The Education Forum

Health Issue

I want to share this with the members of this forum. I know in the past I made mistakes here and elsewhere. The one about the Morrisettes, I swear, was done in a light sleep or fugue state. I am a sleep walker, I talk in my sleep and lately I've awakened to no air getting into my throat. I kept cool about this, but I think that's the way people die in their sleep.

So I'm going to tell you members something personal. I have cancer. It was confirmed last week. I underwent a lumpectomy of the breast. Tomorrow I start 6 weeks of radiation. This is very hard at this time because my brother is in chronic renal failure, and he's up north and I'm not. It's odd we got sick at nearly the same time. Because of my treatments, I won't be going to visit him for the holidays like I always do. I have some friends who'll pay my transportation via cabs, should I need them. I am going to drive myself to the place. It's about 10 minutes away. I am told I am going to be very tired. I hope not.

Please keep me in your thoughts.

Thanks for reading this.

Kathy C :D

I want to share this with the members of this forum. I know in the past I made mistakes here and elsewhere. The one about the Morrisettes, I swear, was done in a light sleep or fugue state. I am a sleep walker, I talk in my sleep and lately I've awakened to no air getting into my throat. I kept cool about this, but I think that's the way people die in their sleep.

So I'm going to tell you members something personal. I have cancer. It was confirmed last week. I underwent a lumpectomy of the breast. Tomorrow I start 6 weeks of radiation. This is very hard at this time because my brother is in chronic renal failure, and he's up north and I'm not. It's odd we got sick at nearly the same time. Because of my treatments, I won't be going to visit him for the holidays like I always do. I have some friends who'll pay my transportation via cabs, should I need them. I am going to drive myself to the place. It's about 10 minutes away. I am told I am going to be very tired. I hope not.

Please keep me in your thoughts.

Thanks for reading this.

Kathy C :D

Kathy, my thoughts are with you. My wife had a lumpectomy 12 years ago. As long as you have got it early enough you should be able to make a full-recovery. It is very important that you do not allow this to change your personality. Understandably, most cancer patients develop depression. My wife struggled with this for the next 12 years (she died in March). It is important to retain a positive view of life. It also gives you the chance to reassess your life. Think deeply about what makes you happy. Then reorganize your life to maximise pleasure and minimise pain.

Thank you, everybody. There's been yet another stumbling block. For some reason the incision opened last night. I wasn't supposed to lift more than 10 pounds and I went grocery shopping, carrying in the big jugs of spring water that I get and other heavy things. Then I spent the middle of the night bent over the bathroom sink as blood was streaming out of me. Previous to this is seemed like it was getting better. Anyway, I saw the Oncologist today and he said I'll have a nasty scar now.

The incision is open. I'm taking antibiotics but the doctor cancelled my radiation for 2 weeks to give the area time to heal. This of course ruins my holiday plans. Instead I'm going north in March, which means I might miss the blizzards and other northern annoyances.

My best friend in NJ is setting aside 5 days from work so we can hang out together. We like to watch movies -- my favorite is Mommy Dearest. and Carnival of Souls.

It'll be a weird season.

Thanks again,

Kathy C

Hi kathy ...so very sorry to read your health news.......please take care and only do what you should.....i wish you all the very best and a full recovery....you are in my prayers......sincerely bernice..

Thanks to everyone. It was especially nice hearing from you, Bernice. It means a lot to me. I'm sure your prayers for me will reach Heaven faster than anyones'.

Yours Truly,

Kathy :blink:

• 2 weeks later...
Hi kathy ...so very sorry to read your health news.......please take care and only do what you should.....i wish you all the very best and a full recovery....you are in my prayers......sincerely bernice..

Thanks to everyone. It was especially nice hearing from you, Bernice. It means a lot to me. I'm sure your prayers for me will reach Heaven faster than anyones'.

Yours Truly,

Kathy B)

Kath, if there's anything special in the way of books you might have been wanting to get, let me know and I'll have them sent off to you from Amazon.com like I did before. Get back to me via my personal e-mail: tmauro@pacbell.net.

