The Education Forum

Why Tink and I love Jim and Jack

Jerry Logan

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're wrong, Jack, Newman originally said he heard only two shots. Later he began to claim he heard three.

When did Bill Newman say he heard only two shots?

Day One - 22 November 1963.

You're wrong. You need to be more precise.

No, I am not wrong.

From Pat Speers compliation of Newman’s statements posted above…

11-22-63 interview on WFAA, prior to the announcement of the President's death, at approximately 12:45 - “We were, we just come from Love Field after seeing the President and First Lady, and we were just in front of the triple underpass on Elm Street at the edge of the curb, getting ready to wave at the President. (After being asked to clarify his position) We were halfway in between the triple underpass. We were at the curb when this incident happened. But the President’s car was some fifty feet in front of us still yet in front of us coming toward us when we heard the first shot and the President. I don't know who was hit first but the President jumped up in his seat, and I thought it scared him, I thought it was a firecracker, cause he looked, you know, fear. And then as the car got directly in front of us well a gunshot apparently from behind us hit the President in the side of the temple.” (When asked if he thought the first shot came form the same location) "I think it came from the same location apparently back up on the mall, whatchacallit." (When asked if he thought the shot came from the viaduct) "Yes, sir, no, no, not on the viaduct itself but up on top of the hill, on the mound, of ground, in the garden." (When asked from how far away the shots were fired) "I have no idea. I didn't see where the gunshots come from. I believe we was looking directly at the President when he was hit. He was more or less directly in front of us. We didn't realize what happened until we seen the side of his head, when the bullet hit him. (When asked if he saw blood) "Yes sir, we seen it. I seen it"

11-22-63 second interview on WFAA, prior to the announcement of Kennedy's death, at approximately 1:00 PM - (When asked if he felt the shots came from different directions) "No sir, actually I feel that they both come from directly behind where we were standing. The President, it looked like he was looking in that direction. I don't know whether he was hit first. Apparently he wasn't. It looked like he jumped up in his seat, and when he jumped up he was shot directly in his head. I don't know whatchacallit--the mall behind us--but apparently (interviewer Bill Lord finishing his thought) "that's where he was."

11-22-63 third interview on WFAA, at approximately 1:10 PM - “My wife and my two sons were standing at the curb, looking at the President approaching us, when we heard a blast. And the President looked like that he right jumped up in his seat, and by that time he was directly in front of us. And then he......we seen him get shot in the side of the head. He fell back in the seat and Governor Connally was holding his stomach." (When asked if the shots were almost simultaneous) "Yes sir, they were probably 10 seconds apart." (When asked if he heard a third shot) "I didn't hear a third...I don't recall a third shot. There may have been. We hit...my family hit the ground. I don't recall a third shot. I just couldn't...I'm not certain of that. I do know I heard two shots."

11-22-63 statement to Dallas Sheriff’s Department, 24H219 - “We were standing at the edge of the curb looking at the car as it was coming toward us and all of a sudden there was a noise, apparently gunshot. The President jumped up in his seat, and it looked like what I thought was firecracker had went off and I thought he had realized it. It was just like an explosion and he was standing up. By this time he was directly in front of us and I was looking directly at him when he was hit in the side of the head.”

Now, what about my answer, “Day One - 22 November 1963.”, wasn’t precise?

You're wrong, Jack, Newman originally said he heard only two shots. Later he began to claim he heard three.

No, I am not wrong.

11-22-63 interview on WFAA, prior to the announcement of the President's death, at approximately 12:45 - “We were, we just come from Love Field after seeing the President and First Lady, and we were just in front of the triple underpass on Elm Street at the edge of the curb, getting ready to wave at the President. (After being asked to clarify his position) We were halfway in between the triple underpass. We were at the curb when this incident happened. But the President’s car was some fifty feet in front of us still yet in front of us coming toward us when we heard the first shot and the President. I don't know who was hit first but the President jumped up in his seat, and I thought it scared him, I thought it was a firecracker, cause he looked, you know, fear. And then as the car got directly in front of us well a gunshot apparently from behind us hit the President in the side of the temple.” (When asked if he thought the first shot came form the same location) "I think it came from the same location apparently back up on the mall, whatchacallit." (When asked if he thought the shot came from the viaduct) "Yes, sir, no, no, not on the viaduct itself but up on top of the hill, on the mound, of ground, in the garden." (When asked from how far away the shots were fired) "I have no idea. I didn't see where the gunshots come from. I believe we was looking directly at the President when he was hit. He was more or less directly in front of us. We didn't realize what happened until we seen the side of his head, when the bullet hit him. (When asked if he saw blood) "Yes sir, we seen it. I seen it"

11-22-63 second interview on WFAA, prior to the announcement of Kennedy's death, at approximately 1:00 PM - (When asked if he felt the shots came from different directions) "No sir, actually I feel that they both come from directly behind where we were standing. The President, it looked like he was looking in that direction. I don't know whether he was hit first. Apparently he wasn't. It looked like he jumped up in his seat, and when he jumped up he was shot directly in his head. I don't know whatchacallit--the mall behind us--but apparently (interviewer Bill Lord finishing his thought) "that's where he was."

