The Education Forum

Why Tink and I love Jim and Jack

Jerry Logan

There is BW silent film of Newman in the WFAA studio on 11/22/63 where he makes a gesture of a forward and upward and outward "spray" or explosion from the right side of his head. He may also make such a motion in his WFAA on air interview. Further, I believe he makes a similar indication in Mark oakes video interview of him.

In November, 2008 Bill Newman told Dylan Lovan of the Associated Press:

"Ten, 12 feet in front of us, the third shot rang out, and that's when the side of his head flew off and I could remember seeing" the blood.

"I turned to Gayle and I said, that's it, hit the ground."

http://www.pantagraph.com/news/article_776...dcd3e68acb.html

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was able to regain 3MB of image posting space by going back 5 years and deleting photos

for 30 minutes. Testing....

Jack

Jack, you are just seeing what you want to see. Newman has been interviewed more than any other witness. He originally said he heard two shots. It then became three. He originally pointed to a spot in front of his ear. He then said the wound was so large it enveloped his ear. After years of pointing this out to people, however, he started pointing behind his ear.

He has been consistent on a few points however. One is that he has always described a single wound. He has never, in all the interviews I've read, or seen, claimed to have seen an entrance on the front of the head and an exit on the back. You simply made that up. (I mean, really, just look at those photos. What kind of bullet enters the temple sharply from the right of the head and then explodes outwards to the right a few inches to the back of the head? There is no such boomerang bullet and you know it.) He has also been consistent from the start that he thought the shots came from behind him, in the garden behind the arcade, and that they did not come from the picket fence and badge man location pretty much to his right.

Edited by Pat Speer

Fetzer says:
The point I made about David Mantik's study of the 4x5 transparencies is that they also show the same artifacts -- the painting over of the massive blow-out to the back of the head in black and the painting in of the bulging brains (the "blob") and the blood spray.

So Jim, how did you decide the back of the head was painted in black instead of the back of the head being just bloody?

Simple question, a simple answer will suffice.

Jim has answered that repeatedly. One of the answers is that the Hollywood 7, using a high quality

scan, observed and reported it to Doug Horne. There are other answers posted. Read them.

Jack

Actually the H7 have said nothing about it nor has Fetzer.

It's a simple question Jack why don't YOU answer. How can you say its painted black rather than just bloody?

Edited by Craig Lamson

Fetzer says:
The point I made about David Mantik's study of the 4x5 transparencies is that they also show the same artifacts -- the painting over of the massive blow-out to the back of the head in black and the painting in of the bulging brains (the "blob") and the blood spray.

So Jim, how did you decide the back of the head was painted in black instead of the back of the head being just bloody?

Jim has answered that repeatedly. One of the answers is that the Hollywood 7, using a high quality

scan, observed and reported it to Doug Horne. There are other answers posted. Read them.

Jack

BTW do YOU know how to turn RED into Black?

Guest James H. Fetzer

Very interesting, Jack. About the bulging brain "blob", I don't understand why Pat Speer

is not looking at the sequence of frames. He focuses on one to the exclusion of the rest.

I was able to regain 3MB of image posting space by going back 5 years and deleting photos

Jack

Edited by James H. Fetzer

Jack

Jack, you are just seeing what you want to see. Newman has been interviewed more than any other witness. He originally said he heard two shots. It then became three. He originally pointed to a spot in front of his ear. He then said the wound was so large it enveloped his ear. After years of talking to the likes of you, however, he started pointing behind his ear.

He has been consistent on a few points however. One is that he has always described a single wound. He has never, in all the interviews I've read, or seen, claimed to have seen an entrance on the front of the head and an exit on the back. You simply made that up. (I mean, really, just look at those photos. What kind of bullet enters the temple sharply from the right of the head and then explodes outwards to the right a few inches to the back of the head? There is no such boomerang bullet and you know it.) He has also been consistent from the start that he thought the shots came from behind him, in the garden behind the arcade, and that they did not come from the picket fence and badge man location pretty much to his right.

