The Education Forum

The CIA attacks the Education Forum

In Don Bohning's article in The Intelligencer: Journal of U.S. Intelligence Studies (Volume 16 – Number 2 – Fall 2008) he attempts to argue that Quintero was not involved in CIA sponsored attempts to kill Castro.

As an intelligence gathering unit, Operation 40 became, and remains, a controversial topic within the South Florida Cuban exile community, many of whom it spied upon. The late Rafael Quintero - who Simkin erroneously identifies as a member of his non-existent Operation 40 - is among those who expressed concern because of the vast files of information the group collected on the Cuban community and the potential for blackmail with that information.

"When the Bay of Pigs went kaput, they stayed as a group and Sanjenis became a very, very dangerous and powerful guy in Miami because he had a file on everybody… whose wife was whose lover, how much money etc... Some people tried to use that for blackmail," Quintero said in a April 2003 interview with me. "Actually, nobody knows where those files are. It's a big question mark." Operation 40 was shutdown in the early 1970s as part of the phase-out of active CIA sponsored anti-Castro activity. Quintero, who died in 2006, also asked that he not be identified by name in my book because of Operation 40's controversial nature in South Florida's Cuban community.

Tim Weiner wrote in the New York Times (19th October, 2006) that Quintero told him that he signed up with the CIA in 1960 and that he "worked against Cuba side by side with Attorney General Robert F. Kennedy in the days when the United States tried to kill Mr. Castro. Years later, Mr. Quintero conspired with Lt. Col. Oliver L. North against the Sandinista government of Nicaragua."

In his book Manhunt: The Incredible Pursuit of a CIA Agent Turned Terrorist, Peter Maas mentions Carl Jenkins as Quintero's case officer prior to the Bay of Pigs. Quintero was part of an advance team sent in before the invasion by Jenkins. Afterwards Tom Clines would assume a case officer role for Quintero, who would go on make to a number of sabotage and assassination missions into Cuba.

Larry Hancock has done considerable research into Quintero's relationship with Carl Jenkins, a senior figure in the CIA. He writes about this in "Someone Would Have Talked".

Research confirms that beyond a doubt, Carl Jenkins was indeed a senior CIA officer who worked on paramilitary activities in support of the Bay of Pigs project and that by 1963-64 he was indeed directly involved with the AM/WORLD project, with Artime (AM/BIDDY) and Quintero (AM/JAVA-4).

In September, 1963 Jenkins wrote a general memo describing Artime's operational philosophy and concepts. This summarized his views about commando teams, infiltration teams, and guerrilla actions. The memo addresses military operations as Artime conceives them to be organized and conducted under a single organization (AM/WORLD) in which the Cubans can have faith. In a section on Commandos, there is discussion of the use of abductions and assassinations targeted against Cuban G-2 intelligence informants, agents, officers, and foreign Communists to raise the morale of people inside Cuba.'

In December, 1964, Jenkins prepared a summary report of Quintero's visit to Europe for a dialogue with Rolando Cubela in preparation for further meetings with Artime. The goal of this meeting was to develop contacts with a group inside Cuba which was capable of "eliminating Fidel Castro and of seizing and holding Havana, at least for an appreciable time that would be sufficient to justify recognition."'

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Targeting this Forum is not new IMO.

So can we assume your buddy Drago who helped divide, keeps attacking and makes claims (he refuses to produce evidence for) against the forum is in Stalin's parlance "a useful idiot"?

IMO YOU are the PRIME example of the type of entity targeting this Forum, not CD.

Can you point to any example of when I have attacked the forum, its administrators or moderators. To my recollection I criticized John two or three times several years ago when I though he was being unfair. One of those times I was wrong and admitted it. CD on the other hand has repeatedly attacked the moderators Andy and John and the forum itself (implying it was a CIA front). He has also leveled accusations he has proven unwilling to document. Why don’t you ask the administrators and moderators who they think has been more disruptive me or your buddy Drago? Actually you don’t have to ask they’ve made their views clear.

You are also off topic, diverting this thread,

Ironic that someone who repeatedly makes off topic posts such as his (your) recent rant about the Kennedy assassination on a thread about a very specific 9/11 topic (the Harritt paper) would level such an accusation. This thread is about a recent attack on this forum by a CIA asset, my post was about recent attacks on this forum one of which referring to the CIA attack said it “was to save the forum’s fading credentials”.

…only posted on it when I mentioned someone who has opinions on everything had not posting here [on another thread - interesting you felt I was addressing you - says it all], playing games here,

Who is playing games here? You obviously were referring to me even if you didn’t mention me by name. Funny that you ironized that I didn’t reply and now complain because I have, ‘heads you win, tails I lose’.