11-22-63 third interview on WFAA, at approximately 1:10 PM - “My wife and my two sons were standing at the curb, looking at the President approaching us, when we heard a blast. And the President looked like that he right jumped up in his seat, and by that time he was directly in front of us. And then he......we seen him get shot in the side of the head. He fell back in the seat and Governor Connally was holding his stomach." (When asked if the shots were almost simultaneous) "Yes sir, they were probably 10 seconds apart." (When asked if he heard a third shot) "I didn't hear a third...I don't recall a third shot. There may have been. We hit...my family hit the ground. I don't recall a third shot. I just couldn't...I'm not certain of that. I do know I heard two shots."

11-22-63 statement to Dallas Sheriff’s Department, 24H219 - “We were standing at the edge of the curb looking at the car as it was coming toward us and all of a sudden there was a noise, apparently gunshot. The President jumped up in his seat, and it looked like what I thought was firecracker had went off and I thought he had realized it. It was just like an explosion and he was standing up. By this time he was directly in front of us and I was looking directly at him when he was hit in the side of the head.”

You claimed that "Newman originally said he heard only two shots." Originally would be his first interview with

Jay Watson. In that interview Newman said he didn't know who was hit first. (The President or Connally)

Then he described the shot to the President's temple. That's three shots. At no time during that interview did

Newman say he heard only two shots.

When queried, you could have been more precise by stating which interview you were referring to.

Edited by Michael Hogan

Fetzer says:
The point I made about David Mantik's study of the 4x5 transparencies is that they also show the same artifacts -- the painting over of the massive blow-out to the back of the head in black and the painting in of the bulging brains (the "blob") and the blood spray.

So Jim, how did you decide the back of the head was painted in black instead of the back of the head being just bloody?

Simple question, a simple answer will suffice.

Jim has answered that repeatedly. One of the answers is that the Hollywood 7, using a high quality

scan, observed and reported it to Doug Horne. There are other answers posted. Read them.

Jack

So the question still remains, why is it a black patch and not just the bloody head of JFK?

Actually the H7 have said nothing about it nor has Fetzer.

It's a simple question Jack why don't YOU answer. How can you say its painted black rather than just bloody?

The H7 said it was a crudely painted black patch, I think...according to Horne IV. The did not mention a red patch.

Jack

So the question still remains, why is it a black patch and not just the bloody head of JFK? And more to the point, could the blood on JFK's head look black?

No, I am not wrong.

You claimed that "Newman originally said he heard only two shots." Originally would be his first interview with

Jay Watson. In that interview Newman said he didn't know who was hit first. (The President or Connally)

Then he described the shot to the President's temple. That's three shots. At no time during that interview did

Newman say he heard only two shots.

When queried, you could have been more precise by stating which interview you were referring to.

“You claimed that "Newman originally said he only heard two shots." Originally would be his first interview with Jay Watson. “

My use of “originally” was in regard to his overall original statements rather than his later ones – i.e. those made 22 November 1963, as I said.

“In that interview Newman said he didn't know who was hit first. (The President or Connally) Then he describes the shot to the President's temple. That's three shots.”

If you read what he said it’s clear that he was not even sure that the President was wounded with the first sound…” the President jumped up in his seat, and I thought it scared him, I thought it was a firecracker, cause he looked, you know, fear.”, then with a Connally shot (which he doesn’t really mention) and the headshot we are back to 2 shots.

But all of that aside, it really doesn’t matter how many shots were actually fired, what matters is how many shot sounds Newman heard.

“At no time during that interview did Newman say he only heard two shots.”

Not in so many words, but that he what he indicated.

But certainly a few minutes later he said he only heard 2 shots…"I didn't hear a third...I don't recall a third shot. There may have been. We hit...my family hit the ground. I don't recall a third shot. I just couldn't...I'm not certain of that. I do know I heard two shots.", right?

What’s not clear about that?

“When queried, you could have been more precise by stating which interview you were referring to.”