This is vicious and unfounded speculation:

"After years of talking to the likes of you, however, he started pointing behind his ear. "

You have no idea of anything that happened any of the times I talked with Newan. I never

asked leading questions of him. My questions were always like...where did the shots come

from?...exactly where was the limo at the time of the head shot?...what did you observe

at the time of the head shot? His answers were always spontaneous and CONSISTENT.

How many times have YOU talked to Newman? I have asked three times now.

Attacks like yours make YOU look bad, not me.

Jack

Fetzer says:

Jack

Actually the H7 have said nothing about it nor has Fetzer.

It's a simple question Jack why don't YOU answer. How can you say its painted black rather than just bloody?

The H7 said it was a crudely painted black patch, I think...according to Horne IV. The did not mention a red patch.

Jack

Jack

Jack, you are just seeing what you want to see. Newman has been interviewed more than any other witness. He originally said he heard two shots. It then became three. He originally pointed to a spot in front of his ear. He then said the wound was so large it enveloped his ear. After years of talking to the likes of you, however, he started pointing behind his ear.

Newman has NEVER CHANGED HIS STORY to my knowledge.

You say..."What kind of bullet enters the temple sharply from the right of the head and then explodes outwards to the right a few inches to the back of the head? There is no such boomerang bullet and you know it.)"

Having studied this case since 1963, I have read many witnesses who described the wound as TANGENTIAL.

Do you understand that word? It means that the bullet entered and exited on the same side of the head.

It is not a boomerang bullet. It simply entered the rogjt temple and exited the right occipital. You pick and

choose things you want.

Jack

post-667-1263281674_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jack White

Jack

You say..."What kind of bullet enters the temple sharply from the right of the head and then explodes outwards to the right a few inches to the back of the head? There is no such boomerang bullet and you know it.)"

Having studied this case since 1963, I have read many witnesses who described the wound as TANGENTIAL.

Do you understand that word? It means that the bullet entered and exited on the same side of the head.

It is not a boomerang bullet. It simply entered the left temple and exited the left occipital. You pick and

choose things you want.

Jack

Jack, that the head wound was a tangential hit has been MY conclusion for several years, which is why I find Newman's words so important. A tangential hit, however, does not mean the bullet entered and exited from the same side of the head, it means it entered and exited from the same hole. You are trying to push that there was a small hole near the temple, observed by Newman and unobserved at Parkland, and that there was also a large blowout on the back of the head, observed by both Newman and at Parkland. There is no record, however, of Newman ever saying he saw two wounds. The pictures of him pointing to the back of the head are him pointing to the one large wound he saw, in a different location than where he originally said it was.

You are correct, however, in that my assertion you were in some small part responsible for Newman moving the wound's location is unfair, and I will go back and edit out that part of my post.

Here is a more complete selection of Newman's statements:

