The Education Forum

Spartacus Educational and Advertising

John Simkin

In the past, one of the great problems for newspapers and magazines who wanted to be free to criticize the capitalist system, was the role played by advertisers. Unfortunately, it is not possible to make a profit from publications just by its cover-price. You need also to persuade large corporations to advertise in your newspaper and magazines. They are of course unwilling to help journals that are critical of their values. This is the main reason why it has been impossible for any newspaper or magazine to survive for very long if it is openly critical of the capitalist system.

One of the great things about the internet is that in the early days the capitalist system seemed unconcerned about anti-establishment websites and as long as they had plenty of page-views they were willing to place advertising on these sites. In this way we have been able to build up an alternative press on the web.

However, since the economic recession, things have begun to change. Over the last few months companies have been cancelling their advertising contracts with Spartacus Educational. Several of the major corporations that provide advertising are refusing to work with me, even though they are still willing to place adverts on friend’s websites that are non-political but have nowhere near the traffic that I have. This poses a threat to both the existence of Spartacus Educational and this Forum.

One company that is still willing to work with me is GoViral Network.

http://spartacus-educational.blogspot.com/

In the past, one of the great problems for newspapers and magazines who wanted to be free to criticize the capitalist system, was the role played by advertisers. Unfortunately, it is not possible to make a profit from publications just by its cover-price. You need also to persuade large corporations to advertise in your newspaper and magazines. They are of course unwilling to help journals that are critical of their values. This is the main reason why it has been impossible for any newspaper or magazine to survive for very long if it is openly critical of the capitalist system.

One of the great things about the internet is that in the early days the capitalist system seemed unconcerned about anti-establishment websites and as long as they had plenty of page-views they were willing to place advertising on these sites. In this way we have been able to build up an alternative press on the web.

However, since the economic recession, things have begun to change. Over the last few months companies have been cancelling their advertising contracts with Spartacus Educational. Several of the major corporations that provide advertising are refusing to work with me, even though they are still willing to place adverts on friend’s websites that are non-political but have nowhere near the traffic that I have. This poses a threat to both the existence of Spartacus Educational and this Forum.

One company that is still willing to work with me is GoViral Network.

http://spartacus-educational.blogspot.com/

Advertising spending is totally in the dumper now John due the state of the economy. While its true many advertisers are staying away from controversial venues on all sides of the political aisle, the bigger problem IMO is simply lack of budgets. For sure thats what I am seeing in respect to companies producing photography for advertising.

Advertising spending in general is down billions from a year ago....

Additionally page views might not be the only or even the primary things execs consider when deciding where to advertise. The would probably be more concerned with how many people from the referring site actually click the links in the ads and make purchases.

Along similar lines in 1971 or so CBS canceled several rural themed shows even though they had good ratings because the people who watched them tended to be poor and thus less able to buy products offered by advertisers.

That said I agree with Craig they might shy away from sites considered to be controversial more than mainstream ones

Additionally page views might not be the only or even the primary things execs consider when deciding where to advertise. The would probably be more concerned with how many people from the referring site actually click the links in the ads and make purchases.

This is why forums never make any money- the traffic can appear impressive but it is usually just the same people revisiting threads rather than unique visitors who might want to click on the adverts.

My views on online advertising networks is that they are pretty much amoral when it comes to money.

Furthermore if you get the traffic they are going to want in regardless of your content.