When replying, you could have been more precise by stating exactly what I was wrong about and exactly I was not precise about, rather than just “You're wrong. You need to be more precise”

He has also been consistent from the start that he thought the shots came from behind him, in the garden behind the arcade, and that they did not come from the picket fence and badge man location pretty much to his right.

Pat, thank you for posting the statements of William Newman. He seems to have been the closest bystander to the

head shot, and his description mirrors exactly what we see in the Zfilm.

However in your transcription the word "MALL" surely should be KNOLL (Jack White says Newman pronounced it to rhyme with DOLL).

Since the fence is on the knoll, it strikes me that Newman's statements ARE consistent with a shot from the fence, i.e. the location of HATMAN, who is pointed out in Thompson's SIX SECONDS.

Correct...the first film I saw of Newman...I guess in 1963, and many later times too...he said NOLL instead of knoll.

The reason this immediately attracted my attention was that I lived on OAK KNOLL DRIVE...and I thought, what a

country boy, he does not know how to pronounce KNOLL. Several transcribers substituted the word MALL, since

they did not understand his Texas drawl.

The first time I met Newman in person was when he talked before Jim Marrs' JFK class in the 80s. My most vivid

recollection of his talk was his baseball bat analogy. He said (not an exact quote)...WE SAW THE BULLET HIT THE

SIDE OF HIS FACE (HEAD) AND DRIVE HIS HEAD AWAY FROM US LIKE IT HAD BEEN HIT WITH A BASEBALL BAT.

He mentioned seeing lots of blood cover the face and seeing an explosion LIKE HITTING A WATERMELON. I am certain

that he did not mention the explosion going forward, or the class members would have jumped all over such a

statement. At other Dallas symposiums I talked to him 2 or 3 times at least, and his story never changed. I am

not familiar with what he told others, except through the massive research of Pat Speer, which seems to quote

variations. However, in Speer's quotes, I saw no reference to a frontal blowout nor a bone flying open to the

front. The nearest was "HIS EAR FLEW OFF". I believe he told the Marrs' class the same thing, and questioners

told him the Z film did not show that, but he did not back off...so he saw "something" fly off. Perhaps he saw the

Harper fragment "fly off". At that time the autopsy photos had not been made public showing the ear intact.

Jack

When replying, you could have been more precise by stating exactly what I was wrong about and exactly I was not precise about, rather than just “You're wrong. You need to be more precise”

You were wrong. And you needed to be more precise. It's as simple as that.

Think what you like.

As I told you, my use of “originally” was in regard to his overall original statements rather than his later ones – i.e. those made 22 November 1963, as I said.

The fact is that on Day One - 22 November 1963 - Newman was claiming he only heard 2 shots - …"I didn't hear a third...I don't recall a third shot. There may have been. We hit...my family hit the ground. I don't recall a third shot. I just couldn't...I'm not certain of that. I do know I heard two shots."

Edited by Todd W. Vaughan

He has also been consistent from the start that he thought the shots came from behind him, in the garden behind the arcade, and that they did not come from the picket fence and badge man location pretty much to his right.

Pat, thank you for posting the statements of William Newman. He seems to have been the closest bystander to the

However in your transcription the word "MALL" surely should be KNOLL (Jack White says Newman pronounced it to rhyme with DOLL).

Since the fence is on the knoll, it strikes me that Newman's statements ARE consistent with a shot from the fence, i.e. the location of HATMAN, who is pointed out in Thompson's SIX SECONDS.

Correct...the first film I saw of Newman...I guess in 1963, and many later times too...he said NOLL instead of knoll.

The reason this immediately attracted my attention was that I lived on OAK KNOLL DRIVE...and I thought, what a

country boy, he does not know how to pronounce KNOLL. Several transcribers substituted the word MALL, since

The first time I met Newman in person was when he talked before Jim Marrs' JFK class in the 80s. My most vivid

recollection of his talk was his baseball bat analogy. He said (not an exact quote)...WE SAW THE BULLET HIT THE

SIDE OF HIS FACE (HEAD) AND DRIVE HIS HEAD AWAY FROM US LIKE IT HAD BEEN HIT WITH A BASEBALL BAT.

He mentioned seeing lots of blood cover the face and seeing an explosion LIKE HITTING A WATERMELON. I am certain

that he did not mention the explosion going forward, or the class members would have jumped all over such a

statement. At other Dallas symposiums I talked to him 2 or 3 times at least, and his story never changed. I am

not familiar with what he told others, except through the massive research of Pat Speer, which seems to quote

variations. However, in Speer's quotes, I saw no reference to a frontal blowout nor a bone flying open to the

front. The nearest was "HIS EAR FLEW OFF". I believe he told the Marrs' class the same thing, and questioners

told him the Z film did not show that, but he did not back off...so he saw "something" fly off. Perhaps he saw the

Harper fragment "fly off". At that time the autopsy photos had not been made public showing the ear intact.

