The Education Forum

Explain this Apollo 17 image

Yep, ditto. The number you have given refer to pans taken at Geophone 3 (EVA-1, 120 hrs 40 min GET) and Station 5 (EVA-2, 146 hrs 49 min GET). Both are colour film, but I didn't see any rocks coloured in the assembled panoramas so can only conclude that whoever created those shots added the colour.

Jack, we have gone through this time and time again: would you like to tell us where in which frame (not frames) these images come from, and what the problem is? You seem to be suggesting there is something wrong with those things appearing to be repeated. Well, considering it's a panorama, and a panorama is a series of overlapping images that are joined together, I'd suggest that you are looking at a join.

Why don't we look at the individual frames, and see if the 'doubling' appears in those? I'm willing to bet money that we don't.

Yep, ditto. The number you have given refer to pans taken at Geophone 3 (EVA-1, 120 hrs 40 min GET) and Station 5 (EVA-2, 146 hrs 49 min GET). Both are colour film, but I didn't see any rocks coloured in the assembled panoramas so can only conclude that whoever created those shots added the colour.

Jack, we have gone through this time and time again: would you like to tell us where in which frame (not frames) these images come from, and what the problem is? You seem to be suggesting there is something wrong with those things appearing to be repeated. Well, considering it's a panorama, and a panorama is a series of overlapping images that are joined together, I'd suggest that you are looking at a join.

Why don't we look at the individual frames, and see if the 'doubling' appears in those? I'm willing to bet money that we don't.

Show us.

Jack

The clue is in the word panorama, which consists of several images stitched together. It can be very difficult to do this accurately with a lot of foreground detail, especially if the camera doesn't rotate about its optical centre, since parallax errors are introduced. It also relies on the skill of the person producing the panorama, and the software being used to stich the images together.

This site contains lots of useful information.

In the Apollo panoramas, all you're seeing is the same rock being displayed twice as a by-product of the process of creating the panaromas. In the originals, the rocks are only visible once, for example AS17-145-22159:-

AS17-145-22159.jpg

Then tell us what frame number those images come from. I'm not wasting time chasing down your imagined faults if you won't do the courtesy of providing the frame number - or at least the area of the panorama that these images come from.

Show us.

Jack

Show us.

Jack

Of course the doubling does NOT exist in the original single frames and the frames numbers JAck has listed , at least for the first pan are incorrect, the series of pan frames entends to A17-145-22183.

If you use ALL of the framas in the series and run them through pano creation software like PtGui (which I did) you will get a double mouse rock just like the image Jack posted. Why? because there are too many frames at the end of the pano and there is too much overlap.

Whats suprising is that a self proclaimed photo expert like Jack would screw up on something as simple as parallax and pano creation.

Whats suprising is that a self proclaimed photo expert like Jack would screw up on something as simple as parallax and pano creation.

Based on Jack's Apollo record, I don't find it surprising.