William Newman was standing on the north side of Elm Street with his wife and two kids and can be seen in the Muchmore film. (11-22-63 interview on WFAA, prior to the announcement of the President's death, at approximately 12:45) “We were, we just come from Love Field after seeing the President and First Lady, and we were just in front of the triple underpass on Elm Street at the edge of the curb, getting ready to wave at the President. (After being asked to clarify his position) We were halfway in between the triple underpass. We were at the curb when this incident happened. But the President’s car was some fifty feet in front of us still yet in front of us coming toward us when we heard the first shot and the President. I don't know who was hit first but the President jumped up in his seat, and I thought it scared him, I thought it was a firecracker, cause he looked, you know, fear. And then as the car got directly in front of us well a gunshot apparently from behind us hit the President in the side of the temple.” (When asked if he thought the first shot came form the same location) "I think it came from the same location apparently back up on the mall, whatchacallit." (When asked if he thought the shot came from the viaduct) "Yes, sir, no, no, not on the viaduct itself but up on top of the hill, on the mound, of ground, in the garden." (When asked from how far away the shots were fired) "I have no idea. I didn't see where the gunshots come from. I believe we was looking directly at the President when he was hit. He was more or less directly in front of us. We didn't realize what happened until we seen the side of his head, when the bullet hit him. (When asked if he saw blood) "Yes sir, we seen it. I seen it" (11-22-63 second interview on WFAA, prior to the announcement of Kennedy's death, at approximately 1:00 PM) (When asked if he felt the shots came from different directions) "No sir, actually I feel that they both come from directly behind where we were standing. The President, it looked like he was looking in that direction. I don't know whether he was hit first. Apparently he wasn't. It looked like he jumped up in his seat, and when he jumped up he was shot directly in his head. I don't know whatchacallit--the mall behind us--but apparently (interviewer Bill Lord finishing his thought) "that's where he was." (11-22-63 third interview on WFAA, at approximately 1:10 PM) “My wife and my two sons were standing at the curb, looking at the President approaching us, when we heard a blast. And the President looked like that he right jumped up in his seat, and by that time he was directly in front of us. And then he......we seen him get shot in the side of the head. He fell back in the seat and Governor Connally was holding his stomach." (When asked if the shots were almost simultaneous) "Yes sir, they were probably 10 seconds apart." (When asked if he heard a third shot) "I didn't hear a third...I don't recall a third shot. There may have been. We hit...my family hit the ground. I don't recall a third shot. I just couldn't...I'm not certain of that. I do know I heard two shots." (11-22-63 statement to Dallas Sheriff’s Department, 24H219) “We were standing at the edge of the curb looking at the car as it was coming toward us and all of a sudden there was a noise, apparently gunshot. The President jumped up in his seat, and it looked like what I thought was firecracker had went off and I thought he had realized it. It was just like an explosion and he was standing up. By this time he was directly in front of us and I was looking directly at him when he was hit in the side of the head.” (11-24-63 FBI report, 22H842) “when the President’s car was approximately 50 feet from him proceeding in a westerly direction on Elm Street, he heard the first shots fired...the shots were fired in rapid succession which he thought at the time was a firecracker. The car was proceeding toward him and it seemed that the President’s arms went up and that he raised up in his seat and started to look around. The car proceeded to a point about even with him and he could see Governor John Connally was holding his stomach. About that time another shot was fired which he estimated was ten seconds after the first shot was fired. At that time he heard the bullet strike the president and saw flesh fly from the President’s head… Newman first thought the President and Governor were playing some kind of a game.” (11-29-66 interview with Josiah Thompson) “In my opinion the ear went…My thoughts were that the shot entered there and apparently the thoughts of the Warren Commission were that the shot came out that side.” (2-17-69 testimony in the trial of Clay Shaw) “as the car was approaching I heard two shots -- BOOM, BOOM -- and when the first shot was fired the President throwed his hands up like this (demonstrating), and at the time what we thought had happened, somebody throwed firecrackers or something under the automobile and he was protecting his face. At the time of the first shot Governor Connally turned in his seat in this manner (demonstrating), to look back at the President I suppose, and then the second shot was fired, and then as the car approached us to where we were standing, I could see Governor Connally leaning back in his seat holding his hands down like this (demonstrating), and at that time I could see blood on his shirt, and that is when I actually realized that it appeared, you know, he had been shot. The President all the time was staying in an upright position in his seat and it looked like he was looking into the crowd of people as if he was trying to see someone. I caught a glimpse of his eyes, just looked like a cold stare, he just looked through me, and then when the car was directly in front of me, well, that is when the third shot was fired and it hit him in the side of the head right above the ear and his ear come off…I observed his ear flying off, and he turned just real white and then blood red, and the President, when the third shot hit him he just went stiff like a board and fell over to his left in his wife's lap, and I told my wife, "That is it, hit the ground," and that is when we hit the ground because I thought the shots were coming over our heads. And then I looked back and I saw Mrs. Kennedy jumping up on the back end of the car…”