Jack

Keep in mind that Newman is describing an INSTANTANEOUS event. Were you to witness someone get shot in

the head 15 feet away, you would have only a fleeting chance for shocked observation. Your mind would tend

to "fill in" the rest. Remember, the bullet reaches the target before the sound, so this is likely what Newman

perceived:

1. blood suddenly appears on president's face and side of head. (covering ear?)

2. noise of gunfire

3. skull fragments are blown out to rear, including what Newman thinks is ear.

4. head is propelled away from Newman

5. Newman thinks he is in line of fire, and falls to ground.

The event happened so quickly that he could NOT HAVE PERCEIVED much more than the above. Anything

else he said is likely caused by his brain trying to make sense of what he saw by filling in gaps. Put yourself

in his shoes and TRY TO DESCRIBE any event lasting ONLY ONE SECOND.

Jack

Jack

Keep in mind that Newman is describing an INSTANTANEOUS event. Were you to witness someone get shot in

the head 15 feet away, you would have only a fleeting chance for shocked observation. Your mind would tend

to "fill in" the rest. Remember, the bullet reaches the target before the sound, so this is likely what Newman

perceived:

2. noise of gunfire

The event happened so quickly that he could NOT HAVE PERCEIVED much more than the above. Anything

else he said is likely caused by his brain trying to make sense of what he saw by filling in gaps. Put yourself

Jack

Well, we agree on this. Newman's rapid reaction to the head shot, it seems clear, prevented him from hearing the gunshot immediately following the head shot heard by so many others standing nearby, including Hill, Moorman, Brehm, Summers, and Hudson, not to mention Kellerman, Greer, Kinney, Roberts, Hickey, etc. (Although some of the SS agents said they thought Kennedy was hit in the head by the last shot, they almost all claimed the last two shots were "instantaneous" or Bam-Bam, or some variant.)

BTW, Newman said "Mall" and he meant "mall."

mall 1 (môl, ml)

n.

1. A large, often enclosed shopping complex containing various stores, businesses, and restaurants usually accessible by common passageways.

2. A street lined with shops and closed to vehicles.

3. A shady public walk or promenade.

4. Chiefly Upstate New York See median strip. See Regional Note at neutral ground.

He was most certainly referring to the area behind the arcade on the Elm Street extension. In the 1986 mock trial, he was asked to mark where he thought the shots came from. "(When asked where he thought the shots were coming from) Sir, I thought the shots were coming from directly behind. (When asked to mark on the map where he thought the shots came from) It would be somewhere back in this general area. (He then makes a large mark across the southern side of the Elm Street extension back behind the eastern half of the arcade, to the West of the School Book Depository)." The picket fence was to his right.

Newmans2.jpg

Edited by Pat Speer

Fascinating Pat. Can one follow the opening in JFK's skull over several frames and, as it were, plot the process of skull opening? Looking a bit later, say subsequent to Z 330, do you find the appearance of the skull wound significantly different than it appears at say Z 321 or Z323? I ask this because it is possible that JFK was hit in the skull from behind in the interval. What do you think?

Josiah Thompson

There are other inconsistencies that are internal to the frames of the film that show the "blob" is an artifact and that the back of the head has been painted over in black. I have already pointed out that frame 374, for example, shows the blow-out to the back of the head and the skull flap that Tom Robinson described. And, when frames 456 and 466 are viewed in the 6k version, a wound behind the right ear is visible, but no large blow-out of the right-front. That is a perfect example of how experiments like this one can reveal details that are not obvious without gaining greater access to its contents, as the 6k has done. And, as Doug has explained, the absence of the large frontal wound in these frames -- even apart from Jackie's testimony, the medical evidence, and more than 40 witnesses reports -- is an additional proof that the large frontal wound seen in frames 314 through 327 is a fabrication. It can't be present in those frames but missing from later ones. The beauty of these proofs is that they are simple and direct -- and have been confirmed by eight experts on film and David Mantik, too!

Wait. I thought the eight experts said they thought the back of the head had been painted in. Now you have them agreeing with your opinion there's a blow-out on the back of the head in 374 that isn't seen earlier, etc. Is there a list of all their findings? Can you post a quality version of 374 showing this blow-out?