I…would even suggest your posts be expunged here - they are off topic and ad homs, to boot.

LOL This from a self-proclaimed champion of “free speech”. My posts were neither you don’t even seem to know what the latter means, try Google.

In Don Bohning's article in The Intelligencer: Journal of U.S. Intelligence Studies (Volume 16 – Number 2 – Fall 2008) he attempts to argue that Quintero was not involved in CIA sponsored attempts to kill Castro.

As an intelligence gathering unit, Operation 40 became, and remains, a controversial topic within the South Florida Cuban exile community, many of whom it spied upon. The late Rafael Quintero - who Simkin erroneously identifies as a member of his non-existent Operation 40 - is among those who expressed concern because of the vast files of information the group collected on the Cuban community and the potential for blackmail with that information.

"When the Bay of Pigs went kaput, they stayed as a group and Sanjenis became a very, very dangerous and powerful guy in Miami because he had a file on everybody… whose wife was whose lover, how much money etc... Some people tried to use that for blackmail," Quintero said in a April 2003 interview with me. "Actually, nobody knows where those files are. It's a big question mark." Operation 40 was shutdown in the early 1970s as part of the phase-out of active CIA sponsored anti-Castro activity. Quintero, who died in 2006, also asked that he not be identified by name in my book because of Operation 40's controversial nature in South Florida's Cuban community.

Tim Weiner wrote in the New York Times (19th October, 2006) that Quintero told him that he signed up with the CIA in 1960 and that he "worked against Cuba side by side with Attorney General Robert F. Kennedy in the days when the United States tried to kill Mr. Castro. Years later, Mr. Quintero conspired with Lt. Col. Oliver L. North against the Sandinista government of Nicaragua."

In his book Manhunt: The Incredible Pursuit of a CIA Agent Turned Terrorist, Peter Maas mentions Carl Jenkins as Quintero's case officer prior to the Bay of Pigs. Quintero was part of an advance team sent in before the invasion by Jenkins. Afterwards Tom Clines would assume a case officer role for Quintero, who would go on make to a number of sabotage and assassination missions into Cuba.

Larry Hancock has done considerable research into Quintero's relationship with Carl Jenkins, a senior figure in the CIA. He writes about this in "Someone Would Have Talked".

Research confirms that beyond a doubt, Carl Jenkins was indeed a senior CIA officer who worked on paramilitary activities in support of the Bay of Pigs project and that by 1963-64 he was indeed directly involved with the AM/WORLD project, with Artime (AM/BIDDY) and Quintero (AM/JAVA-4).

In September, 1963 Jenkins wrote a general memo describing Artime's operational philosophy and concepts. This summarized his views about commando teams, infiltration teams, and guerrilla actions. The memo addresses military operations as Artime conceives them to be organized and conducted under a single organization (AM/WORLD) in which the Cubans can have faith. In a section on Commandos, there is discussion of the use of abductions and assassinations targeted against Cuban G-2 intelligence informants, agents, officers, and foreign Communists to raise the morale of people inside Cuba.'

In December, 1964, Jenkins prepared a summary report of Quintero's visit to Europe for a dialogue with Rolando Cubela in preparation for further meetings with Artime. The goal of this meeting was to develop contacts with a group inside Cuba which was capable of "eliminating Fidel Castro and of seizing and holding Havana, at least for an appreciable time that would be sufficient to justify recognition."'

I have posted a question on Don Bohning's Facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1642082812

John would you mind posting this question here as I have a feeling I might remained undubbed by the dispenser of the WAVEY-gravey.

This is what I said on his wall:

In the latest edition of "The Intelligencer: Journal of US Intelligence Studies" you have written an article where you have claimed: "While some websites are reliable and valuable research tools, others can be tendentious advocates for a point of view, twisting or ignoring information that does not support that point of view, twisting or ignoring information that does not support that point of view. One need look no further for the latter than two websites based in Great Britain, run by John Simkin, a former member of a militant leftwing organization, the politics of which are now rejected by the mainstream British Labor Party."

I am aware that you come from a tradition of using newspapers to create McCarthyite smears on people you disagree with. Maybe you could let me know the name of this "militant leftwing organization" I was supposed to be a member of in the past.

As far as I am aware he is not able to delete this question. I will add another about him being a CIA agent in a couple of days.

I'd suggest you do so [about his CIA asset past/present] as soon as possible. This Forum is closely monitored and they might block or remove as soon as posted your next post if you're not quick.

