The Education Forum

Buckshot Found in JFK

JFK AUTOPSY X-RAYS REVEAL BUCKSHOT IN JFK

But he ate it!

http://www.maryferrell.org/mffweb/archive/...mp;relPageId=27

Dr. Bade. Dr. Ebersole is now looking at x ray No. 13 which is also the pelvis but has a more superior view.

Dr. Ebersole. At the time of the autopsy I felt that this metallic fragment to the right of the midline represented myelographic media. I think what this really represents is a buckshot since it is well to the right of the canal. This is the other possibility. It represents a buckshot or a myelographic media. This can be very positively identified as taken that night. This was the rounded material. The meyelographic media woujld be in or near the midline of the spinal canal where this appears to be near the right. It could represent either thing although I expect from its density and its rounded appearance it means buckshot.

Dr. Wecht. What do you mean by buckshot there?

Dr. Ebersole. A pellet from the shell fired by a shotgun.

Dr. Baden. Are you implying that this would have been a pellet fired into the body at some previous time?

Dr. Ebersole. I am saying at some previous time he ate a duck or a rabbit and this is either in the appendix or the – - I expect out in the street we would find something like 15 to 20 percent of the population have that.

THEY THEN STOP THE TAPE AND GO OFF THE RECORD AND BEGIN AGAIN ON A DIFFERENT TOPIC

JFK AUTOPSY X-RAYS REVEAL BUCKSHOT IN JFK

But he ate it!

http://www.maryferrell.org/mffweb/archive/...mp;relPageId=27

Dr. Bade. Dr. Ebersole is now looking at x ray No. 13 which is also the pelvis but has a more superior view.

Dr. Ebersole. At the time of the autopsy I felt that this metallic fragment to the right of the midline represented myelographic media. I think what this really represents is a buckshot since it is well to the right of the canal. This is the other possibility. It represents a buckshot or a myelographic media. This can be very positively identified as taken that night. This was the rounded material. The meyelographic media woujld be in or near the midline of the spinal canal where this appears to be near the right. It could represent either thing although I expect from its density and its rounded appearance it means buckshot.

Dr. Wecht. What do you mean by buckshot there?

Dr. Ebersole. A pellet from the shell fired by a shotgun.

Dr. Baden. Are you implying that this would have been a pellet fired into the body at some previous time?

Dr. Ebersole. I am saying at some previous time he ate a duck or a rabbit and this is either in the appendix or the – - I expect out in the street we would find something like 15 to 20 percent of the population have that.

THEY THEN STOP THE TAPE AND GO OFF THE RECORD AND BEGIN AGAIN ON A DIFFERENT TOPIC

well now bill i shall bet no one ever heard that one before

But he ate it!

makes one wonder what's next...thanks..take care..b :blink:

Edited by Bernice Moore

Duck season or Wabbit season?

They later get back to the subject during the interview and they correct, for the record, that it is probably birdshot and not buckshot.

Maybe JFK went hunting with Dick Chaney?

Damn Bill! Beat me to it! Another case of great minds think alike and so do ours :blink:

Is there a difference between "buckshot" and "birdshot"?

I would think they are both BBs that when packed into a shotgun shell are pretty much the same thing - small, little, perfectly round BBs, which, in JFK's X-rays, would appear as a small, little, perfectly round BB.

Is there a difference between "buckshot" and "birdshot"?

Is there a hunter out there who knows for sure?

BK

Shotshells are loaded with different sizes of shot depending on the target.

[...]

Birdshot

Birdshot sizes are numbered similar to the shotgun gauges; the smaller the number, the larger the shot. Generally birdshot is just called "shot", such as "number 9 shot" or "BB shot".

[...]

Buckshot

Larger sizes of shot, large enough that they must be carefully packed into the shell rather than simply dumped or poured in, are called "buckshot." Buckshot is used for hunting larger game, such as deer (hence derivation of the name),...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shotgun_shell#Shot_sizes

Since the primary purpose of deer hunting is to save as much of the meat as possible, one generally does NOT hunt deer with shot...not birdshot, not buckshot. You want a quick, clean kill as well, so you want something that will have some impact when it hits. When hunting deer with a shotgun, one generally uses a shell that contains a single lead slug. Traditional 12-gauge deer slugs, at least in JFK's era [prior to the days of saboted slugs] weigh 1 ounce; 16-gauge slugs weighed 4/5 oz. Not sure about 20-gauge slugs, because I never owned a 20-gauge for deer hunting.

From Wikipedia:

Birdshot

Birdshot sizes are numbered similar to the shotgun gauges; the smaller the number, the larger the shot. Generally birdshot is just called "shot", such as "number 9 shot" or "BB shot". A useful method for remembering the diameter of numbered birdshot is simply to subtract the shot size from 17. The resulting answer is the diameter of the shot in hundredths of an inch. For example, number 2 shot gives 17-2 = 15, meaning that the diameter of number 2 shot is 15/100 or 0.15". B shot is .170 inches, and sizes go up in .01 increments for BB and BBB.

Size Nominal diameter

FF .23"

F .22"

TT .21"

T .20"

BBB .190"

BB .180"

B .170"

1 .160"

2 .150"

3 .140"

4 .130"