The Education Forum

O'Connor on head wound

Law: After you traced the wound, what happened then?

O'Connor: After that, we looked at the head wound and found that there were no bullets in the cranium. Minute fragments were scattered through the bone area of the cranium front and back. I remember distinctly because, having worked in funeral homes since I was thirteen years old, I had seen bullet wounds before, and also I served in Vietnam and saw bullet wounds there. It looked to me like a bomb had exploded inside his brain and blew out the whole side of his head. I've never seen a more horrendous destruction of the cranium, unless it was done by a very high caliber weapon. I found out later that it was done by a Mannlicher Carcano - a cheap Italian rifle - just about what I would call a thirty caliber or a thirty-thirty caliber rifle.

Law: In your opinion is it capable of doing that kind of damage?

O'Connor: Absolutely not.

Nuff said

O'Connor: After that, we looked at the head wound and found that there were no bullets in the cranium. Minute fragments were scattered through the bone area of the cranium front and back. I remember distinctly because, having worked in funeral homes since I was thirteen years old, I had seen bullet wounds before, and also I served in Vietnam and saw bullet wounds there. It looked to me like a bomb had exploded inside his brain and blew out the whole side of his head. I've never seen a more horrendous destruction of the cranium, unless it was done by a very high caliber weapon. I found out later that it was done by a Mannlicher Carcano - a cheap Italian rifle - just about what I would call a thirty caliber or a thirty-thirty caliber rifle.

Nuff said

O'Connor is right. The large defect on Kennedy's skull is inconsistent with a bullet's entering on the back of his skull and exploding from the top of his skull. But he's wrong in thinking an M/C bullet incapable of creating such damage should it enter tangentially, and explode.

This is discussed in detail in chapters 16 and 16b of my webpage.

Chapter 16

65mmwounds.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

But he's wrong in thinking an M/C bullet incapable of creating such damage should it enter tangentially, and explode.

Why would an M/C bullet (FMJ) explode?

Nuff said

O'Connor is right. The large defect on Kennedy's skull is inconsistent with a bullet's entering on the back of his skull and exploding from the top of his skull. But he's wrong in thinking an M/C bullet incapable of creating such damage should it enter tangentially, and explode.

This is discussed in detail in chapters 16 and 16b of my webpage.

Chapter 16

65mmwounds.jpg