I have just posted this:

A CIA document dated 14th June, 1968, reveals that Don Bohning received his Provisional Covert Security Approval as a CIA confidential informant on August 21, 1967, then Covert Security Approval itself on November 14th “for use as a confidential informant with natural access to information about news companies and personalities.” (1)

Another CIA document dated 14th June, 1968, shows that Bohning was providing information concerning the Jim Garrison investigation. This included references to Rolando Masferrer and Winston Smith. (2) On July 31st, the Deputy Director of Plans (DDP) approved the use of Bohning in the CIA's Cuban operations. He was given the code-name AMCARBON-3.

(1) http://www.maryferrell.org/mffweb/archive/...bsPageId=807257

(2) http://www.maryferrell.org/mffweb/archive/...amp;relPageId=1

Don Bohning has still not removed this from his Facebook wall. He obviously needs some more CIA training.

Guest Tom Scully

Peter,

In the opening post, John wrote that Al Burt was Amcarbon-1.....and I just came upon this 2005 Bohning post, quoted below....amusing, isn't it?

Reminds me of the old joke, "If I tell you, then I'll have to kill you!" I wonder if Bohning, by October, 2005, was aware of this:

http://books.google.com/books?um=1&q=B...nG=Search+Books

A farewell to justice: Jim Garrison, JFK's assassination, and the case that ...‎ - Page 253

by Joan Mellen - History - 2005 - 547 pages

On July 31st, the DDP himself approved the use of Bohning in the CIA's Cuban

operations. Bohning informed Esterline of Rose's visit on March 28, 1968. ...

http://www.maryferrell.org/mffweb/archive/...bsPageId=807257

http://www.maryferrell.org/mffweb/archive/...bsPageId=414916

.....before he posfed this:

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.ph...ost&p=41674

At the risk of being repetitive this looks like it fits in this thread as well:

An interesting document which you might order a copy of RIF 104-10072-10289 from NARA. The title is rather uninteresting e.g. "Special Activities Report on a JMWAVE Relationship" however the content has to do with a several year relationship between JMWAVE and various personnel at the Miami Harald.

The document describes relationships with AMCARBON-1, AMCARBON-2 ...and apparent multiple identities of individuals (which totally confuses me). Apparently AMCARBON-2 was approched in Sept 1962 at the same time AMCARBON-1 was given identity 4. Apparently AMCARBON-1 had gotten a significant promotion at the paper at that time and increasing confidence by Indentity-3 management. Someone with the crypt Reuteman made the introduction for AMCARBON-2 to JMWAVE, can't tell if he was a Harald employee or not., sounds like it though.

This document is probably our best insight to reveal the extent to which JMWAVE had working relationships with several personnel at the Harald and that Hendrix probably fits one of the CARBON crypts. Supposedly AMCARBON-1 originally

started to work for Identity 3 (the Harald?) in 1957 on the City Desk, then went on to Florida political stories.

You would probably be more interested in the fact that the memo gives a long list of sources for AMCARBON-1 and discusses how JMWAVE used him as a progaganda outlet e.g. "a propaganda outlet through which items of interest to KUBARK could be surfaced in the free world press"....the memo goes on to list specific incidents and their related stories.

There is also a variety of interesting dialog about the ground rules for using press assets and media tactics.

1. I have obtained the document about the JMWave relationship with the Miami Herald and references to Amcarbon2, Amcarbon1, etc., etc.

As you noted, it is very confusing but it seems quite clear to me that AMCARBON2 was probably Al Burt, my predecessor as Latin America editor at the Miami Herald. I have no idea who might have bee AMCARBON1 or Identity, 2, etc. even what they refer to.

2. I also have obtained documents that clearly state that I was AMCARBON3, something I was not previously aware of.

Edited by Tom Scully

• 4 weeks later...
Interesting. Given that the CIA is by nature conspiratorial, and it's reasonqable to assume they are not all idiots, any puplic output from them has a purpose. Seldom this purpose is clearly apparent, but rather part of a larger strategy that the eventual result, rather than their overt actions such as this article, is of significance in understanding what they're up to. Absent reading the article in full, there seems to be an attempt to create an atmosphere around certain issues and persons. What purposes may this serve? Focus? Are the CIA suddenly overt all over? Doubt it. What is distracted away from as a consequence of the article? Are there global issues that this forms part of their charter to perpetuate the ruling status quo, whoever that may be, by any means?

Well, the Zfilm flooding has ceased. Now come the Constitutional Republicans. (When will they ever learn what a self defeating act it is?)