(The Kennedy Assassination Tapes, 1979) Civilian L “When the President’s car came around the corner, I had a good view from about 150 feet. About that time I heard two loud sounds about three seconds apart. I didn’t associate them with gunshots… They seemed more like firecrackers. However, I did notice a change in President Kennedy, his arm went up and he seemed to stiffen. Just after the two sounds…the limousine stopped for an instant, a large man in the right front seat picked up what looked to be a telephone, and then the car shot forward again. Some of the agents on the following car got off…From a distance of 12-to 15 feet…we saw the bullet hit the President from the right rear and literally tear away the side of his scalp and right ear…Thinking about it afterwards, I had the impression that they had been fired from behind us. I noticed Mr. Zapruder with his camera and thought it was a gun. My impression was only “behind us,” not from the stockade fence. I am certain no shot was fired from there.” (7-23-86 testimony in televised mock trial, On Trial: Lee Harvey Oswald) "As the President's car come towards us, probably 200 feet or so from us, we heard a Boom (one second pause) Boom, like that. The President sorta throwed his arms up, and we thought at that time maybe someone had throwed firecrackers or something beside the President's car. As the President's car came closer to us, we could see that something was wrong. Governor Connally, I could see the blood on his shirt, and Governor Connally's eyes protruding. And the President was looking into the crowd of people. He was moving his head about and looking into the crowd of the people. And just as the President's car got directly in front of me, the President was probably fifteen feet away, Boom, and the side of his ear flew off, and justa, bits and pieces flew off. I can remember seeing just a white flash, and then the red, and the President fell across the car, as if you'd hit him with a bat. He fell across the car, and back, into Mrs. Kennedy's lap. I remember her saying 'Oh my God! They've shot Jack!'...Mrs. Kennedy...At that time I turned to Gayle and I said 'That's it! Hit the ground! We hit the ground because we thought we were in direct line of fire. (When asked where he thought the shots were coming from) Sir, I thought the shots were coming from directly behind. (When asked to mark on the map where he thought the shots came from) It would be somewhere back in this general area. (He then makes a large mark across the southern side of the Elm Street extension back behind the eastern half of the arcade, to the West of the School Book Depository). (When asked by Bugliosi if he thought the shot that hit Kennedy in the head was the last shot) "Yes sir, I do." (Interview in The Men Who Killed Kennedy, broadcast 1988) “I can remember seeing the side of the President’s ear and head come off. I remember a flash of white and red and just bits and pieces of flesh exploding from the President’s head. At that time, I turned to Gayle and said “That’s it, hit the ground.” And we turned and hit the ground and covered our children. When the third shot was fired I thought it came from directly behind, towards the grassy knoll behind us. I base that primarily on the third shot, from what I saw, the sight of the President’s head coming off, and from the sound of the rifle, the report of the rifle” (Interview with Jim Marrs published in Crossfire, 1989) "As he was coming straight toward us there was a boom, boom, real close together. I thought someone was throwing firecrackers. He got this bewildered look on his face and was sort of slowing moving back and forth. The he got nearer to us, and, bam, a shot took the right side of his head off. His ear flew off. I heard Mrs. Kennedy say 'Oh, my God, no, they shot Jack!' He was knocked violently back against the seat, almost as if he had been hit by a baseball bat. At that time, I was looking right at the President and I thought the shots were coming from directly behind us. I said, "That's it! Get on the ground!" (11-20-97 interview published in No Case To Answer, 2005) "the President's car was out the distance of one lane from the curb line and some one hundred and fifty feet from us, some short distance, when the first two shots rang out. And it was a boom-boom. They were very close together and I could remember thinking "Boy, that's a poor thing to do." I thought someone had thrown a couple of firecrackers at the side of the President's car. At that moment, I didn't realize that it was gunfire and the President had been shot. I can remember his arms go up...he just kinda came forward and made a motion and apparently he was hit by one of the first two shots. As the car got closer to us I could see that something was wrong. I could see Governor Connally and I could see his eyes protruding and I could see him holding himself and I could see blood on his shirt. I can remember that the President looked to me like he was sorta looking into the crowd with a bewildered look on his face. As the car got directly in front of us--and we were on the curb's edge--and the President was probably not much further than I am from you (about ten feet) the third shot rang out and I can remember seeing the side of President Kennedy's head blow off. There was black matter and then grayish and he fell across Mrs. Kennedy, into her lap, and she jumped up and hollered "Oh my God no. They've shot Jack." And I turned to Gayle and I said: "That's it--hit the ground." And we turned and pushed our kids down on the ground behind us." (When describing his impression of the direction from which the shots were fired) "From my view it was just "behind" and it was a visual impact it had on me of seeing the head wound and seeing President Kennedy go across the seat. That gave me the impression of the shot being fired from behind..."