And, I hesitate to ask, can you post an image of the "blob"? I assumed your references to the "blob" were to the orange blob in the degraded versions of Z-313. Now Jack says it's a white blob. Is it seen in the frame below?

zap323.jpg

Because I don't see a "blob"; I see the underside of a piece of skull broken and flipped forward and still hanging by a thread of scalp on the side of Kennedy's head. The shape of this skull fragment, moreover, matches precisely the shape of the fragment shown in the right lateral autopsy photo.

winganal.jpg

From patspeer.com chapter 18:

Another aspect of the medical evidence which has convinced many of fakery or deception is the “wing” of bone visible in the autopsy photos. It seemed to move from photo to photo and change shape. After much thought, however, I developed an explanation for these changes.

When one looks at the Zapruder film, one can’t help but notice the large opening on Kennedy’s skull apparent in the frames after 313. This opening appears to begin just in front of his ear. When one looks at the right lateral autopsy photo one sees exposed bone behind his ear, however, and in a location where there was reportedly no missing bone or scalp. This is a clear indication that this bone was dislodged from someplace else. And yet it’s still attached to scalp. After some consideration I realized that when the scalp exploded downwards in frame 313 the skull bones that were attached to the scalp were suddenly upside down, and began to peel away from the scalp from the bottom (which was formally the top) down. The large fragment found on the floor of the limo by Sam Kinney peeled all the way and fell to the floor. It can be seen flying downwards in the frames after 313. A section of bone lower down on Kennedy’s skull, possibly including his sphenoid bone, didn’t finish peeling away from the scalp, however. It was left dangling by a thread. The shape of this bone can be seen in shadow in frame 323. When Jackie Kennedy tried to close her husband’s head wound, she failed to flip this “wing” of bone back around to match up with the scalp, and left this “wing” dangling back behind Kennedy’s ear. This is apparent in the right almost-lateral autopsy photo. Not surprisingly, the shape of this wing matches the shape of the shadow in frame 323.

When one looks at the back of the head photo, obviously taken a few minutes later, as Kennedy is now lying on his side, one can see that the “wing” of bone has suddenly changed. It is now far forward of the ear and of different proportions. I believe this is because it’s no longer a “wing” of bone, but a “wing” of scalp, the stubborn scalp that held the wing in place for so long. The dimensions of this scalp flap can be seen in frame 337. Possibly the wing fell off when the doctors moved Kennedy onto his side or possibly they removed it deliberately to better observe the large defect.

I just took a look at the Image of an Assassination DVD Close-up Frames in slow mo. From this it seems likely the "white blob" noted by Fetzer is the skull flap dangling by a strand of flesh, bouncing around on the side of Kennedy's head in the aftermath of the bullet's impact. I didn't see any indication of another shot impacting on the skull, although JFK's head does move around quite a bit as he falls to the floor of the limo, and a number of the frames are blurred. As a result, I wouldn't entirely rule it out.

Edited by Pat Speer

Jack

perceived:

2. noise of gunfire

Jack

Well, we agree on this. Newman's rapid reaction to the head shot, it seems clear, prevented him from hearing the gunshot immediately following the head shot heard by so many others standing nearby, including Hill, Moorman, Brehm, Summers, and Hudson, not to mention Kellerman, Greer, Kinney, Roberts, Hickey, etc. (Although some of the SS agents said they thought Kennedy was hit in the head by the last shot, they almost all claimed the last two shots were "instantaneous" or Bam-Bam, or some variant.)

BTW, Newman said "Mall" and he meant "mall."

mall 1 (môl, ml)

n.

1. A large, often enclosed shopping complex containing various stores, businesses, and restaurants usually accessible by common passageways.

4. Chiefly Upstate New York See median strip. See Regional Note at neutral ground.

He was most certainly referring to the area behind the arcade on the Elm Street extension. In the 1986 mock trial, he was asked to mark where he thought the shots came from. "(When asked where he thought the shots were coming from) Sir, I thought the shots were coming from directly behind. (When asked to mark on the map where he thought the shots came from) It would be somewhere back in this general area. (He then makes a large mark across the southern side of the Elm Street extension back behind the eastern half of the arcade, to the West of the School Book Depository)." The picket fence was to his right.

Newmans2.jpg

In his initial appearance, Newman said UP ON THE GRASSY NOLL, not MALL. Your ear is not attuned to Texas talk.

Jack

"n.

4. Chiefly Upstate New York See median strip. See Regional Note at neutral ground."

Newman is not a New Yorker. He is a Texan.

People in Texas do not know what a promenade is. They call public walks SIDEWALKS.

Newman is not BRITISH either. They pronounce MALL as MELL.

I know Texas talk. I heard him say GRASSY NOLL. He was not referring to a grassy

sidewalk.

Jack