Keep your chin up, and don't allow this to get you down. It's important to remain focused and vigilant at this time.

Best always,

Ter

Yours Truly,

Kathy :angel

Kath, if there's anything special in the way of books you might have been wanting to get, let me know and I'll have them sent off to you from Amazon.com like I did before. Get back to me via my personal e-mail: tmauro@pacbell.net.

Keep your chin up, and don't allow this to get you down. It's important to remain focused and vigilant at this time.

Best always,

Ter

Thank you, Terri. You probably know about this stuff. They did a full body Cat scan on me today and marked me for the radiation. The physicist has to examine it so they know what angle to put the radiation on me, so as not to get my lungs or heart. Radiation starts Monday or Tuesday. I have to have 33 sessions. The place is real nice and the employees very nice. It's only 5 minutes away from me. So I will be driving myself. My sister-in-law doesn't think I'll be able to do it. I'll be in touch.

Kathy C

Ter I am pleased you replied to kathy i have been wondering how she has been making out..and KATHY you are being remembered in the nightly prayers..THEY CONTINUE AND WILL,,,.LET US KNOW HOW YOU ARE GETTING ALONG AND DO KEEP YOUR CHIN UP..AND THINK POSITIVE YES YOU CAN..AND YOU WILL.... :angel TAKE CARE B.

They did a full body Cat scan on me today and marked me for the radiation. The physicist has to examine it so they know what angle to put the radiation on me, so as not to get my lungs or heart. Radiation starts Monday or Tuesday. I have to have 33 sessions. The place is real nice and the employees very nice. It's only 5 minutes away from me. So I will be driving myself. My sister-in-law doesn't think I'll be able to do it. I'll be in touch.

Kathy C

As someone who drove my wife for regular trips of radiotherapy, I agree with your sister-in-law. Do you have anyone to take you to the hospital?

They did a full body Cat scan on me today and marked me for the radiation. The physicist has to examine it so they know what angle to put the radiation on me, so as not to get my lungs or heart. Radiation starts Monday or Tuesday. I have to have 33 sessions. The place is real nice and the employees very nice. It's only 5 minutes away from me. So I will be driving myself. My sister-in-law doesn't think I'll be able to do it. I'll be in touch.

Kathy C

As someone who drove my wife for regular trips of radiotherapy, I agree with your sister-in-law. Do you have anyone to take you to the hospital?

John, I have access to a free ride to and from the doctor service, but you have to wait for them, up to an hour and they want notice 48 hours before. The cabs around here are pretty good. I used them the day of the surgery. It doesn't cost much to use them as I'm close by.

There used to be a service that would drive you to the doctor and go food shopping for you, etc., but they went out of business.

My radiation starts Monday. They said I'll be finished Jan. 15, 2010.

I am dismayed about what I heard today on the news here in the United States. They want women to get a mammogram every 2 years now, instead of one. You can't even have your ovaries looked at at all unless you have symptoms. They also want you to get a pap smear every 2 or 3 years. I've had to have 2 operations because of my yearly pap smear. A hysterectomy (pre-cancerous) and removal of a lump (benign). They discovered I was a DES daughter, a drug my mother was given so she wouldn't miscarry me, which leads inevitably to hysterectomies for the daughters. I've been lucky. It's a good thing I had those exams. I hope women will stick together over these "guidelines." If you don't want a mammo or pap smear then don't go. But the rest of us need to.

Congress passed these measures which will enable Health Insurance to refuse you a yearly mammogram and pap smear, so health costs will go down.

Well, enough of my rant. I want to thank everybody here for their well wishes. I'm overwhelmed by it all and will concentrate on that when the going gets rough.

I am looking forward to the COPA broadcasts. Especially John Armstrong, who said a few years ago he was finished with the Kennedy Assassination. Monday night at 9 pm the National Geographic Channel is doing a 2-hour show on the Assassination as it happened with footage that wasn't seen in 46 years.

Kathy C :angel

Edited by Kathleen Collins