(No More Silence p. 94-101, published 1998) “As the President’s car started down Elm, the first two shots were fired. It was BOOM!…BOOM! like that. The first two were much closer together in my opinion. It's hard for me to tell the time frame because my concentration was on the President's car. I'm sure the Zapruder film can tell exactly the time frame. But the first two shots were much closer than the third shot. At that time I thought someone had thrown a couple of firecrackers or something beside the President's car. I didn't even realize at that time it was gunfire. The President’s car was probably 150 feet or so from us at the time. As the car came closer to us, it was obvious something was wrong. I could see Governor Connally; I could see his protruding eyes, and I could see him more or less frozen in the seat holding himself. You could see the blood on Governor Connally and President Kennedy. When the first two shots were fired, he threw his arms up. I believe I said at the time that he raised up in his seat, which I think, in reality, all he did was throw his arms up. I can remember him turning, looking into the crowd, and just as the car passed in front of us at a distance of ten to fifteen feet, the third shot rang out, and it hit the President. It appeared to me that it hit him on the side of the head, as the side of his head came off. I can remember seeing a white mass, and then just a mass of red. The President fell across the car away from me over into Mrs. Kennedy's lap. It was as if someone had given him a hard shove. It wasn't like slow motion. He went across the seat pretty quick. Mrs. Kennedy jumped up and said, "Oh my God, no, they've shot Jack!" Then I recall her on the back of the car when the Secret Service agent ran toward the car and pushed her back in. When the third shot rang out, I turned to Gayle and said, "That's it! Hit the ground!" because at that time I thought the shot came from directly behind us in the grassy knoll area. The only basis I had for that was what I visually saw: the President going across the car and seeing the side of his head come off. The sound played little factor. I believe it was a visual thing at that time. We turned and hit the ground and threw our children down and covered them." (November 1998 interview with Texas Monthly) “”When his car was probably a hundred fifty feet or so from us, the first two shots rang out and it was boom!(smacks his hand) boom! (smacks his hand again) like that.” (History Channel program "Our Generation", broadcast 2007) "The President's car came toward us, probably some hundred feet or so from us, when the first shots rang out...I seen a bewildered look on President Kennedy's face...And when his limousine was straight out in front of us the third shot rang out...She (Jackie) hollered out "Oh my God no they've shot Jack" and I turned to Gayle and I said "That's it! Hit the ground!" (Pierce Allman, "Our Generation", broadcast 2007) "A cop he got off his motorcycle and he said "everybody get down" and I bounced right back up and ran across the street and picked up Bill and Gayle Newman--I didn't know their names of the couple at the time--they had two little kids--and I said "Are you okay?" And he said "Yeah, but they got the President. They blew the side of his head in." (11-19-08 AP article by Dylan Lovan) "As the president's black convertible came into sight, Bill Newman said, he heard what he thought were fireworks. 'I didn't recognize it as a gunshot,' he said, clapping his hands twice with a pause to simulate the sounds. But as the limousine drew closer, Newman said he could see blood on Kennedy and Texas Gov. John Connally, who was in the car with the president. 'Ten, 12 feet in front of us, the third shot rang out, and that's when the side of his head flew off and I could remember seeing' the blood, Bill Newman said. 'I turned to Gayle and I said, that's it, hit the ground.' (When asked if he felt there was second gunman on the grassy knoll) 'I do tend to want to lean in the direction that it was a conspiracy, meaning more than one person was involved. But so far, no one's ever come forward with concrete evidence."

