to Oswald (e.g. the affidavit of Mr. and Mrs. Mcfarland and Mrs. Twiford, etc) which would not be uncommon at all." Reclaiming History Pg 1311

"The very absence of any witness or record that oswald used commercial transportation out of New Orleans is itself at least some circumstantial evidence that he did not do so and goes in the direction of supporting the conclusion that Oswald left New Orleans with the two Latins, and was at Odio's door on teh evening of September 24 or 25, 1963." Reclaiming History Pg 1312

"Among others, Wesley Liebler, who examined her for the Warren Commission, said, 'I think Odio believes that Oswald was there. I do not think she would lie about something like that.' Assistant Counsel W. David Slawson, whose area of investigation for the Warren Commission was the psooibility of a conspiracy in the assassination, wrote in his report to the Commission that, 'Mrs. Odio has been checked out thoroughly through her psychiatrist and friends, and, with one exception - a layman not identified who speculates that she may have subconcious tendencies to over-dramitize or exaggerate-the evidence is unanimously favorable, both as to her character and reliability and as to her intelligence.'....a Warren Commission staff reprt noted that 'Doctor Burton Einspruch(Odio's psychiatrist) stated thathe had great faith in Miss odio's stroy of having met Lee Harvey Oswald,' believing the story to be 'completely true." Reclaiming History Pg. 1307

And finally

"...W. David Slawson and William Coleman, assistant counsels for the Warren Commission whose area of investigation was foreign conspiracy...In a June 1964 memorandum to the Commission titled 'Oswald's Foreign Activities: summary of Evidence Which Might Be Said to Show That Ther Was Foreign Involvement in the Assassination of President Kennedy,' they postulated a scenario that might consitute a conspiracy in a low school examination, but might fall short of a chargeable conspiracy in the real world. They wrote that anti-Castro Cubans in New Orleans. aware of Oswald's pro-Castro sympathies, and realizing that if anything happened the public at large would also learn of them, and perhaps sensing Oswald's prechant for violence, 'encouraged' Oswald to kill the predident when he came to Dallas, perhaps even deceiving him into believing thaey misgh assist him afterward in his excape." Reclaiming History Pg. 1315

In my story someone had to have given Oswald a telephone number in Raliegh, North Carolina. Oswald himself told his brother that he had "friends." I was surprised to find that two assisstant counsels for the Warren Commission could suggest that which I believe to be the case. If as some believe, Hemming, Collins, Torres, et al were involved in the Odio case, then it would be intelligence cells closely linked to the same group that I have suggested may have conspired to kill Kenndy.

Did these men provide Oswald with a phone number in Raliegh, NC and did they suggest he ask for John Hurt?

If so I can once again tighten my noose.

Jim Root

In attempting to answer a William Kelly question about James Patrick Hosty I ran accross this quote in his testimony:

"Mr. HOSTY. On October 3, 1963, I received a communication from our New Orleans office advising that Lee Oswald and his wife Marina Oswald had left the New Orleans area a short time before. According to the communication, Marina Oswald, who was at that time 8 months pregnant, had left New Orleans with her small child, 2-year-old child, in a station wagon with a Texas license plate driven by a woman who could speak the Russian language. Lee Oswald had remained behind and then disappeared the next day. I was requested to attempt to locate Lee and Marina Oswald."

This would suggest that the FBI was clearly aware that Oswald had left New Orleans on September 24, 1963 not as the Warren Commission Report implies that Oswald could not have left before September 25th.

Was there an attempt to discredit the Odio testimony? Why would that be necessary?

I can suggest some answers that are consistant with each area (Flight from London to Helsinki, Hosty's 3rd note, Raleigh Call) of information left out of the Warren Commission Report.

Jim Root