The Education Forum

Strange Time...

Mark Haley

...to sack a manager

Posh appear to have parted company with Darren Ferguson today.

This after back to back promotions with signings mainly from the non-league, a decent 4 game run in the League Cup which included wins against Ipswich & Newcastle, crowds double what they were when he took over, an injury time winner at QPR ruled out by an incorrect offside decision... and several narrow defeats by the odd goal.

Admittedly they fell into last place at the weekend in front of a 40,000 crowd at sportsdirect@stjamespark.com stadium ( a sign of how far the Posh had come and how far Newcastle have fallen) yet it was only last week they were out of the bottom 3.

Surely he deserved a bit of time ?

Gareth Southgate: Correct me if I'm wrong but he was fired following a win, with Middlesborough in 4th place, one point behind the leaders, and most of his best players sold during the summer...?

Feel free to add to the list as the season develops.

...to sack a manager

Posh appear to have parted company with Darren Ferguson today.

This after back to back promotions with signings mainly from the non-league, a decent 4 game run in the League Cup which included wins against Ipswich & Newcastle, crowds double what they were when he took over, an injury time winner at QPR ruled out by an incorrect offside decision... and several narrow defeats by the odd goal.

Admittedly they fell into last place at the weekend in front of a 40,000 crowd at sportsdirect@stjamespark.com stadium ( a sign of how far the Posh had come and how far Newcastle have fallen) yet it was only last week they were out of the bottom 3.

Surely he deserved a bit of time ?

Gareth Southgate: Correct me if I'm wrong but he was fired following a win, with Middlesborough in 4th place, one point behind the leaders, and most of his best players sold during the summer...?

Feel free to add to the list as the season develops.

I agree. I also thought that Peterborough and Middlesborough had "good" chairman. In both cases, the decision to sack their managers, does not make sense at all.

All managers have their weak points. Zola has frustrated me this season for his selection of teams. It was clear from the first few matches that Luis Jimenez did not have the type of skills to cope with the Premiership. On the other hand, Alessandro Diamanti is a great find but has been unable to hold down a place in the starting line-up. He has also been reluctant to use Zavon Hines. It is true he misses chances but the important thing is he makes things happen. We look an exciting team with Hines and Diamanti on the pitch. Even so, I will be furious if the club sacks Zola and Clarke for being in the bottom three.

• 1 month later...

So, Mark Hughes joins the list.

On the face of it his record this season looks very impressive, League Cup Semi-Finalists, just 2 defeats, still thereabouts in the Premier League... the timing of his dismissal seems a bit harsh.

However, following on the back of a procession of draws, the defeat at Spurs mid-week was probably his undoing. With the transfer window looming up on the January horizon it's not that much of a surprise that the money men at Man City seem to have lost patience.

That's one impact of the transfer window that nobody predicted. As long as it's in place team managers will be looking over their shoulders this time of year.

Merry Xmas indeed

MH