Edited by Pat Speer

Tink:

After I completed my work at the New York City optical lab (this was June or July, 1990) the 35mm item --on loan from Weitzman to Richter--was returned (by Richter) to Weitzman. Then Weitzman (most unfortunately) gave it back to Groden. FYI: That the was sole remaining 35 mm copy that Weitzman had retained, from the days of his work with LIFE.

The upshot: Groden--from that point forward--possessed ALL the remaining 35 mm copies that Weitzman had made (and which I have seen referred to as "technician's copies".

As I explained in a detailed 60 page (or more) memo to the ARRB, Groden had the mentality of an obsessive collector, not a researcher. It was his dream (and apparent goal) to control all the copies. He was astounded (and angered) that one had flown the coop, and had ended up in Richter's possession (and had then been briefly loaned to me, for that marked the end of his "image" monopoly).

This entire affair is discussed--in detail--in "Pig on a Leash," starting with the breaker that reads "Summer 1989: Breaking Groden's Monopoly." The narrative goes on for some 10 pages.

When Groden was deposed, under oath, by the ARRB--and the memos and documentation I prepared for the ARRB had a lot to do with how that deposition was structured--Groden then denied (under oath!) having 35 mm films--which was contrary to the facts as I knew them.

Obviously, Groden is sitting on a gold mine (of sorts)--some half dozen 35 mm copies of the Z film, made back in 1967/68-- but the following should also be noted: the Sixth Floor Museum also has (I would think) one of those 35 mm Internegative of exactly the same type that I worked with at the New York City optical lab.

FYI: Noel Twyman, who has had plenty of opportunity to compare various copies, has said that the copies he obtained from me were the clearest, of any to which he had access.

Hope this clarifies what I have.

DSL

1/12/2010; 3:10 AM PST

Los Angeles, CA

He has also been consistent from the start that he thought the shots came from behind him, in the garden behind the arcade, and that they did not come from the picket fence and badge man location pretty much to his right.

Pat, thank you for posting the statements of William Newman. He seems to have been the closest bystander to the

head shot, and his description mirrors exactly what we see in the Zfilm.

However in your transcription the word "MALL" surely should be KNOLL (Jack White says Newman pronounced it to rhyme with DOLL).

Since the fence is on the knoll, it strikes me that Newman's statements ARE consistent with a shot from the fence, i.e. the location of HATMAN, who is pointed out in Thompson's SIX SECONDS.

Jack

It is not a boomerang bullet. It simply entered the rogjt temple and exited the right occipital. You pick and

choose things you want.

Jack

"Newman has NEVER CHANGED HIS STORY to my knowledge."

You're wrong, Jack, Newman originally said he heard only two shots. Later he began to claim he heard three.

Seems you don't know Newman's statements throughout the years very well.

However in your transcription the word "MALL" surely should be KNOLL (Jack White says Newman pronounced it to rhyme with DOLL).

According to Gary Mack:

"Newman appeared on WFAA-TV in Dallas about 15-20 minutes after the shooting. He said the shots came from behind him, "up on the mall," or "up on the knoll."

Careful study of the tape shows him forming his lips to make the "mmm" sound, not "nnn." And he did not say "grassy" at any time."