The Education Forum

Proof of Apollo continues to roll in

Evan Burton

Except it wasn't presented to the prime minister by the Apollo astronauts but by an ambassador and from what I've read it was more of a personal gift, not presented in any ceremony or presentation.

You obviously know more about the story than I do. The article says the item was given to the prime minister during a goodwill tour by the astronauts. If that doesn't imply that the astronauts gave it to him, I don't know what does.

Also note that NASA reportedly confirmed that it was a moon rock. Lots of practical jokers around that place.

It's an old story (late August). I've read some othe articles with more info as well as updates. Reportedly the "confirmation" was a phone call where whoever they talked to just repeated that there were hundreds of samples given out to various countries in the 70's. It sounded like the person they talked to didn't pay attention to the fact that this was acquired in 1969 and given to a private citizen and didn't bother to compare it to a list of known samples.